James cook

AtlDawgAtlDawg Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophmore

@JeffSentell Is there any concern about his ability to run between the tackles. Will he just be a perimeter guy if he dosent pack on some pounds?

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the o-line lives up to expectations it won’t be a problem for Cook.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I bet he gets a decent bit of action in the slot (not saying he starts, but at least in blowouts), or passes out of the backfield. Seems to be a solid receiver already.

• BengalDawgBengalDawg Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman
    edited February 12

Not sure why Cook gets all the talk like he is too frail to play between the tackles. His brother Dalvin was 5-11 190 out of high school and James is 5-11.5 181. Dalvin went on to have a successful CFB career running anywhere he pleased.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 71 ✭✭ Sophmore

@BengalDawg said:
    Not sure why Cook gets all the talk like he is too frail to play between the tackles. His brother Dalvin was 5-11 190 out of high school and James is 5-11.5 181. Dalvin went on to have a successful CFB career running anywhere he pleased.

There's no guarantee he's as good as his brother. Dalvin ran a 4.46 forty in high school. James ran a 4.71. But I recall hearing a defender on a team they played this year saying Cook was the fastest guy he's ever played against.

I can say this, he's going to need to put on 15+ pounds without losing any quickness if he's going to be able to withstand the rigors of running between the tackles in the SEC.

Fortunately Swift has proven himself to be highly effective. Herring and Holyfield are solid, just not elite. It would be nice if Zeus was 100% come September, but that's likely not going to be the case. So we'll need Cook to contribute.

I think I'm most excited/anxious to see how much better the O-Line is going to be. As has been mentioned, if they are as good as to be expected, we will be having running backs hitting the second level early and often. The sky is the limit for our offense this year.

• SavannahDawg1SavannahDawg1 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't sleep on James Cook. He will need a few years to bulk up..with him being undersized(for our style of RBs) But he tore up the Army All America Game

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 71 ✭✭ Sophmore

@levander said:
    @gdawg4life I agree with you about Herrien not being elite. Above average, a chance for a short career in the NFL, but not elite. I’m not so convinced about Holyfield not being elite. The one kickoff return he got all year was against Notre Dame and he **** near ran it back for a touchdown. Think he was brought down at the 5 before it was called back for a ****, needless holding penalty someone on our team committed.

Holyfield’s recruiting rank wasn’t elite coming out of high school. But I’d like to see at least a few quarters of non-garbage time play before we rule him out as elite.

My main reasoning is he was passed by Swift on the depth chart. However, Holyfield payed better than Herrien this year. Not sure what was up with Herrien, but he seemed to regress a little compared to the prior year. He dropped nearly 1.5 ypc compared to 2016. Holyfield was up about 1 ypc over his 2016 numbers. As a matter of fact, all RB's increased their YPC numbers except Herrien. Either way, with Swift, a healthy Zeus, Holyfield, Herrien and Cook, we should be solid at RB. Especially with improved O-Line play.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Holyfield is elite but his style is veey similar to Chubb and Sony so he dropped on the depth chart to Swift whom is more versatile.

As for Cook he will be more than okay. He is faster than his 40 time, awkwardly calm, and a game changer. Just becauss you are a RB doesnt mean you have to always go between the tackles. Reggie Bush can go between the tackles but didnt need to every time. I expect that from Cook (similar to how Michel and Swift bounce out and sweep a lot).

P.S. that throw Lawerence made in that video scares me. Wow!!! Kid is deserving of the #1 ranking.

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another thing about Holyfield and the depth chart. He was clearly the better back than Herrien. Yeah it was also clear that Herrien was just above Holyfield on the depth chart.

I’ve always felt like Holyfield has been treated like the red headed step child on the team. Part of it was the pre-season injury his freshman year that Kirby made public comments about, saying how tough it is for a freshman to get injured pre-season. It just puts him so far behind figuring out what’s going on in practice. Part of it is probably the off season marijuana arrest before his sophomore season.

But stuff happened like he **** near ran that kick off return back for a touchdown against Notre Dame. Then he didn’t get to return a single kick off return the entire rest of the season.

I do not want to believe Kirby is the type of man that holds some kind of weird grudge. I believe Holyfield will get a chance on-field to show us his stuff. And not during garbage time.

• levanderlevander Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That video of Cook that SavannahDawg posted. It reminds me of Cooks high school highlight film. Wide open holes that all Cook has to do is to run into.

I’m not saying I’m down on Cook. He never would have been ranked so high if all he can do is run into open holes. But I just haven’t seen any film on tha kid that’s looked amazing like you’d think the #3 RB would have. All I’ve seen is footage of him doing what he’s supposed to do and doing it competently.

• dawgdaddy90dawgdaddy90 Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Problem with herien to me seemed like he was mad about his depth chart position remember the vague tweets about leaving (which may be best for him if he wants meaningful playing time) attitude can go a long way. And i think he could be part of the attrition that has to take place in order for us to get under 85

• jt200jt200 Posts: 33 ✭ Freshman

Cook got his 40 time to a 4.4

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Warrick Dunn

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jt200 said:
    Cook got his 40 time to a 4.4

...according to Cook. I dont care about his 40 time after the way he ran circles around everyone in the AA game. He ran track and has a posted 200 time of 22.03. That's slower than Michel and Chubb by a little bit.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't wait to see Cook on the field. If he is anything like his brother, he will be a Hugh pick-up. Also anxious to see Holyfield get more playing time, looked great last year. To me, it looked like Herrien tried to once everything outside last year, seemed to regress from freshman year.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dalvin ran behind a horrible offensive line as well. Imagine James running the ball through the line that Georgia can build.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I think Holyfield is elite but his style is veey similar to Chubb and Sony so he dropped on the depth chart to Swift whom is more versatile.

P.S. that throw Lawerence made in that video scares me. Wow!!! Kid is deserving of the #1 ranking.

Lawrence was an INT machine at the Elite 11 when Fields beat him.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

And didn't exactly set the AA game on fire, either.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cook does need to add some weight, but he will be a good one especially on check downs. Holyfield seems to me to have some aggression/physicality in his running style that Herrien seems to lack. Don't get me wrong, I love Herrien. I'm just not sure yet if he could be the 2nd option at RB.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

That's what I was going to say. Lawrence didn't look too good for awhile in that game (2 INTs and a fumble). Although, he settled down and played better later on, which is a good sign of his mental makeup.

• strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophmore

After watching the Army All-America game I don't worry about Cook. He seemed to up his level of play when he was playing against the best in the country. Looks extremely versatile. There's no telling but he could be like his brother (who is an animal). I don't take too much out of a high school 40-yard dash just because your speed and time can drastically improve just based on technique. Not saying he can be a 4.3 guy like his brother but watching him on the field no way he is a 4.7 guy.

Holyfield, on the other hand, looks like an animal. I think that he will be the 1B to Swift this year. His jump cuts and strength are incredible from what we have seen in garbage time. Altogether not worried about the RB position at all.

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Without Zeus, Holyfield is the only one that I see with the furious, run-right-through-you, bruiser type of mentality that is essential. I truly believe he will be our feature back this year, with Swift being 1b and Cook being the new Swiss army knife.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Midnite_Train said:
    Without Zeus, Holyfield is the only one that I see with the furious, run-right-through-you, bruiser type of mentality that is essential. I truly believe he will be our feature back this year, with Swift being 1b and Cook being the new Swiss army knife.

The UF lizard DB that he trucked and hurt may disagree with you on how powerful Swift can run!

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anyone doubting him because he was 2 spots behind Zeus needs a reality check. This kid is GOOD. Cook had a great showing in the US Army All American game against elite talent. He even paid tribute to our soldiers after his first TD.

We're at the point where our RB room is full of so much talent, y'all are somehow doubting a guy because he's rated slightly behind the #1 RB in the country. We'll be fine. Cook will be a great addition to this team. BTW, He was rated .0052 less than Swift. C'mon guys.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 13

Cook's 247 composite score (97.86) would have been good enough for 3rd in Bama's class, 2nd in LSU's class, and he would have been the no. 1 recruit in any of the other eleven SEC schools.

You'd have to be pretty dang amazing to be rated 9th in UGA's EPIC class of 2018. It was really that good.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Anyone doubting him because he was 2 spots behind Zeus needs a reality check. This kid is GOOD. Cook had a great showing in the US Army All American game against elite talent. He even paid tribute to our soldiers after his first TD.

We're at the point where our RB room is full of so much talent, y'all are somehow doubting a guy because he's rated slightly behind the #1 RB in the country. We'll be fine. Cook will be a great addition to this team. BTW, He was rated .0052 less than Swift. C'mon guys.

Agree. We are Bama-deep at RB now. In fact, I'd say our RB depth is better than Bama's. For the last 10 years Bama has been the gold standard for RB depth. I think we have taken over that title. The only knock on Cook is that he is small compared to the rest of our RBs. I'd bet he will come in around 205lbs by the first game, which is Moreno's size. He did pretty good at that size.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA lists Swift as 5'9" 215 and Holyfield at 5'11" 215. I'll let someone else handle the physics lesson.

Franco Harris could run people over, but he had a very long and productive career by being smart enough not to take on more contact than was necessary. You get more yards after contact by trying to avoid direct contact.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Holyfield's the new thunder. Angry runner! Hope he reaches his potential.