Potential Georgia vs. Alabama SEC Championship

UnsworthUnsworth Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know we still have a lot of football left to play. However, if things keep going well, we’ll likely face Alabama in the SEC Championship.

Witth Coach Smart knowing the inner workings of Alabama’s program better than anyone other than Saban, I think that can be a an advantage in a potential matchup. On the other hand, Saban knows Smart better than any other coach. It would be a good chess match. I just hope I don’t lose another year on the backside of my life like I did stressing during the 2012 matchup.

What’s your thoughts?

Comments

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, like you said, plenty of football still left to play. Georgia can still make the SEC CG game, barring a loss to Auburn. Kentucky (surprise) is second on the SEC East. Then Florida, then USCe. The other teams don't matter at this point.

Now with the matchup between Saban and Smart, it'll be a good one. I don't know where people keep saying Alabama is going to blow out Georgia. Two Top 5 ranked defenses in the country and both teams have similar playing styles. It'll be a close one.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're only really giving up the invalid, drool on yourself, can't remember a face years anyway. Why worry about it?

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 371 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would honestly be a good one!

• UnsworthUnsworth Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

@moos said:
    You're only really giving up the invalid, drool on yourself, can't remember a face years anyway. Why worry about it?

There’s alway someone who has to be “that guy.”

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think think it would go well.

• levanderlevander Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im wondering how much Smart knowing Saban would really help.

There’s going to be some things. But Saban’s got an OC and a DC that weren’t there when Kirby was there.

That said, why isn’t Jeremy Pruitt on the UT potential head coach list? Pruitt’s got a proven track record of success on D, even with less talented players. And we gotta disassemble this Alabama juggernaut somehow. Keeping ripping away the coaches is a better way than most. Someone go tell the guys on the VolNation forum to hire Pruitt.

@KingoftheSouth said:
    I don't think think it would go well.

It may not. I think we’re still about a year or two away from being similar to Alabama. I like being surprised by this year, though.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If our D-Line is still this injured, we don't stand much of a chance. If our front 7 play like they did against Notre Dame, then I think it's a coin flip situation and could go either way.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    Well, like you said, plenty of football still left to play. Georgia can still make the SEC CG game, barring a loss to Auburn. Kentucky (surprise) is second on the SEC East. Then Florida, then USCe. The other teams don't matter at this point.

Now with the matchup between Saban and Smart, it'll be a good one. I don't know where people keep saying Alabama is going to blow out Georgia. Two Top 5 ranked defenses in the country and both teams have similar playing styles. It'll be a close one.

Barring was a bad word to use, by the way. Should have just said even with a loss to Auburn.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Eventually we have to start thinking like the Big Dogs (no pun intended). I live in Alabama and have a lot of bama friends. Heck my son even married a bammer. About two weeks into the season they start talking about the SECCG, who they think they will play, and when they are going to start making arrangements to the game. You can call it it what you want, but you will never hear a bama fan say "well we had better wait, there is a lot of football left to play."

I don't know about you, but I want to be at that level. When you get there is your own choice.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we want to think about it like that...Smart knows everything about Saban as a HC. Saban knows NOTHING about Smart as a HC. Saban knows about Smart as a DC, but Smart is not our DC.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

There’s going to be some things. But Saban’s got an OC and a DC that weren’t there when Kirby was there.

Pruitt was coaching the secondary at Alabama in 2010 and 2011, so Kirby knows him.

• donmdonm Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

Pruitt was coaching the secondary at Alabama in 2010 and 2011, so Kirby knows him.

Giving him enough time to develop the feeling that he didn't want Pruitt anywhere near his team.

I think we will give Alabama a run for their money, providing that we get there. Grantham ain't here to coach a thin defense into giving up 350 yards rushing, like in the 201. We have enough depth now on defense to compete and compete well.

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

Giving him enough time to develop the feeling that he didn't want Pruitt anywhere near his team.

Well, you know that Rocker pretty much said that Pruitt was trying to lead a mutiny against Richt in 2015.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

Judging by the work of Coach Mel Tucker I'd say he made the right decision. Pruitt was good for us, but I'd argue Tucker has been better

• mowetdirtmowetdirt Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Isn't Saban 10-0 against his previous assistants?

@BamaDawg said:
    Eventually we have to start thinking like the Big Dogs (no pun intended). I live in Alabama and have a lot of bama friends. Heck my son even married a bammer. About two weeks into the season they start talking about the SECCG, who they think they will play, and when they are going to start making arrangements to the game. You can call it it what you want, but you will never hear a bama fan say "well we had better wait, there is a lot of football left to play."

I don't know about you, but I want to be at that level. When you get there is your own choice.

Well said. You have folks on here that want to be the forum police.

@mowetdirt said:

He is.

But there is a first time for everything.

@mowetdirt said:

Something like that. He probably purposely left a few tricks up his sleeves for matchups against former assistants.

@Unsworth said:

@mowetdirt said:

Something like that. He probably purposely left a few tricks up his sleeves for matchups against former assistants.

It's OK....I got a feeling that we are about to be in his grill a few times before he decides to hang 'em up.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

When you do it that way, the season seems less fun to me.

That’s why I hate all the talk about the polls and whether or not UGA should be in the top 4.

I’m not watching this next Florida game because I hope it solidifies our position in the playoffs! I’m watching this next Florida game because I want to see us beat Florida!

Too much emphasis on the post season in my mind.

What’s great about college football is the tradition, the rivalries. Pro sports don’t have that nearly as good. You start trying to make college football too much about championships and you start to lose that I think.

I totally understand your position and agree that rivalries are a HUGE part of the draw for college football. But I am a "give me my cake and let me eat it too" type guy. For years we (Dawg fans) went into the season not believing that we were going to win it all. You can try and tell yourself that you did, but every year you didn't think "if we lose", you thought "when are we going to lose." I want to go into every game from here on out thinking "how bad are we going to beat (Insert team here). If you have that attitude, then you have to believe that we are going to go to the championship every year. I don't think it diminishes any game or rivalry.

All I want is that confidence.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We won't stand a chance against Bama if we don't start getting sacks. Our defense is elite, but we can't buy a sack at this point.

edited October 2017

@Polynikes said:
    We won't stand a chance against Bama if we don't start getting sacks. Our defense is elite, but we can't buy a sack at this point.

I think that stat line is a little misleading. We've played a lot of dual threat guys and been focused on containment rather than sacks. We could have done better on sacks, I just don't think it's as abysmal as the stats look.

And I dont think all this metagaming you guys are doing in this thread means much. They still have a slight talent advantage, but I think it's close enough now not to matter that much. Both offenses and defenses read the play each play. It's going to come down to training and execution.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@moos said:

@Polynikes said:

I think that stat line is a little misleading. We've played a lot of dual threat guys and been focused on containment rather than sacks. We could have done better on sacks, I just don't think it's as abysmal as the stats look.

That's true, but we still have to get them down.

@Polynikes said:

@moos said:

@Polynikes said:

That's true, but we still have to get them down.

We stop plenty of runs at the line

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BamaDawg said:

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

That’s why I hate all the talk about the polls and whether or not UGA should be in the top 4.

I’m not watching this next Florida game because I hope it solidifies our position in the playoffs! I’m watching this next Florida game because I want to see us beat Florida!

What’s great about college football is the tradition, the rivalries. Pro sports don’t have that nearly as good. You start trying to make college football too much about championships and you start to lose that I think.

I totally understand your position and agree that rivalries are a HUGE part of the draw for college football. But I am a "give me my cake and let me eat it too" type guy. For years we (Dawg fans) went into the season not believing that we were going to win it all. You can try and tell yourself that you did, but every year you didn't think "if we lose", you thought "when are we going to lose." I want to go into every game from here on out thinking "how bad are we going to beat (Insert team here). If you have that attitude, then you have to believe that we are going to go to the championship every year. I don't think it diminishes any game or rivalry.

All I want is that confidence.

Some fans need to buy into the culture that CKS is bringing to UGA. The culture that we are prepared for ALL the games and have a chance for a championship every year, the way it should be.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

I live amongst the Bammers, too. @BamaDawg 's statement is spot on, their fans expect to be in the playoffs every August. They already expect to be in the playoffs in 2020. But that doesn't diminish the joy they have pummeling Tennessee, LSU, and (most of all) Auburn every year, i.e. the feelings are not necessarily mutually exclusive. If a fan roots for a team that will perpetually be in the national picture, he surely expects that team is not going to be pre-season #15 every year. At some point it becomes impossible to hide top recruiting classes, #1 scoring defenses, and Heisman candidates.
    As of 2017, I expect the Dawgs to own the east, win all games by three TDs, and play for the de facto national championship in Atlanta every year. I can't wait to pulverize the Gators on the last Saturday in October. And I expect a lot more bandwagon fans that have never heard of Wally Butts or Terrence Edwards or Hobnail Boots to shout "GO DAWGS" when they see the old Hartman fund sticker on my car.
    No doubt, things are going to be different; I can live with that!

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

THIS!!! I love CFB because every single game matters. In the NFL its really only your divisional games that mean anything to get to the playoffs.