Scholarship Situation

SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

So with Trent and Eason leaving, does that free up scholarships for this cycle or what?

Also, what do we do about the QB situation? With only two on scholarship do we go after another back up QB or do we award one to Bennett or just tough it out til next cycle?

Comments

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not for the 24 man limit.
    Yes for the 85 man limit.

Now makes defensive tackle a must get for this cycle.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SpikedDawg said:
    So with Trent and Eason leaving, does that free up scholarships for this cycle or what?

Also, what do we do about the QB situation? With only two on scholarship do we go after another back up QB or do we award one to Bennett or just tough it out til next cycle?

We have a few threads on this, but the summary is No; it does not affect where we are. We have run the numbers and the 24 ish expected signees is dependent on us losing some of these players to the draft.

We still expect to only sign 3-5 more players. expectation is 4.

• mleemlee Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ Junior

Do transfers count towards the 25 limit?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bmauldin said:

YES for the 24 man limit.
    Yes for the 85 man limit

We still dont have room to sign 24.
    17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder what the status of Marshall Long is in respect to his scholarship with Carmada coming in on scholarship?

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

Yes for the 85 man limit

17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

Trenton Thompson makes 23 other possibilities are Deandre Baker, Natrez Patrick, Lamont Gaillard and a medical for Marshall Long. I don't think the 85 is going to be a problem.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

Yes for the 85 man limit

17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

Trenton Thompson makes 23 other possibilities are Deandre Baker, Natrez Patrick, Lamont Gaillard and a medical for Marshall Long. I don't think the 85 is going to be a problem.

There are 17 scholarship seniors. I stated transers wrong. 1 early departure. 1 transfer. 2 medicals. Who am I missing?

@Bankwalker said:

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

Yes for the 85 man limit

17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

There are 17 scholarship seniors. I stated transers wrong. 1 early departure. 1 transfer. 2 medicals. Who am I missing?

I am not sure but there I count 65 non seniors on scholarship. I got my list from Dawgnation.

• SwiftyManSwiftyMan Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mlee said:

It appears they do.

The limit is on 25 “initial counters,” which you can think of as players in their first year on an athletic scholarship. But a team can bring in more than 25 enrollees in a given year, in a few circumstances. Most commonly, if an athlete graduates high school early and enrolls for the spring semester, and if the school stayed under a cap of 25 in the previous year, it can assign enrollees to the previous class, up to the 25-man total cap.

If a player wants to delay his enrollment until the following spring, he can then be assigned to the following year’s class. But all players must be attributed to either a prior, current, or future class, and no class can exceed 25.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

Yes for the 85 man limit

17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

Trent now makes it 21.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@SwiftyMan said:

@mlee said:

It appears they do.

The limit is on 25 “initial counters,” which you can think of as players in their first year on an athletic scholarship. But a team can bring in more than 25 enrollees in a given year, in a few circumstances. Most commonly, if an athlete graduates high school early and enrolls for the spring semester, and if the school stayed under a cap of 25 in the previous year, it can assign enrollees to the previous class, up to the 25-man total cap.

If a player wants to delay his enrollment until the following spring, he can then be assigned to the following year’s class. But all players must be attributed to either a prior, current, or future class, and no class can exceed 25.

Transfers count as would The Mailman unless he has been at the school over a certain time.

• AkonAkon Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just curious...is there anything that can be done with Camarda to free up a scholarship? I know Blankenship is on scholarship and if I’m not mistaken so is Marshall Long - what options exist so that 3 scholarships are not being used on 2 kicking positions?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta think Marshall Long is headed elsewhere

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Akon said:
    Just curious...is there anything that can be done with Camarda to free up a scholarship? I know Blankenship is on scholarship and if I’m not mistaken so is Marshall Long - what options exist so that 3 scholarships are not being used on 2 kicking positions?

I would guess that they might not renew Long’s scholarship. Not sure how that would look to the public though.

@Denmen185 said:

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

Yes for the 85 man limit

17 srs
    2 medicals
    2 transfers

Roquan would make 22.

Trent now makes it 21.

@Teddy said:

@Akon said:

I would guess that they might not renew Long’s scholarship. Not sure how that would look to the public though.

I think Long will qualify for a MD.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 14

@Teddy said:

@Akon said:

I don't care how it looks, if he wants to play he can go somewhere else or he can get academic scholarships and stay at UGA and compete for the job, which Camarda will win next year.

We need that ship for other studs in the 18 class that might want to come to UGA

And if Roquan and Baker return, those are the best recruits we will have this year easily, I'll take 22 this year if they return in a heart beat

As long the two we add are a top tier DT and a lock down corner

• SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

@DaWGfan01 said:

@Teddy said:

@Akon said:

I don't care how it looks, if he wants to play he can go somewhere else or he can get academic scholarships and stay at UGA and compete for the job, which Camarda will win next year.

We need that ship for other studs in the 18 class that might want to come to UGA

And if Roquan and Baker return, those are the best recruits we will have this year easily, I'll take 22 this year if they return in a heart beat

As long the two we add are a top tier DT and a lock down corner

Would be amazing if we could pull a rabbit outta a hat and steal Sandidge while bringing in one of the two 5* CBs. Would be an exclamation mark on an already great recruiting class.

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

yes, it would. Pretty unlikely I think . Keep thinking positive, though.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Kirby has a grasp on all of this ....... lmao