Mailbag questions?

sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 545 mod

Hello everyone. The satchel is open: Anyone wishing to ask a question or just seek a response to your opinion, please either:

• Post it in this thread.
  • Tweet me at @SethWEmerson
  • Email me at seth.emerson@coxinc.com

Fire away!

Comments

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

One thing that does have me concerned: I didn’t realize our inefficiency from the tailback position in the I formation until stats revealed by Dawgnation. I acknowledge we have gone through OC’s year by year, but that has been our “bread and butter” for so long and has kept us known as Tailback U. We have to find a way to make the formation work.

Is it as important as I think that we fix this? If so, how do we accomplish that?

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 236 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seth,

Long time reader of the mailbag, and poster on the board, great work. Who do you think will have more rushing yards this week, Chubb, Michel, or Swift? A lot of murmors going around suggesting that we may be saving the legs of our big guys for our "big" games. I'm not sure if I buy into this theory. Thanks! (maybe you can play Kansas Carry On Wayward Son if you need some inspiration, or perhaps Cake The Distance...)

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophmore

It seems to me that Georgia has trouble blocking for the run without Solomon Kindley in the game. Is there any thought of moving Andrew Thomas to left guard and replacing him with Ben Cleveland. The reason I ask I was watching the replay of Christian Payne's two yard run attempt and the Notre Dame player just threw Kendall Baker out of the way before grabbing Payne for no gain, this also happened to Chubb one time.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Who is looking like they will redshirt?

What is the atmosphere around the team right now? How does it seem to be compared to last year?

What type actions will the staff take to correct issues from nd game?

How would the dramatic win vary from the potential blowout with/without faulty plays?
    -too many extended drives off penalties
    -Mecole drop (7 points)
    -phantom hold on ko return by Holyfield (7 points)
    -missed field goal (albeit longer, but well within rods distance)

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Will starting with so many night games affect us in our first day game whether that is the Florida game at 3:30 or before?

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 49 ✭✭ Sophmore

@bmauldin said:
    Will starting with so many night games affect us in our first day game whether that is the Florida game at 3:30 or before?

And when was the last time UGA started four straight night games?

• Dawg14Dawg14 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

It seems that we are very careful in calling pass plays that are between 10-25 yards. I feel the ND game would have opened up more if we had mixed in a few longer throws. Do you anticipate Fromm using this game to work on deeper passes? My thinking is, f we want to open up our run game, then we need to make defenses cover more of the field or at least think about the possibility of us burning them downfield with the passing game.

• ChaseAtlAzChaseAtlAz Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

How come we are not using our big TEs more over the middle of the field (or just using them much at all)? Is it because JC and KS are not confident in Fromm's ability to make the throw in coverage? TE yards currently make up about 17% of our receiving stats, but that is actually skewed with the 16 and 12 yard catches from Nauta and Blazevich. I feel we should be getting at least 50ypg from that position.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sethemerson I realize that the Sage Hardin Medical RS frees up a scholarship within the 85 but my question is "Is there any special dispensation granted by the NCAA to replace a MRS player without it impacting the 25 annual rule?" That is with UGA limited to 24 signees this year (due to Blue Shirt) does the Hardin situation offer any relief to make it 25?

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seth,
    Long time reader, first time typer. Looking back on the ND game, I felt we, and more specifically Mecole Hardeman, where very close to opening up the score by at least a couple possessions. I can forgive the dropped TD pass late in the game but was very surprised and abut deflated at how many tackles he didn't break in key moments. There was a jet sweep (or end around, can't remember) where he only had #23 a lot of green but was tackled for a minimal gain. On two different kick returns where making one guy miss would have meant potentially 20+ More yards he also was brought down. Am I wrong feel MH4 should play better the 0-4 in the big play department?

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,142 mod
    edited September 13

@ForestryDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

1944 was the last time UGA started with four straight night games. The last time Georgia opened with 3 straight non-SEC games was 1987.

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophmore
    edited September 13

Seth,
    Where are the tight ends? Seems like for all the talk of tight ends as red zone weapons, the only target I can remember so far this season is the third down pass to Nauta in the ND game near the end. Is this an extension of still not trusting the O line and having to keep them in to block?

• chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

@sethemerson In your practice observations today you said "Tray Blount" was at safety. Did you mean Tray Bishop? I thought Blount was doing well at receiver BUT thought the same about Webb.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

Was the Notre Dame game with the "Invasion" of Dawg fans and the win enough to spark this team into believing that they can win the "Big" games and carry it on throughout the season?

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophmore

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Was the Notre Dame game with the "Invasion" of Dawg fans and the win enough to spark this team into believing that they can win the "Big" games and carry it on throughout the season?

We will know November 4th.

• dawgy1dawgy1 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

I like the Wild Dawg formation. However, I don't think it has much chance of being successful until we throw from it a time or two to put that thought in the mind of defenses.

• dcorbett70dcorbett70 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

What is your observation of the differences in this year's team as compared to last year? Morale? Coaches seem more relaxed or pressured?

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seth,
    As an avid follower of UGA recruiting, I've found that Jaevon Becton is a complete question mark for me. What is the plan for Becton moving forward, and how do you see him eventually fitting into the UGA defense? Additionally, why has UGA proven to value Becton higher than most other top tier programs, and what's the consensus on his ceiling as a prospect?

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 545 mod

@SavageDawg17 said:

@ForestryDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

1944 was the last time UGA started with four straight night games. The last time Georgia opened with 3 straight non-SEC games was 1987.

Hey, don't steal my thunder!

:wink:

@TheSmartWay said:
    Seth,
    As an avid follower of UGA recruiting, I've found that Jaevon Becton is a complete question mark for me. What is the plan for Becton moving forward, and how do you see him eventually fitting into the UGA defense? Additionally, why has UGA proven to value Becton higher than most other top tier programs, and what's the consensus on his ceiling as a prospect?

All those recruiting questions are probably best for Jeff Sentell. He's the expert. I, on the other hand, have never heard of Jaevon Becton. But I can tell you who the fourth string center is. (Chris Barnes.)

@chattanoogadawg said:
    @sethemerson In your practice observations today you said "Tray Blount" was at safety. Did you mean Tray Bishop? I thought Blount was doing well at receiver BUT thought the same about Webb.

That was a typo, I fixed it soon after. Tray Blount is still at receiver, and Tray Bishop is at safety.

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 49 ✭✭ Sophmore

@sethemerson said:

@SavageDawg17 said:

@ForestryDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

Hey, don't steal my thunder!

:wink:

Feel to answer my question in the mailbag article, this Dawg loves to see his name in print! And thanks for the response @SavageDawg17, your answer went above and beyond.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 14

@sethemerson, what is the situation with Holyfield?

He had an amazing return that would have taken the Dawgs to the ND 10yd line if it weren't for a holding penalty.

He had a fast and powerful stride.

After the penalty, we didn't see much of him.

Is there a reason Holyfield isn't getting more touches?