Wild Dawg

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This should be a fun thread:
What are your thoughts on the wild dawg?

Comments

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate it!
    If everyone knows we are going to run, I'd rather them do some variation of the wishbone.
    No one runs it in FBS.

• godawgs17godawgs17 Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophmore

Personally I think it can work but Chaney calls is at bad times i.e. In the first quarter when Sony was stuffed for little gain. And when we ran it on 3rd down with Mecole and he didn't pickup the first down

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 11

I don't like it either.

But I hear people exaggerate about it so bad, they act like it's never once worked. The touchdown Michel scored against App St was out of the Wild Dawg.

That said, App St didn't have game footage to use to prepare for it. No doubt the ND coaches just told their players, "You see this formation here, where the QB runs all the way over to a receiver slot and there's no one in the backfield who can even throw it? That formation means they're snapping it to a guy who's gonna run to the side." Voila! Wild Dawg shut down.

• britishdawgbritishdawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophmore

I think it's a reasonable part of the playbook. I also understand that they are likely trying to keep their promise to Justin Fields that they will have formations that he can run should he come in year 1 should he come to Athens.

There are however 2 issues with it at the moment for me. 1. He's not calling it at the right times. It's not a play set that should be called early in a drive. I like the idea of using it on the 8th or 9th play when you have already gone 40-50 yards and have tired a defense out, but calling it on the 1st or 2nd is a mistake.

Secondly, I don't think they have quite got the movement necessary to make it work yet. The way these sets work is to have 2 or 3 actual run options and what we ran this week, it was far too obvious who was running with it. The one with Mecole, in particular, was a bad call at a bad time in a bad spot and then poorly executed.

I don't think we should throw it out of the playbook by any means. If used correctly, I think it could actually lead to some big plays. Like so much of the offense right now, however, it remains a work in progress.

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭ Junior

If we'd run it like kentucky does it MIGHT be more successful. They run it like a counter/power instead of an option play.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But with JF, they're more likely to run an RPO they in the wild dog. More options available.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 442 ✭✭✭ Junior

If it works it's good, if it doesn't work it's bad. There's my expert analysis.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

goes back to offensive line issues, always defenders in our backfield, maybe would be more effective later in drives, previous comment

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oline created very little running room, and no push. Like I tell my middle school team, if you don't block it does not matter what we run.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Quick hand-off to Payne was more effective. I'm not a fan of the "wild-dog."

I agree and think Payne has been effective several times the past few years including catching the ball. Although a bit smaller, what about mixing Holyfield in at times as the fullback and either Chubb / Michelle or Swift at TB. And not just on a third and short, maybe even first down to mix things up. Swift could run up the middle, TB off the edge or Holyfield could stay in and block to make up for some of the current problems with pass blocking. I thought Wynn played very well as he was very strong turning his man and creating a running seam.

• BradDogBradDog Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

The "poop dawg" offense!

edited September 11

Creating a bigger role for the fullback is the best bet I've heard for keeping Holyfield from transferring.

Not sure I would bite if I were Holyfield though. Kirby & Chaney have pretty much shown what they prefer with running backs. Kirby went so far as to say he doesn't really use fullbacks to which Christian Payne made a response that was publicly reported about, "Hey, wait a minute..." Not sure I would bite because what if you don't transfer, then they don't follow through?

If Holyfield is gonna bite on that, he needs to at least play it until Kirby makes a public comment saying he'll do it. Then there's something to hold over Kirby's head.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

It all goes back to the O line.....Tighten that up and those guys can wild dawg!

• dawgy1dawgy1 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophmore

If there's no threat of a pass from the wilddawg, it won't be as successful. Sooner or later we will need to throw one to establish that as a possibility.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bowl game against Penn state Godwin threw a long pass for td out of the wilddawg. It was set up by running the wild dawg a few times earlier in that game. That is what make lane kiffin a good oc. He runs different formation just to set you up later in the game.

• dawgy1dawgy1 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophmore

@ugadawgs07 said:
    Bowl game against Penn state Godwin threw a long pass for td out of the wilddawg. It was set up by running the wild dawg a few times earlier in that game. That is what make lane kiffin a good oc. He runs different formation just to set you up later in the game.

Yep, the wild dawg is basically used when you don't have a dual threat QB. Maybe we are setting things up for a pass?

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Rewatching the game, the WR blocking in the wild dog is pitiful as well. So many perimeter blockers just looked around and did little to nothing.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel like the Wild Dawg works maybe towards the goal line. And I agree with @daddydawg72 that Georgia should run it like Kentucky. It was baffling to see Georgia run that formation at 1st and 10. I didn't like it at all from that range. The problem with the Wild Dawg formation too, is that everybody knows it's going to be a run play so all they have to do is load the box and you can stop it.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't have a clue of there is any relevancy to this...but UGA is chasing the #1 recruit with a promise to have packages that will get him into the game, potentially as a freshman. I'm not a big fan of the Wild Dawg, but if it has a place in the arsenal, and will help a recruit like JF (or any other DT QB) see that there is a fit for him in Georgia's offense, perhaps they should give it a chance? Just speculating...

@Palm_City_Dawg said:
    I don't have a clue of there is any relevancy to this...but UGA is chasing the #1 recruit with a promise to have packages that will get him into the game, potentially as a freshman. I'm not a big fan of the Wild Dawg, but if it has a place in the arsenal, and will help a recruit like JF (or any other DT QB) see that there is a fit for him in Georgia's offense, perhaps they should give it a chance? Just speculating...

That's what it is.

But Chaney has balls if he keeps,running it with all the criticism he has taken for it.

How many times do you have to run it to show Fields what the deal is?

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ Junior

Terrible. They know the run is coming. What about a pass out of it?

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 442 ✭✭✭ Junior

So in theory you don't actually have to pass out of it. You can create a multitude of gaps to account for, but I haven't exactly seen that creativity yet. Hell its just a run play where you have to account for two people, it's not rocket science here. Run power, run counter, run jet, run trap, run zone. You don't have to pass out of it, but if you have someone who can do it sure.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you pass out of just once or twice all the sudden the team has to respect the pass and can't go flying up when they see run. Even if the pass is dropped or thrown out of bounds they still got to respect it

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:
    Rewatching the game, the WR blocking in the wild dog is pitiful as well. So many perimeter blockers just looked around and did little to nothing.

If you have someone who can pass, the WR don't need to block they need to get downfield to take the CB with them. The OL/TE need to seal the edges and the LG needs to pull and be lead blocker on the LB for runs to the right. The RG would be the lead blocker on runs to the left.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BTW. I agree with most above especially given it's hard for the LG to pull if the right side can't hold their ground and are being pushed back 2-3 yards.

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Denmen185 said:

@thehutch40 said:

If you have someone who can pass, the WR don't need to block they need to get downfield to take the CB with them. The OL/TE need to seal the edges and the LG needs to pull and be lead blocker on the LB for runs to the right. The RG would be the lead blocker on runs to the left.

Very true, but there isn't a passing threat as of now.

• RogueJimboRogueJimbo Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

It's hilarious to watch Chaney grasp at straws from 10 years ago, while trying to convince Justin Fields he can develop QB talent, and that he has a new top-secret offense that he's just waiting to unveil when Fields gets on campus. Some real used-car salesman, huckster, bull **** right there.

• moosmoos Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Someone needs some Tucks medicated pads

• 12ed12ed Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@RogueJimbo said:
    It's hilarious to watch Chaney grasp at straws from 10 years ago, while trying to convince Justin Fields he can develop QB talent, and that he has a new top-secret offense that he's just waiting to unveil when Fields gets on campus. Some real used-car salesman, huckster, bull **** right there.

Whine more please.