Bama vs UGA RB depth

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did some stats on RB depth and came up with this comparing the top 4 RBs at each school and their recruiting rankings.

Bama:
D Harris - National #31, Position - #1
N. Harris - National #2, Position #1
Robinson - National #145, Position #8
Ford - National #370, Position # 12
Average - National #137, Position # 5.5

UGA:
Holyfield - National #162, Position #6
Swift - National #33, Position #4
White - National #9, Position #1
Cook - National #41, Position #3
Average - National #61, Position #3.5

I don't know if this means anything on the field, but if anyone was concerned about RB depth, I'd say we are looking pretty good.

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You left off Herrian lol. But I dont think people are worried its just the lose of 2 alltime greats is scary.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    You left off Herrian lol. But I dont think people are worried its just the lose of 2 alltime greats is scary.

Herrien was only a 3-star recruit. Bama has a couple of 3-star RBs also that I left off. Just going by the top guys based on star rating. The scarry thing is OSUs RB depth. No 5-star guys, but they have 7 top 4-star guys. Their 7-deep roster averages 4.8 at the position.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be surprised if Hurts doesn't get a look at RB for 'bama next year, obviously doesn't have NFL ability at QB and don't see him beating out Tua.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Would be surprised if Hurts doesn't get a look at RB for 'bama next year, obviously doesn't have NFL ability at QB and don't see him beating out Tua.

Hurts won't play at RB. He won't beat out Tua so I'd expect him to make a change to either WR or transfer.

• levanderlevander Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only way it makes sense to me if Jalen stays is if he just doesn’t see himself as an NFL player, and he wants to coach not long after school.

But even if that’s his career path, transferring I still think would be better for him. He’s seen how Saban does it. Now he can transfer to another school and see how another great coach does it.

Jalen is a smart kid though. It’s going to be interesting to see what he decides.

What about Bama’s depth at o-line? That’s at least as relevant to their rushing performance as their RB depth is.

I know Bama had a great o-line last year. But we had a great o-line too, and ours was young. And we were red shirting immense talent like Isaiah Wilson that we’ll have this year. Plus the possibility that Salyer can contribute even as a freshman...

I haven’t looked at it. But I’m hoping our o-line depth is notably superior to Bama’s.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

@coastaldawg said:

Hurts won't play at RB. He won't beat out Tua so I'd expect him to make a change to either WR or transfer.

Agree with that.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    What about Bama’s depth at o-line? That’s at least as relevant to their rushing performance as their RB depth is.

I know Bama had a great o-line last year. But we had a great o-line too, and ours was young. And we were red shirting immense talent like Isaiah Wilson that we’ll have this year. Plus the possibility that Salyer can contribute even as a freshman...

I haven’t looked at it. But I’m hoping our o-line depth is notably superior to Bama’s.

I imagine we've been recruiting a little better on o-line the last two years, but I bet the talent is still about equal. Bama always has one of the top o-lines in the country.

• mleemlee Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Herrien was only a 3-star recruit. Bama has a couple of 3-star RBs also that I left off. Just going by the top guys based on star rating. The scarry thing is OSUs RB depth. No 5-star guys, but they have 7 top 4-star guys. Their 7-deep roster averages 4.8 at the position.

How good is OSU OL though? With our RB and the OL we have they should be able to run for days.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Teddy said:

@levander said:

I imagine we've been recruiting a little better on o-line the last two years, but I bet the talent is still about equal. Bama always has one of the top o-lines in the country.

Bama got leatherwood in 2017 and Jonah Williams in 16. Two high 5 stars. And I’d have to look back but I’m sure they got some high 4 stars as well

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@Teddy said:

@levander said:

Bama got leatherwood in 2017 and Jonah Williams in 16. Two high 5 stars. And I’d have to look back but I’m sure they got some high 4 stars as well

Figured I'd break it down last 3 years:

Bama -
    OT - 2 five star, 4 four star
    OG - 4 four star
    C - 1 four star, 1 three star

UGA -
    OT - 2 five star, 3 four star, 3 three star (one 3 star is Kindley as OT)
    OG - 1 five star, 2 four star, 1 three star
    C - 1 four star

Bama has less three stars, but we have more 5 stars. I'd say it's fairly even overall, just going off rankings.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

247 Composite scores:
    Bama:
    D Harris - .9866
    N. Harris - .9984
    Robinson - .9361
    Clark - .9670
    Ford - .8909
    Average - .9558

UGA:
    Holyfield - .9297
    Swift - .9838
    Herrien - .8489
    White - .9957
    Cook - .9786
    Average - .9473

...if your going on recruiting rankings.

Otherwise, I think they're pretty even as Herrien was underrated.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:

"But we had a great o-line too." I still can't believe those words. After what we endured in 2015 and 2016 with average to below average lines. And even 2014, when we had a seemingly average o-line that eventually became good, not great. And bolstered by an unbelievable group of backs: Gurley, Marshall, Chubb, and Michel.
    But what a turnaround. And that doesn't even include guys like Wilson, Johnson, and Shaffer, to name a few. Not to mention starters Cleveland and Thomas when they reach their full potential.
    We strive to be as good as Bama, but I think it is safe to say, we are better than Bama at our o-line, at least depth wise.

• LagunadawgLagunadawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

@Teddy said:

@judasdurant said:

@Teddy said:

@levander said:

Figured I'd break it down last 3 years:

Bama -
    OT - 2 five star, 4 four star
    OG - 4 four star
    C - 1 four star, 1 three star

UGA -
    OT - 2 five star, 3 four star, 3 three star (one 3 star is Kindley as OT)
    OG - 1 five star, 2 four star, 1 three star
    C - 1 four star

Bama has less three stars, but we have more 5 stars. I'd say it's fairly even overall, just going off rankings.

• LagunadawgLagunadawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

UGA is catching up but are still young. UGA will be closer in 2018 but 2019 before we see UGA’s first legit OL since 2002. Thevreason UGA has no Championship teams in decades can be traced directly to poor OL talent and bad DC’s. Those days are in the past.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 385 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs and Bama both have a stable full of good backs, maybe a slight edge to Bama going into season. O-line makes the difference, that’s where the dawgs should be better.

Where I think Georgia might have the edge on o-line is how young our guys were last year. Was Bama starting a true freshman last year? College players make a lot of progress in their sophomore year at a spot as difficult as o-line.

We are losing Wynn and that is a question mark. But didn’t I see that Bama is losing their center? As much as chemistry has to do with o-line, the center is the guy that stuff revolves around.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    247 Composite scores:
    Bama:
    D Harris - .9866
    N. Harris - .9984
    Robinson - .9361
    Clark - .9670
    Ford - .8909
    Average - .9558

UGA:
    Holyfield - .9297
    Swift - .9838
    Herrien - .8489
    White - .9957
    Cook - .9786
    Average - .9473

...if your going on recruiting rankings.

Otherwise, I think they're pretty even as Herrien was underrated.

Not that you are going off the rankings, but I would say Bama has a better top 2 at this point (waiting for Zeus and Cook to show how we expect them to), but I think UGA has better overall talent top to bottom. The Harris boys are no joke and I think D. Harris is a little underrated. I also think UGAs backs are more versatile. All can catch the ball out of the backfield except maybe Holyfield (and we may just haven't seen it a lot).

And also when it comes to the offensive line I think Bama has the slight edge. I know J. Williams moved to LT, but will probably switch back to RT since he didn't play as well on the left side and then Leatherwood is a big boy. I think where Bama has us beat is they just have more legit Tackles. I think UGA has recruited really well but we have a ton of OG, when we grab a Wayna Morris or somebody with the length and the foot speed and has played at OT at a high level to provide depth at the Tackle spot.

But like @Lagunadawg said, following 2018/19 we should have the edge. Especially if we can go a second year without allowing Bama to snag one of our Georgia boys in recruiting. Still blown away that they didn't dip into the state. This will be a tough year to hold them off!