Somebody off-the-radar that I wanted to write about today ....

JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,041 admin

I've been thinking for a time about better ways to expand this forum. These pages can do more than just discuss a football team. They can, and should, connect a very large group of like-minded individuals.

When I see a few topics that stray from UGA football of late, it convinces me there are a few here who are simply idling their time until spring practice gears up. When I do, I think about a sense of community and being a part of something greater than any one individual. Or any single athletics department.

There's a young person I want all of you to know about. He's a 20-year old "recruit" and his older brother went to UGA. His name is Jack Heustess. He's a soldier in the U.S. Army Infantry off on his first nine-month deployment in Afghanistan.

He represents 50 stars. Not just the five I'm often tasked to write about.

His family is an equal mix of proud and terrified. They know he will be in harm's way in what is still often known as one of the most dangerous places Americans serve. He's been described to me as having more common sense than most. Rational. Thoughtful.

His family considers itself true members of DawgNation. But more importantly, they serve our nation in more ways than most of us will know. Monroe Heustess, Jack's older brother, is also a 2nd LT in the Air Force. He's stationed out in Texas.

His mother was at UGA during the Herschel years. She saw the Glory Days. This family sounds every bit like the real "DGDs" everyone always speaks of.

If you believe in the power of prayer or just sending up a kind thought about Jack, I'm sure this family would greatly appreciate it. I realize there are many other soldiers out there than just this young man. They all passionately follow UGA football and serve our country. I hope that these words can in some small way reflect the commitment of many. Not just a single 20-year old who seems blessed with a superpower to sleep soundly in frigid temperatures.

I spend a lot of my work life writing about "dudes" that can clock low times in the 40. I wanted to share these lines about a 50-star soldier who can carry a 100-pound rucksack 14 miles in the same amount of time it takes to watch a replay of The Rose Bowl.

If you feel so inclined, I'm sure he could use a note showing how much you appreciate those nights he has to sleep in a poncho in the snow.

I'm going to write him. I will ask my kids to do so, too. Because I want to make sure he knows he is appreciated. I hope to bring him a little warmth in a dangerous faraway land. He might not need it, but my family will do so anyway.

I wish we could do more, but this is the real "DawgNation Appreciation" that is on my mind today.

His mailing address is:

1-12 IN-TF Red Warrior
Jack Heustess
A Co, TF Red Warrior
APO AE 09355

Comments

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How proud you must be of your sons, two such honorable young men and the responsibilities they have taken on. We tend to forget how parents feel the weight of those responsibilities each and every day. Godspeed to them both.

**** good family.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good column Jeff, my son just got out of the Marines and will be leaving in a few weeks going back to Afghanistan as a private contractor. Fortunately for my wife and myself he won't be allowed to leave the base so our fears are slightly lessened. My prayers go out to all of the brave men and women who are overseas serving our country. My God watch over them all!

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 12

Wonderful...just wonderful. Nothing but love, respect, and appreciation for the young man and his family. You make sure they know the appreciation we have for men like him on this forum. I always have time to break bread with people like them if they’re ever in Nashville.

Edit - I will make sure my daughter and I send a letter to the young man.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I will pray for him as only a father who has been on the phone with one of his sons in combat; when he heard "Got to go dad incoming.". I am sorry to say that is not the worst communication.

• RockdaleBulldogs1992RockdaleBulldogs1992 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nothing but prayers from this 24 year Fort Lewis, WA; GA Dawg! I can honestly say there is great comfort and a sense of normalcy to receive uplifting mail when your down range. Blessing JH and return home safely...

• orlandoorlando Posts: 490 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thank you for putting things back in perspective. I’ve not been in the military but I have the upmost respect and appreciation for our soldiers and plan on mailing a letter to the young man.
    God bless the USA and Go Dawgs !!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In a world in which it is getting harder and harder to agree with things, this is one of those that should leave no doubt. After 22 years in and numerous deployments I can attest to the fact that receiving a letter is definately uplifting. Please tell the family that we are very grateful for them raising two great young men. May the Big Dawg always watch over them.

My thank you will be in the mail tomorrow.

• Army_Dawg1Army_Dawg1 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Jeff - great article - thank you - puts things back in perspective!! Dawg Nation please DO send a letter - Soldiers love getting the mail. Cookies and brownies are always welcome too!! By the way - may be semantics - but in the Army - we always capitalize the word Soldier!! God bless the Heustess Family, all our deployed men and women, and Go DAWGS!!

• johnnyrebjohnnyreb Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Thank You US Army Infantryman Jack Heustess for your Service and Sacrifices. You are a most valuable member of our DawgNation.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭ Junior

@oldon42 said:
    I will pray for him as only a father who has been on the phone with one of his sons in combat; when he heard "Got to go dad incoming.". I am sorry to say that is not the worst communication.

That's tough! Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

• JunkYardDawg84JunkYardDawg84 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Jeff hope this gets you in time. You probably already have it in the works any way but, at tonight’s event ask these 5 DGDs to sign a photo for this Soldier. I spent 3.5 years in Afghanistan & Iraq. Believe me, UGA sports is a HUGE piece of home. Nothing would make him smile more or puff his chest out farther before strapping it up and going on that next mission.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 15

@JunkYardDawg84 said:
    Jeff hope this gets you in time. You probably already have it in the works any way but, at tonight’s event ask these 5 DGDs to sign a photo for this Soldier. I spent 3.5 years in Afghanistan & Iraq. Believe me, UGA sports is a HUGE piece of home. Nothing would make him smile more or puff his chest out farther before strapping it up and going on that next mission.

Wonderful idea!

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,041 admin

@JunkYardDawg84 said:

I like that idea, but we were able to put together something for Jack a little better than that.

• thetoastedheadthetoastedhead Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Jeff,

Thank you for bringing this to light. Many, many prayers for him and all who love him.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    I've been thinking for a time about better ways to expand this forum. These pages can do more than just discuss a football team. They can, and should, connect a very large group of like-minded individuals.

When I see a few topics that stray from UGA football of late, it convinces me there are a few here who are simply idling their time until spring practice gears up. When I do, I think about a sense of community and being a part of something greater than any one individual. Or any single athletics department.

There's a young person I want all of you to know about. He's a 20-year old "recruit" and his older brother went to UGA. His name is Jack Heustess. He's a soldier in the U.S. Army Infantry off on his first nine-month deployment in Afghanistan.

He represents 50 stars. Not just the five I'm often tasked to write about.

His family is an equal mix of proud and terrified. They know he will be in harm's way in what is still often known as one of the most dangerous places Americans serve. He's been described to me as having more common sense than most. Rational. Thoughtful.

His family considers itself true members of DawgNation. But more importantly, they serve our nation in more ways than most of us will know. Monroe Heustess, Jack's older brother, is also a 2nd LT in the Air Force. He's stationed out in Texas.

His mother was at UGA during the Herschel years. She saw the Glory Days. This family sounds every bit like the real "DGDs" everyone always speaks of.

If you believe in the power of prayer or just sending up a kind thought about Jack, I'm sure this family would greatly appreciate it. I realize there are many other soldiers out there than just this young man. They all passionately follow UGA football and serve our country. I hope that these words can in some small way reflect the commitment of many. Not just a single 20-year old who seems blessed with a superpower to sleep soundly in frigid temperatures.

I spend a lot of my work life writing about "dudes" that can clock low times in the 40. I wanted to share these lines about a 50-star soldier who can carry a 100-pound rucksack 14 miles in the same amount of time it takes to watch a replay of The Rose Bowl.

If you feel so inclined, I'm sure he could use a note showing how much you appreciate those nights he has to sleep in a poncho in the snow.

I'm going to write him. I will ask my kids to do so, too. Because I want to make sure he knows he is appreciated. I hope to bring him a little warmth in a dangerous faraway land. He might not need it, but my family will do so anyway.

I wish we could do more, but this is the real "DawgNation Appreciation" that is on my mind today.

His mailing address is:

1-12 IN-TF Red Warrior
    Jack Heustess
    A Co, TF Red Warrior
    APO AE 09355

Great stuff Jeff!

• DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophomore

Prayers lifted up for him and his family! Thanks for sharing this Jeff! We can sometimes get wrapped up in just football and forget the lives outside of the yard markers. Good read and will be praying for these DGDs in the future!