Will Dansby Swanson be a bust ?

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right this minute it looks more than possible he simply won't figure it out.
He looks to have Francour syndrome, always a bit behind in his adjustments.

Interestingly it's often the cocky or extremely self assured types who end up losing confidence, maybe it's just not in their thinking to come back from under-achieving their goals.

Thoughts /

Comments

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Interestingly it's often the cocky or extremely self assured types who end up losing confidence, maybe it's just not in their thinking to come back from under-achieving their goals.

Thoughts /

I sure hope he isn't a bust!! Maybe the expectations were too high and there was too much pressure put on him. I'm hoping that's the case.

As for your last comment, it seemed like you were saying Francour was cocky and that's not the vibe that I ever got from him. I wanted to weigh in on this, because this is not the vibe that I got from him at all. I saw him at a baseball game one time (12 year olds playing) and he was extremely nice and very complimentary of several of the boys playing, saying things like this kid is so good, etc... I am paraphrasing, since this was probably 10 years ago or more. Maybe this was just one snapshot of him though, I dunno.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Francouer (another JF) got pretty uppity when he got send down to the minors for a spell...I think it hastened his departure from the Braves.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way too early to tell about Dansby, he did rebound some at end of last season. Like Francouer, he needs to learn how to hit the ball up the middle and to right field more.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He will get it figured out.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 271 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sometimes it just takes time...people forget what a gap there is between triple-A and the bigs. I hope he makes the course corrections he needs, because dude was raking in 2016 when he was called up for a bit. In the meantime there's a whole lot of talent coming up this year. Should be fun to watch.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can Ryan Klesko step in?

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dansby must read DawgNation. 2 for 2 with rbi

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 30

2-2 with an RBI so far tonight. Just had an excellent at-bat, taking an outside 2-2 fastball to right to give us the lead after falling behind 0-2. Give him time.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dansby must read DawgNation. 2 for 2 with rbi so far tonight

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He did get jipped last night on that check swing strikeout. I think we will see a big improvement from him this year.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was 3-4 tonight with 1 RBI shoulda been 2 with the game winning rbi.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

Thoughts /

I sure hope he isn't a bust!! Maybe the expectations were too high and there was too much pressure put on him. I'm hoping that's the case.

As for your last comment, it seemed like you were saying Francour was cocky and that's not the vibe that I ever got from him. I wanted to weigh in on this, because this is not the vibe that I got from him at all. I saw him at a baseball game one time (12 year olds playing) and he was extremely nice and very complimentary of several of the boys playing, saying things like this kid is so good, etc... I am paraphrasing, since this was probably 10 years ago or more. Maybe this was just one snapshot of him though, I dunno.

Francour was obviously operating on pure athletic gifts early on, that gave him a sort of self assurance that evaporated when big league pitchers learned his weaknesses and he never was able to adjust.
    My point is players who sort of master the lower levels of the game relatively easily sometimes don't respond as well to the challenges presented at the highest level as some who are used to grinding to get there.

@ColaDawg86 said:
    He was 3-4 tonight with 1 RBI shoulda been 2 with the game winning rbi.

He won't go 0-4 every night, he had some good games last year as well.
    Of course every good result is encouraging.

@ugadawgs07 said:
    Dansby must read DawgNation. 2 for 2 with rbi so far tonight

He owes me money .. B)

How do y'all think Brandon McCarthy will do this season? He's taking the mound tonight.

Dansby just lined a fastball to center and turned a single in a double by hustling! Love it!

Braves are up 12-2 in the 6th. This team is getting on base at a high rate. All the homer or strike out guys are gone.

And once Ron Gant learns how to play outfield this team will be unstoppable

@Kasey said:

Easy, Ronnie Gant was one of my favorites!

@ColaDawg86 said:

@Kasey said:

Easy, Ronnie Gant was one of my favorites!

Same. But he started as a 2B and was so bad they sent him to the minors to learn OF.

And off topic, had to trade two Gant rookie cards to get a Chipper Jones rookie card. Think I came out on top with that one

@bmauldin said:

@ColaDawg86 said:
    Braves are up 12-2 in the 6th. This team is getting on base at a high rate. All the homer or strike out guys are gone.

And their best prospect is 2 weeks away from making the team.

Acuna is an extra base threat at all times.

Acuna looks like the real deal, but projecting rookies is dicey at best.
    I think he'll be good, maybe right away, but MLB pitching can humble even sure things once they see a weakness. It may or may not take time for him to figure it out.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

I think he'll be good, maybe right away, but MLB pitching can humble even sure things once they see a weakness. It may or may not take time for him to figure it out.

True, but he’s the number one prospect in all of baseball by almost every ranking and he’s crushed the ball through the farm system and spring training.
    He could be a bust... or he could be the dynamic player we’ve been missing.

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

True, but he’s the number one prospect in all of baseball by almost every ranking and he’s crushed the ball through the farm system and spring training.

I think his bust potential is small, but there's a lot of ground between bust and instant star.
    I think the kid has elite tools and so far nothing has fazed him.

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

I think the Braves are missing far more than one dynamic player and Acuna is certainly a dynamic player.

@donm said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

I think the Braves are missing far more than one dynamic player and Acuna is certainly a dynamic player.

The team is still in development.
    There is some very good young/unproven talent and a few excellent vets, Freeman and Incarte being 2 of them.
    Even more than regulars our starting pitching is nowhere close to being where it needs to be.
    This is a critical developmental season, not one to expect to end in the playoffs.
    Of course Freeman and others on the roster will dream of the postseason and who knows, maybe many questions will be answered positively and it will be a playoff year, but not at all likely.
    As far as management's expectations, they've been BSing us for the past 4 years. They've known dang well they weren't fielding competitive teams, yet they kept overselling to get fans to come to the park.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Will Dansby Swanson be a bust?

It is way too early to really see a trend for this season, however, I think he will be just fine.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Brad Komminsk all over again. Lol, give the kid a break. He’s playing well after 4 games. Let it breathe.

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Brad Komminsk all over again. Lol, give the kid a break. He’s playing well after 4 games. Let it breathe.

Had forgotten about Brad. Just couldn't quite get it done.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another big game tonight (Tue.), might need to keep this thread going till he cools off.