Robert Beal

mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does this guy still play for UGA? At one point this guy was a 5 star recruit but now we never hear about him. If he is still with the team how is he doing and what position will he play?

Comments

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Competing with Brenton Cox and Keyon Brown for 2nd team OLB this spring. In danger of falling further down the depth list with Anderson and Ojulari coming in the fall.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt Ojilari plays this year.

Beal is still going to be a beast.
    “R-E-L-A-X”
    -Arron Rodgers

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

“R-E-L-A-X”
    -Arron Rodgers

I still remember watching his commitment video. Beal will be popping some pads sooner or later. He is a very determined player.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd say Beal is going to be second string this year and comfortable. Hes got the weight now he has to train his body again after 30 lbs.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s gonna be fine. He still has a couple guys ahead of him. Still a redshirt freshman. He will see playing time for sure

• dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Heard a couple of OL's say Beal is a beast. I think the only reason he redshirted was that he needed to gain weight. I think he shows up and shows out in 2018.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you guys! Seems like when they get red shirted they get lost in the weeds when it comes to reporting.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I imagine we will see him show up on GDay with a couple flashy plays because the defense has the advantage in any scrimmage that is played just because they know the offensive calls and have a idea of what’s coming

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bmauldin @greygoose01
    I’m 100% on board for Beal. He has all the talent. Glad he had last year to get used to the speed and learn the playbook. If memory serves right he was a late addition in the fall of 17

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @bmauldin @greygoose01
    I’m 100% on board for Beal. He has all the talent. Glad he had last year to get used to the speed and learn the playbook. If memory serves right he was a late addition in the fall of 17

Pretty sure he was the last one on board because of school paperwork. I can't remember if he transferred to IMG Academy for a while or not, and then back home.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @bmauldin @greygoose01

Pretty sure he was the last one on board because of school paperwork. I can't remember if he transferred to IMG Academy for a while or not, and then back home.

That’s correct. It may have actually been during the season. I can’t remember, but it was definitely transferred mid semester.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beal was a tad overrated early in high school in my opinion.
    He was a great athlete but not yet a great player.
    He has the measurables, the rest is hard to judge without on-field results.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 4

@mlee said:
    Does this guy still play for UGA? At one point this guy was a 5 star recruit but now we never hear about him. If he is still with the team how is he doing and what position will he play?

Was a five star who fell 100 spots before last rankings. As they say those rankings don't travel with you no matter the number. He has good speed n size for the field, think he can be very good. Up to him. You need to special to play at Georgia. Ordinary good not good enough anymore. Same was true with Nolan Smith ahead of him at IMG. Nolan is coming for time at UGA who we know is in .99 percentile of the good players.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt it has anything to do with his talent or skill honestly. He went to 3 different HS in a year and then came to UGA late and needed to bulk up. So I doubt it says anything about him or his talent. Being honest I dont think there's a way he doesnt make the two deep at IMG or UGA. So can we stop and let him become a player in his own right.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

“R-E-L-A-X”
    -Arron Rodgers

Ojulari won't play this year. I think he suffered an ACL injury so it's best if they kept him out this season and just RS him.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

better "get it together" quick...there is one on the way...the one who is fond of april fools jokes...his sparq #s are not photoshopped ....

@3rdshift said:
    better "get it together" quick...there is one on the way...the one who is fond of april fools jokes...his sparq #s are not photoshopped ....

There is room for more good outside pass rushers than many seem to think. We can easily find playing time for at least 4.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This seems to be a bit of a hidden story except for the most astute of the UGA fans that are (IMHO) only found right here in the DawgNation forum. All of this here about this kid Beal? This is great news! GO DAWGS!!!

The reason Beal dropped as a recruit was he simply was not as much a football player as he had the physical gifts to become one. We saw Ray Drew overrated coming in based on his potential, he simply never had the drive to be great.
    As for Beal, the tools are there, it's up to him to utilize them.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like the part where Kirby says Beal is exactly the player they thought he was coming out of high school. Didn't know about the mono part but my goodness... that's some real adversity and he seems to be back on track. I really like the way this team is shaping up if everyone can get back and healthy ASAP

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

It does seem odd that Beal has not been in the conversation this spring. Good question...

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the downside of the hyper-aggressive recruiting Kirby is being successful at. I don’t want to see kids who could have gone NFL not make it because they were competing for a spot against five other kids who could go NFL.

It’s like the competition to go NFL is already ridiculous enough. It doesn’t need to be harder because you chose the wrong school.

This hasn’t happened under Kirby yet. So we’ll just have to watch to see what happens.

It is true that Kentucky sends a higher percentage of their blue chip recruits to the NFL than Alabama does though. So how smart these kids are being choosing a school with deeper talent is certainly questionable. The media all going Gaga over how many players Alabama has at the combine is such a joke. It’s nothing Alabama did. When you have that many 5-Star recruits coming in, you should really even have a few more NFL prospects coming out.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander I don't understand what point you're trying to make?

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 15

@DawgsofWar said:

@bmauldin said:

“R-E-L-A-X”
    -Arron Rodgers

Ojulari won't play this year. I think he suffered an ACL injury so it's best if they kept him out this season and just RS him.

His recovery has not ruled him out of playing this year at all. It will be his play and contribution that will determine compared to other outside linebackers.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 15

The focus is on the student athlete yes that's true , & that must be balanced with the program too. CMR would STILL be here if Georgia wanted to be Kentucky, & CKS would be in Columbia, SC if the focus didn't have to be on the program first!!! That's the optimum flow... then the fans, & the money, & the new 4 & 5 star talent, etc etc all comes in.. Georgia does not want to be Kentucky at all. Georgia DOES want to compete with (& then BEAT) Alabama! So? GO DAWGS!!! PS - God bless Mister Beal & I wish him all the success he can achieve moving forward. He's able to earn a spot out on the field of play? Then he earned it!

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    @levander I don't understand what point you're trying to make?

I want college to be a learning opportunity for kids with opportunity for them to make mistakes and still succeed. Kirby’s hyper-aggressive recruiting is a possible threat to our football player’s ability to do that. But according to the vote downs on that post, most people apparently could care less.