The latest things to know about 4-star target Tommy Bush

We covered Tommy Bush in the Intel today on his 18th birthday. I'm finally able to post the blog again on the forum. It was very hard to scratch together the time to do that covering CFB playoffs or All-American or All-Star games since Dec. 26.

Here are the quick reads on Bush:

• Which three teams are in it?
  • Fields has been working on him for how long?
  • Why Baylor?
  • Nebraska is now out of it.
  • When will he decide?
  • Why does he still like UGA?
  • Is he still impressed by his official visit?
  • Why Alabama's recruiting ties to Tyson Campbell just took another hit.

Comments

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 1,406 admin

Another item of note: He has yet to set his other two officials.

If he does, look for those to be childhood favorite Florida and Ole Miss. Bush hails from a military family and he lived in Florida for a time growing up.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's between UGA, Baylor and Mich St? W.T.F.? Seriously? Makes me wonder why nobody else is really going after this guy. Something is "off" about this. And he's only the #37 WR in the class. Is it really worth all the effort and consternation? It's not like he's the #2 guy. Am I missing something? I get that he is tall and fast...but Baylor and Mich St? We already have a higher rated WR signed plus the top 2 WRs in 2019 committed. Why is he so important?

• donmdonm Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    It's between UGA, Baylor and Mich St? W.T.F.? Seriously? Makes me wonder why nobody else is really going after this guy. Something is "off" about this. And he's only the #37 WR in the class. Is it really worth all the effort and consternation? It's not like he's the #2 guy. Am I missing something? I get that he is tall and fast...but Baylor and Mich St? We already have a higher rated WR signed plus the top 2 WRs in 2019 committed. Why is he so important?

He's important because he's 6'5" and fast - I suspect the staff believes he can be coached up.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

He's important because he's 6'5" and fast - I suspect the staff believes he can be coached up.

That is probably the case, but I see him as the least important remaining target for this class. When I see he is torn between Baylor, MIch St and UGA...makes me kind of want to cut ties and move on to someone else. Feels like he is just playing games. It shouldn't be a tough choice if those are the options.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

I don't understand why we can't recruit a better guy with size for our last WR slot. I agree that it seems like Bush isn't at the caliber that we've been able to recruit at this cycle, and it's odd that we're unable to find anyone better. The offer list tells the story imo.

@TheSmartWay said:

@pgjackson said:

I don't understand why we can't recruit a better guy with size for our last WR slot. I agree that it seems like Bush isn't at the caliber that we've been able to recruit at this cycle, and it's odd that we're unable to find anyone better. The offer list tells the story imo.

If this was my NCAA dynasty, I'd stop recruiting this guy and put all my recruiting points towards those 5-star CBs. It's almost offensive that he is torn between Baylor and UGA. Go to Baylor and have fun getting destroyed every week.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 581 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well Baylor has put out a lot of receivers recently than UGA and run an offense where he would excel. And its located near him. Coleman was a Heismann candidate before a injury also.

Mich St. I have no clue but they stay in contention and put out at least 1 top player each year. And depth chart looks easy.

UGA is run first second and third lol. But we should place high in his eyes as the better conference and making him noticed.

• hall1138hall1138 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophmore

@pgjackson said:

He is one of the best WRs left for the 2018 cycle. I see him red shirting, but I believe that our staff will develop him the right way. I think that he will eventually be a great tool in our arsenal of weapons. He will be a good option in the red zone.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 355 ✭✭✭ Junior

If there is a reason our staff wants him, they know they can get him productive. There is clearly a method to their madness.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 11

UGA, Michigan St, and Baylor are the 3 teams BUSH is most interested in. There are a number of other programs that would be very happy to land him if they thought he was seriously interested in them. His combination of size and speed is hard to come by. He may be a bit of a project but his potential is well worth the investment in time to Coach up.

• Jsteven82Jsteven82 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

If you read his recruiting profile he played at a run 1st - 2nd - 3rd program in Texas. He accounted for almost 50% of his HS’s receiving yards both years while they were running for over 2,000 yds. Plus, he has an offer from every Power 5 school in the nation. Harbaugh and UM just offered. Javon Wims with blazing speed is exactly what we need! Go Dawgs!!!

@pgjackson said:

@TheSmartWay said:

@pgjackson said:

If this was my NCAA dynasty, I'd stop recruiting this guy and put all my recruiting points towards those 5-star CBs. It's almost offensive that he is torn between Baylor and UGA. Go to Baylor and have fun getting destroyed every week.

Baylor is his home state school. Family matter to him. Why he'd want tp go play for Sparty, I have no idea.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@TheSmartWay said:

@pgjackson said:

Baylor is his home state school. Family matter to him. Why he'd want tp go play for Sparty, I have no idea.

If he's that good why isn't Texas, TAMU and TCU in the mix? That would make sense....not Baylor.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

Its his height & speed but I'm like you because I don't see the reasons & the effort.He just may turn out to be a good player but I think we can get better.

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Well Baylor has put out a lot of receivers recently than UGA and run an offense where he would excel. And its located near him. Coleman was a Heismann candidate before a injury also.

Mich St. I have no clue but they stay in contention and put out at least 1 top player each year. And depth chart looks easy.

UGA is run first second and third lol. But we should place high in his eyes as the better conference and making him noticed.

We was a run 1st team this year because that was our strength but believe me Fromm will be 10x ready this year & we will be so much more balance this year. Our O Line will be a strength for years to come & our WR will be so much better for year's to come,so he will be able to excel better with a better UGA football team.We will put out WR to the NFL more than any team in college football.We have a team that is about to do things that we haven't dream about us doing.

• dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Javon Wims wasn’t a big time recruit and y’all saw how that worked out. Maybe just believe in the staff and let them do the evaluating

Glad you said it because I was fixing too.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

His qb throws a good back shoulder fade. Seems like a lot of his tds are thrown only where he can make a play. Wonder why they run so much with what seems to be a good qb and elite hs wr (hopefully elite college wr)

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@pgjackson said:

Its his height & speed but I'm like you because I don't see the reasons & the effort.He just may turn out to be a good player but I think we can get better.

who would be better that we could get?

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

For the people complaining why UGA is spending so much time recruiting this guy: a lot of folks have mentioned the offense his HS runs, he could've been a late bloomer, not hit up the recruiting camps, lots of reasons why he isn't as "coveted" as you would say. Look at walter grant last year. Had like a dozen offers but ends up on UGA's 2 deep and actually ends up making Manac transfer for playing time. lol y'all looking for stuff to complain about

• chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 103 ✭✭✭ Junior

Has anyone heard how he performed at the UA game/practices? Curious to know if he excelled against elite comp

edited January 12

@Acrum21 said:
    For the people complaining why UGA is spending so much time recruiting this guy: a lot of folks have mentioned the offense his HS runs, he could've been a late bloomer, not hit up the recruiting camps, lots of reasons why he isn't as "coveted" as you would say. Look at walter grant last year. Had like a dozen offers but ends up on UGA's 2 deep and actually ends up making Manac transfer for playing time. lol y'all looking for stuff to complain about

It's not complaining, just a little concern that his top schools are UGA and two nobodies. You would think he would be jumping all over an offer from a top team with a young stud QB and another inbound. If it's about staying close to home, which is completely understandable, seems like UT, TAMU and TCU would be a better choice than Baylor. Reminds me of Shark Tank where a shark makes a great offer but the business owner waffles and tries to negotiate some silly nit-noid detail and the shark finally says "time's up, I'm out." You want it or not...we have other high priority guys to focus on.

However, I trust the coaching staff. These are just my thoughts on the subject. If we don't get him, oh well. His loss.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@pgjackson said:

who would be better that we could get?

In theory Devon Williams but he does not have a Georgia offer.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson That's a good comparison to shark tank I know what you mean. I just think the staff intentionally slow-rolled recruiting a big bodied receiver so they could clean up the rest of the class that maybe they viewed as bigger needs. IMO it's easier to find an athlete with measurable and coach em up at positions like WR & DB (Matt Landers, Ameer Speed) rather than "finished products" that play closer to the ball. In hindsight we do have the top 2 WR's coming in for 2019, not that it means anything now, but he is probably the best available option in the staffs eyes that they feel they have a real shot at bringing in.

@Acrum21 said:
    @pgjackson That's a good comparison to shark tank I know what you mean. I just think the staff intentionally slow-rolled recruiting a big bodied receiver so they could clean up the rest of the class that maybe they viewed as bigger needs. IMO it's easier to find an athlete with measurable and coach em up at positions like WR & DB (Matt Landers, Ameer Speed) rather than "finished products" that play closer to the ball. In hindsight we do have the top 2 WR's coming in for 2019, not that it means anything now, but he is probably the best available option in the staffs eyes that they feel they have a real shot at bringing in.

Great points. I get it. I would never turn up my nose at any 4-star recruit. You can't coach speed and height. I trust the staff to go after guys they believe can play championship football.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@Acrum21 said:

It's not complaining, just a little concern that his top schools are UGA and two nobodies. You would think he would be jumping all over an offer from a top team with a young stud QB and another inbound. If it's about staying close to home, which is completely understandable, seems like UT, TAMU and TCU would be a better choice than Baylor. Reminds me of Shark Tank where a shark makes a great offer but the business owner waffles and tries to negotiate some silly nit-noid detail and the shark finally says "time's up, I'm out." You want it or not...we have other high priority guys to focus on.

However, I trust the coaching staff. These are just my thoughts on the subject. If we don't get him, oh well. His loss.

As others have said above, but you seem to ignore... He has 46 offers (very few recruits get this many offers), almost all being from top programs. Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, FSU, LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, OKST, Oregon, PennSt, TCU, Tennessee, A&M, Southern Cal, and VT. Guess we should walk away with all these scrub programs wanting him. Baylor and Michigan St are solid programs. Just because his top 3 doesn’t matchup with yours, doesn’t make him a less coveted recruit. Watch his tape, and I’m salivating at the chance to get him some red zone targets.

@Acrum21 said:

This is a form where us as fans voice our opinion when talking about UGA football. No one has said anything degrading about the young man they are just saying how they feel which is nothing is wrong with that.Because you don't see this topic the way some of us do doesn't mean we are looking for things to complain about,it's our opinion that's all.Again no one has sad anything bad about the young man at all so it looks like you are looking for something to complain about. Lol like you did it before saying some are complaining