Florida State RB commit James Cook weighs in on the potential of a UGA flip

James Cook. Brother of Dalvin Cook. Nation's No. 3 RB prospect for 2018.

We've been talking about Zamir White and James Cook as the ideal pairing for UGA at RB for quite some time now. The kid doesn't say a whole lot, but that's what he's thinking about UGA this week.

Cook said he's not taking any more visits this summer. But I'd look for him to maybe get up to Athens at least one more time before his senior year at Miami Central gets underway. He's been up to Athens at least a couple of times this year.

Comments

• kenb1kenb1 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

hooray for the dawgs, take that fsu

• kenb1kenb1 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

we should be able to find a place for champ at uga

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 441 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know it's been said that Champ doesn't have coaching experience but you don't get to be one of the best corners in the NFL for years without knowing the game. I would love to see him and Hines coaching for the Dawgs.

• andycappsandycapps Posts: 294 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2017

@thehutch40 said:
    I know it's been said that Champ doesn't have coaching experience but you don't get to be one of the best corners in the NFL for years without knowing the game. I would love to see him and Hines coaching for the Dawgs.

What kind of relationships do both of them have with highschool coaches in the state? Coaching is part of the battle, of which neither of them have experience. They also don't have recruiting experience, which is what they're going to be doing the majority of the time.

Kirby isn't going to hire Hines or Champ as coaches as their first coaching gig. He shouldn't, this isn't a bottom tier college program. We should be going for proven coaches. Honestly, for the 10th coach I think it's going to be Kevin Butler as kicking coach. He's a student assistant or something now, but having one of the best kickers in the history of the game coaching your guys up would be huge. It's a role he's already been doing to some extent, along with the coaching clinics and one on one coaching he's done in the past. He gets kickers and understands the mental aspect better than anyone else.

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 441 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@andycapps good points. I definitely agree with the value Butler can bring. I'm a bit biased having worked with both of them (champ and Hines) during the offseason when they were playing in the NFL. I value their NFL experience and their personalities. I can wish right?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@andycapps said:
    What kind of relationships do both of them have with highschool coaches in the state? Coaching is part of the battle, of which neither of them have experience. They also don't have recruiting experience, which is what they're going to be doing the majority of the time.

I don't know what the reach of Champ, Ronald and Boss is to High Schools around the state, but it wouldn't take long to develop those relationships if you carry the pedigree Champ and the Bailey family possess. Any HS coach would welcome Champ's presence, observation and expertise to their practice, and the effect Champ could have on a recruit and his family in their living room while on the recruiting trail is immeasurable. All everything at UGA, multiple time Pro Bowler in the NFL, and probably a first round HOF inductee in 2019...Champ would carry a lot of weight with HS coaches and recruits alike!

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All interesting posts/thoughts. Will add one more -- is anyone convinced Champ would be looking to spend his days doggedly (dawgedly?) recruiting HS kids? I can definitely see him wanting to coach. Not sure I can see him wanting the required 24/7 texting/tweeting/traveling it takes these days to recruit.

• jaynole81jaynole81 Posts: 153 ✭✭ Sophomore

If I was Dalvin Cooks' brother I wouldn't want to follow him, too much pressure to live up to.

If nothing else, having Champ on staff would be a big deal. Doesn't have to be as an old field coach straight away. Could lead to that eventually as staff attrition occurs. I don't think Tucker will be around for more than another couple years, and I think Schumann is being groomed for the DC role. If Tucker leaves have Schumann be DC but obviously Kirby will be very involved with it like Saban was when Kirby was there, especially when he first started in that role.

Champ could take Tucker's spot as secondary coach.

Has he expressed any interest in coaching?

edited July 2017

@tiger_62082 said:

@andycapps said:
    If nothing else, having Champ on staff would be a big deal. Doesn't have to be as an old field coach straight away. Could lead to that eventually as staff attrition occurs. I don't think Tucker will be around for more than another couple years, and I think Schumann is being groomed for the DC role. If Tucker leaves have Schumann be DC but obviously Kirby will be very involved with it like Saban was when Kirby was there, especially when he first started in that role.

Champ could take Tucker's spot as secondary coach.

Has he expressed any interest in coaching?

Glenn Schumann is a little too green to be D Coordinator in my opinion. Kevin Sherrer would be my pick if we promote from within should Tucker land a head coaching gig in college. I'd probably lean towards going outside the staff and getting someone like Donte Williams from Nebraska. He's a solid defensive backs coach, has ties to the West Coast, and is a phenomenal recruiter. Williams is one of the top young coaches in college football.

Other names I'd consider for the DC should Mel get a promotion to a head coaching job & Champ isn't pursued would be:
    Tosh Lupoi
    Pete Kwiatkowski & Jimmy Lake (both of Washington)
    Bud Foster
    Kerry Coombs (in a co-defensive coordinator capacity)

Schumann is definitely green, I just see how that Belichik/Saban tree likes to groom young, up and coming coaches so that they can have them for a while rather than having consistent turnover. Kirby had 4 years of experience coaching at a P5 level before he got the DC gig at Bama. If my timeline stays consistent regarding Tucker moving on for other pastures in a couple years, then Schumann would have finished 3 or 4 at UGA. I think Tucker goes back to the pros where it's a lot less work.

Supposedly Schumann was a lot of the brains behind what they were doing at Bama on defense as far as understanding the scheme and breaking it down for players. This and the idea of Schumann being bumped up to DC isn't something I can take credit for. Heard Dean Legge of Dawg Post bring it up on his podcast last week.

I do like your list, though I'm not sure about Bud Foster being a possibility. I've always liked how his defenses played but he's been at VT so long I think he's a lifer. Lupoi I could definitely see because he's a great recruiter, and Kirby has put a lot of effort into getting great recruiters as coaches (Tucker not really known for it, however).

Venables would be top of my list but he's not moving for a lateral move, and he'll likely be a HC by then.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    Other names I'd consider for the DC should Mel get a promotion to a head coaching job & Champ isn't pursued would be:
    Tosh Lupoi
    Pete Kwiatkowski & Jimmy Lake (both of Washington)
    Bud Foster
    Kerry Coombs (in a co-defensive coordinator capacity)

@tiger_62082...you know how much I respect Coombs, but if there was an opportunity to get Lupoi, I'd say get on it right then and there, regardless of cost!