Next To Commit To The G 2019

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Per suggestion from corai3, starting thread for class of 2019. Our next #1 class!

Comments

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

owen pappoe

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:
    Gonna flip Hinton from Michigan. Mark it down.

Wa Hoo!!! another dagger in Harbaugh!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@andrews1253 said:

@pgjackson said:

Michigan is a sinking ship. Harbaugh gets fired after this season. I think they are tired of his unproductive shenanigans.

@pgjackson said:

@andrews1253 said:

@pgjackson said:

Michigan is a sinking ship. Harbaugh gets fired after this season. I think they are tired of his unproductive shenanigans.

I am surprised Harbaugh survived the meltdown against SCjr. Gotta be a firestorm in that fan base over his lack of success. Works for me...

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

THAT WOULD ABSOLUTELY MAKE MY DAY if Hinton FLIPS to GEORGIA!!! IS this just a guess on your part?? OR Do you really "know something" about this particular recruit/situation??? Please DO TELL if you know something else....?????

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Bamer has stacked 4-5 stars year over year (same position), why cannot UGA do that? Seems that some are suggesting that 4-5 stars are not willing to wait their turn at UGA even though it is on track to be as dependable a competitor as the Bamer has been. (Would like some reassurance, actually.) What say ye?

@christopherules said:

@pgjackson said:

THAT WOULD ABSOLUTELY MAKE MY DAY if Hinton FLIPS to GEORGIA!!! IS this just a guess on your part?? OR Do you really "know something" about this particular recruit/situation??? Please DO TELL if you know something else....?????

I don’t know anything. I’m just looking at the track record. We flipped their #1 guy in 2018.. Gonna do it again in 2019. Kirby is a master at flipping guys he needs.

@FirePlugDawg said:
    If Bamer has stacked 4-5 stars year over year (same position), why cannot UGA do that? Seems that some are suggesting that 4-5 stars are not willing to wait their turn at UGA even though it is on track to be as dependable a competitor as the Bamer has been. (Would like some reassurance, actually.) What say ye?

Nobody is saying that. Great players want to play on great teams. I think kids are getting wise that sometimes starting right away sounds great, but it’s a lot of wear and tear over the years. You really only need one good season to get a high draft. Why kill yourself on some crap team for 3-4 years? Go to a Bama or UGA, sit for a year or two, get one to two solid seasons in and hit the NFL fresh.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Nobody is saying that. Great players want to play on great teams. I think kids are getting wise that sometimes starting right away sounds great, but it’s a lot of wear and tear over the years. You really only need one good season to get a high draft. Why kill yourself on some crap team for 3-4 years? Go to a Bama or UGA, sit for a year or two, get one to two solid seasons in and hit the NFL fresh.

Agreed. And UGA has already started stacking 4 & 5 stars. Look at the last two classes, and hopefully this up coming one too.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

It is more than that. Even if you are on the scout team you get to practice against great players 5 days a week and be coached by top of the line coaches. If you were Trey Sanders the top rated RB in 2019 would you want to some place like Tenn. where you are going to run 25 to 35 times a game and get your body beat up to win 6 or 7 games or go to Georgia where you are going to run 10 to 15 times a game behind their O-line and compete for championships.

Maurice Hampton of Memphis is listed as #1 cornerback for 2019 class and #1 football recruit in TN, yet he doesn't have a UGA offer per ESPN site. It shows he is a LSU commit from 2016 (!), and there is no Testing Results (40 times, etc.) which would indicate that he hasn't been invited or participated in camps etc. What is the likely story? Just an oversight?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/view/position/order/true/position/cornerback

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/220036/maurice-hampton

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Maurice Hampton of Memphis is listed as #1 cornerback for 2019 class and #1 football recruit in TN, yet he doesn't have a UGA offer per ESPN site. It shows he is a LSU commit from 2016 (!), and there is no Testing Results (40 times, etc.) which would indicate that he hasn't been invited or participated in camps etc. What is the likely story? Just an oversight?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/view/position/order/true/position/cornerback

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/220036/maurice-hampton

I'd go off 247 Composite rankings, they have him as 125th overall/13th CB. ESPN doesn't have a much of a budget to cover recruiting these days, so I always take their rankings with a grain of salt. 247 has him as their 71st ranked player. And Rivals doesn't seem to even have him in their top 250. He may just be a kid that doesn't do a lot of camps, therefore a lot of stats aren't out there. Also, I'm sure the staff has looked at his film and will offer when they see what they want out of him.

https://247sports.com/Player/Maurice-Hampton-88511

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

This is so true. A lot of these kids are planning to support themselves financially with football so anything that reduces injury risk is a +. Also NFL scouts don't really care about your freshman and sophomore seasons that much anyway. A bad Junior season tanks prospects. Shaun Oakman comes to mind

edited March 27

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I'd go off 247 Composite rankings, they have him as 125th overall/13th CB. ESPN doesn't have a much of a budget to cover recruiting these days, so I always take their rankings with a grain of salt. 247 has him as their 71st ranked player. And Rivals doesn't seem to even have him in their top 250. He may just be a kid that doesn't do a lot of camps, therefore a lot of stats aren't out there. Also, I'm sure the staff has looked at his film and will offer when they see what they want out of him.

Thanks for the 247 link. 247 has him as #2 player in TN (composite) and #1 in its own rankings. Plus UGA just signed Bill Norton of Memphis. Perhaps there will be some news if he is otherwise okay. I'm no judge but his video looks pretty good. Maybe its grades or personality?

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Thanks for the 247 link. 247 has him as #2 player in TN (composite) and #1 in its own rankings. Plus UGA just signed Bill Norton of Memphis. Perhaps there will be some news if he is otherwise okay. I'm no judge but his video looks pretty. Maybe its grades or personality?

Maybe. Could be he told the coaches he has no interest in UGA, so they haven’t pursued. Or maybe the coaches value a lot of other DBs ahead of him.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Owen Pappoe would give us a BIG BOOST! Hope he joins and becomes a vocal leader.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol @Lagunadawg explain your "Christmas comes early" thread on 247 and why other posters are implying that you believe Aubrey Solomon is transferring to UGA

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes explain

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The more I see and read about Kyle Hamilton, the more I want to see him sign with UGA. His lack of speed is a concern, but his size and intelligence should help him overcome that. Could be good field general at safety.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. How about a big, fast safety with intelligence?
  • MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@christopherules said:

@pgjackson said:

I don’t know anything. I’m just looking at the track record. We flipped their #1 guy in 2018.. Gonna do it again in 2019. Kirby is a master at flipping guys he needs.

For some players, they choose a school because of coaches. Players too. Hinton has a strong connection to the D-line coach, Greg Mattison who was the DC for the Ravens when his seven-time pro bowler Dad played there. So the connection is really strong. Numerous players flip, but I don't see it happening with Hinton.
    As for the next commit, It's gotta be Pappoe on May 5th. Many of the other leans/likely commits will wait until mid to late Summer.

@MarkBoknecht said:

@pgjackson said:

@christopherules said:

@pgjackson said:

For some players, they choose a school because of coaches. Players too. Hinton has a strong connection to the D-line coach, Greg Mattison who was the DC for the Ravens when his seven-time pro bowler Dad played there. So the connection is really strong. Numerous players flip, but I don't see it happening with Hinton.
    As for the next commit, It's gotta be Pappoe on May 5th. Many of the other leans/likely commits will wait until mid to late Summer.

The way Michigan is going, there is no guarantee any of their coaches will survive after 2018. Two programs heading in different directions. He committed to Michigan early (before the 2017 season). Before that UGA was the favorite. I just have a feeling he's going to flip.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 407 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@pgjackson said:

@christopherules said:

@pgjackson said:

The way Michigan is going, there is no guarantee any of their coaches will survive after 2018. Two programs heading in different directions. He committed to Michigan early (before the 2017 season). Before that UGA was the favorite. I just have a feeling he's going to flip.

Yeah, I see your point. He would be a phenomenal get for Ga. There's an article from the Detroit News about Hinton that reads, in part: "But I can't describe to you how fast he stood up with 500 pounds five straight times." (Trap bar deadlift)
    As for my earlier comment... It's true that Hinton Sr. Played for the Ravens and it's true that Mattison was a DC for the Ravens. But Hinton Sr's career was long over when Mattison was the DC in 2009-2010. The two actually met up when Hinton was a Freshman at Northwestern Univ. and Mattison was an Asst. Coach in 1980. Off by a mere 29 years and I'm feeling kind of **** right now. Sorry about that.

Convincing Hinton to stay in state would be another feather in Kirby's cap. Need to get that one.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@coastaldawg said:
    The more I see and read about Kyle Hamilton, the more I want to see him sign with UGA. His lack of speed is a concern, but his size and intelligence should help him overcome that. Could be good field general at safety.

I don’t want anymore slow DBs. National title game is the last time i want one to ever be on the field

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would give up a little speed at free safety to have a smarter player who is always in position and helps coordinate our coverage. Parrish was terrible in NC game, but Sanders being out of position allowed the play that cost us the NC.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@coastaldawg said:

I don’t want anymore slow DBs. National title game is the last time i want one to ever be on the field

Smarts and reaction time can make up for slow. Just ask Richard Sherman. You should watch the first play of Hamilton’s hudl highlight.

• 313DAWG313DAWG Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

@judasdurant said:

@coastaldawg said:

We didn't lose the national championship game b/c of an blown coverage, we lost the game b/c we played not to loose in the 4th Qt. constantly running the ball up the middle against a BRICK WALL, scared coaching/play calls cost us the chip.