DawgNation Daily 547: Kirby Smart’s defense description will make fans stand & cheer w/ Jeff Sentell

SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,405 mod

Georgia coach Kirby Smart has some interesting thoughts on the Bulldogs defense.

On episode No. 547 (Oct. 3, 2017) of the @DawgNationDaily podcast, UGA fans can hear a discussion about what Georgia coach Kirby Smart said about the UGA defense.

Georgia football podcast: Kirby Smart’s defense description will make fans stand and cheer

Beginning of the show: Georgia coach Kirby Smart was asked Monday if he thought the UGA defense resembled the ones he coached at Alabama. Smart’s response to that offered a comparison that will be much more to the liking of most Bulldogs fans. I’ll share audio of that exchange on the Tuesday show.

10-minute mark: I discuss the quarterback situation involving freshman Jake Fromm and sophomore Jacob Eason.

15-minute mark: DawgNation’s Jeff Sentell joins the show. Some of the topics covered include:

• The latest on the recruitment of 5-star cornerback Tyson Campbell
  • Why Campbell and other defensive backs —including Gilbert Frierson, Tyreke Johnson and Isaac Taylor-Stuart — were tweeting about UGA Saturday
  • The work 4-star wide receiver Kearis Jackson, a UGA commit, has done recently to try to recruit other prospects to Georgia
  • Where 5-star running back Zamir White fits into the 2018 running back depth chart
  • And the chances UGA can flip defensive tackle Robert Cooper from Florida State

35-minute mark: I discuss some other SEC headlines, including Florida wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland’s injury, LSU’s plans to stick with quarterback Danny Etling, a Tennessee offensive lineman leaving the program, and an interesting statement from Alabama coach Nick Saban.

40-minute mark: I’ll update what Smart said Monday regarding the injuries to some UGA players, including the knee injury sustained by Trent Thompson.

End of show: I discuss the edge that UGA’s defense will maintain even as a big favorite vs. Vanderbilt.

Comments

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SavageDawg17 said:
    On episode No. 547 (Oct. 3, 2017) of the @DawgNationDaily podcast, UGA fans can hear a discussion about what Georgia coach Kirby Smart said about the UGA defense.

My favorite UGA (and maybe overall coach) ever! I've done my best to emulate him, all the way down to head butting my players in football and lacrosse to the point of a bleeding forehead, but will never come close to his example.

Erk Russell, IMO, was the epitome of a Coach, motivator, leader of young men, competitor and gentleman; RIP Coach Russell, you'll always be a DGD to Dawgnation, and a personal hero to me!

• donmdonm Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seriously ? Are you not worried about concussions?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

To me or the players? I can promise you, the impact, of my head against the helmet is minimal in comparison to any impact, even incidental, that may occur on the field!

If it's concern about me getting a concussion...that ship set sail a long time ago, and after 15 years of coaching, neither I, nor a player has been injured from a head butt to a helmet!

• donmdonm Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@donm said:

To me or the players? I can promise you, the impact, of my head against the helmet is minimal in comparison to any impact, even incidental, that may occur on the field!

If it's concern about me getting a concussion...that ship set sail a long time ago, and after 15 years of coaching, neither I, nor a player has been injured from a head butt to a helmet!

Well I was actually worried about both. But I'm not that up on what type of headgear is worn in lacrosse. Glad 15 years of that hasn't harmed you too badly.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I had to google this, but pretty cool!