Holyfield

BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 56 ✭ Freshman

I know he was suspended for this game but I'm kinda wondering if he really has a future at Georgia.......I'm not sure he does.

Comments

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

I noticed that Preferred Walk-On #24 Prather Hudson who I assume is the 6th Team TB was playing on special teams.

Holyfield messed up with the incident off the field but he seems to be well liked by the other players and I don't think he is any kind of a problem in the locker room. You can never have too much depth at RB so I imagine Kirby wants to keep him around. I assume Holyfield will travel to Notre Dame and I expect he would get some carries against Samford. Georgia will always be able to attract quality running backs so I see no reason to try and red-shirt him.

BTW, what is the NCAA number for the total players who can dress on the travel squad? The number allowed might mean that if Hudson continues to play special teams he might actually be the emergency RB and Holyfield might not travel at this point.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    I noticed that Preferred Walk-On #24 Prather Hudson who I assume is the 6th Team TB was playing on special teams.

Holyfield messed up with the incident off the field but he seems to be well liked by the other players and I don't think he is any kind of a problem in the locker room. You can never have too much depth at RB so I imagine Kirby wants to keep him around. I assume Holyfield will travel to Notre Dame and I expect he would get some carries against Samford. Georgia will always be able to attract quality running backs so I see no reason to try and red-shirt him.

BTW, what is the NCAA number for the total players who can dress on the travel squad? The number allowed might mean that if Hudson continues to play special teams he might actually be the emergency RB and Holyfield might not travel at this point.

Other than injury you NEVER red shirt a RB. If they are any good they won't stay 5 years and if they are not you don't need to tie up a scholarship for 5 years.

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 252 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have someone named Holyfield on our team?

• ugakirkugakirk Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

@dawghouse said:
    We have someone named Holyfield on our team?

Elijah Holyfield. He's Evanders son

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm beginning to consider Kirby's deal that if you want to come and compete for a spot, let's go! If after 2 years serious playing time isn't obvious, you should transfer.

So long Elijah! It's too bad because I was really looking forward to watching you play.

• PigeonsPigeons Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

He will play this week against ND. He was suspended.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 360 ✭✭✭ Junior

Holyfield didn't get reps along with Ridley because of the one game suspension. I expect Holyfield to get some reps next weekend even if it's just Special Teams.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophmore

Yeah, don't discount the idea of studs playing on STs. They made a big deal last night about one of Bama's top RBs blocking a punt and setting up a score (Harris).

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 56 ✭ Freshman

Someone tell me if I am wrong but Holyfield didn't get an offensive play all night......He played special teams and had that nice run that was called back but nothing on offense.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I heard from someone behind the scenes that he didn't have the best attitude last year when he went down the depth chart to Brian Herrien...
    There is a little more to it, but he seemed to use his energy to pout instead of push.

Did Holyfield even get to be the kickoff return guy after that first massive run? I don't remember seeing him.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior

Holyfield, in his two appearances, looked powerful. I hope we see more of him in the future.

There must be a reason why Holyfield isn't seeing more playing time.

Then again, there is some traffic.

1 - Chubb
    2 - Michell
    3 - Herrien
    4 - Swift
    5 - Holyfield

Not a bad problem to have.

With Zeus and possibly Cook on the way, (as Vern Lundquist would say) "My goodness".

@Reeldawg said:
    Holyfield, in his two appearances, looked powerful. I hope we see more of him in the future.

1 - Chubb
    2 - Michell
    3 - Herrien
    4 - Swift
    5 - Holyfield

With Zeus and possibly Cook on the way, (as Vern Lundquist would say) "My goodness".

After hearing Kirby say after the game "We need to get the ball in #7's hands more ... and I'm not talking Lorenzo Carter", I think we could soon see that ranking as Herrien 3A / Swift 3B. There could be some further separation for Holyfield to overcome. Zeus, as you mention, on his way too. Unfortunately I think it's probable we see him transfer. That would be a bummer for me as a Dawg fan, but the guy looks too good not to be playing.

@Reeldawg said:

1 - Chubb
    2 - Michell
    3 - Herrien
    4 - Swift
    5 - Holyfield

But what if Herrien and Holyfield transfer? They're both good enough to start other places. Is Herrien gonna be happy playing 3rd fiddle to underclassmen Swift and Zeus? How is that gonna look on his NFL resume? And we're losing Chubb and Michel by rule.

That leaves us with Swift + '18 recruits (Zeus, maybe Cook, others...)

All the sudden the depth chart for '18 doesn't look so hot.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 115 ✭✭ Sophmore

'18 Depth Chart looks great in my opinion.

Zeus, Swift, Herrian, and Holyfield for sure. I dont see Herrian leaving after all we did and he did to get here. Swift will probably be a #3 throughout his career. I see Holyfield actually being our #2 next year. I think he steps up at some point this year. The wild card is Cook if Cook signs he takes a version of what Swift is doing in rotation.

I just cant comprehend not using two power backs in Zeus and Holyfield like Bama has previously with their RB arsenal.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 75 ✭✭ Sophmore

Nobody is going to transfer, at least not before next year. Holyfield and Herrian have to feel good about their chances to get quality carries. Holyfield will be our only true between the tackles back, other than maybe true freshman Zeus.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior

As soon as @sethemerson posts his mailbag, I am going to beg him to do a story on Holyfield's lack of play.

The high ankle sprain healed long ago.

On a different note:

Wouldn't Samford be a great game to test out Holyfield's abilities.

• chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Reeldawg said:
    As soon as @sethemerson posts his mailbag, I am going to beg him to do a story on Holyfield's lack of play.

On a different note:

Agreed. Let the young pups show out for a bit.

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 135 ✭✭ Sophmore

Herrien needs to be last in depth, hasn't impressed me

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Reeldawg said:

On a different note:

From friends inside program: it's how he dealt with demotion last year that is still affecting him.

He didn't use it to grow, he used it to pout and moan about demotion.

He is a STUD and if he pushed hard, he and swift could be a 1-2 punch to be reckoned with.

And Zeus in and cook with line development we could have our own "4 horsemen!"

It's going to be Zeus and Swift carrying the load for the next few years, and that includes if Cook comes onboard.

edited September 11

@Reeldawg said:

On a different note:

I remember Seth in the past saying it's become clear Kirby likes to use two main backs, then a third sparingly. And he compared it to what Alabama does saying they do something similar.

Herrien was #3 last year. Holyfield was #4. Thus, very few carries for Holyfield.

I'd love it if neither Holyfield nor Herrien transfer. I just think I would if I were them. But I'd wait till the end of the season to decide for sure. And it's possible Kirby changes something in order to try keep those guys.I know I would look to do that if I were Kirby. But I don't know how much he can change. It's not like he can make them starters over guys who are at least as good and probably more versatile.

We might actually be okay with recruiting 3 RB's this year, then having them plus Swift next year. My understanding is RB takes less time to develop than other spots.

edited September 11

@Dakota_Nester said:
    I know Zeus is this monster coming in next year, but it would not surprise me in the least to see Swift #1 on the 2018 depth chart. The kid is a monster, and does all the right things on and off the field. There's a reason "#7 needs the ball in his hands more" even with Chubb and Sony still around. The kid is legit.

Very good point, didn't mean to imply Zeus would be automatic #1, I don't think that all. I've been praising Swift's talents in this forum since last winter. Meant to imply both he and Zeus will carry the load like Chubb/Michel. I even posted a couple of months ago that I think they can not only be as good, but have a fair chance at surpassing the accomplishments of Nick/Sony (which is saying something since they will finish up as our best combo ever).

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawghouse said:

@Dakota_Nester said:
    I know Zeus is this monster coming in next year, but it would not surprise me in the least to see Swift #1 on the 2018 depth chart. The kid is a monster, and does all the right things on and off the field. There's a reason "#7 needs the ball in his hands more" even with Chubb and Sony still around. The kid is legit.

Very good point, didn't mean to imply Zeus would be automatic #1, I don't think that all. I've been praising Swift's talents in this forum since last winter. Meant to imply both he and Zeus will carry the load like Chubb/Michel. I even posted a couple of months ago that I think they can not only be as good, but have a fair chance at surpassing the accomplishments of Nick/Sony (which is saying something since they will finish up as our best combo ever).

I figured that was where you were coming from, and I have seen your post about Swift and we're in the same mindset. It just seems he's being overlooked, and in my opinion, he's the clear #3 right now.

• donmdonm Posts: 472 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgy10 said:
    Herrien needs to be last in depth, hasn't impressed me

I disagree. This very forum has praised how hard he runs and what steal he was/is. He was very effective last year as the #3 Rb

• JMFDJMFD Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I like Herrien a LOT. He runs the ball well in all aspects. He is a bit vague and emotional on his twitter though. which is usually after a game where he wasn't utilized much. Hope he sticks around. He is a talented back for sure!