Am I crazy to think Justin Fields can beat Fromm for the starting job?

cd1044cd1044 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes I understand fromm led us there as a freshmen and not taking anything away from that but man fields is flat out special. In terms of ceiling, when I see fromm I think he can be aaron murray, which is a good colllege qb, but with fields, I see cam newton with more accuracy or Deshaun Watson with a bigger arm. This kid just seems to special to red shirt and not to mention Based on their tape it seems like fields has more arm talent than fromm as well and def more mobile. He's the type of qb that gives saban headaches

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:
    Yes I understand fromm led us there as a freshmen and not taking anything away from that but man fields is flat out special. In terms of ceiling, when I see fromm I think he can be aaron murray, which is a good colllege qb, but with fields, I see cam newton with more accuracy or Deshaun Watson with a bigger arm. This kid just seems to special to red shirt and not to mention Based on their tape it seems like fields has more arm talent than fromm as well and def more mobile. He's the type of qb that gives saban headaches

In answer to your question, you just might be.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Much like Tua had to wait until Jalen wasn’t able to get it done on-field, I bet Justin has to wait until Jake possibly hits the same spot.

I don’t know exactly how Justin compares to Tua, but I’m assuming they’re comparable give and take some details. Jake on the other hand is a much better QB than Jalen was. So I would assume Justin will have a harder time getting into the starting slot than Tua did. And Tua had to wait until the 3rd quarter of the last game of the season before he got a shot at non-garbage time.

• cd1044cd1044 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:
    Much like Tua had to wait until Jalen wasn’t able to get it done on-field, I bet Justin has to wait until Jake possibly hits the same spot.

I don’t know exactly how Justin compares to Tua, but I’m assuming they’re comparable give and take some details. Jake on the other hand is a much better QB than Jalen was. So I would assume Justin will have a harder time getting into the starting slot than Tua did. And Tua had to wait until the 3rd quarter of the last game of the season before he got a shot at non-garbage time.

Yea Tru most likely unless Fromm falls down to earth we won’t brnch him but smart has been saying it’ll be an equal-equal chance and if fields looks more talented and better it’ll be interesting to see what Kirby does

@strange_noah said:
    I love what Fields brings to the table but I see Fromm starting the rest of his time at UGA barring injury. If he continues to develop I see his ceiling as higher than Murray’s. Fromm just has that it factor in my eyes and he has the work ethic and football IQ to go with it. The way he has learned the playbook in one year honestly and been able to make adjustments at the line just tells me he’s going to have that big time sophomore season jump.

True Fromm’s grasp on the playbook is impressive and maybe I’m selling him short saying his ceiling is Murray because he has a bigger arm for sure but fields has rare physical talent

• hall1138hall1138 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, your crazy!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only if we lose to USC, UT, and LSU. Fromm had nothing to lose when he got to Athens and was able to just let it rip. He obviously has a great deal of confidence, but it appears his memory and ability to learn was the difference maker, according to every coach who was interviewed. That allowed Fromm to win the confidence of the team at the line of scrimmage and in the huddle. This is truly Fromm’s team. It will take a disaster for the coaches to take the team away from him.

@Bankwalker said:
    Only if we lose to USC, UT, and LSU. Fromm had nothing to lose when he got to Athens and was able to just let it rip. He obviously has a great deal of confidence, but it appears his memory and ability to learn was the difference maker, according to every coach who was interviewed. That allowed Fromm to win the confidence of the team at the line of scrimmage and in the huddle. This is truly Fromm’s team. It will take a disaster for the coaches to take the team away from him.

But what if fields looks better than him in practice? You have to do what’s best for the team no matter what Fromm did last year

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

Yes, you are

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 9

@levander said:

@strange_noah said:
    I love what Fields brings to the table but I see Fromm starting the rest of his time at UGA barring injury. If he continues to develop I see his ceiling as higher than Murray’s. Fromm just has that it factor in my eyes and he has the work ethic and football IQ to go with it. The way he has learned the playbook in one year honestly and been able to make adjustments at the line just tells me he’s going to have that big time sophomore season jump.

Aaron Murray owns most SEC passing records.
    It's an insult to AM to say any QB Has a higher ceiling.
    If we'd had a championship defense during his tenure he'd and won a title or 2.

That said, Fromm does have a natural leadership ability and a calmer manner than Murray.
    As far as whether Fields can win the starting job..maybe. Best case scenario Fromm starts and Fields adds great value off the bench, much as Tim-TeeBob did for UF as a freshman.
    If we take the starting position away from a second straight 5 star QB opposing coaches would use it against us in recruiting, good luck landing another elite QB.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@Bankwalker said:

But what if fields looks better than him in practice? You have to do what’s best for the team no matter what Fromm did last year

If you’re interested, Google for Jim Chaney’s Rose Bowl press conference. Following Saban’s lead, Kirby almost never lets his coaches talk to the media. That way the team is speaking with one voice, the coaches. But it’s a tradition at the Rose Bowl for OC’s and DC’s to be available to the media, so Chaney did a press conference there.

In Chaney’s press conference, he said the reason they never considered going back to Eason was the team was just playing so well, so you don’t make a big change like at QB.

The reason Eason never got a chance to win the spot back had nothing to do with how Eason practiced vs Fromm’s practice. It was simply you don’t change the quarterback on a winning team unless you have no other option.

There’s a lot of truth to Kirby’s “it depends on practice”. But if he’s got something he doesn’t want to make public, it’s one of those lines Kirby always falls back on.

And I don’t really blame Kirby for having a few fall back lines. He’s making a lot of important decisions. And you don’t always want all that decision making process public. So he just goes back to his fallback lines.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 9

@cd1044 said:

@strange_noah said:

True Fromm’s grasp on the playbook is impressive and maybe I’m selling him short saying his ceiling is Murray because he has a bigger arm for sure but fields has rare physical talent

Fromm throws a good deep ball, but Murray had excellent velocity, timing and accuracy on medium throws.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wont be surprised if Stetson Bennett gets more G-Day playng time than Fields.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm is a leader and that's something that cannot be overlooked. There is no way that Fields is redshirted, but I don't think that he takes over the position, baring injury. The competition should be good for the team though.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 214 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, your crazy. Fields brings a different element to the game, and most likely will have packages for him to play especially in the red zone. He will never be the starter this year unless Fromm is injuried.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@Bankwalker said:

There is nothing that can happen in practice that will cause Fromm to lose his starting position (unless Fromm has a total meltdown). For all we know Fields is the next Jeremy Johnson. Remember when that guy started at Auburn and was already a Heisman candidate before the season began? He was supposed to be the next Newton. How did that turn out? Fields was a great HS QB. Is he a great college QB? That remains to be seen. Will he take Fromm's starting position? No. Fromm wasn't just a "game manager". The dude killed it. #8 in the nation in passer rating. Nearly a 3.4/1 TD/INT ratio, #6 in the nation in yards per attempt. So, if Fields is going to beat him out he will have to pretty much be the top QB in the nation.

There is nothing that can happen in practice that will cause Fromm to lose his starting position (unless Fromm has a total meltdown). For all we know Fields is the next Jeremy Johnson. Remember when that guy started at Auburn and was already a Heisman candidate before the season began? He was supposed to be the next Newton. How did that turn out? Fields was a great HS QB. Is he a great college QB? That remains to be seen. Will he take Fromm's starting position? No. Fromm wasn't just a "game manager". The dude killed it. #8 in the nation in passer rating. Nearly a 3.4/1 TD/INT ratio, #6 in the nation in yards per attempt. So, if Fields is going to beat him out he will have to pretty much be the top QB in the nation.

I like Fromm but a lot of my fellow ga fans overrated him a little like some of my friends who are gs fans are comparing him to tom Brady lol. Fromm is solid but I’m afraid he will be just Aaron Murray, who’s a good college qb, but not talented enough to get us over the hump against bama

As far as whether Fields can win the starting job..maybe. Best case scenario Fromm starts and Fields adds great value off the bench, much as Tim-TeeBob did for UF as a freshman.
    If we take the starting position away from a second straight 5 star QB opposing coaches would use it against us in recruiting, good luck landing another elite QB.

Tru but man fields will be hard to keep off the field and looking at history pocket qbs haven’t beaten Saban in big games it’s akways dual threats like Watson, cam and even a lesser degree J.T. Barrett. Fields has the potential to be better then all those guys

I don’t get why y’all are acting like a 5 star number 2 overall recruit has no chance of winning the job when Kirby smart has repeated said this will be a equal competition and will take the guy that has a better chance of leading ga to wins

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yup crazy for thinking that and crazy for having this discussion again. Football can’t get here soon enough.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here's what Kirby is looking at this season:

To me without a doubt the closest comparison for Fromm is Drew Brees. They look like the same player. Give Fromm the edge in size and Brees a slight edge in arm strength.

Fields is harder to find a match for. Most agree we have never seen on a single player with his skill set. To me as a passer maybe Deshaun Watson. As a runner, he is a faster and more elusive Cam Newton and a stronger Lamar Jackson.

I dare you to watch Stetson Bennett and tell me he doesn't remind you of Fran Tarkenton in his heyday. It's almost scary. Similar arm strength, similar scrambling ability. Both 6ft. tall but Fran was just a little bigger (about 20 lbs.). Bennett could probably start for at least 4 SEC teams this fall.

Good luck with all this, Kirby

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

Tru but man fields will be hard to keep off the field and looking at history pocket qbs haven’t beaten Saban in big games it’s akways dual threats like Watson, cam and even a lesser degree J.T. Barrett. Fields has the potential to be better then all those guys

The "Saban doesn't lose to pocket QBs" is a myth. He doesn't lose that often in general, but he's just as likely to lose to a pocket QB as he is a dual threat (list of pocket QBs beating him below). A couple of Auburn games, one Clemson game, and one OSU game basically started this agenda the media wanted to push. All those teams had the best of the best dual threats basically. So yeah, you're probably going to lose a few of those from time-to-time.

Please note: he's lost 20 times TOTAL at Bama in 11 seasons.
    Pocket QBs that beat him:
    2007 LSU
    2007 UGA
    2007 Auburn
    2008 Utah
    2010 USCe
    2010 LSU
    2011 LSU
    2013 Oklahoma
    2014 Ole Miss
    2015 Ole Miss
    2017 Auburn

@Red_N_Black said:
    Here's what Kirby is looking at this season:

To me without a doubt the closest comparison for Fromm is Drew Brees. They look like the same player. Give Fromm the edge in size and Brees a slight edge in arm strength.

Fields is harder to find a match for. Most agree we have never seen on a single player with his skill set. To me as a passer maybe Deshaun Watson. As a runner, he is a faster and more elusive Cam Newton and a stronger Lamar Jackson.

I dare you to watch Stetson Bennett and tell me he doesn't remind you of Fran Tarkenton in his heyday. It's almost scary. Similar arm strength, similar scrambling ability. Both 6ft. tall but Fran was just a little bigger (about 20 lbs.). Bennett could probably start for at least 4 SEC teams this fall.

Good luck with all this, Kirby

Seriously? This kid hasn't played one down in college and he's already a combination of Watson/Newton/Jackson?

@cd1044 said:

I like Fromm but a lot of my fellow ga fans overrated him a little like some of my friends who are gs fans are comparing him to tom Brady lol. Fromm is solid but I’m afraid he will be just Aaron Murray, who’s a good college qb, but not talented enough to get us over the hump against bama

Did you actually watch AM play? That guy was a college stud, who if not for some absolutely horrendous defenses, would have won at least 1 NC and possibly a Heisman in 2012 (Manziel won that year).

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I'm to understand most of what I've read about Fields' football aptitude on the interwebz correctly, Fields will take the starting job after his first practice and put up video game numbers before eventually winning the Heisman this year. No pressure young man. Just don't disappoint us.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 9

@cd1044 said:
    Fromm is solid but I’m afraid he will be just Aaron Murray, who’s a good college qb, but not talented enough to get us over the hump against bama

Eddie Lacy averaged 9.1 ypc, TJ Yeldon averaged 6.1 ypc. Bama rushed for 350 yards and put 32 points on the board. The accusation that Murray couldn't get UGA over the hump of having a poor run defense is misplaced.
    The notion that one position position player (QB) will get over the hump against Bama if he's good enough is wrong, too.

Bama had far more talent and depth than UGA in the 2012 SECCG. Can you imagine if Bama lost ten five star recruits the day before the game? Or, better, if UGA could have traded ten three star bench warmers for ten five star recruits in February 2012?

Recruiting. That's the main hump.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

He got us over the hump vs Alabama but the defense let us down. Not Fromm's fault - at all.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A little perspective. Alabama had two very good QB's in 2017 Jalen Hurts who took Alabama to the National Championship Game in both 2017 and 2018 and a hot young freshman Tua Tagovailoa who was clearly a much better passer. Tua Tagovailoa only took over during the second half of the National Championship Game when Alabama was losing badly.
    Fromm took Georgia o the National Championship Game in 2018. While not the runner Hurts is Fromm is a much better passer. It is not yet clear to me that Fields is a much better college QB any more than it is clear that he was a much better HS QB. Baring injury or a Fromm turning into a much worse QB in his sophomore year than he was in his freshman year, Fields has a very very small chance to replace him. Fields best shot would be a total collapse of Georgia's running game something i do not see happening. I in fact think it will be much better because I think the O-line will be much better and this is even without any of the Freshmen starting. A O-line of Andrew Thomas, Kendall Baker/Justin Shaffer/Solomon Kindley, Lamont Gaillard, Ben Cleveland, Isaiah Wilson is going to be elite.