2»

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:
    I think Hinton will flip. Don't know a thing about him, but Mich is a sinking ship. Harbaugh might be out of a job after next season. Not sure why a local GA kid would want to be part of that mess. Smart is really dialing it in with the local kids and making UGA the "it" school for Georgia prospects.

He’s committed there for academics

I assume that is sarcasm.

Michigan is a really good school and academics are what is most important to his family. Hard to compete with that

First of all, I seriously doubt Michigan is better academically than Georgia. Secondly, it is unlikely that a 5-star athlete will actually stick around and graduate. Chubb and Michele are the exception not the norm. Very few elite guys stay after three years.

Michigan is ranked ahead of UGA in academics. Michigan is one of the top public schools out there regarding academics of couse, not football.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Seven

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:
    I think Hinton will flip. Don't know a thing about him, but Mich is a sinking ship. Harbaugh might be out of a job after next season. Not sure why a local GA kid would want to be part of that mess. Smart is really dialing it in with the local kids and making UGA the "it" school for Georgia prospects.

Michigan is a really good school and academics are what is most important to his family. Hard to compete with that

First of all, I seriously doubt Michigan is better academically than Georgia.

uhhhhhh ... Michigan is way better academically than Georgia.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 13

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

First of all, I seriously doubt Michigan is better academically than Georgia. Secondly, it is unlikely that a 5-star athlete will actually stick around and graduate. Chubb and Michele are the exception not the norm. Very few elite guys stay after three years.

Michigan is the second best Public university in the country, and lots of five stars don't pan out. Same reason Demetris robertson didn't want to come to UGA. Its a great school, but UCLA, Cal, Michigan, etc are on another level

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

I feel like you are a troll seeing as how you misspelled Michel

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 13

U.S. News College Rankings 2018

01 University of California--Berkeley
    02 University of California--Los Angeles
    03 University of Virginia
    04 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
    05 University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
    06 College of William and Mary
    07 Georgia Institute of Technology
    08 University of California--Santa Barbara
    09 University of California--Irvine
    10 University of California--San Diego
    11 University of Florida
    12 University of California--Davis
    13 University of Wisconsin--Madison
    14 Pennsylvania State University--University Park
    15 University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
    16 Ohio State University--Columbus
    17 University of Georgia
    18 Purdue University--West Lafayette
    19 University of Connecticut
    20 University of Texas--Austin

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Six

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Seriously? Come on. Personal attacks over spelling? You'll have to do better than that. According to the 2018 US News and World Report, Michigan is the #4 state university and UGA is #16. A Georgia kid going to Michigan instead of UGA because of academics is kind of laughable. I'll bet he flips.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Seriously? Come on. Personal attacks over spelling? You'll have to do better than that. According to the 2018 US News and World Report, Michigan is the #4 state university and UGA is #16. A Georgia kid going to Michigan instead of UGA because of academics is kind of laughable. I'll bet he flips.

Why is it laughable? Why would a kid from Georgia not want to attend an elite academic institution? Seems sensible to me, if he is truly academically oriented.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Why is it laughable? Why would a kid from Georgia not want to attend an elite academic institution? Seems sensible to me, if he is truly academically oriented.

I agree that academics should be a large part of the equation. However Michigan is not the top rated school and of the top 7 has by far the worst climate. especially with offers from Stanford,
    Duke and North Carolina.

01 University of California--Berkeley
    02 University of California--Los Angeles
    03 University of Virginia
    04 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
    05 University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
    06 College of William and Mary
    07 Georgia Institute of Technology

Six

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

It's laughable because it's not like his options are Michigan and SoMiss. UGA is a top academic school.

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Calling someone out for Not knowing how to spell the name of a top 5 running back in uga history who just finished his 4 year career isn’t a personal attack. If you don’t know how to spell his name then i truly believe you have not watched the past 4 years of uga football. Also how is it laughable for people to put academics first?

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Four

At least four, up to six, imo

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

It's laughable because it's not like his options are Michigan and SoMiss. UGA is a top academic school.

But according to the rankings not as top as UM.

Six

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Calling someone out for Not knowing how to spell the name of a top 5 running back in uga history who just finished his 4 year career isn’t a personal attack. If you don’t know how to spell his name then i truly believe you have not watched the past 4 years of uga football. Also how is it laughable for people to put academics first?

Dude, bring it down a notch. I misspelled a name. Not a big deal. Putting academics first is not the laughable part, its the part that thinking Michigan is that much more academic than UGA. Not buying that. I think this kid bought in to the whole Harbaugh shtick. Probably sounded like a great deal early on. All that goofiness hasn't panned out for Michigan, and in fact I would be surprised if Harbaugh is still coaching Michigan in 2019. We just flipped Michigan's #1 guy in 2018. I am confident we will do it again.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Seven

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Dude, bring it down a notch. I misspelled a name. Not a big deal. Putting academics first is not the laughable part, its the part that thinking Michigan is that much more academic than UGA. Not buying that. I think this kid bought in to the whole Harbaugh shtick. Probably sounded like a great deal early on. All that goofiness hasn't panned out for Michigan, and in fact I would be surprised if Harbaugh is still coaching Michigan in 2019. We just flipped Michigan's #1 guy in 2018. I am confident we will do it again.

I agree with you except that Michigan is pretty far ahead of UGA academically. Not that we aren't a great school but Michigan is just on another level. Just as an example two of my friends are both from the state of Michigan and neither were accepted into UM so they came to UGA. They really are a crazy good school. But I agree that it's probably more about the Harbaugh shtick and there's a good chance we see him reevaluating his options down the road. Also, since when are typos trolling??

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

You'd have to ask Hinton the same question. The statement above was not an assumption he came up with on his own. Hinton has spoken about his reasons. Might change between now and 'pen to paper', but it is what it is. And yes, as a graduate of the Terry College of Business, I will readily and without shame admit that Michigan has a better academic reputation than Georgia. HOPE has increased the quality of student attending UGA, but the long-term reputation is what it is.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Five

I have degrees from UGA and from Michigan. I can tell you that Michigan is ranked higher than UGA academically. The difference in the classroom is vast. I had to work extremely hard at Michigan to get a high B. At UGA similar effort would have earned an A+ and my professor telling me to take it easy. Also, getting into Michigan was a ridiculous endeavor. I had to score in the top 10% of standardized test takers and I needed a minimum 3.75 GPA. Keep in mind though, UGA was not all that easy to get into either. I also believe I received a very high quality education there.

The difference is also vast in the quality of student life. The quality of life in Athens is FAR better than it was in Ann Arbor. The town, the food options, the weather, things to do --> all MUCH better in Athens than it was in Ann Arbor. Although I will say that you will get used to the cold and it isn't such a big deal after a month or so. Also, the students at UGA were much friendlier and much more willing to work together and help each other. At Michigan it was highly competitive no one wanted to help each other because they were worried you would get an advantage over them. At Michigan, I tried to join a friend's study group and they asked me to submit a resume! At UGA they would have just said "sure the more, the merrier."

The Football experience is another thing that is very different. At Michigan there is certainly tailgating and excitement on game day (Athens is crazier for sure though). However, once you get into the stadium you realize the big difference. First off, people don't really care about getting there before kickoff (especially students). When Ohio State played at Michigan I was excited thinking it would be a big game experience. However, the stands didn't fill up until the middle of the 2nd quarter. That was crazy to me. Also it never really got that loud and many student were content to remain seated the whole time while conversing amongst themselves.

To each his own. But as someone who went to both, I can tell you there are pros and cons of both.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Eight

LET'S REVISIT THE 2019 EARLY RECRUITING PREDICTIONS: Did you over or under ESTIMATE the class CKS was going to assemble in 2019. Even with the current commits/targets there is still time for Kirby and Crew to flip some 5 STAR talent towards the Classic City. Let me hear about some self evaluations of yourself....

@icecolddawg said:
    LET'S REVISIT THE 2019 EARLY RECRUITING PREDICTIONS: Did you over or under ESTIMATE the class CKS was going to assemble in 2019. Even with the current commits/targets there is still time for Kirby and Crew to flip some 5 STAR talent towards the Classic City. Let me hear about some self evaluations of yourself....

I'm doing fine. I think our recruiting is fine. Life is good.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 29
    Eight

I'm still believing that we will get THREE more 5 Star Commits in this class for a total of EIGHT 5 Star Commits. This was my prediction on January 31, 2018 and I'm sticking with it!

Three Remaining Additions:
    Dean - The Expected
    Wright or Webb - The Pit Boss Factor
    Booth or Hinton - The Kirby Special (Flip City)

• 12ed12ed Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    More than Eight

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:
    I'm also of the position that we have 6 spots left for the 2018 class.

Lol. I can't tell if you're joking are not :D

@SWARLES_BARKLEY laid out a flawless argument as to why we have 6 spots left. I agree with him. I'd restate the argument, but I'm busy looking at funny cat pictures

Well, if for sure we have 6, might we possibly have 7.

That argument just isn't very compelling. It lacks confidence.
    "I'm of the position that if we have six then we have 7. Fight me" <--- what a compelling argument sounds like

I guess I'd rather rappel than compel.

Very interesting. A rappelling argument would give you the high ground.... Like say, "It's over Anakin, I've got the high ground." It's like victory by default. No one would ever be able to challenge a rappelling argument.

This is the most autistic post I've ever read.

2»