Can the Dawgs adjust their game next season?

bestdawgbestdawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Here's the thang that really bothered me in the second half, Nick Saban made some changes that the dawgs could not end up matching. It became pristinely clear when the freshman qb started playing, that his style and game both were exceedingly different than what we had been playing the entire game up to that point. At what point do you go, "okay, this aint the same game we been playin, we gotta make some kind of adjustment here or were gonna get beat"? I mean, how many times did Bama need to execute the same exact plays over and over again before we should have made that mental and playing adjustment? The coaching staff still had em playin a running game against a passing game. I give the Dawgs a A+ for shutting Saban and the boys down throughout the first half. But C'mon now, that second half was a give away. The real question ,now, is will Kirby be smart enough to see when the opposing team changes over to a passing game and adjust accordingly, going into next season, or will he pull the same stubborn running game defense against a passing game?

Comments

• DawggonedDawggoned Posts: 43 ✭ Freshman

Great analysis and question.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 802 ✭✭✭ Junior

I saw Bama run plays they haven’t run all season

• bestdawgbestdawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I reckon your right, but I still think there was an awful lot of repetition.

• hamsandmichhamsandmich Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sometimes it's just the players. In Bama's 2nd drive of the 3rd, UGA had Tua dead to rights on 3rd and 7. 3 guys missed the sack and the drive ended in TD. Coach did well but execution lacked. Some plays were going to be made.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@hamsandmich said:
    Sometimes it's just the players. In Bama's 2nd drive of the 3rd, UGA had Tua dead to rights on 3rd and 7. 3 guys missed the sack and the drive ended in TD. Coach did well but execution lacked. Some plays were going to be made.

I agree wholeheartedly.... we had more than enough opportunities to win, even with the bad officiating.

However, I also agree that a few adjustments should have been made. Once we sacked Tua in overtime, Kirby should have called a timeout, inserted 6 DBs and reminded everyone not to let anyone behind them. It was 2nd and 26.......

• HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Jesupdawg said:
    but to let a dude get behind you when it second and a hundred knowing their kicker wasn’t an option is unreal to me

This right here was the most painful part of the entire deal. You nailed it right there.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jesupdawg said:
    Look it’s been a clear fact that our secondary was bad, that’s why everyone has been harping about recruiting top CBs. Parrish didn’t just all of a sudden get exposed last night, he’s never been an elite shut down corner.. I got to give that freshman QB props the kid made some good throws but to let a dude get behind you when it second and a hundred knowing their kicker wasn’t an option is unreal to me

All season, our front 7 has been so dominant that they’d pressure the quarterback so much, our secondary wouldn’t be tested. Like Ollie said about the OU game, in the second half when we started blitzing. That’s when OU couldn’t move the ball.

Alabama is the first team we’ve played who’s o-line could compete with our d-line. And their o-line didn’t shut our d-line down. Our d-line was getting pressure on the QB here and there all night. But Jalen wasn’t good enough of a passer to take advantage of it when his o-line held and gave him a shot. Nor were the coaches calling as many pass plays when Jalen was in there. You bring in a better passer like Tua behind the Alabama o-line, and all the sudden you can start moving the ball.

No other team just had as good of an o-line to compete with our d-line, save maybe Auburn. I’m forgetting what happened in the first game against them that we lost. So no other o-line has been good enough to protect their quarterback long enough to take advantage of our mediocre secondary.

• bestdawgbestdawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I'd say then, that we've got to employ better execution of plays, and hopefully after analyzing the second half, they will be able to form a more effective strategy for playing against that kind of offense. Now that it's been seen what to do to shut UGA down, I'm betting SEC coaches are going to be doing their best to copy what works against us.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HotDiggetyDawg said:

@Jesupdawg said:
    but to let a dude get behind you when it second and a hundred knowing their kicker wasn’t an option is unreal to me

This right here was the most painful part of the entire deal. You nailed it right there.

Blown coverage by 2 seniors that shouldn't have been so easily fooled.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 338 ✭✭✭ Junior

The game turned on 3 plays:

1. Tua's scramble on his second series when three guys hit him, he broke free and ran left for a first down. This play is what gave the Bama sideline and fans life. They were completely dead until that moment. It is likely that Bama goes back to Hurts if we make that tackle because it would have been two 3 and outs for Tua.
    2. Fromm turning a bad play of being sacked into a worse play of throwing a pick. We had just gained the momentum with the pick.
    3. The final play of the game.
  • Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sanders shouldn’t have even looked to his left where the qb was looking. He was being covered by 3 guys. One guy covering on his right. But what was done is done. Time to move on.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:

1. Tua's scramble on his second series when three guys hit him, he broke free and ran left for a first down. This play is what gave the Bama sideline and fans life. They were completely dead until that moment. It is likely that Bama goes back to Hurts if we make that tackle because it would have been two 3 and outs for Tua.
    2. Fromm turning a bad play of being sacked into a worse play of throwing a pick. We had just gained the momentum with the pick.

Only disagree with number 2. I agree it was an unfortunate pick, but his pass was on point and the pressure did not cause him to hit a helmet. It would have been a play praised by all if made.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bestdawg said:
    Here's the thang that really bothered me in the second half, Nick Saban made some changes that the dawgs could not end up matching. It became pristinely clear when the freshman qb started playing, that his style and game both were exceedingly different than what we had been playing the entire game up to that point. At what point do you go, "okay, this aint the same game we been playin, we gotta make some kind of adjustment here or were gonna get beat"? I mean, how many times did Bama need to execute the same exact plays over and over again before we should have made that mental and playing adjustment? The coaching staff still had em playin a running game against a passing game. I give the Dawgs a A+ for shutting Saban and the boys down throughout the first half. But C'mon now, that second half was a give away. The real question ,now, is will Kirby be smart enough to see when the opposing team changes over to a passing game and adjust accordingly, going into next season, or will he pull the same stubborn running game defense against a passing game?

Personally, I think they tried to make adjustments, and the mistakes/poor tackling was more due to having nothing left in the tank.... also maybe a hold or two when Tua was scrambling.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bestdawg said:

Yes he came in & did some wonderful things for Bama but Saban was desperate & putting another QB in so happen to work for them.Yes I think he is a good QB but most of his throws was deep passes & again putting him in so happen to work. If he played us tomorrow He wouldn't do that good or half as good against us coming off the bench for the 2nd half of a game.Some are saying he is better than Mayfield at this point & that's a **** lie because his play wasn't close to being better that Mayfield QB play at this point.We killed ourselves I must admit but with the help of the refs & some very good luck that I would take any day as a player or coach,he was able to help Bama beat us when it matter the most. We will be 10x better as a team this year & we will be a much better balanced football team,the run game was our biggest strength as a team this year & with a true freshman QB but this year Fromm will be years ahead of his play of the 2017 season.

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@HotDiggetyDawg said:

@Jesupdawg said:

Sanders has a bad habit of looking in the backfield. He's been lucky doing it during his career, but he's been caught peeking before & been burned. Good teaching moment for LeCounte & these other young DB's coming up. Do your job.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 245 ✭✭✭ Junior

@UnderDog68 said:

@HotDiggetyDawg said:

@Jesupdawg said:

Thought Kirby had fixed this problem after the Mizzou game.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@daddydawg72 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@HotDiggetyDawg said:

@Jesupdawg said:

Sanders has a bad habit of looking in the backfield. He's been lucky doing it during his career, but he's been caught peeking before & been burned. Good teaching moment for LeCounte & these other young DB's coming up. Do your job.

We said because you are so right.

• strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

I see where you are coming from but at the same time we had to make sure to take away the run as much as we could. If we had solely went to playing the passing game they would’ve torched us on the ground and it would’ve become a no contest. Our secondary was very experienced but at the end of the day outside Baker they are less talented than what we need. Sanders has been great but athletically he isn’t the same as his backup Lecounte and Parrish doesn’t need to be discussed. I thought Kirby made adjustments but sometimes kids just make plays like Tua did even if it takes some luck. Kirby kept the team fighting all night and like he said we just didn’t execute at the end of the game. I hate how the refs did us and everything but 2nd and 26 and two seniors make a mistake that’s just a lack of execution and we had our chances.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We entered the 2017 year with worries about the secondary. I think they played very well overall. Georgia had a talent deficiency against Alabama's wide receivers that was reveled when Tua came in. This is why so many of us on this board want Georgia to get Tyson Campbell and or Isaac Taylor-Stuart this recruiting cycle.

It is hard to adjust for a Talent deficiency.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MIghtydawg said:

Just a small disagreement on #2... that was actually a good read. Michel was open just like he was when Fromm evaded the rush against OU and dumped it to Michel for a big gain. The problem was a UGA OL blocked a bama player into the line of the pass.

That was a fluke play in my opinion, not a bad decision.

• RTR4everRTRRTR4everRTR Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

It's harder to loose one like that than it is just getting blown out. Exact same thing happened to Bama last year vs Clemson. But Georgia is probably not going anywhere. Built like Bama now.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RTR4everRTR said:
    It's harder to loose one like that than it is just getting blown out. Exact same thing happened to Bama last year vs Clemson. But Georgia is probably not going anywhere. Built like Bama now.

Almost built like Bama....But not quite there, yet. And I quote Darth Vader here:

'The Force is with you, Young Skywalker......But....You are not a Jedi yet.'