UGA recruiting drama of QB Justin Fields is fascinating to follow - By Chip Towers

SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,317 mod

By @Chip_Towers - DawgNation

ATHENS ― I’ve got to admit it. I’m pretty intrigued by just how the Justin Fields sweepstakes will turn out.

My interest and fascination with college football recruiting has peaked and waned through the years. As some of you might know, I covered recruiting full time for a short while. I’ve never doubted the importance of recruiting as the lifeblood of a program, but I’ve also grown cynical over the evaluation and ranking process. I’ve just seen too many 5-star busts, too many 2-star boons and too many nationally ranked classes fizzle out to put much stock in all the hype that comes with it.

That said, I find Fields’ situation fascinating. I can’t wait to see what happens with regards to Georgia.

Fields, as detailed many times by DawgNation recruiting reporter Jeff Sentell, is a 5-star quarterback prospect from Kennesaw’s Harrison High. He recently de-committed from Penn State. Suddenly, he is the Deep South’s most wanted man, and Georgia is in the thick of it.

I’m on record that the Bulldogs need to embrace the era of dual-threat quarterbacks and spread offenses. I wrote about that five months ago, not long after Clemson put a bow on its national championship behind the considerable talents of Deshaun Watson. At different times, Georgia coach Kirby Smart has indicated his willingness to get into that game as well.

Well, Fields was off the market until recently, locked down by Penn State’s James Franklin. Now he’s available, and everybody wants a piece of him. Just this week, he will have been on the campuses of universities located in Athens, Auburn, Tallahassee and Gainesville. All of them have a legitimate want and need for this young man.

Read the full story on DawgNation here - https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting-drama-of-justin-fields-fascinating-to-follow

Tagged:

Comments

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article by Chip Towers here. It was good to see how you reminded everyone of all of the 5 star busts over the years and the 2/3 star stars through the years. Sometimes fans forget that 3 star kids sometimes are 5 star college players.

• bobbypiperbobbypiper Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great points Chip, I find myself in the same boat.