Possible FLIPS?

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What are the chances that we could flip Jeffries or Brenton Cox with a good season this year?

Any other possibilities? Otis Reese, Kyler McMicheal, Justin Mascoll or Derrik Allen?

Comments

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If OSU gets Parsons I would put Cox at 50%. Other possibilities in order of likelihood are Frierson (75%), Wynn (50%), Reese (50%) and McMichael (33%). Allen is likely not being pursued given he was told that we really don't have a position for him - I think our DB needs are 2-3 cover corners (6'2" with speed) and Safety/ILB hybrids (good tacklers for run support). Mascoll also not sure how hard we are trying given we have Azeez, Tannor and hopefully Anderson.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After Solomon going to Michigan I think Reese would be tougher.
    Would love to flip Wynn (big need even if we can get Wyatt back).
    If we could flip Frierson and land Tyreke Johnson I'd be really happy with dbs

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Regardless of Parsons, I'd put Cox at about 10% chance. IMO, the only potential flip we have a decent shot at is Frierson; that does not count decommits like Cook, Anderson etc.

@tiger_62082 said:

@bmauldin said:
    What are the chances that we could flip Jeffries or Brenton Cox with a good season this year?

Any other possibilities? Otis Reese, Kyler McMicheal, Justin Mascoll or Derrik Allen?

Jeffries seems locked into Clemson. I saw an interview recently & he was excited to get there. I've seen no evidence of Cox flipping. From his Twitter to his public declarations to his buying into Money Bag Meyer giving him the best shot to get to the league, any chatter of him reversing course, at this point, is wishful thinking IMHO. Auburn, rather than Georgia, is the primary threat to Clemson for McMichael at this stage. The staff made a decision not to pursue Mascoll and I tend to agree with that course of action. I don't see that changing. Otis Reese is probably the best candidate on your list to flip. He's been to Georgia more than once over the past few months. Since he doesn't speak to the media, any decommitment will likely be rather sudden with no buildup. Wynn is likely to stick with Bama unless Saban or Pruitt tell him to kick rocks - unlikely because of his abilities and the Tide's need for DL this cycle. We bungled Allen's recruitment early on - despite his sister being a student at Georgia - and are trying to make up for it (after he has committed to Notre Dame). I think he remains committed to Notre Dame so long as Brian Kelly is head coach. Should Kelly be relieved of his duties, and Georgia will have a role to play in this, then all bets are off. A lot of people on this forum are convinced that Gilbert Frierson flips, but I'm not convinced yet. I'm taking a wait and see approach with him. I know the staff would love to flip Robert Cooper, Jaiden Woodbey, and Max Wray, but those guys appear solidly committed. Emmitt Gooden, Quindarious Monday and Alontae Taylor are other names the staff would love to flip in the class of 2018.

I personally wouldn't go for Gooden as I think any DT needs are not imminent but more 2019/20-> and so a JC transfer is not ideal IMO. Don't pretend to know Kirby's thoughts on him.

Jeffries seems locked into Clemson. I saw an interview recently & he was excited to get there. I've seen no evidence of Cox flipping. From his Twitter to his public declarations to his buying into Money Bag Meyer giving him the best shot to get to the league, any chatter of him reversing course, at this point, is wishful thinking IMHO. Auburn, rather than Georgia, is the primary threat to Clemson for McMichael at this stage. The staff made a decision not to pursue Mascoll and I tend to agree with that course of action. I don't see that changing. Otis Reese is probably the best candidate on your list to flip. He's been to Georgia more than once over the past few months. Since he doesn't speak to the media, any decommitment will likely be rather sudden with no buildup. Wynn is likely to stick with Bama unless Saban or Pruitt tell him to kick rocks - unlikely because of his abilities and the Tide's need for DL this cycle. We bungled Allen's recruitment early on - despite his sister being a student at Georgia - and are trying to make up for it (after he has committed to Notre Dame). I think he remains committed to Notre Dame so long as Brian Kelly is head coach. Should Kelly be relieved of his duties, and Georgia will have a role to play in this, then all bets are off. A lot of people on this forum are convinced that Gilbert Frierson flips, but I'm not convinced yet. I'm taking a wait and see approach with him. I know the staff would love to flip Robert Cooper, Jaiden Woodbey, and Max Wray, but those guys appear solidly committed. Emmitt Gooden, Quindarious Monday and Alontae Taylor are other names the staff would love to flip in the class of 2018.

Wray was a confusing situation for me. Seemed dead-set on the Dawgs... guess he wasn't interested in competing for a spot...

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 335 ✭✭✭ Junior

Frierson is a legit flip. Cox is a pipe dream

@dawgnms said:
    Frierson is a legit flip. Cox is a pipe dream

I figured as much with Cox. He made comments that he was trying to help recruit for them now...

Was hoping with the family ties that they might help persuade him.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't see Cox flipping

@tiger_62082 said:
    I wrote Max Wray when I was thinking of Max Wright, the defensive end that's committed to Texas A&M. The staff would love to flip Wright. We've probably closed the book on Wray.

Closed it, wrapped it and burned it like the SS in 1939!

@tiger_62082 said:

@bmauldin said:

Wray was a confusing situation for me. Seemed dead-set on the Dawgs... guess he wasn't interested in competing for a spot...

I wrote Max Wray when I was thinking of Max Wright, the defensive end that's committed to Texas A&M. The staff would love to flip Wright. We've probably closed the book on Wray.

Tough pull but would love to get him.

@tiger_62082 said:
    I don't agree with any of this post. We have been interested in Gooden for a while - and especially since Tray Scott came aboard as the two have familiarity with one another. Jeff and other Georgia experts have written extensively on this. In fact, it was quite a surprise to many that he committed to Arkansas. I actually think we need defensive tackles and the serious offers and attention to targets at that position reflect that. Our strong pursuit of Cooper, Jeffries, Vincent, Walthour, Gooden, Tremblay and Sandidge is illustrative of his. (Also we went very light on DT last cycle and Wyatt's status for 2018 is uncertain right now). You don't want to go too many cycles with getting pocket collapsers. Ideally, JUCO linemen come in more ready to play than freshmen. And most only use up two - and sometimes, one - year of scholarships. It's really the best of both worlds because the younguns get to take their time developing and aren't forced into the fire. This last point is what @MinnesotaDawg and @ihateusernames were pointing out about one of the fallbacks of pulling Murchison's scholarship and allocating it to one of the reaches in the secondary. You can never have too many big men up front and if Much didn't work out, you only are guaranteed 2 years of that spot. Contrast that with a couple of the guys we signed at cornerback - one who has been moved to safety! - and you're guaranteed that slot for four or even five years.

I'm with you on this, @tiger_62082...although Jeff Sentell said recently on a podcast that CKS was going lighter on DT commitments due to the number we have on the roster. That said, if the "cupboards" aren't replenished, when the exodus of DT's occur based on their respective class, there will be far fewer on the roster. Taking into account CKS's propensity for DT's being capable of going full speed on the gridiron whenever they are out there, a numerous and healthy rotation of DT's is mandatory for executing the defense in the manner which CKS demands!

@tiger_62082 said:

@Denmen185 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@bmauldin said:

I personally wouldn't go for Gooden as I think any DT needs are not imminent but more 2019/20-> and so a JC transfer is not ideal IMO. Don't pretend to know Kirby's thoughts on him.

I don't agree with any of this post. We have been interested in Gooden for a while - and especially since Tray Scott came aboard as the two have familiarity with one another. Jeff and other Georgia experts have written extensively on this. In fact, it was quite a surprise to many that he committed to Arkansas. I actually think we need defensive tackles and the serious offers and attention to targets at that position reflect that. Our strong pursuit of Cooper, Jeffries, Vincent, Walthour, Gooden, Tremblay and Sandidge is illustrative of his. (Also we went very light on DT last cycle and Wyatt's status for 2018 is uncertain right now). You don't want to go too many cycles with getting pocket collapsers. Ideally, JUCO linemen come in more ready to play than freshmen. And most only use up two - and sometimes, one - year of scholarships. It's really the best of both worlds because the younguns get to take their time developing and aren't forced into the fire. This last point is what @MinnesotaDawg and @ihateusernames were pointing out about one of the fallbacks of pulling Murchison's scholarship and allocating it to one of the reaches in the secondary. You can never have too many big men up front and if Much didn't work out, you only are guaranteed 2 years of that spot. Contrast that with a couple of the guys we signed at cornerback - one who has been moved to safety! - and you're guaranteed that slot for four or even five years.

In 2016 our D Line was a strength. For 2017 we have zero losses from 2/3 deep and add Clark (RS 16), Herring and Barnett (4* DL back from OL). Even if we lose 3 (max) and we add Wyatt we certainly only need 1 more. I would look for someone to develop rather than a JUCO who will be gone when we need him. After all we have Marshall, Carter and Barnett (with eligibility through 2019), Clark, Herring and Wyatt (2020). We also are trying Manac at DE and Beal could follow the same path plus we have a good shot at some 2019 players. Therefore, I go with Wyatt and a 4* with that necessitating slow playing Becton with a back up Wyatt and Becton.

Bottom line IMO we don't need a DL recruit that is only eligible 2018 and 2019 which I assume is the case with Gooden

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man, @tiger_62082 has got one steal trap of a memory on him. Well the good news is that the front 7 looked dominant against App State when they wanted to be.

Bad news is Thompson is probably gone after this season.

Sounds like Wyatt will be part of this recruiting class though. So hopefully Georgia can pull in 2 more quality defensive tackles to balance out the numbers. My best guest is Walthour (I'm sure he loved seeing his former high school team LeCountee getting tons of playing time) and Trout (but we clearly have work to do to sign him, but the fact that we've put the full court press on Sandidge for sometime, but he just keeps getting closure and closure to South Carolina means the staff should probably start to target other players)

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't see Cox flipping either. What I do see happening is a big year for D-line in 2019. Similar to 2015 and 2016, only better. Consider the following leans and early predictions: Trayvon Walker, Dante Walker, commit Rashad Cheney, Curtis Fann, and Derrick McLendon. LB: Looking strong as well with Grayson star Kevin Harris a strong lean and commit J.D. Bertrand. Also ATH. Trezman Marshall who I believe projects as a LB. And this is just in the state of Ga!

@MarkBoknecht said:
    Don't see Cox flipping either. What I do see happening is a big year for D-line in 2019. Similar to 2015 and 2016, only better. Consider the following leans and early predictions: Trayvon Walker, Dante Walker, commit Rashad Cheney, Curtis Fann, and Derrick McLendon. LB: Looking strong as well with Grayson star Kevin Harris a strong lean and commit J.D. Bertrand. Also ATH. Trezman Marshall who I believe projects as a LB. And this is just in the state of Ga!

That is why the staff are only going for 2 this year of which I hope Wyatt is one. I think Kirby will want to get it buttoned up in the Dec 20-22 signing period but unlikely that either will be early entrants unless Wyatt needs it to maintain eligibility.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love how wrong we all were about Cox flipping. No way I thought he was ever leaving Ohio

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the probability of Cox flipping was low at this point last year. Everything else had to fall together correctly for it to happen. I doubt anyone here thought we'd contend for the NC either, then you have the rather poor play of OSU as well. When that calculus changed, the odds of us landing Cox changed with it

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lol, good Resurrection thread, we flipped pretty much everybody Kirby wanted

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bigger than Cox was the flip of Mays. I called it and everyone thought I was nuts. No Way a TN legacy leaves the Vols. WAY. That one was the biggest statement. Reese was expected, he never went to A2 and was in Athens every weekend. I was worried Cox was going to be another Aubrey Solomon, glad he wasn’t and I’m probably most excited about Walker because maybe that finally opens Cordele back up for us.

@HerschelismyHero said:
    Bigger than Cox was the flip of Mays. I called it and everyone thought I was nuts. No Way a TN legacy leaves the Vols. WAY. That one was the biggest statement. Reese was expected, he never went to A2 and was in Athens every weekend. I was worried Cox was going to be another Aubrey Solomon, glad he wasn’t and I’m probably most excited about Walker because maybe that finally opens Cordele back up for us.

By “another Aubrey Solomon,” I take that to mean “an amazing talent that was sold a false bill of sale to play for a wind-bag, used car salesman in the frozen tundra surrounded by mediocre (at best) looking women that all brag about how many slices of pie they can eat at one sitting.”

Was that your meaning? Or did you mean “troll?”

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 12

@bmauldin said:

By “another Aubrey Solomon,” I take that to mean “an amazing talent that was sold a false bill of sale to play for a wind-bag, used car salesman in the frozen tundra surrounded by mediocre (at best) looking women that all brag about how many slices of pie they can eat at one sitting.”

Was that your meaning? Or did you mean “troll?”

YES!!! Exactly!!!!

I can only respond to that with an Up Vote. Too funny. Both are correct. I went to Michigan, undergrad, the women comment, well, suffice it to say they don’t wear those big, long jackets for no reason. They cover a lot of that pie.