Which team has the best chance of making the CFP - Georgia, Miami, or Penn St.?

coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia, Miami, and Penn St. are all teams that seem on the rise based on their play last year and their recruiting. Each also play in tough conferences that have been controlled recently by teams that have been playoff regulars - Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St. Which of these three do you feel has the best chance to make the CFP next year? Which has the least chance?

Comments

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most Likely: Georgia
    2nd: Penn State
    3rd: Miami

Miami will probably contend for their division again, but it's highly doubtful anyone gets past Clemson in the ACC this year.

Penn State will be a good team in 2018, but they're schedule is pretty tough. Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and @ Michigan. Plus a potential rematch with Wisconsin in their title game.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

Predictions
    Georgia-11-1 (Dropping one to either LSU or Auburn)
    Miami- 9-3
    Penn St-10-2

None of the 3 have a particularly hard schedule. I'd say Georgia has the best team returning, but that is just based on what UGA did last year and a deeper knowledge of UGA. Might be my blinders, but I only see Bama standing in UGAs way to making it back to the CFP.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

But to elaborate further, I think UGA has the best chance followed by PSU then Miami. All 3 could make it, but I don't see either of the latter two making it there.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When I think about other teams ...I automatically think about who they lost. I know PSU lost Barkley.

But I know they also think we will be weak due to all our losses.......

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:
    Predictions
    Georgia-11-1 (Dropping one to either LSU or Auburn)
    Miami- 9-3
    Penn St-10-2

None of the 3 have a particularly hard schedule. I'd say Georgia has the best team returning, but that is just based on what UGA did last year and a deeper knowledge of UGA. Might be my blinders, but I only see Bama standing in UGAs way to making it back to the CFP.

If anything, Georgia drops to LSU. Auburn is only good at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

• bobbybobby Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

If the East is as weak as it was last year, I don't think the Dawgs have much room for error in their schedule if they want to make the CFP. One slip up, and with the out of conf being a total embarrassment, Georgia could be on the outside looking in. With all of that said...I think Georgia has the best chance out of the three teams listed.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bobby said:
    If the East is as weak as it was last year, I don't think the Dawgs have much room for error in their schedule if they want to make the CFP. One slip up, and with the out of conf being a total embarrassment, Georgia could be on the outside looking in. With all of that said...I think Georgia has the best chance out of the three teams listed.

This is true, but I think it's only relevant if we're trying to get in as an 11-2 conference champ vs one or two other 2-loss conference champs. A 12-1 or 13-0 SEC Champ is in, regardless of how weak our regular season schedule is.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AgDawg said:

@bobby said:

This is true, but I think it's only relevant if we're trying to get in as an 11-2 conference champ vs one or two other 2-loss conference champs. A 12-1 or 13-0 SEC Champ is in, regardless of how weak our regular season schedule is.

Exactly. UGA can afford one slip up, so long as they win the SEC. Unless there's an unprecedented number of undefeated teams heading into the playoffs.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 387 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bobby said:

Every year someone complains about a weak out-of-conference schedule. I have stated before that it's a grueling schedule, especially for SEC schools and power 5 in general. Plus, for teams like Ausin Peay, it has to be a thrill to go up against one of the bad a$$ power 5 teams like Georgia. Also, these FCS teams reap a financial bonanza when they play a team like Georgia. It helps them to balance their athletic budgets and continue a football program for tier two players who might not otherwise be able to play the game they love if the program didn't exist.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:

@bobby said:

Every year someone complains about a weak out-of-conference schedule. I have stated before that it's a grueling schedule, especially for SEC schools and power 5 in general. Plus, for teams like Ausin Peay, it has to be a thrill to go up against one of the bad a$$ power 5 teams like Georgia. Also, these FCS teams reap a financial bonanza when they play a team like Georgia. It helps them to balance their athletic budgets and continue a football program for tier two players who might not otherwise be able to play the game they love if the program didn't exist.

I agree. However, the complainers are fans - and fans would prefer to see a competitive game - a 50 point victory over a cupcake team is not all that satisfying although it does give the backups a chance to get some valuable in game experience.
    I understand the complaints.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bobby said:

Not sure it is physically possible for the East to be weaker or as week as last season. Florida with a losing record and Tennessee not winning a single SEC game? Might never see that exact combination again in our lifetimes.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't matter how weak our schedule is, if we reach the SEC championship game and beat 'bama we'll be in the playoff. I think Penn. St. probably has a better chance, they play all their tough games at home, except for Michigan. If they can beat Ohio St. at home, they should win their division and would then only have to beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game to win the Big 10. Don't think Miami can beat Clemson to win the ACC, think they have the least chance of making the playoffs.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m going Georgia, Miami, then Penn State. Penn state will have one of the stiffest schedule and it’s has Osu and MSU back to back with bye week in the middle. Follow that up with Iowa,@michigan, and Wis. That will be a stiff stretch. Mia gets LSU early in the year and then Florida state later on. Little easier stretch to navigate compared to Penn State. Lastly the UGA schedule is about the same as Mia in strength wise, and having two common opponents. UGA just has ALOT more talent the Richt currently has. The last part is just my personal opinion, but I truely believe the CFP committee look a little at how much revenue each team could bring in when picking from a few teams for the final spot. Dawgnation showed out last year everywhere we went, and I believe that would help us in picking that final spot if we weren’t able to go 11-1 or 12-0 and win the SEC.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 16

It's too hard to qualify. If Miami had a QB it would be dangerous.
    I think even the national media is underestimating the value of the players we lost from the 2017 season.
    I still think this could be a transition season. 11-3 is my guess.

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Them dawgs

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MarkBoknecht said:

@bobby said:

Every year someone complains about a weak out-of-conference schedule. I have stated before that it's a grueling schedule, especially for SEC schools and power 5 in general. Plus, for teams like Ausin Peay, it has to be a thrill to go up against one of the bad a$$ power 5 teams like Georgia. Also, these FCS teams reap a financial bonanza when they play a team like Georgia. It helps them to balance their athletic budgets and continue a football program for tier two players who might not otherwise be able to play the game they love if the program

Id be pissed if i donated and payed all that money for season tickets and half the games be cupcakes...

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

1) DaWGs, offense is gonna be near unstoppable best year, defense steps up just a little and I don't think we lose a game next year

2) UM gotta get past Clemson, so gonna be tough

3) And PSU looks to have a fairly tough schedule

Honestly only UGA makes it to the playoffs out of those three, imo

• KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

The tough thing for our Dawgs is that, to make the playoffs in any given year, they most years will have to either 1) beat Bama in the SEC Championship Game or 2) go undefeated in the regular season.

A two loss team who doesn't win their conference is very rarely going to make it in. The only alternatives to the above are beating someone else in the conference championship game or making it in Bama 2018 style, as a one-loss team who didn't win their division.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@coastaldawg said:
    Doesn't matter how weak our schedule is, if we reach the SEC championship game and beat 'bama we'll be in the playoff. I think Penn. St. probably has a better chance, they play all their tough games at home, except for Michigan. If they can beat Ohio St. at home, they should win their division and would then only have to beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game to win the Big 10. Don't think Miami can beat Clemson to win the ACC, think they have the least chance of making the playoffs.

Yup

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ Junior

I haven't paid attention to who's returning for Miami and Penn State coming into 2018 but I can't say. Given all the losses the 2018 Georgia team is going to have and all the seniors (and juniors who declared) we will miss, it's going to be a lot harder for Georgia to make it back to the playoff, and I don't think it's happening. I can see a New Years 6 Bowl at best that's non-playoff though.

@KingKirby said:
    The tough thing for our Dawgs is that, to make the playoffs in any given year, they most years will have to either 1) beat Bama in the SEC Championship Game or 2) go undefeated in the regular season.

A two loss team who doesn't win their conference is very rarely going to make it in. The only alternatives to the above are beating someone else in the conference championship game or making it in Bama 2018 style, as a one-loss team who didn't win their division.

Yeah, there's a reason since 1980 every Georgia team who's won the SEC title started 7-0 or better. Any Georgia team who started 6-1 or worse in that stretch did not win the SEC title. So the 2018 games against South Carolina in Columbia and LSU in Death Valley will be critical.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ Junior

@coastaldawg said:

In college football, the "weak" schedule or "tough" schedule thing doesn't matter as much as the NFL to me. Yes, for BCS standings in the past and the college football playoff it matters, but in the NFL it matters more because when the playoff comes you're going to automatically see who your team is. With college football it's about politics and stronger conferences I don't care who's on your schedule. In college football historically, teams who win championships have a quality season opener in week 1 (usually on the road or on neutral site). Or sometimes a week 2 game on the road against an out of conference opponent, like Georgia winning at Notre Dame last season or Oklahoma winning at Ohio State. Clemson beat Auburn at home in week 2. Alabama beat Florida State on neutral site in week 1. Georgia doesn't have that high quality, early out of conference game on our schedule next season or the season after. The next time we have that will be the 2020 season opener against Virginia on Monday Night.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mqg96 said:

Georgia doesn't have that high quality, early out of conference game on our schedule next season or the season after. The next time we have that will be the 2020 season opener against Virginia on Monday Night.

Don’t we play Notre Dame again in 2019?

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 319 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mqg96 said:
    I haven't paid attention to who's returning for Miami and Penn State coming into 2018 but I can't say. Given all the losses the 2018 Georgia team is going to have and all the seniors (and juniors who declared) we will miss, it's going to be a lot harder for Georgia to make it back to the playoff, and I don't think it's happening. I can see a New Years 6 Bowl at best that's non-playoff though.

Why are so many people doubting this year's team because we lost some starters. I did not feel great about last year's team going into the season and look what happened. Most teams have to replace seniors and early departing juniors every year. As much as I will miss Roquan I am confident that Kirby and the staff will have the next man up prepared. What had Roquan really showed us prior to last season? Alot of the backups received significant playing time last year and will have spring and fall camp to get ready. Fromm will be better, the O-line should be better, the backfield will be great, and the WR's will be improved. With that said, even if the defense takes a small step back or takes a few games to get going, the O will more than carry the team. Of course the LSU game will be tricky and if we play Bama in the SECCG there's obviously a chance to lose that one. Otherwise we have a great shot to make it back to the CFP.

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Bulldawgs will have the best chance of getting in CFB playoffs but I too feel that we must win the SEC Championship!

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tymoon31 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@bobby said:

Every year someone complains about a weak out-of-conference schedule. I have stated before that it's a grueling schedule, especially for SEC schools and power 5 in general. Plus, for teams like Ausin Peay, it has to be a thrill to go up against one of the bad a$$ power 5 teams like Georgia. Also, these FCS teams reap a financial bonanza when they play a team like Georgia. It helps them to balance their athletic budgets and continue a football program for tier two players who might not otherwise be able to play the game they love if the program

Id be pissed if i donated and payed all that money for season tickets and half the games be cupcakes...

Eh. I like to win more

@ugadawgs07 said:

@mqg96 said:

Georgia doesn't have that high quality, early out of conference game on our schedule next season or the season after. The next time we have that will be the 2020 season opener against Virginia on Monday Night.

Don’t we play Notre Dame again in 2019?

Yes we do

And UCKA in 20 & 21

UCLA

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA and UCLA play in 2025/26

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugadawgs07 said:
    I’m going Georgia, Miami, then Penn State. Penn state will have one of the stiffest schedule and it’s has Osu and MSU back to back with bye week in the middle. Follow that up with Iowa,@michigan, and Wis. That will be a stiff stretch. Mia gets LSU early in the year and then Florida state later on. Little easier stretch to navigate compared to Penn State. Lastly the UGA schedule is about the same as Mia in strength wise, and having two common opponents. UGA just has ALOT more talent the Richt currently has. The last part is just my personal opinion, but I truely believe the CFP committee look a little at how much revenue each team could bring in when picking from a few teams for the final spot. Dawgnation showed out last year everywhere we went, and I believe that would help us in picking that final spot if we weren’t able to go 11-1 or 12-0 and win the SEC.

I don't believe the committee considers the drawing power of teams. Maybe I'm naïve but I don't see any evidence to suggest they are.

@DawgNut said:

@mqg96 said:

Why are so many people doubting this year's team because we lost some starters. I did not feel great about last year's team going into the season and look what happened. Most teams have to replace seniors and early departing juniors every year. As much as I will miss Roquan I am confident that Kirby and the staff will have the next man up prepared. What had Roquan really showed us prior to last season? Alot of the backups received significant playing time last year and will have spring and fall camp to get ready. Fromm will be better, the O-line should be better, the backfield will be great, and the WR's will be improved. With that said, even if the defense takes a small step back or takes a few games to get going, the O will more than carry the team. Of course the LSU game will be tricky and if we play Bama in the SECCG there's obviously a chance to lose that one. Otherwise we have a great shot to make it back to the CFP.

It's just the opposite of so many people doubting the team from what I've heard and read.
    What I'm seeing is what appears to be group think where most have concluded we're a top 3 team. It started out as maybe top 10 when the season ended and for no material reason the consensus has gotten more and more positive.
    The fact is we don't have anywhere close to as much senior leadership coming back as we did last year. We may be able to make up for those losses close to 100%, but it's far from a sure thing.

My guess is 11-3 with 2 losses between the UF, SC, LSU and Auburn games, a loss in the SECCG and a bowl win.
    If we surpass that, great, if not I won't be too disappointed and 2019 will still set up great for us.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Miami is going to be like UGA in years past. A solid 9 or 10 win team that will win their side of the division a few times, will go to the ACC title game and occasionally win it, will recruit well, but will lose the ACC title game more often than not, as long as Clemson is in power. They won't win a title, and will have at least one head-scratching, WTH loss along the way.