Spread the Ball Around?

dtf53dtf53 Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

After watching the interview with CKS after the game when he said " we need to find ways to get number 7 the ball and I'm not talking about Zo" I hope we start to play small ball in baseball terms. Meaning I hope we start putting Swift outside and running tunnel screens similar to the one Sony took to the house on SCar a few years ago. Then that will open up at fake screen deep ball to Godwin or Ridley considering Hardman can't catch a cold. Spreading the ball out wide making the opposing D-Line run will open up the inside run. Then comes play action. I believe we have the weapons on the Offensive side of the ball to have an SEC East champion caliber team if we give DCs fits on who is getting the ball.

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dtf53 said:
    After watching the interview with CKS after the game when he said " we need to find ways to get number 7 the ball and I'm not talking about Zo" I hope we start to play small ball in baseball terms. Meaning I hope we start putting Swift outside and running tunnel screens similar to the one Sony took to the house on SCar a few years ago. Then that will open up at fake screen deep ball to Godwin or Ridley considering Hardman can't catch a cold. Spreading the ball out wide making the opposing D-Line run will open up the inside run. Then comes play action. I believe we have the weapons on the Offensive side of the ball to have an SEC East champion caliber team if we give DCs fits on who is getting the ball.

A harsh judgment of Hardman? He dropped pass. What WR hasn't. I'll give him so additional chances. He's still very new to the position.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Considering that Hardman is making a huge position to change from DB to WR, that is a harsh judgement. Most DBs play at the DB position cause they have little to no hands and their primary job is to keep the WR from catching a pass. I think Hardman played exceptionally well minus that one drop.

• ChaseAtlAzChaseAtlAz Posts: 31 ✭ Freshman

I'm not worried about Hardman's dropped ball until it happens a couple more times during big moments. I feel it was just one of those occasions where he was more open than he imagined he would be and he was thinking too much while the ball was coming. @DawgsofWar is correct...take that drop away and he would receive nothing but praise for his performance.

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What I'm wondering about is the dropped pass thing, is that something receivers typically get better with with experience?

It seems like something's develop in football, other things don't. Like a lot of people about Eason were saying accuracy isn't usually something that develops. And the counter-argument was it could if the inaccuracy was a result of being over-concerned about getting hit because of the o-line problems.

I haven't heard anyone of any kind of known reputation even on this board give an opinion as to whether or not a receiver dropping balls is something that gets better with experience.

I also think it's worth noting this is one game for Mecole with 2 dropped passes. It's not like we've established a well repeated pattern here.

• donmdonm Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it can be developed. WRs spend hours working on catching balls, good hand position. Even pros work on it. I think it can be improved.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ball handling skills can improve with practice and technique with receivers.

There is also the idea of chemistry between receivers and the quarterback.

We need some continuity when it comes to our quarterbacks.

The longer we have one quarterback throwing passes, the more likely the percentage of drops goes down.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Reeldawg said:
    Ball handling skills can improve with practice and technique with receivers.

There is also the idea of chemistry between receivers and the quarterback.

We need some continuity when it comes to our quarterbacks.

The longer we have one quarterback throwing passes, the more likely the percentage of drops goes down.

This goes both ways: The longer we have the same QB AND the regularity key WR’s are on the field developing that chemistry. This is one of the things I was worried about for this season. We have more depth at WR, but we really need to have the “most targeted” guys on the field in passing situations to develop that QB/WR chemistry. We have adequate depth at WR, but we need the top 2 or 3 to be targeted on a very regular basis.