Defining 2018 Success...

SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 417 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited February 11 in Football

What’s the expectation in 2018?

Defining 2018 Success... 53 votes

15-0 Undefeated Season
3%
AndersonDawgBojanglesInsider 2 votes
10-3 SEC East champs with wins over UF, UT, and AU?
0%
13-1 SEC East champ, NY6 bowl game
47%
DawgsauceJayDogdawgnmsBrentCZCashvilleDawgNoogaDawggeorgiaboygodawgsrocco4UGAchattdawgnetorijohnsonisgoatAgDawgLazendaddymqg96MIghtydawgjarred_buckpgjacksonBigcalidawgBengalDawgDawginSC 25 votes
SEC champ, College Football Playoff bound
49%
donmBamaDawgHankdradcliffdawgwood82mattmd2YoungPupdawgkeeperoldon42Denmen185VaBeachDawginsertusernamehereTxDawg412mclartywstrange_noahDawgsonTopDawgsince76greshamdiscoKirb_your_enthusiasmKasey 26 votes

Comments

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 417 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m thinking 13-1 is realistic...SC and LSU will provide a real scare, UF and AU will provide a real challenge. A loss to Bama in SECCG. NY6 bowl win.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 11

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    I’m thinking 13-1 is realistic...SC and LSU will provide a real scare, UF and AU will provide a real challenge. A loss to Bama in SECCG. NY6 bowl win.

I do not think Alabama is going to be better in 2018 than they were in 2017 for the following reasons. Alabama is going to lose more to the NFL than Georgia in this years draft. Alabama has a lot more coaching change than Georgia. I think Georgia is going to be better in 2018 than they were in 2017 for these reasons. Georgia's talent is going up rapidly especially in defensive backfield. Georgia's lose of experience by all the seniors, will matter as much by the SEC championship game will matter as much. Georgia's coaching staff is very stable.

I hope you’re right and I’d love to be wrong here. Seems like same ol song with bama. They lose players and coaches and they keep on trucking forward. I’d agree there’s a chink in that armor and we exploited it Jan. 8th, but...They will be there and we’ll see if we’re ready to dethrone them in conference. For my money, if both programs enter Atlanta in 18’ undefeated that’ll be the de facto championship game and it’ll take an aerial assault to by Fromm/Fields to win.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    15-0 Undefeated Season

I'm raising my expectations this time around to increase the odds of feeling disappointed. I'm not gonna let Kirby and crew prevent me from enjoying the crushing feeling of disappointment next season. Predicted 11-2 last time, never again

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BojanglesInsider said:
    I'm raising my expectations this time around to increase the odds of feeling disappointed. I'm not gonna let Kirby and crew prevent me from enjoying the crushing feeling of disappointment next season. Predicted 11-2 last time, never again

Like a proud Richtian!! You are starting to make me miss @12ed

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defining success is winning the SECe and getting back to the SECC game. That's been the goal for many years. Success in winning the SECC game is gravy from that point on......until we get spoiled.......

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Defining success is winning the SECe and getting back to the SECC game. That's been the goal for many years. Success in winning the SECC game is gravy from that point on......until we get spoiled.......

Even for a CKS team???

edited February 11

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Even for a CKS team???

He set the bar high his second year as a coach. All our expectations will be high based off of last year, and I just hope a lot of fans don't bit-ch and complain if we don't make it to or win the SECC game. Don't take me wrong, I'm always the 12-0, 13-0 type of fan. But when it comes to "defining success", I try to really think about that in a whole,,,,

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 23 ✭ Freshman

@ghostofuga1 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Even for a CKS team???

He set the bar high his second year as a coach. All our expectations will be high based off of last year, and I just hope a lot of fans don't bit-ch and complain if we don't make it to or win the SECC game. Don't take me wrong, I'm always the 12-0, 13-0 type of fan. But when it comes to "defining success", I try to really think about that in a whole,,,,

Fans will have a right to b*** if UGA doesn’t win the east with this roster compared to the teams in the east. It will be an utter disaster if UGA doesn’t win the east with a roster that will actually be superior in overall talent to the 2017 roster.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 499 ✭✭✭ Junior

We WILL play in the SECCG

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want back in the playoff for the 2018 version of the revenge tour

@Bigcalidawg said:
    We WILL play in the SECCG

Yes but will Georgia be in the National Championship playoffs? I think they will.

As far as how I feel? We can lose to LSU, or Cackalack and still be in SECCG.

I am happy just to be in that game. Everything after that is gravy.......

I believe we put 50 burgers on Auburn AND Florida this year. I have no clue as to the **** or LSU. I respect LSU a lot. They rarely **** and are very proud. That Troy game was different......

Ok, the deleted comment was Gamecocks, and the other was stink.

@dawgs18 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Even for a CKS team???

Fans will have a right to b*** if UGA doesn’t win the east with this roster compared to the teams in the east. It will be an utter disaster if UGA doesn’t win the east with a roster that will actually be superior in overall talent to the 2017 roster.

I agree! Bama had the superior talent in the SEC west this year. They lost 1 game all year, which was a conference game and didn't win their division or SEC....but.... pretty sure their fans aren't bit-chin about their end results. I mean...things do happen.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 211 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would say 13-1 SEC East champ and NY6 bowl game, but I know 13-1 is not going to happen next season. Given Georgia's history plus all of the seniors we're leaving from this team. It's not happening. Look at 1983 Georgia, 2003 Georgia, 2008 Georgia, and 2013 Georgia's records after having historically great 1982, 2002, 2007, and 2012 seasons. Georgia may have the #1 recruiting class, but they are playing at the college level and must have a lot of play time experience first before they reach their peak. I predicted 2017 Georgia to go 14-1 and beat Clemson in the national title game before the season began, don't believe me, then I'll archive my post for you. Because I knew coming into the 2017 season we had the most returning starters on both sides of the ball since the 2012 team, but I never knew Jake Fromm as a true freshman QB would start over an injured Jacob Eason the whole year, I would have never thought that we'd have a rematch against Auburn in the SEC title game and play Oklahoma in the ROSE BOWL with a thriller like that. Great season, but 2018 Georgia will be missing all the senior leadership (and juniors who declared for the NFL).

My prediction is that Georgia will either win the SEC East and lose the SEC championship or we don't win the East but still get in a really good bowl game. 2018 Georgia will go 10-3, 11-2, or 11-3 (like the 2003 Georgia team did). I predict Georgia to get back in the College Football Playoff by January 2021 for the 2020 season when our #3 ranked 2017 class are seniors and our #1 ranked 2018 class are juniors. That will be a fully experienced team who is like a better version of the 2017 team with a better secondary, better pass rush, better O-line, and a more experience QB whether senior Jake Fromm is starting or junior Justin Fields giving us that dynamic, and we will break the 40 year drought that year. 2018 and 2019 will be Georgia's rebuilding, reloading, and preparation years for what's coming soon and it will be special. I'm going to be very patient. If 2018 Georgia finishes 10-3, I won't be surprised or disappointed, I'll only be happier that our young pups are getting a lot of experience in.

Just remember, just because a season goes one way, doesn't mean it'll go exactly the other way. This upcoming season for college football is a DIFFERENT season. Same goes for the NFL. I had to tell Falcons fans that the 2017 team wasn't going to be the same as the 2016 team, and look what happened. The Falcons offense wasn't the same. Now even though college football can't be compared to the NFL, I will say this though that it's not easy for a team to get back to the national title game as well. Only Alabama and Clemson have been to back to back national titles in recent years, and that's because of Alabama with Nick Saban and Clemson with Deshaun Watson. Don't expect the 2018 Georgia team to get back to the January 2019 playoff. Every team on our schedule knows how good we were throughout 2017. They no longer believe we were the 8-5 team from a year ago. Same for the Falcons after everybody knew they were in the Super Bowl a year ago.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    15-0 Undefeated Season

@VaBeachDawg said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

Like a proud Richtian!! You are starting to make me miss @12ed

I missed Richt last year so dam much. I thought we'd drop a game in south bend or miss state or even UF during the preseason but NO Kirby had to go and overachieve. I couldn't even quell the excitement I was feeling. It felt awful not being able to dwell in depression over losing to a team we shouldn't have like in years past. My therapist told me to **** it up and go and that PTSD isn't real and that I need to "man up" but it isn't that easy when you have these feelings inside. If I was in the closet I think it would feel like this richt PTSD, fortunately I'm not in the closet and I favor being inside a woman over the other options our wonderful society gives us these days.

@mqg96 said:
    I would say 13-1 SEC East champ and NY6 bowl game, but I know 13-1 is not going to happen next season. Given Georgia's history plus all of the seniors we're leaving from this team. It's not happening. Look at 1983 Georgia, 2003 Georgia, 2008 Georgia, and 2013 Georgia's records after having historically great 1982, 2002, 2007, and 2012 seasons. Georgia may have the #1 recruiting class, but they are playing at the college level and must have a lot of play time experience first before they reach their peak. I predicted 2017 Georgia to go 14-1 and beat Clemson in the national title game before the season began, don't believe me, then I'll archive my post for you. Because I knew coming into the 2017 season we had the most returning starters on both sides of the ball since the 2012 team, but I never knew Jake Fromm as a true freshman QB would start over an injured Jacob Eason the whole year, I would have never thought that we'd have a rematch against Auburn in the SEC title game and play Oklahoma in the ROSE BOWL with a thriller like that. Great season, but 2018 Georgia will be missing all the senior leadership (and juniors who declared for the NFL).

My prediction is that Georgia will either win the SEC East and lose the SEC championship or we don't win the East but still get in a really good bowl game. 2018 Georgia will go 10-3, 11-2, or 11-3 (like the 2003 Georgia team did). I predict Georgia to get back in the College Football Playoff by January 2021 for the 2020 season when our #3 ranked 2017 class are seniors and our #1 ranked 2018 class are juniors. That will be a fully experienced team who is like a better version of the 2017 team with a better secondary, better pass rush, better O-line, and a more experience QB whether senior Jake Fromm is starting or junior Justin Fields giving us that dynamic, and we will break the 40 year drought that year. 2018 and 2019 will be Georgia's rebuilding, reloading, and preparation years for what's coming soon and it will be special. I'm going to be very patient. If 2018 Georgia finishes 10-3, I won't be surprised or disappointed, I'll only be happier that our young pups are getting a lot of experience in.

Just remember, just because a season goes one way, doesn't mean it'll go exactly the other way. This upcoming season for college football is a DIFFERENT season. Same goes for the NFL. I had to tell Falcons fans that the 2017 team wasn't going to be the same as the 2016 team, and look what happened. The Falcons offense wasn't the same. Now even though college football can't be compared to the NFL, I will say this though that it's not easy for a team to get back to the national title game as well. Only Alabama and Clemson have been to back to back national titles in recent years, and that's because of Alabama with Nick Saban and Clemson with Deshaun Watson. Don't expect the 2018 Georgia team to get back to the January 2019 playoff. Every team on our schedule knows how good we were throughout 2017. They no longer believe we were the 8-5 team from a year ago. Same for the Falcons after everybody knew they were in the Super Bowl a year ago.

Sir, your post is flat out obtuse. If we lose 2 games, the 2nd loss will be in the SECCG.

Our offense is LOADED! I have faith in Brian Herrien and Elijah Holifield. I believe the O line will be better than last year. We will control the ball on the ground.

@dawgs18 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Even for a CKS team???

DILLY DILLY!!

@Bigcalidawg said:

@mqg96 said:

Sir, your post is flat out obtuse. If we lose 2 games, the 2nd loss will be in the SECCG.

Our offense is LOADED! I have faith in Brian Herrien and Elijah Holifield. I believe the O line will be better than last year. We will control the ball on the ground.

So many people, I guess still suffering from years of acute Ritchian syndrome, don’t seem to understand that 100% of the teams on our schedule also have to replace some of their biggest contributors from last year. They also fail to appreciate that, counter to popular Richtian syndrome belief, people not named Chubb, Sony, Carter, and Bellamy actually participated in football operations last year and have been preparing to step up as starters and significant contributors. So many people post on here like Holyfield, Ledbetter, Grant, harring, Richie, the entire ‘17 oline class, and deandre walker spent all of last year locked in a dark closet. Relax. We will be fine.

I firmly believe that we don’t need the freshmen tailbacks at all. Now, two of those Olinemen, yeah, we need them, but our O is going to be deadly.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 56 ✭✭ Sophmore
    edited February 11

I won't say our offense is loaded but our O will be better than. Last year and we will have a dominant O line...if we lose a game it will be in the 1st half of the year. By mid
    season our D will be gelling. I predict 1 regular-season loss, well be in the SEC Championship game. Although I hope we don't lose any games.
    If we beat Bama in the championship game I don't think we'll have any problems winning the NCSG.

@law_dawg35 said:
    I won't say our offense is loaded but our O will be better than. Last year and we will have a dominant O line...if we lose a game it will be in the 1st half of the year. By mid
    season our D will be gelling. I predict 1 regular-season loss, well be in the SEC Championship game. Although I hope we don't lose any games.
    If we beat Miami in the championship game I don't think we'll have any problems winning the NCSG.

I like it

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mqg96 said:

If the 2017 class is as good as advertised then I doubt they stick around until 2020. I expect there to be a slight drop off in 2018, at least in the first half of the season, but 2019 is the year we should have circled (just in time to welcome Notre Dame and Texas A&M to Athens). The defense might take some time to warm up this year, but the offense will make up for that drop off IMO. O-Line should be better, infusion of talent into the receiving corp, and a stable of running backs that can rival anyone.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have to get away from the Richt era way of thinking. How do you think Alabama fans would answer this question? Are we there yet? I don't know, but I want to believe so. Anyone who has ever entered any competition knows that you have to believe that you are to win. If you don't, you have already lost.

Also, comparing the Dawgs to the Falcons is absurd. Totally different situations.

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I firmly believe that we don’t need the freshmen tailbacks at all. Now, two of those Olinemen, yeah, we need them, but our O is going to be deadly.

Georgia does not need the Freshmen at all. Mays will come in as the 4/5 tackle. Ericson will be the 2/3 center and Hill/Salyer as the 5/6 guards. This is the difference between CMR and CKS is that like Alabama now a Freshman may play but you do not need to depend on them. Yes it will be great if someone like Campbell, Salyer or Cook/White becoms a starter but it will not be out of need. The closest Georgia comes to need is Camarda as punter and that is only because we do not how good Marshall Long is after his injury.

@oldon42 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Georgia does not need the Freshmen at all. Mays will come in as the 4/5 tackle. Ericson will be the 2/3 center and Hill/Salyer as the 5/6 guards. This is the difference between CMR and CKS is that like Alabama now a Freshman may play but you do not need to depend on them. Yes it will be great if someone like Campbell, Salyer or Cook/White becoms a starter but it will not be out of need. The closest Georgia comes to need is Camarda as punter and that is only because we do not how good Marshall Long is after his injury.

Thoughtful post. God bless our DAWGS

@Bigcalidawg said:

@mqg96 said:

We don't know how the season will truly play out. That 2017 Georgia team was Georgia's best team in terms of what we accomplished since 1982. 35 years! 2013 Georgia had a better offense than the 2012 team and returned everybody from Aaron Murray, to Chris Conley, a better Todd Gurley, Malcolm Mitchell, Justin Scott Wesley, Michael Bennett, Arthur Lynch, etc. That offense was loaded when healthy, but 2013 Georgia lost a lot of players on defense from the 2012 team which hurt us badly, and teams like Missouri and Auburn came out of no where. The 2018 Georgia defense will struggle losing a bunch of linebackers including Roquan Smith and our secondary is gonna have to rebuild. We got the top cornerback from the country but it'll still take a couple of years for our secondary to finally be elite.

You never know what can happen in the SEC. Could Dan Mullen make 2018 Florida the new 2013 Auburn? We don't know for sure. Will South Carolina in Columbia be too much for the dawgs? In the Clean Old Fashioned Hate series against Georgia
    Tech will the road team continue its winning streak since 2013 or 2014?

2008 Georgia returned MORE players from the 2007 team than what the 2013 Georgia team returned from 2012 and even who this 2018 Georgia team is currently returning from 2017, and 2008 Georgia with Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno got WORSE than the 2007 team. Injuries, worse defense, or whatever. 2018 Georgia will have it much tougher than the 2017 team mark my word. I don't think we match our 13-2 record or do better next season.

edited February 11

@AgDawg said:

@mqg96 said:

If the 2017 class is as good as advertised then I doubt they stick around until 2020. I expect there to be a slight drop off in 2018, at least in the first half of the season, but 2019 is the year we should have circled (just in time to welcome Notre Dame and Texas A&M to Athens). The defense might take some time to warm up this year, but the offense will make up for that drop off IMO. O-Line should be better, infusion of talent into the receiving corp, and a stable of running backs that can rival anyone.

2019 Georgia will probably be like the 2015 Clemson team who made it all the way to the 2016 CFP championship game and lost to Alabama, before they returned everybody in 2016 and made it back to the 2017 CFP championship game in the rematch and broke their 35 year drought. 2015 Clemson also welcomed Notre Dame to their home turf the year before they won it all in 2016 (January 2017). Just like 2019 Georgia will welcome Notre Dame to Athens before we win it all in 2020 (January 2021) to break our 40 year drought. Clemson got revenge against Alabama in the national championship rematch in white jerseys. I say Georgia will get revenge against Alabama when we finally return to Tuscaloosa in 2020 when we are wearing our white jerseys. Jake Fromm as a senior or Justin Fields as a junior going into Tuscaloosa against a Nick Saban defense, just like Cam Newton in 2010, Johnny Manziel in 2012, and Chad Kelly in 2015. I like our chances by then. In fact, I believe when Georgia goes to Tuscaloosa in 2020 we will give Alabama their first home loss since Ole Miss in 2015, I'm calling it here right now.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember when Kirby got hired and was saying, “Why not Georgia? Why not us?” I don’t know, maybe I dreamed it. Maybe it was in We Are Marshall. I don’t know. It doesn’t matter. What does matter is someone has to win all the marbles, and we are as good as anyone. We have the talent, the coaching, and our schedule is weak sauce. Let’s run, Dawgs, and bring it home this year. (Disclaimer: I think we go undefeated every year, so what do I know?)