Comments

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:
    His Dad is probably the greatest athlete ever to come out of Georgia.

Hershel vs Evander MMA fight to settle it?

Ty Cobb was the best athlete Georgia has produced, but of course he was a first rate SOB as well.

As John Kruk once said, I’m not an athlete, I’m a baseball player. But yeah, Cobb was a [email protected] Tough call, because Herschel proved to be a more all around athlete. But Cobb held, or still holds, so many MLB records.

Cobb was the best all around hitter and easily the best base stealer/base runner of his era. He was a great athlete AND an all time great baseball player.
    Many will be surprised to learn that Cobb was named the greatest baseball player in the first half of the 20th century in 1950, not Ruth as most would assume today. Ruth gets the nod in modern context because of his supernatural power, but Cobb was a far more complete everyday player. The fact Ruth was a truly great left handed starting pitcher as well as the greatest power hitter in history is just mind blowing.

It was a different era in pro sports back then. You could take anyone in the NBA, NFL or MLB today and plop them in the early to mid 20th century and they would be absolute legends of the sport. Pretty sure nobody was throwing 100mph fastballs in Ruth's day.

I see you never heard of Walter Johnson.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Ty Cobb was the best athlete Georgia has produced, but of course he was a first rate SOB as well.

As John Kruk once said, I’m not an athlete, I’m a baseball player. But yeah, Cobb was a [email protected] Tough call, because Herschel proved to be a more all around athlete. But Cobb held, or still holds, so many MLB records.

Cobb was the best all around hitter and easily the best base stealer/base runner of his era. He was a great athlete AND an all time great baseball player.
    Many will be surprised to learn that Cobb was named the greatest baseball player in the first half of the 20th century in 1950, not Ruth as most would assume today. Ruth gets the nod in modern context because of his supernatural power, but Cobb was a far more complete everyday player. The fact Ruth was a truly great left handed starting pitcher as well as the greatest power hitter in history is just mind blowing.

It was a different era in pro sports back then. You could take anyone in the NBA, NFL or MLB today and plop them in the early to mid 20th century and they would be absolute legends of the sport. Pretty sure nobody was throwing 100mph fastballs in Ruth's day.

Well yeah, that's because we've all gotten bigger, stronger and faster as the decades have worn on. Not to mention technological and medical advancements (such as sports nutrition and strength & conditioning specific for each sport/position these days). That's why it's always hard to compare athletes of different generations and/or sports.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Well yeah, that's because we've all gotten bigger, stronger and faster as the decades have worn on. Not to mention technological and medical advancements (such as sports nutrition and strength & conditioning specific for each sport/position these days). That's why it's always hard to compare athletes of different generations and/or sports.

Correct. Plus pro sports weren't a year round thing back in the day. Check out the back of old baseball and football cards. "Joe Blow works as an insurance salesman in the off season..." Pro football really didn't become a big deal till around the mid century. Those guys essentially played for fun because the pay wasn't enough to live on and typically had to get off season jobs to make ends meet. High School games used to draw bigger crowds.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

The fact Ruth was ... the greatest power hitter in history is just mind blowing.

Ummm,...Hank Aaron. Faced better pitching than Ruth, too.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Elijah will get plenty of carries this season and should put up some good numbers. And if I remember right, Tyson bit Evander twice to get disqualified.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

I’d love to know how hard Christy Mathewson or Walter Johnson threw. I think they pitched every few days.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Elijah will get plenty of carries this season and should put up some good numbers. And if I remember right, Tyson bit Evander twice to get disqualified.

Evander has the best ESPN 30 for 30 (that documentary series ESPN does, forget exactly what is’s called) I’ve ever seen. In it, Tyson says he bit Evander’s ear just because he was so frustrated. Frustrated that Evander was that good of a fighter was the main thing he said he was frustrated over.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@orlando said:

Evander has the best ESPN 30 for 30 (that documentary series ESPN does, forget exactly what is’s called) I’ve ever seen. In it, Tyson says he bit Evander’s ear just because he was so frustrated. Frustrated that Evander was that good of a fighter was the main thing he said he was frustrated over.

Indeed he was frustrated. His own skills had deteriorated, and the loss of Kevin Rooney and Cus DiMato had left him nowhere near the technical fighter of his early days. The version of Tyson triumphed over by Holyfield in 1996 and 1997 could be compared to the version of Michael Vick that played for the NY Jets.

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 21

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Didn't he beat up a guy who had no hands?

• leroy300hleroy300h Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I'm sure Radi Nabulsi loves seeing his photo on here being used without his permission or credit

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@orlando said:

Indeed he was frustrated. His own skills had deteriorated, and the loss of Kevin Rooney and Cus DiMato had left him nowhere near the technical fighter of his early days. The version of Tyson triumphed over by Holyfield in 1996 and 1997 could be compared to the version of Michael Vick that played for the NY Jets.

Except that Vick did exactly diddly and squat as a professional his entire career.

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@orlando said:

Except that Vick did exactly diddly and squat as a professional his entire career.

I'm pretty sure he still holds both the career rushing and single season rushing by a QB. He also put butts in the seats of the GA dome. Oh, and he had a 99 rating on Madden. Then, he let the dogs out...

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@leroy300h said:
    I'm sure Radi Nabulsi loves seeing his photo on here being used without his permission or credit

I’m fairly certain you don’t need his permission, only need to properly cite his work. But either way you just did so we are good. Move along.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

I’d love to know how hard Christy Mathewson or Walter Johnson threw. I think they pitched every few days.

I don't know about Christy Mathewson but they timed Walter Johnson from films of his games at 101 mph.

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

I don't know about Christy Mathewson but they timed Walter Johnson from films of his games at 101 mph.

Thanks. Didn’t call him Big Train for nothing!

• theoriginalpitbulltheoriginalpitbull Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Want to see #13 on the field early and often next year, sort of as a "Chubb" to Swift's "Michael"

The dude has waited long enough.

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Thanks. Didn’t call him Big Train for nothing!

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Evander greatest heart. Walker greatest athlete.

I wont even give Evander the edge in heart. Look at the dedication of Herschel to develop his body with 1000's of daily pushups and situps. Black belt. Bobsled team. World class sprinter. Herschel made Chuck Norris cry like an 8 year old child.

Agree to disagree. Herschel never got his ear bit off and still whooped the baddest man to step in a ring at that time

Neither did Holyfield get his ear bitten off and still go on to whoop the baddest man to step in a ring at that time. The fight was stopped as soon as Tyson bit him, AND Tyson was no longer the best by 1996, and even Holyfield had been beaten by two other fighters prior. Tyson was stripped of the title at that time for dodging Lennox Lewis, who did ultimately beat Tyson when they finally fought. Holyfield won the title initially by knocking out a dumpy fatarse fighter nobody in history will respect, who had knocked out Tyson only 8 months previous. Evander is not in the Top 10, maybe not the Top 25. He lost 10 fights, including Riddick Bowe, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis, and John Ruiz in the 90's.

Actually there were two ear bites and they finished the round before stopping the fight.

The first bite, which was the one that took part of Evander's ear off happens at about 2:49 of the video. The second, less damaging bite on the other ear, happens at about 5:25 of the video.

@gdawg4life said:

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Evander greatest heart. Walker greatest athlete.

I wont even give Evander the edge in heart. Look at the dedication of Herschel to develop his body with 1000's of daily pushups and situps. Black belt. Bobsled team. World class sprinter. Herschel made Chuck Norris cry like an 8 year old child.

Agree to disagree. Herschel never got his ear bit off and still whooped the baddest man to step in a ring at that time

Neither did Holyfield get his ear bitten off and still go on to whoop the baddest man to step in a ring at that time. The fight was stopped as soon as Tyson bit him, AND Tyson was no longer the best by 1996, and even Holyfield had been beaten by two other fighters prior. Tyson was stripped of the title at that time for dodging Lennox Lewis, who did ultimately beat Tyson when they finally fought. Holyfield won the title initially by knocking out a dumpy fatarse fighter nobody in history will respect, who had knocked out Tyson only 8 months previous. Evander is not in the Top 10, maybe not the Top 25. He lost 10 fights, including Riddick Bowe, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis, and John Ruiz in the 90's.

Actually there were two ear bites and they finished the round before stopping the fight.

The first bite, which was the one that took part of Evander's ear off happens at about 2:49 of the video. The second, less damaging bite on the other ear, happens at about 5:25 of the video.

Brings back a lot of memories. I forgot how colorful Mills Lane, the referee was. He was a classic.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Cobb wasn't any better or worse than most baseball players of that time...he just caught more heat for it because he was one of the top-5 stars of the day and caught a lot of media attention for his actions. Matter of fact, a lot of journalists did hatchet jobs on Cobb because he didn't like reporters a whole lot....and as a result, reporters took it out on him in the press. Much of Al Stump's book that was released after Cobb's death in 1961 has been debunked by people that did a lot of research into Cobb's behavior.....a lot more than Stump or contemporary reporters of his time did.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

I almost completely disagree about today's players vs those from the past.
    Just last year we had a 5'6'' 165lb power hitting league MVP.
    Cobb and Ruth were not just the best who decided on baseball over many other big money sports like today's baseball players, they were the very best white athletes period.
    There is no reason I see that suggest Cobb wouldn't be great today. He might not steal as many bases and he'd likely hit more hrs because steals aren't as valued and nutrition, the juiced ball and other factors make HRs far more common.
    He would still be a superstar though, so would Ruth.

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Cobb and Ruth were not just the best who decided on baseball over many other big money sports like today's baseball players, they were the very best white athletes period.
    There is no reason I see that suggest Cobb wouldn't be great today. He might not steal as many bases and he'd likely hit more hrs because steals aren't as valued and nutrition, the juiced ball and other factors make HRs far more common.

Very few of the throw-back guys would survive in pro sports today in any sport...however, pretty much every single player on any NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL team today would absolutely dominate their position in any pre-1950's sport.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

Very few of the throw-back guys would survive in pro sports today in any sport...however, pretty much every single player on any NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL team today would absolutely dominate their position in any pre-1950's sport.

Yeah that’s a bit of a head scratcher for me. As a general concept when does older, less evolved element out perform an element of a higher level of evolution? the whole point of progress is people figured out how to do things more efficiently. That’s true of a lion trying to out breed his genetic competition or a pitcher trying to throw a better curveball. the body make up of athletes is a great example. Hershel was basically the same size as his entire offensive line in 1980. Now look at our starting 5 O linemen. Complete monsters. Literally. And I would be willing to bet they have not sacrificed much athleticism in getting that big either.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Holyfield rushes for 15,000 yards.

• KyotoPhantasyKyotoPhantasy Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Props to Evander, but a Tyson in his prime would have won easily.

@moos said:

@ghostofuga1 said:
    I think Holyfield rushes for 15,000 yards.

Was thinking about what it would take to do this. It's about 6x the "normal" outrageous season. Using round numbers, the back would have to average just over 1,000y per game and make the Natty, which shouldn't be too hard given the stats.

So if we take that 6x multiplier and carry it down to YPC to get a sense of how many touches it might take, at a minimum, you arrive at about 60yards per carry average. Zamir White's senior HS campaign was a 14ypc, 2500 total yard season so it works out.

2500 * 6 = 15,000 total yards
    14 * 6 = ~60 ypc

If you're averaging 60ypc, you have to touch the ball a minimum of about 17 times to achieve 1000 yards per game. And if you're averaging 60 ypc, you're taking to the house on nearly every touch.

So what would that game look like? The most "likely" scenario is that you take a touchback on whichever half you receive the kick and the back takes it to the house the next play. Your defense then forces 16 three-and-outs, you fair catch each punt, and the back scores on first or second down on the ensuing drive each time.

That's 17 scores per game. Your average game is 119-0.

That sounds about right.

Maybe its a typo. 1,500 Yrds