Rashad Roundtree

dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He announced tonight that his career at UGA is done due to concussions. This will open up a spot on roster due to a medical DQ and another scholarship. I also will like to thank him for his time at UGA and will be a DGD in my book. Good luck to him in his future endeavors. I’m pulling for him.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate it for the kid...even if he did go to Lakeside High. Wish him the best

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, can’t say I blame him. Glad he realized the issues and took heed to the warnings on it. I’m sure it hurts though not being able to contribute. Best wishes and once a Dawg always a Dawg!

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good decision I think. Best of luck to him. I guess this means we can now sign 23, 24, 25 or 26 this year.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 403 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:
    Good decision I think. Best of luck to him. I guess this means we can now sign 23, 24, 25 or 26 this year.

You can't go over 25 in a year.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

It does not change the number per year, but it does help on the 85 limit.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:

It does not change the number per year, but it does help on the 85 limit.

Yeah, I think there’s 18 scholarship seniors and now 2 have left (Eason & Roundtree) opening 20 scholarships. 4 more will have to transfer, go pro, or medical DQ to get to 24.

• jt200jt200 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

So do this Eason transferring and him medically disqualified give us more scholarships for this signing class or not?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsauce said:

@donm said:

You can go over 25... I'm not for sure how many, if any, can count back to last year.

I don’t believe we can count any to next year we counted one from last yr to this one

@BamaDawg said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@donm said:

You can go over 25... I'm not for sure how many, if any, can count back to last year.

I'm talking about scholarship recruits. NCAA allows up to, but not over 25 in one year.

@Dawgsauce said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@donm said:

I'm talking about scholarship recruits. NCAA allows up to, but not over 25 in one year.

And up to 25 only if that number doesn't exceed 85 scholarship players overall.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jt200 said:
    I don’t believe we can count any to next year we counted one from last yr to this one

Im not sure that actually happened, but if it did then 24 will be our max unless the staff can get someone to greyshirt.

Dawgnation has reported there are actually only 17 scholarship seniors. Without dealing with hypotheticals other than Eason, ‘tree’s spot makes 19 openings.

There will need to be more attrition in order to complete this class. I have heard at least one OL is a potential med dq due to injuries.

Soo pretty much whatever happens we still only going to be able to sign 24 basically is pretty much what im getting right?

@jt200 said:
    Soo pretty much whatever happens we still only going to be able to sign 24 basically is pretty much what im getting right?

or 25 or 26.

I have posted basically the same thing before. but here it is again.

As I understand the 2018 recruiting figures. There is the NCAA hard limit of 85 on scholarship at any one time. This does not include medically unable to play, which with Rashad Roundtree’s MD and Sage Hardin's earlier one Georgia now has two of these. Georgia may be getting one more on punter Marshall Long who broke his knee cap.

I think Georgia has 65 non seniors on scholarship, these include Marshall Long and Jacob Eason. I think Roquan Smith is going to go pro and I am hearing the same about Deandre Baker. IF this is true Georgia is at 61. I am much more afaid that Georgia is going to have more than two going pro so the 85 limit is not going to be a problem.

The SEC has a further limit of 25 in any one year. This is relatively new (I am not sure when). One of the 2018 slots was given to David Marvin (gray shirt) who will not count against next years 85 but does count against this years 25.

Now we are down to the 24 remaining for this year. the following 7 are enrolled Brenton Cox, Warren Ericson, Justin Fields, Cade Mays, Zamir White, Divaad Wilson and Devonte Wyatt this leaves 17. Trey Hill and Kearis Jackson are supposed to enroll early but I have not heard anything yet. We are down to 15. the following eleven are signed but not going to enroll early Adam, Anderson, Jake Camarda, Owen Condon, James Cook, John, FitzPatrick, Nadab Joseph, Azeez Ojulari, Jamaree Salyer, Chris Smith, Luke Ford, Channing Tindall that leaves 4.

Now you get into whats happening now Tramel Walthour and Rachad Wildgoose are committed but unsigned so there are up to four open slots for persons of interest to Georgia this list may include Tommy Bush Jr., Tyson Campbell, Ja'Marr Chase, Michael Thompson, Otis Reese, Rick Sandidge, Isaac Taylor-Stuart, Quay Walker,
    William Barnes, Leon O’Neal Jr.. Pick any 4 including the two commits.

Georgia right now has both the number one class for 2018 and 2019. The only way it makes any sense to try and shift a number from 2018 to 2019 is if it was for someone like 5 star Patrick Surtain Jr. the number oneCB or 5 star OT Nicholas Petit-Frere neither of which is on Georgia's board.

@oldon42 said:

As I understand the 2018 recruiting figures. There is the NCAA hard limit of 85 on scholarship at any one time. This does not include medically unable to play, which with Rashad Roundtree’s MD and Sage Hardin's earlier one Georgia now has two of these. Georgia may be getting one more on punter Marshall Long who broke his knee cap.

I think Georgia has 65 non seniors on scholarship, these include Marshall Long and Jacob Eason. I think Roquan Smith is going to go pro and I am hearing the same about Deandre Baker. IF this is true Georgia is at 61. I am much more afaid that Georgia is going to have more than two going pro so the 85 limit is not going to be a problem.

The SEC has a further limit of 25 in any one year. This is relatively new (I am not sure when). One of the 2018 slots was given to David Marvin (gray shirt) who will not count against next years 85 but does count against this years 25.

Now we are down to the 24 remaining for this year. the following 7 are enrolled Brenton Cox, Warren Ericson, Justin Fields, Cade Mays, Zamir White, Divaad Wilson and Devonte Wyatt this leaves 17. Trey Hill and Kearis Jackson are supposed to enroll early but I have not heard anything yet. We are down to 15. the following eleven are signed but not going to enroll early Adam, Anderson, Jake Camarda, Owen Condon, James Cook, John, FitzPatrick, Nadab Joseph, Azeez Ojulari, Jamaree Salyer, Chris Smith, Luke Ford, Channing Tindall that leaves 4.

Now you get into whats happening now Tramel Walthour and Rachad Wildgoose are committed but unsigned so there are up to four open slots for persons of interest to Georgia this list may include Tommy Bush Jr., Tyson Campbell, Ja'Marr Chase, Michael Thompson, Otis Reese, Rick Sandidge, Isaac Taylor-Stuart, Quay Walker,

Georgia right now has both the number one class for 2018 and 2019. The only way it makes any sense to try and shift a number from 2018 to 2019 is if it was for someone like 5 star Patrick Surtain Jr. the number oneCB or 5 star OT Nicholas Petit-Frere neither of which is on Georgia's board.

No disrespect. olddon. I have posted this before. I don't think anyone can be sure how many we can sign until NSD.
    Too many variables to know for sure. I just hope we can get 2 top flight CB's and a really good DT in whatever mix we come up with.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsauce said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@donm said:

And up to 25 only if that number doesn't exceed 85 scholarship players overall.

You are right about 25 counting to any given year and not exceeding 85. I was just saying that IF we spots from last year's class to count somenofnthe early enrollees against, we could sign more than 25 this year. However I don't think we have any spots from last year.

@donm said:

@oldon42 said:

No disrespect. olddon. I have posted this before. I don't think anyone can be sure how many we can sign until NSD.
    Too many variables to know for sure. I just hope we can get 2 top flight CB's and a really good DT in whatever mix we come up with.

I feel no disrespect. I am going by what Jeff Sentell has said. I easily get lost in the depths of the rule book. If what Jeff has said is true, I can not see stealing from Georgia's currently number one ranked 2019 class to make room for anyone who is not a 5 star. 247 sports has 5 unsigned 5 stars left on the board.
    They are:
    1 Patrick Surtain CB looks like he is going to LSU
    2 Nicholas Petit-Frere OT Georgia already has 2 OT this year,
    3 Devon Williams WR 6-4 200 pounds does not have a Georgia offer.
    4 Isaac Taylor-Stuart CB
    5 Tyson Campbell CB

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

I’m hoping for a Campbell, ITS, Bush and Walthour finish for this class. I hope Campbell and ITS see that we need shutdown corners and can compete right away at a team loaded with young talent. And that Bush sees we’re losing Wims and need another tall guy on the outside to go up and get it. And Walthour for DT depth, as we had no DTs last year and Wyatt will be a sophomore next year and just got on campus.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jt200 said:
    So do this Eason transferring and him medically disqualified give us more scholarships for this signing class or not?

If we had nobody leave other than the seniors we have only 18 available to stay at 85. So it does allow us to go to the 24 limit (25-Marvin) or at least 20 at this point (assuming Eason is gone). We need 4 more transfers/early NFL if we want to sign 24.

We dont get ITS without oneal

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 12

When did/does Sage Hardin stop counting against the 85? That was at the same time Rodrigo was placed on scholly. Did Rodrigo get Hardin's slot? I have also read several things stating that Marvin was not greyshirted as expected, that they found a way to count him toward last season. If we sign 25 then we will know that happened.

As for greyshirting someone else in this class...highly unlikely. It would have to be one of the currently committed but unsigned guys, or someone who hasnt yet committed. I dont think one of the uncommitted studs still floating around is going to take that deal.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    When did/does Sage Hardin stop counting against the 85? That was at the same time Rodrigo was placed on scholly. Did Rodrigo get Hardin's slot? I have also read several things stating that Marvin was not greyshirted as expected, that they found a way to count him toward last season. If we sign 25 then we will know that happened.

As for greyshirting someone else in this class...highly unlikely. It would have to be one of the currently committed but unsigned guys, or someone who hasnt yet committed. I dont think one of the uncommitted studs still floating around is going to take that deal.

Marvin was Blueshirted and counted as a 2018 signee. Crumpton was also going to blueshirt but he eventually took Wyatt's spot late in the process.

• rg34rg34 Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Rountree is only a junior. We don't actually take away his scholarship if he wants to remain in school, do we? Is there another type of scholarship to cover medical DQ situation? Kid should still be able to get his degree if he wants it.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@rg34 he will qualify for a different type scholarship and can stay in school to complete his degree. He will probably be a student assistant as well and still be around the team.

@rg34 said:
    Rountree is only a junior. We don't actually take away his scholarship if he wants to remain in school, do we? Is there another type of scholarship to cover medical DQ situation? Kid should still be able to get his degree if he wants it.

In my opinion Rashad Roundtree’s is going to get a MD that means he is still on scholarship but does not count against the 85 player limit. There is a NCAA paperwork process that he and Georgia need to go through. I can not see the NCAA turning down a player with a history of concussions that caused him to miss the 2017 season.