Massive OL from Alabama with Georgia roots

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Check this class of 2020 kid out. Joseph Stone. 6'8", 350lbs
I heard Kirby say on the podcast that he likes tall guys (or something like that). You can coach size and technique. You can't coach height. I actually met Joseph last year. His dad and I work for the same company. Joe is the largest human being I have ever seen. Doesn't look like he's rated yet, but I think that is because he recently switched schools from Georgia to Alabama because of his dad's work. He does have one D1 offer from Louisville and since he lives in Trussville, I know Saban has been talking to him. His family is originally from Georgia and are HUGE Dawg fans. I expect he will get some attention and a fairly high rating.

https://247sports.com/player/joseph-stone-46052020

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice scoop

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It says he's class 2019. Anyhow, there's got to be a reason why he doesn't have major Power 5 offers just yet. Reminds me of Daniel Faalele. There's got to be a reason why Faalele didn't end up at a better school other than Minnesota. Just because you're tall, doesn't mean you'll be beat out your assignment every time. I honestly think it's worse to be that tall. If you ever played football, the one things coaches stress on the line is that the lowest man will beat you every time.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    It says he's class 2019. Anyhow, there's got to be a reason why he doesn't have major Power 5 offers just yet. Reminds me of Daniel Faalele. There's got to be a reason why Faalele didn't end up at a better school other than Minnesota. Just because you're tall, doesn't mean you'll be beat out your assignment every time. I honestly think it's worse to be that tall. If you ever played football, the one things coaches stress on the line is that the lowest man will beat you every time.

Maybe he is class of 2019. I met him last year and I thought he said he was a sophomore. Thought this was his junior year.
    He does have one P5 offer from Louisville despite not being rated. Makes me think they see some potential. My guess is that he will probably end up at least a 3-star simply due to his size. When I met him his dad said Saban had already been to the house. A lot of times with these really tall linemen, they have skinny legs. This kids legs are tree-trunks. He seriously is massive.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,502 admin

Pierce Quick is at Trussville. That's the Richard LeCounte III/Nolan Smith II of the 2019 class for Alabama.

@JeffSentell said:
    Pierce Quick is at Trussville. That's the Richard LeCounte III/Nolan Smith II of the 2019 class for Alabama.

If you have any contacts with UGA recruiters, you might want to let them know about this guy. He's not on the national radar yet, but I know he and his family are big Bulldog fans. They are in Alabama only because of Dad's job.

• shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 14

@pgjackson said:
    I heard Kirby say on the podcast that he likes tall guys (or something like that). You can coach size and technique. You can't coach height. I actually met Joseph last year. His dad and I work for the same company. Joe is the largest human being I have ever seen. Doesn't look like he's rated yet, but I think that is because he recently switched schools from Georgia to Alabama because of his dad's work. He does have one D1 offer from Louisville and since he lives in Trussville, I know Saban has been talking to him. His family is originally from Georgia and are HUGE Dawg fans. I expect he will get some attention and a fairly high rating.

You can't coach athleticism either. Most people think a kid with a big body will make a great lineman, and this is far from the truth. Many big bodied kids are just eye candy, and will get some offers based on their size...insert Daniel Faalele here. If you watch a power 5 O-lineman work, it is beautiful the way they move. I watched Isaiah Wilson work out this past summer, and it honestly didn't look real... a kid that big moving so fast and smoothly. I have never seen any film on the kid in question and may be wrong in my assumption, but if he was an athletic big body he would be covered up in offers from big schools already.

Looks like he now has offers from Louisville, Purdue, C. Mich and FAU.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

@pgjackson said:

You can't coach athleticism either. Most people think a kid with a big body will make a great lineman, and this is far from the truth. Many big bodied kids are just eye candy, and will get some offers based on their size...insert Daniel Faalele here. If you watch a power 5 O-lineman work, it is beautiful the way they move. I watched Isaiah Wilson work out this past summer, and it honestly didn't look real... a kid that big moving so fast and smoothly. I have never seen any film on the kid in question and may be wrong in my assumption, but if he was an athletic big body he would be covered up in offers from big schools already.

Faalele is pretty athletic. He's only been playing football for about a year and a half. That's the only reason he didn't go to a big time school. He was probably seen as too big of a project for a contender.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:

Being that Quick is an OT, safe to assume this other kid isnt being overlooked.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@shhmitty said:

@pgjackson said:

Faalele is pretty athletic. He's only been playing football for about a year and a half. That's the only reason he didn't go to a big time school. He was probably seen as too big of a project for a contender.

UGA thought enough of his potential to fly him and his family all the way from Australia for an OV. I think they saw some potential in him.

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@shhmitty said:

@pgjackson said:

UGA thought enough of his potential to fly him and his family all the way from Australia for an OV. I think they saw some potential in him.

Can you work a prospect out during an OV? That would be a good reason to bring a kid like that in for a visit. Dont know the rules, but it appears he never had a legitimate offer.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior

In 2018 we signed two guards ranked #1 & #2 and a #3 tackle. Plus, we signed a #5 OC, a #3 TE, Condon and Fitzpatrick. No doubt, 2018 will go down as a benchmark for top offensive line talent in the history of Georgia recruiting.
    In 2019, when you look at OG, #1 Thomas has committed to LSU, #2 from IMG has no favorites, and #3, also from IMG, is a Miami lean. From Georgia, Jones is #6 and a Clemson lean. Plus I hear Georgia has backed off on him. Next highest from Georgia is Simonds at #18, but he is a favorite for V. Tech. #19 and also from Ga, Murray doesn't have a Georgia offer.
    So at this point, it looks like we'll have to go out of state to lure a higher ranked OG or we just pass and wait till next year. Realize we have a lot of depth and talent at this position, but I don't know if teams ever want to pass on a position of such importance.

@MarkBoknecht said:
    In 2018 we signed two guards ranked #1 & #2 and a #3 tackle. Plus, we signed a #5 OC, a #3 TE, Condon and Fitzpatrick. No doubt, 2018 will go down as a benchmark for top offensive line talent in the history of Georgia recruiting.
    In 2019, when you look at OG, #1 Thomas has committed to LSU, #2 from IMG has no favorites, and #3, also from IMG, is a Miami lean. From Georgia, Jones is #6 and a Clemson lean. Plus I hear Georgia has backed off on him. Next highest from Georgia is Simonds at #18, but he is a favorite for V. Tech. #19 and also from Ga, Murray doesn't have a Georgia offer.
    So at this point, it looks like we'll have to go out of state to lure a higher ranked OG or we just pass and wait till next year. Realize we have a lot of depth and talent at this position, but I don't know if teams ever want to pass on a position of such importance.

I see us taking 1 guard and 3 tackles on the o-line, maybe a center if they can pluck Clay Webb out of Alabama. With the guard depth, UGA can be picky if they'd like and skip a year (albeit not ideal) if they have to.

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@shhmitty said:

@pgjackson said:

I think Cade Mays becoming available is the reason that Georgia did not take Daniel Faalele.

Probably so, UGA didn't seem to have a ton of OTs that were interested.

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 14

We did have a stellar 2017 and 2018 haul with Wilson, Thomas and Mays, I expect 2-3 OTs in 2019, and I'm sure with Kirby, PittBoss and Chaney on it, they will be high ability guys.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Minnesota is on the up and up also. They have good contacts with IMG and Florida and a good GA recruiter. They signed some high potential guys.

I see UGA getting two interior linemen and two tackles this season. Im not sure which place Griffin is projected at.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,502 admin

Invite him to the team summer prospect camp. That seems like the easy way for him to earn an offer. That's the way that any staff can check a prospect's oil.

So to speak.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 14

@JeffSentell said:
    Also: I feel Daniel Faalele had a spot in #RareBreed18 right up until the point Cade Mays wanted to be in it.

If you travel like I do, then that's like the rental car company offering up a 2-car class upgrade.

2-star upgrade here.

I agree Jeff, but I still wounder about Faalele's upside over Owen Condon.

Looks like he just picked up an offer from Arky. If anyone knows anyone in the recruiting world, this kid might deserve a look...and I know he and his family are big Bulldog fans.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/arkansas/joseph-stone-new-favorite-after-visit/

@pgjackson said:
    Looks like he just picked up an offer from Arky. If anyone knows anyone in the recruiting world, this kid might deserve a look...and I know he and his family are big Bulldog fans.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/arkansas/joseph-stone-new-favorite-after-visit/

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is already aware of this kid, and are just watching his progress to see if they think he'll be a good fit. Kind of like Sentell's article a day or two ago about how late most of our 2018 class got their offers from UGA.

Looks like he’s a 3-star now. I’m guessing he will be a 4-star by the end of next season.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/joseph-stone-200033

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Has anyone heard anything about Kaelin Deloach, the four star who just got invited to the opening finals?, why haven't the Dawgs offered this kid?

In State, offers from every big school, seems like we missed the bus on this one.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kalen-DeLoach-46048742

@judasdurant said:
    Has anyone heard anything about Kaelin Deloach, the four star who just got invited to the opening finals?, why haven't the Dawgs offered this kid?

In State, offers from every big school, seems like we missed the bus on this one.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kalen-DeLoach-46048742

Based on his size he’d probably have to move to inside linebacker. And we have Bertand already, hopefully Pappoe, and several others ranked ahead of him I assume.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's hardly any film on this Stone kid, that's pretty concerning especially if he's a 2019

@Acrum21 said:
    There's hardly any film on this Stone kid, that's pretty concerning especially if he's a 2019

I think he’s a classic late bloomer. Wasn’t even rated till just recently. Had 3 SEC offers as a 0-star recruit. I think 2018 will be a breakout season for him.

At least Lane Kiffin wants him for the FAU.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JeffSentell said:

Hate to hear that...but if he gets on Kirby and Pitt Boss's radar I would bet we have a shot.