"Follow the visits" logic says that Auburn has a shot with major 4-star target Kearis Jackson

What's on the Intel docket today:

• What's the latest Jackson timeline?
  • Why Jackson has made so many visits to Auburn?
  • Justin Fields on Jackson?
  • It looks like it is Top 5 season.
  • Another leftover nugget from yesterday regarding Rick Sandidge Jr.

Comments

• godawgsgodawgs Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2017

Logic also said Brenton Cox should have committed to the Dawgs if we were following the visits...

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ugh Jeff, you're going to give me stomach ulcers. The Dawgs need to be at about 12 commitments before the season starts. Especially with this early signing period being an option for recruits in December.

• DawginknoxvilleDawginknoxville Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2017

But people call me out cause I speak facts. Our recruiting is falling behind and we are gonna miss on all our top prospects.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This doesn't look good. There may be some actual validity in some of the AU ppl believing Fields is heading to the Plains. Really hope this doesn't happen.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2017

If Jackson thinks it is [kinda] cold in Oregon during mornings in July, I think OSU and Michigan can't possibly be contenders.

After reading Sentell's piece on Jackson, I am surprised he isn't already committed to Auburn.

Perhaps he is following Fields.

One particular statement that really had me scratching my head was Jackson's belief that there is a 90% chance that he and Fields would play together.

I don't know if this revelation is conjecture or something meaningful.

As a wise man once said, follow the visits.

• MetalDawgMetalDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Why do WR go to Auburn to die lol...

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No need to worry guys. Even if Fields and Jackson commit to Auburn, they'll both decommit when Gus Malzahn gets fired in November. I'd say even earlier but their season is front-loaded with easy games, so I'm saying November.

I'm calling it now. This is the third strike for Gus' transfer QB that doesn't pan out. Auburn has a rough season.

It should be noted I have no basis for this opinion whatsoever. This is 100% conjecture.

• DawginknoxvilleDawginknoxville Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    Here is my bottom line re all the uncommitted players that are long-time Georgia "locks" per crystal ball projections. They remain UNCOMMITTED. This fact shouldn't be dismissed or ignored. As evidenced by how the Stephon Wynn (or Markaviest Bryant or Brenton Cox....and potentially Trey Dean, now) situation played out, we should be sweating every one of these guys regardless of their long-time projected status. Until we get some positive momentum based on actual commitments of our own rather than just de-commitments from other schools (e.g., Fields, Cook, and Anderson), I will remain wary and concerned about this class.

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    Here is my bottom line re all the uncommitted players that are long-time Georgia "locks" per crystal ball projections. They remain UNCOMMITTED. This fact shouldn't be dismissed or ignored. As evidenced by how the Stephon Wynn (or Markaviest Bryant or Brenton Cox....and potentially Trey Dean, now) situation played out, we should be sweating every one of these guys regardless of their long-time projected status. Until we get some positive momentum based on actual commitments of our own rather than just de-commitments from other schools (e.g., Fields, Cook, and Anderson), I will remain wary and concerned about this class.

yep. this class the way its looking will be lucky to be top 20.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The sky is falling.... The sky is falling.... Very familiar to posts about 4 months ago.... Its obvious that Kirby is in over his head and has No idea about how to recruit.

Now that that is out of my system... Lets wait and see how the season (and maybe the month) plays out...

• godawgsgodawgs Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fields, Jackson, and Adam Anderson are all likely to visit Alabama next week. When they do, you can bet the negative nellies on this board will switch from they're all going to Auburn to they're all going to Alabama.

@Dawginknoxville said:

@BamaDawg said:
    The sky is falling.... The sky is falling.... Very familiar to posts about 4 months ago.... Its obvious that Kirby is in over his head and has No idea about how to recruit.

Now that that is out of my system... Lets wait and see how the season (and maybe the month) plays out...

It will be a dud like every other day for this recruiting class outside of June 27th

Ahhh says the TROLL.... So getting the #1 running back in the nation was a did day???? Dude, everyone knows you're not a fan.... Go back to the "Champions of Life."

edited July 2017

@dawg said:
    The sky is NOT falling. I just read on the 247 board that we are the leader for cook according to his mother. UGA is in a good spot to land the no. 1 and no.3 rb's, the no 1 dual threat, the no 1 olb, the no. 3 tight end, and the no. 2 safety. Trust in our staff. They know what they're doing.

See @Dawginknoxville (TROLL).... This is a fan

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JeffSentell said:
    @ihateusernames ... Got a remedy here for those stomach ulcers, sir.

Just what the doctor ordered. That's why you're my favorite read on Dawgnation.

• andycappsandycapps Posts: 294 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2017

@tiger_62082 said:

@mattmd2 said:
    No need to worry guys. Even if Fields and Jackson commit to Auburn, they'll both decommit when Gus Malzahn gets fired in November. I'd say even earlier but their season is front-loaded with easy games, so I'm saying November.

I'm calling it now. This is the third strike for Gus' transfer QB that doesn't pan out. Auburn has a rough season.

It should be noted I have no basis for this opinion whatsoever. This is 100% conjecture.

Don't underestimate Stidham. You're doing yourself a disservice by doing so. We won't be able to rely solely on the defense to win that game this year. Our offense will have to put up points because Jarrett and Auburn's more pass-friendly offense will score more TDs this year.

Stidham is not the perfect QB for Malzahn that everyone in the media says he is. The perfect QB
    for Malzahn is Cam Newton. Stidham is not a runner. He's a great QB that would be perfect in an air raid offense. Malzahn's is not that. His new OC is an air raid guy so it could be interesting.

Can Auburn's offense become that? Yes, but Stidham is hypothetically the perfect QB for a system we haven't seen at Auburn thus far. Don't be fooled by the stats he put up at the spring game. That was against the second string. And Auburn's first string wasn't exactly that great last year.

Just not drinking the Auburn kool aid this year and I wonder if many of the national media are that familiar with Auburn to say the things they do about "perfect QB for that system."

• chiefdogchiefdog Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stidham is not the perfect QB for Malzahn that everyone in the media says he is. The perfect QB
    for Malzahn is Cam Newton. Stidham is not a runner. He's a great QB that would be perfect in an air raid offense. Malzahn's is not that. His new OC is an air raid guy so it could be interesting.

Can Auburn's offense become that? Yes, but Stidham is hypothetically the perfect QB for a system we haven't seen at Auburn thus far. Don't be fooled by the stats he put up at the spring game. That was against the second string. And Auburn's first string wasn't exactly that great last year.

Just not drinking the Auburn kool aid this year and I wonder if many of the national media are that familiar with Auburn to say the things they do about "perfect QB for that system."

This ^^^^^^ x 10000000. Jarrett Stidham was great in a more pass oriented spread for a 3-4 game stretch a couple of years ago. Why was it only 3-4 games? Because when they tried to run him he got hurt. Auburn's system has traditionally run much better when the QB is a run threat. Malzahn has never been able to figure out the passing game without the QB run crutch. Stidham will break in the traditional Auburn run game. So what gives?

As for Kearis, I think/ hope he pays a ton of attention to Nate Craig-Myers' usage last year and this year. NCM had 4 catches last year. Jackson is rated lower than both NCM and Kyle Davis. Neither had a great year last year and don't project to have much better this year as Auburn's top WR last year only had 31 catches.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Other than Oklahoma who plays defense in the big 12?

• chiefdogchiefdog Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Having followed Stidham since high school, I can attest to his dual threat abilities. He was recruited by Art Briles to Baylor as a DT and demonstrated that when he was (healthy) at Baylor. That kid has wheels and can use them.

I don't know how this turned into a Stidham thread but let's put an end to this right now. Stidham reportedly ran a 4.57 out of high school. Jeremy Johnson ran a 4.51 at Auburn. Johnson couldn't run the ball effectively enough so they focused on his passing skills and the offense crumbled. Sean White wasn't big enough to hold up to the punishment and he is roughly the same size as Stidham (6'0" 205 vs. 6'2" 210).

Nick Marshall averaged 71 ypg rushing during his time at Auburn. Cam averaged over 100 ypg. If Stidham can't be a legit run threat (he's never run for more than 36 yards in any game btw), that offense isn't going to function properly. As for your Chip Lindsey comments, good for him. The reports were last year that Rhett Lashlee (seen as a real up and coming coaching prospect) left for CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!! because Malzahn wouldn't stop meddling on offense. I'll believe a non-running threat at QB can make them a juggernaut when I see it.

@tiger_62082 said:

@andycapps said:

I don't agree. First off, Malzahn handed the reigns over to the new offensive coordinator, Chip Lindsey, who came over from Todd Graham's Arizona State squad. I've followed Graham for the longest (Rice on to ASU). His teams play zero defense and air it out. Want to see the closest game ever to a video game? Watch Texas Tech at Arizona State last year. That game was ridiculous! Needless to say this won't be the Auburn offense of old.

Having followed Stidham since high school, I can attest to his dual threat abilities. He was recruited by Art Briles to Baylor as a DT and demonstrated that when he was (healthy) at Baylor. That kid has wheels and can use them.

I just typed out a 3 paragraph response and the site ate it somehow, so that's not great.

I mentioned that Chip Lindsey was an air raid guy. Lindsey is a great hire, I enjoy watching the air raid. I'm not completely sold that Malzahn can resist tinkering with the scheme when the losses start to occur.

There's a lot to assume in a new coordinator with a completely different scheme than Malzahn's triple option/zone read. It's also assuming that athletes that were recruited for another scheme can adapt to it.

Stidham has a ton of talent, no question. A kid with 70 total rushing yards on 36 attempts doesn't scare me. What would worry me if I'm them is if a kid that thin that has already been injured rushing can stay healthy running against defensive fronts of Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Clemson. Those defenses are light years in size and speed from anything in the Big 12, except maybe Oklahoma who may be closer.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@andycapps said:

I don't agree. First off, Malzahn handed the reigns over to the new offensive coordinator, Chip Lindsey, who came over from Todd Graham's Arizona State squad. I've followed Graham for the longest (Rice on to ASU). His teams play zero defense and air it out. Want to see the closest game ever to a video game? Watch Texas Tech at Arizona State last year. That game was ridiculous! Needless to say this won't be the Auburn offense of old.

Glad we're playing .Auburn late in the season then. Give the young guys in our secondary a chance to adjust to college ball.

@chiefdog said:

I don't know how this turned into a Stidham thread but let's put an end to this right now. Stidham reportedly ran a 4.57 out of high school. Jeremy Johnson ran a 4.51 at Auburn. Johnson couldn't run the ball effectively enough so they focused on his passing skills and the offense crumbled. Sean White wasn't big enough to hold up to the punishment and he is roughly the same size as Stidham (6'0" 205 vs. 6'2" 210).

Nick Marshall averaged 71 ypg rushing during his time at Auburn. Cam averaged over 100 ypg. If Stidham can't be a legit run threat (he's never run for more than 36 yards in any game btw), that offense isn't going to function properly. As for your Chip Lindsey comments, good for him. The reports were last year that Rhett Lashlee (seen as a real up and coming ing prospect) left for CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!! because Malzahn wouldn't stop meddling on offense. I'll believe a non-running threat at QB can make them a juggernaut when I see it.

You're arguing based on Auburn's past offensive scheme. Tiger is arguing that with a new offensive coordinator, that scheme is about to change substantially.

And, it's entirely possible you needed a big QB to effectively run the ball in Auburn's past offense. I have no idea. But it is possible in some offensive schemes to run the ball even with a smaller quarterback. See Michael Vick as the classic example.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@chiefdog said:

Nick Marshall averaged 71 ypg rushing during his time at Auburn. Cam averaged over 100 ypg. If Stidham can't be a legit run threat (he's never run for more than 36 yards in any game btw), that offense isn't going to function properly. As for your Chip Lindsey comments, good for him. The reports were last year that Rhett Lashlee (seen as a real up and coming ing prospect) left for CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!! because Malzahn wouldn't stop meddling on offense. I'll believe a non-running threat at QB can make them a juggernaut when I see it.

You're arguing based on Auburn's past offensive scheme. Tiger is arguing that with a new offensive coordinator, that scheme is about to change substantially.

And, it's entirely possible you needed a big QB to effectively run the ball in Auburn's past offense. I have no idea. But it is possible in some offensive schemes to run the ball even with a smaller quarterback. See Michael Vick as the classic example.

I am not arguing, just saying that I am not scared of a QB because he put up fair numbers in a few games in the NO D Big12. We will get an SEC welcome he will remember.

@Denmen185 said:

@levander said:

@chiefdog said:

I am not arguing, just saying that I am not scared of a QB because he put up fair numbers in a few games in the NO D Big12. We will get an SEC welcome he will remember.

My post wasn't in response to you. Look at the top of it. It was in response to CheifDog.

@Denmen185 said:

@levander said:

@chiefdog said:

Are you posting on here with multiple ID's? It was @andycapps who made the post about not being scared of Stidham's running.

@levander said:

@Denmen185 said:

@levander said:

@chiefdog said:

Are you posting on here with multiple ID's? It was @andycapps who made the post about not being scared of Stidham's running.

Not the same person, but I'm assuming in this case that two people arrived at the same conclusion.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tiger_62082 I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but the scores here http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=106580&SPID=13139&Q_SEASON=2016 tell me that the Big 12 doesn't play much defense.

• dtf53dtf53 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

Idk why yall are arguing over people and their opinions... My opinion is to not sleep on Stidham. If you don't like it, cool. If you agree, cool. If you are on here to start an argument and not to give/ receive info related to UGA or their opponents then get a life and get off.