Statues at Sanford

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Article today mentioned statues for legendary players. This can easily get out of hand unless specific criteria is used, such as Heisman Award recipients or captains of national championship teams, etc. I would suggest Heisman Award recipients. No gray areas that way. Any other ideas?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like that policy. Just limit it to the best of the best and not go overboard. Also, you shouldn't get a statue until you're over 50 years old. Guys like Fran Tarkenton, Vince Dooley, Herschel should be no-brainers for statues.

Also, don't give one to someone who may or may not presided over a child rapist during their tenure

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like that idea, but that would leave out great defensive players because they never win the Heisman.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:
    I like that idea, but that would leave out great defensive players because they never win the Heisman.

Maybe a winner of the Heisman equivalent for LB or DB or DL if there are such equivalents.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Leave it to the members of the UGA Sports Hall of Fame members to vote. The "award" accolades are so diluted these days, it would be best to have the recognition from those who have earned their own.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Should be Trippi, Sinkwich and Hershe, that would be A GREAT three to start with.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Reeldawg said:
    I remember a similar post about this subject awhile ago.

One member came up with a great idea to have a statute (or two) while also including busts so that more former Dawgs could be honored.

I would like to see a bust of Larry Munson at the stadium.

and maybe a push button recording of him saying "Sugar is falling from the sky" or one of his many incredible quotes?

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Definitely need some kind of tribute to Munson, maybe a bust of him and one of Erk Russell. Erk was a great defensive coach and maybe the best motivater of all time. He was the heart and soul of the Georgia teams from the middle 1960's to 1981. He was also a great head coach at Georgia Southern. I don't know if we have a UGA hall of fame, but would be nice to have one with an outside entrance by the new west side gate, could have busts or pictures of our all-time greats.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He already has a statue down at southern.

• RunLindseyRunRunLindseyRun Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Trippi and Sinkwich should be included with statues.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dbrown7494 said:
    He already has a statue down at southern.

He was a Dawg first. How bout the bust idea? Can't imagine not recognizing Munson and Russell. Things can get diluted quickly though...

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To my knowledge Dooley is the only statue we have.
    It’s of him being carried off the field on the shoulders of players.
    Located at entrance of track.

• DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I think the criteria should be any Heisman winners or any player that is abducted to the College or Pro Hall of Fame.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawgBK said:
    I think the criteria should be any Heisman winners or any player that is abducted to the College or Pro Hall of Fame.

That is a wild criterion. Abducted to the college or pro hall of fame. That would be huge news with flashing lights and scary SWAT standoffs

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawgBK said:

We'd have about 13 statues alone for just the college HoF. Then you'd have to add players like Terrell Davis, and eventually players like Geno Atkins, etc. if we included Pro HoF-ers. That'd be a ton of statues.

• DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman
    edited 1:14PM

@Teddy @BojanglesInsider My bad haha inducted**. On break at work, guess wishing to be abducted. I know I think quite a bit of statues would be nice. Be an extra classy thing to add to the Classic City. If nothing else can we at least get one of Herschel??? If my research is right, I think that would be 13 total statues to add.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Trippi, Sinkwich & of course Hershel should be the three for right now, maybe busts of other somewhere on the stadium premises.