Is Gwinnett County Georgia the Center of College Football Recruiting?

MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 239 ✭✭✭ Junior

As a resident of Gwinnett County, I feel I've overlooked the enormous amount of talent that resides in my home county of Gwinnett. In a state that produces the third or fourth highest amount of football recruits nationally, depending on the measure, the numbers surely favor Gwinnett with approximately 1 million residents. But Georgia has elite talents throughout, with the likes of Clinch, Lowndes, and Crisp counties strong representatives of the state, just to name a few.
Jeff Sentell has a great article about three recent offers -- all DB's and all from the same HS, North Gwinnett. And as further evidence of just how much talent emerges from Gwinnett, consider that 19 of the top 50 prospects in the state for 2019 reside in Gwinnett. And of those 19, 11 are ranked in the top 300 nationally, the Grayson controversy aside.

Comments

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

High school football in Georgia has seen a dramatic shift of power in the last 20 years or so. Once the most powerful teams were in areas like Valdosta, Warner Robbins, Columbus, and even smaller places scattered around mid and southern Georgia. I'm not sure when it started, but once the Atlanta area schools starting getting bigger and putting more emphasis and money into their football programs, they shifted the balance of power in the state. It would be interesting to see how the number of top recruits in the Atlanta area compared to the rest of the state has changed over the years. If we can continue to recruit the Atlanta area we have the last couple of years, we should be challengers for the national championship every year.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am a Norcross High school Alum. Gwinnett County has a lot of Football and Basketball talent. How about this past Saturday night the State Championship basketball game was from two teams from not only Gwinnett County but from the City of Norcross. Norcross High took on Meadowcreek, also from Norcross. You also have GAC and Wesleyan private schools in the City of Norcross. Gwinnett County is a power house.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 373 ✭✭✭ Junior

The shift started when they went to AAAAAA as the highest classification and is now continuing with AAAAAAA as the highest.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 416 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 12

Helps that it is the largest landmass county in the state. Kind of skews the perception.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 239 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:
    Helps that it is the largest landmass county in the state. Kind of skews the perception.

Actually, Ware county by way of Waycross/Okefenoke Swamp is first out of 159 counties. Gwinnett is 50th. Fulton is 21st and the largest in the Atlanta area. Clarke a.k.a. Athens is the smallest.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 416 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Bankwalker said:

Actually, Ware county by way of Waycross/Okefenoke Swamp is first out of 159 counties. Gwinnett is 50th. Fulton is 21st and the largest in the Atlanta area. Clarke a.k.a. Athens is the smallest.

Ahhh. Someone make a note. Mistake on my part. LOL. Test me on this one - Gwinnett has the largest school system in the State. Most students, maybe?

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 239 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Bankwalker said:

Ahhh. Someone make a note. Mistake on my part. LOL. Test me on this one - Gwinnett has the largest school system in the State. Most students, maybe?

Yeah. Probably right. And I think you meant to say that Gwinnett is the largest population mass skewing the results. Don't know which is larger between Fulton and Gwinnett. But I suspect they are 1 and 2.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you go back just 10 or so years Gwinnett was near the bottom in Georgia at producing D1 players.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    If you go back just 10 or so years Gwinnett was near the bottom in Georgia at producing D1 players.

I don't know about overall numbers but it wasn't lacking star power. David Pollack, David Greene, Des Williams, Brad Lester, Stinchcomb brothers, Rennie Curran, Jared Cook, etc.....

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It works like a cycle. Areas go through periods where they become hotbeds and produce many stud athletes. Then other times the crop isn’t as strong as it has been. It will cycle through and a new area of the state will pop up as a hot bed in the near future. Typically it will be an area that we see growth in the amount of people moving into at

• levanderlevander Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:
    The shift started when they went to AAAAAA as the highest classification and is now continuing with AAAAAAA as the highest.

Somebody needs to tell them to stop writing out the A’s and just do like 6A, 5A, etc..

There’s no way a lot of mistakes haven’t happened because someone wrote down the wrong number of A’s.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 373 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just wait until they change it to AAAAAAAA. How many regions do they have. They may mistake region (6A)AAAAAA for Region 6 AAAAAA and so forth. Confusing to say the least. It was pretty easy when I was in school we had 3, AAA, AA and A lol