My Take on Corral's Decommitment from USC

tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

http://247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Five-star-QB-Matt-Corral-de-commits-from-USC-53212945

Big surprise that Matt has decommitted. He was actively recruiting for the Trojans (including Ezzard) and described himself as a lifelong SC fan- which was his dream school. It was probably a mutual parting- not that that matters. ... Many of the (public) circumstances seem similar to Wray's decommitment from us in that he was committed so long to the program that you just knew the marriage was over when the news broke. I'd have to say I like our chances here because he visited Georgia for the spring game, likes the SEC, and seemed to bond with Big Jim. Florida and Bama are also options but I don't see him in Gainesville. Seems like we're in an okay position for Fields (though FSU probably leads- which is better than Florida or Auburn leading.) This may explain why we haven't pursued Littlejohn harder. At this point, I think we land either Corral or Fields, but feel best about Matt. Just my take...

Comments

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree totally! I prefer fields, but my guess is Corall is more likely

• booneyspencebooneyspence Posts: 92 ✭✭ Sophmore

I think FSU is very much in contention for Fields, I also think UGA is recruiting Corral very hard but I think the only way we'd take Matt's pledge is if Fields said he wasn't coming to Georgia. I think we're all in for Justin

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I want FIELDS ....... But will take Corral as a 2nd choice

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel Fields is more likely as his opportunity for playing time is greater than Corral as he provides a change of pace on offense so could play in year 1. Corral would be a like for like competition versus Eason and Fromm. UF may have turned to plan B for QB or Bama who has good luck in Ca recruiting and don't have a 2018 QB may have turned the heat up. Hope it's Fields to UGA and Corral to Bama.

• PortlanddawgPortlanddawg Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just watched Corral's Junior highlights for the first time. Can someone tell me why he's not considered a dual threat? This kid has wheels, he's quick and he's got a rifle for an arm! I'm not sure where the experts draw the line on DT QB's and Pro Stylers. I want Fields, but after seeing Corral's highlights, I feel a lot better about getting him, if it comes down to that.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Portlanddawg said:
    I just watched Corral's Junior highlights for the first time. Can someone tell me why he's not considered a dual threat? This kid has wheels, he's quick and he's got a rifle for an arm! I'm not sure where the experts draw the line on DT QB's and Pro Stylers. I want Fields, but after seeing Corral's highlights, I feel a lot better about getting him, if it comes down to that.

Bearing that in mind, maybe Fields to FSU and Corral to UGA is the best solution. That way we don't face the one we don't get unless ...... :)

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Considering UGA's reputation as an offense that is tailored more for "pro-style" QB's, and not having a track record of using Dual Threat QB's, my gut tells me that Mr. Fields ends up in Tallahassee with their track record, and Mr. Corral ends up in Athens with UGA's track record!

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@booneyspence said:
    I think FSU is very much in contention for Fields, I also think UGA is recruiting Corral very hard but I think the only way we'd take Matt's pledge is if Fields said he wasn't coming to Georgia. I think we're all in for Justin

I also agree that the coaching staff feels that Fields is the first priority- and would only take Matt's commitment if Justin went elsewhere. @Denmen185 , I am not sure what is going on with Justin. Georgia, FSU, Auburn and Florida all feel confident about their chances. It's just my thought process that FSU has a slight edge there because of Jimbo's reputation for developing quarterbacks and competing for a starting job with Bailey Hockman (who I'm not at very high on) with Georgia 2nd.

http://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Crystal-Ball-UGA-takes-lead-for-5-star-QB-53216456

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Palm_City_Dawg said:
    Considering UGA's reputation as an offense that is tailored more for "pro-style" QB's, and not having a track record of using Dual Threat QB's, my gut tells me that Mr. Fields ends up in Tallahassee with their track record, and Mr. Corral ends up in Athens with UGA's track record!

agreed; supposedly Fields likes Jimbo and the fact that he'd only be competing for a starting job with Bailey Hockman. Not much is known about his preferences at this point because he's playing things close to the vest. His commitment could come at any time. Even the recruiting experts are uncertain about where Justin will end up.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm just glad we are in it big time for both of these two big time recruits. Much better than a month or so ago with all the "sky is falling" chatter. Believe in the G, commit to the G

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 371 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Portlanddawg said:

He's definitely not a statue standing in the pocket, has good pocket awareness. His HS stats say he's ran for almost 800 yds the last 2 years. I was shocked to hear he'd decommitted from USC. He visited Athens last April, apparently the staff gave him something to think about.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the coaches are doing a lot of visits we don't know or hear about... we never even had a clue Isaiah Wilson was considering Georgia.. but Pittman was flying up there to his house every Wednesday for months! And zamir's coach talked about dell mcghee up there every week too... we have no idea how many times Chaney has been eating chicken at his parents table the last 3 months

• bobbypiperbobbypiper Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree ladawg, one thing that appears for certain is our coaches are not going to be out worked!