Comparing Jake Fromm & Jarrett Stidham through 2 games...

SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,142 mod
edited September 12 in Football

The SEC Media anointed Stidham pre-season as Auburn's next Heisman trophy winner and the savior that would lead the Tigers over Alabama to win the SEC West. Here's a comparison of Jake Fromm & Jarrett Stidham through 2 games.

Stidham:
27/48 264 yards
56.3% Completion
Avg 5.5 YPA
2 TDs, 1 INT
Sacked 14 times (AUB QB's sacked a total of 19 times all of last season)

Fromm:
26/44 284 yards
59.1% Completion
Avg 6.46 YPA
2 TDs, 1 INT
Sacked 2 times

Yes, I realize Stidham faced off against Clemson's all-world defense...but he also floundered mightily vs. GA Southern.
Keep in mind too he and the Auburn coaches have known since he came in that he would be their starter, a luxury UGA coaches did not have with Fromm.

Comments

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭ Junior

I loved seeing Auburn struggle, he has looked average at best of times. He may improve as the season goes along but not if he keeps getting hit so much.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Without coming off as a complete fanatic... this shows me a path to potentially going undefeated this year.

• donmdonm Posts: 472 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thehutch40 said:
    I loved seeing Auburn struggle, he has looked average at best of times. He may improve as the season goes along but not if he keeps getting hit so much.

I think it was BA on several of his podcasts who predicted he'd get injured and miss significant time. If I'm wrong BA, I apologize in advance.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

It seems that every year, Auburn has that "one" player that's going to get them in the SEC and National race. Too bad it takes a team to do it.......and they don't have that "team" to do it......or coach.

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 236 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ghostofuga1 said:
    It seems that every year, Auburn has that "one" player that's going to get them in the SEC and National race. Too bad it takes a team to do it.......and they don't have that "team" to do it......or coach.

think they are still living in the days of Cam Newton... well if they could do that once they can do it again...could be wrong but I think BA may eat some crow on this one :D

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

think they are still living in the days of Cam Newton... well if they could do that once they can do it again...could be wrong but I think BA may eat some crow on this one :D

Well, they did have our outcast Nick Marshall, but since then, it's been pretty thin on their pickings to take them to that "warranted" level....

@ghostofuga1 said:

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Well, they did have our outcast Nick Marshall, but since then, it's been pretty thin on their pickings to take them to that "warranted" level....

true true! I guess I've heard that same theory about auburn and their heisman candiate never played in the SEC starting QB...

• moosmoos Posts: 332 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

true true! I guess I've heard that same theory about auburn and their heisman candiate never played in the SEC starting QB...

Technically, he still hasn't...

@moos said:

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@cf_ugaman said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Technically, he still hasn't...

true. he hasn't played an SEC team but he has played in the SEC since Auburn is an SEC team. I can ignore the clemson game bc its clemson, but if he truely struggled against GS then I have a feeling we could be seeing another coming of the same story line about the next auburn "savior"

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, as has been repeated a thousand times, he was sacked 11 times against Clemson. So if he's been sacked 14 times this year, that means he was sacked 3 times against GA Southern. How does that work?

Sounds like Auburn may have more o-lines troubles than even we do.

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 12

@donm said:

@thehutch40 said:

I think it was BA on several of his podcasts who predicted he'd get injured and miss significant time. If I'm wrong BA, I apologize in advance.

I vaguely remember BA saying something about that too.

But what he's been saying more often if that AU will win the SEC West. He was on the podcast saying he knows that prediction doesn't look good right now, he's sticking with it even though he doesn't feel nearly as strongly about it.

BA should start a thing where he makes a "**** hat prediction". Where if he misses, he has to wear a **** hat for the first ten minutes of a Facebook Live or something like that. It's a stunt that would fit his broadcast style I think.

EDIT: board censored a word that starts with s and rhymes with lupid.

• moosmoos Posts: 332 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:
    EDIT: board censored a word that starts with s and rhymes with lupid.

Lupid don't mean nothing...

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 12

Keep in mind, most every year that “big” things are expected from Auburn, they normally never happen. It’s the seasons that most don’t think Auburn will truly contend that they “sneak” up on opponents. Likely the same scenario this year. If they have another year like they had with their last NC appearance, they will HAVE to consider changing from Auburn Tigers to Auburn Fighting Irish. They had SOOOO many balls bounce “their” way that year, it’s almost unbelievable. Or maybe a better term than “bounces their way” is “tips and returns” in their favor.

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems like Auburn has done it again...

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,142 mod

@amjadawgs said:
    Keep in mind, most every year that “big” things are expected from Auburn, they normally never happen. It’s the seasons that most don’t think Auburn will truly contend that they “sneak” up on opponents. Likely the same scenario this year. If they have another year like they had with their last NC appearance, they will HAVE to consider changing from Auburn Tigers to Auburn Fighting Irish. They had SOOOO many balls bounce “their” way that year, it’s almost unbelievable. Or maybe a better term than “bounces their way” is “tips and returns” in their favor.

You got that right @amjadawgs!

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yea it hasn't been pretty. Seems like Malzahns offenses typically start out slow but pick up steam. For a league that was supposed to have improved QB play this year. It hasn't exactly been apparent. I do believe over time it will show better but when the best games have come out of a QB from USCe, you know it's a down year.

• paulpaulpaulpaul Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Baylor and Auburn play two different offences so I think JS is not going to be the same QB at Auburn . Also the D# is different in ACC SEC than the big12 . I will go out on a limb here and say that JS will underwhelm this year and he will be sacked so many times that he will look like Colt Brennan 2007 sugar bowl......crying on side line.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 14

@paulpaul said:
    Baylor and Auburn play two different offences so I think JS is not going to be the same QB at Auburn . Also the D# is different in ACC SEC than the big12 . I will go out on a limb here and say that JS will underwhelm this year and he will be sacked so many times that he will look like Colt Brennan 2007 sugar bowl......crying on side line.

They're actually not all that different. Malzahn relies on more backfield motions and a little more on the running game (SEC + QBs he's worked with) compared to Baylor airing it out more (B12), but a lot of the core plays/alignments/concepts are the same. Both are derivations of the Air Raid principles and rely on a screen and deep ball passing game.