West End Zone Project

BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The pace has really picked up the last couple of weeks. They just prepped the majority of the field that is not impacted by the construction for the visits this weekend.

Web Cam: https://oxblue.com/pro/slideshow/slideshow/westendzone

Details: http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/2017/6/28/current-renovations.aspx

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many more seats will this bring?

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭ Junior

A new plaza will be built that will end up adjacent to the current bridge, which overlooks the west side of the stadium. There will be a recruiting pavilion of about 500 seats, measuring 10,575 square feet, on top of the student section. No student seat will be added, however, some may be relocated.
    Information from AJC.com

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think seating numbers will change. This is just to get a recruiting lounge & section, and new locker rooms put in.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 371 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah its just adding a new recruiting section which will be very nice.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish we would add a HUGE new video board (maybe four times the size of the one now) replacing the one that's there, maybe have it raised so that you can still see some from the street and then add another level of seats to make it in that end zone to raise capacity to 100,000 of so, it would look awesome, it would also get way louder as the sounds would be more enclosed.

There New recruiting section is gonna be sweet, I, glad it's getting done asap

Watching the vid it looks like we are getting a bigger board, would just like it to be even larger

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DaWGfan01 said:
    Watching the vid it looks like we are getting a bigger board, would just like it to be even larger

The new scoreboard is 33 percent larger. It wii be set back a little further and is actually part of the new entrance off of the bridge.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, video board will be bigger. Not Falcons or Cowboys big, but at least larger.

Need to put a screen on the other side of the video board so people on the bridge can see.

• GaboyJHarrisGaboyJHarris Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

@DaWGfan01 said:

This might be a dumb question so I apologize if it is but where is the video located?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GaboyJHarris said:

@DaWGfan01 said:

This might be a dumb question so I apologize if it is but where is the video located?

First post. If you can see the pic, click on it.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2017

If the new recruiting lounge had been in place already, it might have kept Justin Fields from changing his commitment to Life College. I hope there’s a new broadcast booth for Gary Danielson somewhere outside the by-pass

edited December 2017

To add a little more detail to my earlier posts, the 33% increase in the scoreboard is as follows:

Old: 75' x 46'
    New: 100' x 52'

The scoreboard is set back further closer to the bridge and the square supports that you can see in the webcam is part of the new gate off the bridge. This additional gate should help remove some of the bottleneck at the other gate entrances. I am not sure if there were concessions below that end of the stadium prior to the renovation, but if so I assume the new concession will be bigger which again should reduce the lines in the other existing concessions.

http://thegeorgiabulldogclub.com/uploads/main/wep-3-1180x660.jpg

http://thegeorgiabulldogclub.com/uploads/main/wep-1-1180x660.jpg

@greshamdisco said:
    There’s still room for a Herschel statue. Ridiculous it’s not up yet.

Without a doubt, there should be a Hershel statue, I've only been to about five UGA games and really never explored the outside of the stadium at all, is there even a Trippi or Sinkwich statue anywhere?

Also, is that area between the first fence on the bridge and the second fence closer to the field going to be freely accessable for everybody?,

In addition to that, the area past the second fence (even closer to the field) would be awesome to watch a game from even though there are no seats, they could charge like $5 for standing room only admission, would probably boost capacity to 95,000+, if they counted toward official attendance numbers.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

If there is no room MAKE ROOM!

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsince76 said:
    If there is no room MAKE ROOM!

Like how we did 93k day last year. MAN, that was an AWESOME sight to behold. There’s no doubt in my mind there was well over 100k in and around that stadium. People pouring in from everywhere. Definitely something I’ll never forget, seeing a sea of RED and BLACK!!!

Pouring the concrete for the upper plaza.....

https://oxblue.com/pro/slideshow/slideshow/westendzone

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DaWGfan01 said:

@greshamdisco said:
    There’s still room for a Herschel statue. Ridiculous it’s not up yet.

Without a doubt, there should be a Hershel statue, I've only been to about five UGA games and really never explored the outside of the stadium at all, is there even a Trippi or Sinkwich statue anywhere?

Also, is that area between the first fence on the bridge and the second fence closer to the field going to be freely accessable for everybody?,

In addition to that, the area past the second fence (even closer to the field) would be awesome to watch a game from even though there are no seats, they could charge like $5 for standing room only admission, would probably boost capacity to 95,000+, if they counted toward official attendance numbers.

It would just make it hard for rows 1-3 to see it well since people walking may have kids on their shoulders so they can see too.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 316 ✭✭✭ Junior

Will there be a G day this year or will construction prevent it?

@MIghtydawg said:
    Will there be a G day this year or will construction prevent it?

G-Day will be in the stadium on April 21. The scoreboard will be ready, with the rest of the project completed by the end of July. They will have to re-sod the end zone and the UGA sideline for the game. Not sure if the crane will return or not after G-Day.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Loving the updates @BobcatGrad . Keep em coming!

There needs to be a statue under the new scoreboard of the Goal Line Stalker truckin' Bill Bates, that would be F R E A K I N awesome!!, Then flank it with statues of Sinkwich and Trippi

Like pg said, put a huge video board on the back side of the scoreboard, broadcast the game live on it, block off the road and have a street party during home games right there, that would be INSANE, what a recruiting tool that would be with that new recruiting section right there below it...

• LuvsDawgsLuvsDawgs Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

You know, I REALLY like that idea! It’s just different and thinking outside of the box. Besides people sitting around all their TVs at their tailgate sites, to the best of my knowledge, there’s nothing else like that. Course, you gotta figure a way that the school can make money off of it, so why not charge a small fee for people to get in the area? PURE PROFIT for the School, and it’d be more fun hanging with other fans. Even us season ticket holders might be more inclined to loan our tickets out if we could watch from out there. Outside, hear the band & music, and get caught up in the in-stadium atmosphere!
    I like it!

If this ever happens, remember where you heard it first. I'm claiming it as mine. this could be a grass-roots movement.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 22

@ghostofuga1 said:

That would be like bringing back the Glory Days of the Tracks. Great Idea, but I doubt the stuff shirts at UGA would go for it....too bad!!

In 1978 after I lost my seat in the center of sec 107 (Uncle for some reason gave them up) I became a track person. Turned out to be a whole lot more fun and along with the game, you usually got to see a good Tussle on the Trestle. My seat of choice was the Coleman Oscar cooler which of course doubled as an16 beer concession stand. The only gripe was the long slide down the other side of the tracks to the graveyard where you had to relieve yourself.