Kirby deserves a raise!!!!

dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally I'm appalled that Pruitt is making more than Kirby and absolutely shocked that Mullen is pulling in almost double. I get that this is still his original rate but good lawd Mcgarity, get this man a suitcase packed with mortgage payments STAT!!!!

Is it just me??

Comments

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 370 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he needs a raise and that is one of several reasons I'm okay with the ticket costs going up.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgwood82 said:
    Personally I'm appalled that Pruitt is making more than Kirby and absolutely shocked that Mullen is pulling in almost double. I get that this is still his original rate but good lawd Mcgarity, get this man a suitcase packed with mortgage payments STAT!!!!

Is it just me??

nope!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sure they're already working on it now. Kirby probably wanted to lock in the 18 class before getting sidetracked with negotiations for both he and his staff.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophmore

How long is this current contract?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:
    I think he needs a raise and that is one of several reasons I'm okay with the ticket costs going up.

Are you a season ticket holder? UGA has plenty of money and makes plenty off of football. Saying that football ticket prices are being raised to pay coaches is a bunch of crap. It was a money grab to capitalize on this season's success.

Nothing wrong with that. State universities are in the business of making money. They exist to make money for the state.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am sure the dotted line will be signed soon for all the coaches

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

Are you a season ticket holder? UGA has plenty of money and makes plenty off of football. Saying that football ticket prices are being raised to pay coaches is a bunch of crap. It was a money grab to capitalize on this season's success.

The money is also needed for continued facility improvements, along with hundreds of other things. What elite football team is competing for championships that isn't spending tons of money on improving their entire football organization? It's $165 more a ticket. I don't consider that an astronomical increase, over the course of 7 games. If current season ticket holders don't want the tickets, there's plenty waiting in line for them. Supply and demand, and the demand is only going to increase if the product on the field continues to succeed. Pretty simple, even if it is a money grab.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

The money is also needed for continued facility improvements, along with hundreds of other things. What elite football team is competing for championships that isn't spending tons of money on improving their entire football organization? It's $165 more a ticket. I don't consider that an astronomical increase, over the course of 7 games. If current season ticket holders don't want the tickets, there's plenty waiting in line for them. Supply and demand, and the demand is only going to increase if the product on the field continues to succeed. Pretty simple, even if it is a money grab.

Yeah if we're gonna be competing for championships, we can't have subpar amenities. Definitely in need of upgrades. Remember, teenage recruits like attention and new, shiny, flashy things. Don't wanna it to turn into Dabo world though, just Dawgnation domination!

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look he got his coaches raises before he got his own raise. Give them some time, he will get his
    Money

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

Dude, are you insane? I'm not a season ticket holder and I don't care what your opinion is on the subject of whether or not UGA makes "plenty." Define plenty. Plenty according to whom? If UGA wants to win a national championship it is going to have to recruit championship players, and championship players go to places that are the most modern, high tech, and visually pleasing facilities available. That costs money.

Why do I care about season ticket holders?

@Teddy said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

Exactly. I couldn't care less if a season ticket holder is upset bc he has to pay a little bit more.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Polynikes said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

Dude, are you insane? I'm not a season ticket holder and I don't care what your opinion is on the subject of whether or not UGA makes "plenty." Define plenty. Plenty according to whom? If UGA wants to win a national championship it is going to have to recruit championship players, and championship players go to places that are the most modern, high tech, and visually pleasing facilities available. That costs money.

Why do I care about season ticket holders?

UV this a million times if I could.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I always love how people who are not donating anything to the Athletic association talk about all the money that is needed in order to support athletics. If you truly believe what you are saying, pull out the checkbook and write a check. Until then, you are a hypocrite just deciding how other people's money ought to be spent. At the end of the last fiscal year, UGA had $67.1 million sitting in operating reserves and another $43.7 million sitting in the UGA Foundation. So my definition of plenty of money is over $110 million sitting in the bank.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hmmm. A tab bit higher than my bank account.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

@MIghtydawg said:

@Polynikes said:

Yep

@MIghtydawg said:
    I always love how people who are not donating anything to the Athletic association talk about all the money that is needed in order to support athletics. If you truly believe what you are saying, pull out the checkbook and write a check. Until then, you are a hypocrite just deciding how other people's money ought to be spent. At the end of the last fiscal year, UGA had $67.1 million sitting in operating reserves and another $43.7 million sitting in the UGA Foundation. So my definition of plenty of money is over $110 million sitting in the bank.

It's a free market, do what you want with your money, which includes giving up your season tickets. Also, they've explained that they like to keep the reserve money to ensure they take care of outstanding debt, in case something like ESPN money, etc. dries up. Many schools are spending just about all the money they bring in, which if something crazy happens and money stops coming in (or drops significantly over a short period of time), they'd be left out in the cold. However, I do think they should dip a little more into their reserves to help out, but at the same time don't mind them being fiscally responsible. I get both sides on this argument, but just don't get all the hoopla of the ticket price increase. I guess they should've steadily increased them years back, instead of a few small bumps and one good size jump as of recent... And again, this all really goes back to basic supply and demand. Limited supply and a lot of demand = higher prices. Not that tough to figure out.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

So in total, UGA has more than $77 million available, that is not specifically allocated for other projects or expenditures. But the athletic department wants to save those reserves, especially the $32 million, in case of emergencies.
    https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/smarts-contract-and-salary-details-released
    I read last week, sorry don't remember where, that Georgia's reserve is at 85.000.000. I think if a raise for Kirby is warranted money is not the issue.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MIghtydawg said:

Amen brother, amen!

@MIghtydawg said:

YOU decide how your money is spent. By donating, you are giving UGA your money to do with what they please. If you are uncomfortable with what UGA is doing, don't give them your money. You can stay home and watch the game on TV.

With regard to the numbers you cited - It could be $749.5 million and my point stands - UGA has all the right in the world to increase the cost of the tickets, if you don't like it pound sand bro. Someone else will get your tickets.

No one feels sorry for the season ticket holders and UGA is not beholden to you.

I guess, then, if you don’t donate, you’re expressing that you don’t support UGA. But by being a donor, and a long term one in my case, one has the right to complain about the program, whatever it may be. I, personally think the coaches deserve a raise. But there’s plenty of money available to do so without sticking it to the “stockholders” who have been supporting the program, even during the down times, which most of you probably know nothing about. We season ticket holders did not appreciate how this price increase was thrown onto us at the last minute before donations were due. You want to have a “right” to an opinion on how UGA gives raises to coaches or jacks up ticket prices, then donate or shut up. Your opinion means nothing.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 10

@PlayHurt said:
    I guess, then, if you don’t donate, you’re expressing that you don’t support UGA. But by being a donor, and a long term one in my case, one has the right to complain about the program, whatever it may be. I, personally think the coaches deserve a raise. But there’s plenty of money available to do so without sticking it to the “stockholders” who have been supporting the program, even during the down times, which most of you probably know nothing about. We season ticket holders did not appreciate how this price increase was thrown onto us at the last minute before donations were due. You want to have a “right” to an opinion on how UGA gives raises to coaches or jacks up ticket prices, then donate or shut up. Your opinion means nothing.

Exactly. This sidewalk fans, who just talk without putting any money in to it, have no clue how the ticket system works. NOT only did ticket prices for power 5 games increase by 50% with very little notice but there is also a required donation for each seat. It now costs more than $125 a game get in price. These people are also the first ones to whine that uga fans should only charge "face value" to other uga fans.

So if you're not a season ticket holder or haven't donated to the fund you're a "sidewalk fan."

If you have a problem with this decision, quit donating, stay home, and watch the game on TV.

If this is truly as big a deal as you're making it out to be, the market will declare it a mistake. Spare me the appeal to emotion regarding the downtimes which no one but you know anything about...

@Polynikes said:
    So if you're not a season ticket holder or haven't donated to the fund you're a "sidewalk fan."

Bingo! You did get one thing right!

• amfireamfire Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman
    edited February 11

@law_dawg35 said:
    How long is this current contract?

CKS's original contract was for 6 years

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 12

Um, pay the man!, It is crazy that a HC in CFB can make millions of dollars a year, but if it is the going market rate, then do it, UGA can certainly afford it!

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 12

Snobs ITT using the sidewalk fan slur. You wouldn't say it to anybody's face but you'll certainly type it safely behind a keyboard

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby should be in the top 25% of SEC coaches salaries. And all the assistants should get a solid bump also if we want to hang on to them...considering they are recruiting mavens I say WE DO want to keep them. I think it is all a matter of respect.

Read up @MIghtydawg @PlayHurt ... Seth just summed up what I was telling y'all. Basic economics/business, supply and demand. Seems like a lot of sidewalk fans are ready to take your tickets when you make them available. Cheers,

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-special-report-finances-uga-athletics