How much longer will Georgia play florida in Jacksonville?

cfc136cfc136 Posts: 44 ✭ Freshman
edited March 4 in Football

I know everyone one out there in internet land wants this game to stay in Florida but is it really that important?We play the gators every year in there home state and I for one would like to play them here in Athens .They blew us away in 95 and that was here.I think we need to go home and home with them and create another chapter to this great game....

Comments

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    The game has been played in Jacksonville since 1933, except for 94 and 95 when the Gator Bowl went under renovations. The contract is through 2021, but I doubt if will move out of Jacksonville after that.

  • DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA.

  • josh31533josh31533 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA

    This ^. I would think Atlanta would want a piece of that revenue pie Jacksonville has enjoyed for so long.

  • BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 387 ✭✭✭ Junior

    It will be in Jacksonville unless Atlanta ponies up more money than Jax is willing to spend.....

  • bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @josh31533 said:

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA

    This ^. I would think Atlanta would want a piece of that revenue pie Jacksonville has enjoyed for so long.

    100% agree... but wouldn’t that concede that it was not a neutral site game all these years?

  • insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    I agree it’s not “neutral” and hate that advantage for the Gators. However, according to Chip and Seth the money people (big donors, boosters, and TV) like Jacksonville. (By TV, I mean that according to Chip on the podcast, GA/FL is one of the few neutral site conference games that happens every year and has a guaranteed tv spot regardless of the rankings of the teams. OU/TX is the other.) Seems like no matter how much I hate it, I do not have the money to influence that decision to go home and home or rotate with ATL!!

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Keep it in Jax, it's a great tradition and gets me to the beach in fall every couple of years.
    We lost all of those games because we were out-coached and foolishly let UF schedule byes while we didn't.

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:
    Keep it in Jax, it's a great tradition and gets me to the beach in fall every couple of years.
    We lost all of those games because we were out-coached and foolishly let UF schedule byes while we didn't.

    It was just for a period that we lost "multiple" games to Florida. People tend to forget that we owned them in the 70's and 80's there. We still lead the series 51-43-2. Most I'm sure, were won in JAX. Except for the travel factor, I don't see a "home field advantage" in this series when played in JAX.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    Mercedes Benz is spectacular, you would think the lizards would like this idea also because they likely won't be heading there any time soon representing the SEC East, lol

    Jax isn’t willing to give up the revenue. It’s a cool game to visit, but I wouldn’t mind a home game vs that school. Also wouldn’t mind attending a game at school because I have never been.

  • donmdonm Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JRT812 said:

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    Mercedes Benz is spectacular, you would think the lizards would like this idea also because they likely won't be heading there any time soon representing the SEC East, lol

    Jax isn’t willing to give up the revenue. It’s a cool game to visit, but I wouldn’t mind a home game vs that school. Also wouldn’t mind attending a game at school because I have never been.

    I have and it’s quite underwhelming.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:

    @JRT812 said:

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    Mercedes Benz is spectacular, you would think the lizards would like this idea also because they likely won't be heading there any time soon representing the SEC East, lol

    Jax isn’t willing to give up the revenue. It’s a cool game to visit, but I wouldn’t mind a home game vs that school. Also wouldn’t mind attending a game at school because I have never been.

    I have and it’s quite underwhelming.

    I can see that being true as of late. I would think it’s hopping when they are worth something

  • andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Jacksonville benefits from approx. 75,000,000. in revenues from the Ga/Fl game. I realize the amt would not be the same in Athens but think what the financial windfall would mean to the Classic City. I would like to hear an informed opinion on that matter.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @andrews1253 said:
    Jacksonville benefits from approx. 75,000,000. in revenues from the Ga/Fl game. I realize the amt would not be the same in Athens but think what the financial windfall would mean to the Classic City. I would like to hear an informed opinion on that matter.

    As a fan the money means next to nothing to me. I pay, I don't get paid.
    Also as a fan, I enjoy the rivalry and experience the way it is.

  • DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophomore

    In the words of Sandlot... "For-E-Ver"

  • josh31533josh31533 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 5

    @bmauldin said:

    @josh31533 said:

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA

    This ^. I would think Atlanta would want a piece of that revenue pie Jacksonville has enjoyed for so long.

    100% agree... but wouldn’t that concede that it was not a neutral site game all these years?

    Probably, but in my mind Atlanta is just as neutral as Jacksonville. Let the Florida players have to deal with extra travel every other year, as opposed to a two hour bus ride (if they do ride the bus for two hours, they could fly from Gainesville to Jacksonville for all I know)

  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA.

    I don't think that will happen unless Atlanta ponies up a lot more money than Jax does.

  • DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @UnderDog68 said:

    @DaWGfan01 said:
    I would like to see it alternate between Jacksonville and Atlanta, but still a 50/50 split as far as tickets go, that would be fair, imo, Jacksonville is closer to the lizards and Atlanta is obviously closer to UGA.

    I don't think that will happen unless Atlanta ponies up a lot more money than Jax does.

    I would imagine $ is not an issue for the ATL and Mercedes Benz Stadium, if both schools agree to alternate between ATL and Jacksonville then it would happen whenever the next contact it's due.

  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate


    We'll have been buried for a thousand years.

  • mleemlee Posts: 490 ✭✭✭ Junior

    It would be cool to have it switch between Atl and Jax. I’m sure UGA gets gets paid well for that game or the wouldn’t keep doing it.. Plus you never have to worry about a total FL home field advantage.. Dawgnation travels well and I’m sure we fill up half of that stadium every year.

  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Bear in mind that the UGA fans travel for the week and a lot stay at the beaches. Can't see ATL having the same attraction for UF fans. A bar on Peachtree St is not going to have the same feel as the Landing either even for those that stay downtown. I think switching the site would definitely lose some of the aura around the game. Even the "name" would have to change.

  • cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Unless you live down here, you are probably don't realize how many UGA fans there are around Jville. Other than distance this game is by no means a home game for UF

  • SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Jax pays in the neighborhood of $8 million per school for the game. That's far more than UGA makes for a game at Sanford. No way this game gets moved anytime soon, unless (and this is a big caveat) Shad Kahn, the Jags owner, somehow buys the stadium from the city. It's known he's not a fan of the WLOCP, but he's just a stadium tenant and doesn't make the rules.

Sign In or Register to comment.