Mecole

AtlDawgAtlDawg Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophmore

Think he could become one of the best playmakers in the country this year. Full year of experience on offense and a experienced qb to give him the ball as well as the jet sweeps. Also think we might use him in the wild dog more. Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he will always be on peoples mind during the game because of his speed. In my opionion he is one of the players that throw off the offense by just being on the field.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have to love his speed, if we can figure out how to get him the ball more, he should be a weapon. Despite the success we had with it last year, I'm not a fan of the Wild Dog offense. Mecole and Swift are both good options for the Wild Dog, but I would rather see us have a package for Fields to come in and run.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Am I the only one who hopes Fields can be redshirted? I'm concerned the more Fields gets in the game the more likely the coaching staff starts to open themselves up to a QB controversy. Fields is not really a running QB. He just happens to have wheels like a gazelle so when the play breaks down he will be able to escape the rush and make opposing teams cry when he scrambles like Tua did against us in the CG.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

CKS maintains the best and most prepared players will play. It’ll be up to the leadership on the team to ensure that any QB controversy doesn’t become a distraction...in short duplicate 2017 with the focus.

Fields won’t RS, if he plays extremely well on Gday, the controversy discussions will begin.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    CKS maintains the best and most prepared players will play. It’ll be up to the leadership on the team to ensure that any QB controversy doesn’t become a distraction...in short duplicate 2017 with the focus.

Fields won’t RS, if he plays extremely well on Gday, the controversy discussions will begin.

QB "controversy" can also mean competition - that's not bad.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophmore

@AtlDawg said:
    Think he could become one of the best playmakers in the country this year. Full year of experience on offense and a experienced qb to give him the ball as well as the jet sweeps. Also think we might use him in the wild dog more. Thoughts?

I think this will be a huge year for Mecole. He made huge strides during last season as a Receiver and I think he will be one of the best and most explosive receivers in the country next season. I also expect he will be even better as a return man and break a couple returns this year all the way.

No concern about Fields getting playing time if he earns it. I would look for a wild dawg package and from time to time a third down or end zone package where having an elite runner is a big advantage. Hopefully, Fromm will stay healthy all year and if he does I expect he will be the starting QB and clear leader of the offense, but there were spots when the wild dawg came into play last year and it is hard to imagine someone better suited to run it when called for than Fields. It is possible that down the road Fields' combination of elite running ability, elite passing ability, and smarts may lead to playing time ahead of Fromm, but I do not see it next season as long as Fromm stays healthy.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Am I the only one who hopes Fields can be redshirted? I'm concerned the more Fields gets in the game the more likely the coaching staff starts to open themselves up to a QB controversy. Fields is not really a running QB. He just happens to have wheels like a gazelle so when the play breaks down he will be able to escape the rush and make opposing teams cry when he scrambles like Tua did against us in the CG.

Fields will not RS period. He will likely play in every game to some degree. It's important that he gets experience in case he needs to start at any point in the season. 2005 we lost to the Gators due to Shockley missing that game with a minor injury.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MH is going to be excellent as a receiver and kick returner. He will doubtless have some moments in the wild dog but with Fields on roster I think he will be the primary point man in those formations at some point.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I should have said that I would rather see Fields running a shotgun formation instead of a running back running the Wild Dog. Kinda figured readers would realize the difference. Point was, I would rather see Fields running the formation in order to give us a passing option, instead of being a purely running formation. Teams have used the wildcat, or wild dog in our case, formation enough that it doesn't catch defenses off-balance anymore.

edited February 11

@coastaldawg said:
    I should have said that I would rather see Fields running a shotgun formation instead of a running back running the Wild Dog. Kinda figured readers would realize the difference. Point was, I would rather see Fields running the formation in order to give us a passing option, instead of being a purely running formation. Teams have used the wildcat, or wild dog in our case, formation enough that it doesn't catch defenses off-balance anymore.

Your point was clear. A different poster said run Fields in the Walk Dawg, and now another has also chimed in to the same regard.

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker said:
    Why do we have so many fans who insist on bringing up Fields running the Wild Dawg? I've seen this mentioned at least 30 times. The Wild Dawg is a formation where the QB lines up away from the center and the ball is direct snapped to either a WR or a RB. It's NOT the Wild Dawg when the ball is snapped to the QB. That's a different formation you may or may not have heard of in the past. It's called the...wait for it...wait for it...(gasp)...SHOTGUN FORMATION. This is on the most basic level of football knowledge.

Thank u, I was about to make the same point

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭ Junior

@AtlDawg said:

I am a big fan of Mecole. Georgia needs to stop bringing in a player on offense just for a certain play. The wildcat formation at all needs to die. Hence the 3 and out Georgia ran it on 1st and 3rd down in the Natty. Mecole needs to have a major role in the offense this year. Georgia needs to run more screens. Going from Bobo's screen offense 75% of the plays to zero is crazy. Have to mix in some screens. Especially for a dynamic player such as Mecole.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mecole needs to be on the field as much as possible, a true scoring threat. Should have a great season this year.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not a fan of the Wild Dawg myself, but would love to see the ball in Mecole’s hands six to eight times a game. Funny though, every time we would line up in the Wild Dawg, I would scream “NO!”, and then Sony or Chubb would run it in for a TD! And then I’d say, “Thank God!”

@PlayHurt said:
    Not a fan of the Wild Dawg myself, but would love to see the ball in Mecole’s hands six to eight times a game. Funny though, every time we would line up in the Wild Dawg, I would scream “NO!”, and then Sony or Chubb would run it in for a TD! And then I’d say, “Thank God!”

I was the same way as you, especially early in the season. It was NOT a productive play for us in South Bend, but became very effective the last month of the season.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Why do we have so many fans who insist on bringing up Fields running the Wild Dawg?

Because we're illiterate. When fields runs the wild dawg we will bask in our illiteracy and call it the dam wild dawg, and there's not a thing you can do to stop us

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't care what they call or who takes the snap as long as it results in a positive play. I do recall that it was a "Wild Dawg" that won the Rose Bowl though.

Kirby and Chaney are smart enough to get the ball in the hands of the player that helps us most on the field. Mecole will play a big part of that this season.

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Why do we have so many fans who insist on bringing up Fields running the Wild Dawg?

Because we're illiterate. When fields runs the wild dawg we will bask in our illiteracy and call it the dam wild dawg, and there's not a thing you can do to stop us

Do it again. I will smite you. You do not want me smiting you.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Justin Fields in the "Wild Dawg"

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 11

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

I’m not sure of your point. Either a) you are showing how far out of the play the QB is when running the wild dawg
    OR
    b) you are illustrating how JF can be the greatest parameter WR in UGA history.
    I’m fine with either interpretation.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ColaDawg86 said:

@AtlDawg said:

I am a big fan of Mecole. Georgia needs to stop bringing in a player on offense just for a certain play. The wildcat formation at all needs to die. Hence the 3 and out Georgia ran it on 1st and 3rd down in the Natty. Mecole needs to have a major role in the offense this year. Georgia needs to run more screens. Going from Bobo's screen offense 75% of the plays to zero is crazy. Have to mix in some screens. Especially for a dynamic player such as Mecole.

Used to drive me crazy when CMR would bring in Brandon Smith for the end around. Kid had jets, but boy was he timid and had butterfingers. It was the only play he ran on O

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

NVM then. I don't know what smiting is but it sounds unpleasant, hanus and painful. I'll try to remember this warning in Septimber if my small mind will let me. Please don't hurt me.

When Fields takes off for a 60+ yards rushing TD untouched out of the wild dawg formation I'm calling it the flying dutchman.

Hanus... .can I get websters dictionay definition, pls?

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

Ummmm......

• donmdonm Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

NVM then. I don't know what smiting is but it sounds unpleasant, hanus and painful. I'll try to remember this warning in Septimber if my small mind will let me. Please don't hurt me.

When Fields takes off for a 60+ yards rushing TD untouched out of the wild dawg formation I'm calling it the flying dutchman.

Hanus - either a body part or maybe heinous?

I’m thinking heinous, like the crime

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

I'll look it up after I finish my google 101 course at grand canyon university

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

I'll look it up after I finish my google 101 course at grand canyon university

That’s dope, we’ll be classmates!

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 85 ✭✭ Sophmore

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bankwalker said:

What's a "dictionay"?