Georgia’s rival

dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know our rival game is Georgia tech, but auburn, Tennessee, Florida are all up there. Sometimes when you lose and it’s to a rival, it seem like it isn’t as big of a deal (Alabama losing to auburn last year). What school could we lose to and still make it to the playoffs?

Comments

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough question. I would have to say USCe. It would have to be a close game and they could only lose 2 games that season (both conference). That would also mean that they beat Clemson.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 328 ✭✭✭ Junior

We could lose to any P5 school and still make it to the play offs. Just look at Clemson last year losing to a 4-8 Syracuse or Ohio State losing to a bad Virginia Tech team at home in 2014.

Also not sure how the opening part of this post ties into the question. If the question is which rival would I mind losing to the least, then idk. Losing to tech is almost never acceptable. It would s u c k majorly to lose to UF or UT in the first year under their new coaches (plus it's UF and UT. Losing to them always sucks). It seems like there's a lot of smack talk between Soutg Carolina and UGA fans this year. Don't think I'd wanna lose that one. That leaves Auburn. While I despise Auburn and have enjoyed our dominance over them over the past decade, I guess if I absolutely HAD to pick one it would be them. It's a quality team from a different division that we just beat. I could probably handle that.

Maybe.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Austin Peay?

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 231 ✭✭✭ Junior

Given the SOS, we really can't afford to lose a regular season game. That being said, we could still lose one and make the playoff, but for that to happen - the loss would have to be early in the season and we would have to dominate for the remainder of the season and beat a high ranked West Champion in the SEC Championship.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like it has been said by so many others before that are way, way smarter than I am, & it has been said by those folks many, many times before too... it is far & away a better thing to lose a game early on in the year, than it is to lose one late as the season draws to a close. Their have been some very recent & quite notable exceptions to that rule (the loser of the 2017 Iron Bowl comes to my mind immediately), but besides an incredible exception like that one??? Unfortunately that kind of favoritism would never be given to Georgia under any circumstances I feel almost certain. IF (this is a BIG IF here folks) Georgia "could" lose a game?, & still be invited into the CFP for January of 2019? The only way I can see that with this season's Georgia schedule is a very close (razor thin) loss to South Carolina in week # two. Anything else after that? This year's Georgia team I think would have almost no chance at the 2019 CFB in early January. Georgia wants to get into the CFP for January of 2019? Then Georgia NEEDS to run the table this year.

edited April 14

@andrews1253 you make a really great point about the VOLTARDS & their fan base having many that seem to have a seriously questionable & deeply challenged education from their very birth onward up at Rocky Top. After all they said themselves that they all "get their corn from a jar", right? That alone speaks volumes! However, I believe that the importance of the HUGE statewide population of Florida (biggest population by far in the Southeastern US), translates (to me anyway) into a HUGE amount of potential recruits that Georgia must edge out the other SEC (as well as National) programs, the Florida Swamp-lizards are the MAIN rival for me for that reason, they ARE the biggest single in-season building block for Georgia. At least 100 more Sony Michels from every position on the field of play are needed over the 10-15 years at Georgia, lest they wind up playing elsewhere. I think it should be as important as an SEC rivalry as there is anywhere... viewed (again IMHO) much the same as the Michigan-Ohio St rivalry is in the BIG-10. Georgia needs to earn the right of first refusal for the in state "Georgia-boy" recruits, & then needs to cherry pick as they please from the "out of state" recruits, & that starts (to me) with the next door neighbor in Florida, then as many other places as Georgia can spread it's brand across the country. GO DAWGS!!!

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 14

Fertile recruiting grounds a rivalry does not make. Spurrier provided ample reason to hate the lizards. Auburn is our oldest rivalry but does not seem to produce the old fashion hate that Florida does. Tennessee was a flash in the pan. I'll side with you. Hate the lizards. Heck I even came to hate the Seminoles while watching Jimbo's handling of Jameis Winston.

edited April 14

@andrews1253 I also believe that the split of the SEC into an Eastern & a Western division(s) back in 1992 has a lot to do with it as well. An Auburn loss does not effect the SEC East standings as directly as any loss in the SEC East (particularly Florida) would. Although a loss is a loss, and a conference loss in the SEC sucks too (because losses? they are ALL BAD), the division(s) have to be won to get to the SECCG. As for the Auburn rivalry? Yes, It IS the oldest one, but in order for Georgia to have a shot at anything in the postseason, the East has to be Georgia's first focus. As for Steve Spurrier? He really helped for me personally to have a great disdain (& generally a bad taste in my mouth) for BOTH UF, & USCjr too. PS- The Georgia Tech thing? I am beginning to wonder when that one will (if ever again, then when??) renew the bad blood between the two schools that translates into a fiercely competitive game out on the field?

• orlandoorlando Posts: 347 ✭✭✭ Junior

Living in N Ga and working in Chattanooga, the Vols are the biggest rival up here in my opinion.
    Plus two of the best games I’ve went to are the “hob nail boot” in Knox and when Q broke the 9 year losing streak in Athens.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@orlando said:
    Living in N Ga and working in Chattanooga, the Vols are the biggest rival up here in my opinion.
    Plus two of the best games I’ve went to are the “hob nail boot” in Knox and when Q broke the 9 year losing streak in Athens.

It just depends on what part of the state you're living in as to who you consider UGA's biggest rival is, IMO. In NW Georgia, it's the Vols. In West Ga, it's Auburn. In the Augusta area, it's SCAR. In the Atlanta area, it's GT. In South Ga., I think it will always be the Gators.

For me, personally, it's GT, UF, AU, Tenn., and SCAR in that order. Of course, I don't want to lose any of them, though.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@orlando I suspect you are at least partially correct, but I have a different theory. I think it has more to do with your age. I noticed that young thirties and and mid twenties seem to think Florida is our biggest rival. I am 34 and I am SICK of seeing the gators crush us. People that are slightly older than me, and people my age too are big on the idea that TENN is our biggest rival. This makes a lot of sense if you consider the time frame that both of those teams won their last national championships. Auburn dominated us in the early nineties and possibly the 80s (right?) and GT used to be be pretty good some time back then too.

Anyone else feel like this helps to put clarity on the situation, or am I off base?

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jarred_buck said:
    @orlando I suspect you are at least partially correct, but I have a different theory. I think it has more to do with your age. I noticed that young thirties and and mid twenties seem to think Florida is our biggest rival. I am 34 and I am SICK of seeing the gators crush us. People that are slightly older than me, and people my age too are big on the idea that TENN is our biggest rival. This makes a lot of sense if you consider the time frame that both of those teams won their last national championships. Auburn dominated us in the early nineties and possibly the 80s (right?) and GT used to be be pretty good some time back then too.

Anyone else feel like this helps to put clarity on the situation, or am I off base?

I think age has more to do with it than location. Unless, say, you live in Tennessee. Then you might think differently. I'm 29 and Florida is our biggest rival and it's not even close IMO. But, you're right in that it's primarily because we watched them beat our tails way more often than not. For me, it goes UF, Auburn, Tenn, GT. Tennessee and Auburn are basically tied for 2nd place.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jgf1031 said:

@jarred_buck said:

I think age has more to do with it than location. Unless, say, you live in Tennessee. Then you might think differently. I'm 29 and Florida is our biggest rival and it's not even close IMO. But, you're right in that it's primarily because we watched them beat our tails way more often than not. For me, it goes UF, Auburn, Tenn, GT. Tennessee and Auburn are basically tied for 2nd place.

This is exactly how I see it at 34!

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow @ Tennessee at 2nd place. I've always thought it was UF & Auburn battling for first and second place and the bugs at a distant 3rd

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 301 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think for them to be our biggest rival then we should be their biggest rival, no?

I live in Columbia and UGA is their most hated SEC team but I think most would pick Clemson as their #1
    Tennessee probably considers Alabama to be their biggest rival, but only because they have a distorted view of reality and think Tennessee is more than it is
    GaTech might consider us their biggest rival but they are like the little brother and therefore can't be our biggest
    Auburn def. considers Alabama to be their #1 but UGA is probably their #2

I think it is Florida. Yes, they have Fl. St but I wager most Florida fans who live outside of Tallahassee would rather beat UGA over Fl St if given the choice. And from UGA's perspective they have been the biggest, most consistent, thorn in the side going on nearly 30 years now. For me playing UF is the biggest game year in and year out. There are exceptions some years, certainly. And some wins matter more. But on average that would be the one I want UGA to win the most.

Just my $0.02

edited April 16

Since the SEC split back in 1992, each division has a opposite division rival on the other side. This is mostly (but not entirely) based on tradition. In Georgia vs Auburn, & Alabama vs Tennessee? It was easy. But the annual Florida vs LSU one may (or may not have) been a traditional rival that predates the divisions in the SEC. At nearly 55, I'm older, but I learn new stuff everyday. I'd say that Florida is Georgia's biggest rivalry these days, but when I was a child, I remember it was definitely Georgia Tech. That's one reason each of the Georgia schools fight song lyrics last sentence end with "The hell with the (opposite) school." But hey, what do I know? Here's something that I do know!, & that is GO DAWGS!!!

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree that age is a factor in who is considered our biggest rival. Before the SEC expanded and was divided into east and west divisions we did not play Tennessee on a regular basis so they were not a big rival and South Carolina wasn't in the SEC. Ga vs Auburn is the oldest rivalry in the Deep South and has always been fairly even. Ga vs Fla in Jacksonville has seen both teams dominate for extended periods, Ga in 70s thru 90s, Fla since then. Ga Tech dominated us in the early years, with the series being competitive for the last 40 or 50 years. Being almost 60 years old, I still consider Tech to be our most bitter rival, while I consider the WLOCP to be our biggest game, given it's importance as an SEC east game. Auburn would definitely rate next, followed by So. Car. and Tenn.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 347 ✭✭✭ Junior

Over all, yes the Gators are probably the biggest and the Ole Ball Coach has a lot to do with it in my opinion. I know Spurrier is a good coach and Kirby likes him but he’s still a db.

• dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

I also live in Chattanooga so my list in order of hate is:
    Tennessee
    Alabama
    Florida
    Auburn
    Georgia tech

@mattmd2 said:
    For me, I have to draw the important distinction between a rival and a team that I just hate and want to beat every year (pronounced: personal rival.)

For example, I hate Auburn because I grew up in west Georgia and my town was split between UGA and Auburn fans. My day-to-day happiness for the next 365 day span depended on the outcome of that game. These days, I hate Tennessee because I live in Chattanooga and have been introduced to a whole new level of annoying, irrationally privileged fans. So for me, my PERSONAL rivals are Auburn and Tennessee.

For the University of Georgia; however, the nod has to go to either Florida or GA Tech. GA Tech mostly “on paper” because they’re the in-state rival, the one we play during “rival week” after Thanksgiving, and because they are occasionally a thorn in our side. For the “real” rival, my vote would go to Florida. If you think about it, they schedule it on a neutral site every year and give the student body time off (fall break) to attend. Lately they've done a reasonably good job of handing us a loss, and the fact that the outcome of the game actually means something in the division gives them the nod over GT.

@mattmd2
    Well said sir! I can tell that a lot of thought put into this post too. I can easily see your point on all of these. Me? My own list (in order of who I cannot stand):

Florida
    Auburn
    Alabama
    Tennessee
    Georgia Tech

PS - GO DAWGS!!!!

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm south ga and 33 years old, I think its auburn

@jarred_buck said:

I am nearly 50, and I remember when we used to crush UF nearly every year. Dooley had an awesome record vs. UF here. He was 17-7-1 all time from 1964-1988. We also won 14 of 17 from 1971-1988, including a 12-2 run on them from 1974-1988. When we won, it was expected, and the few times we lost, we were like, what in tarnation just happened?!

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tech is unique in that it seems to take on an extra gear if they've won a game or two in recent years. I still think losing 3 in a row to Tech was the final nail for Donnan. Yes, he had a bit of a prickly demeanor at times and allegedly there was some questionable treatment of certain star players. However, UGA boosters are not going to tolerate losing to Tech consistently. Say what you want about Goff but he could beat Tech as could Richt. That's part of why Tech can't be#1 for me. We're expected to beat them.

I think all things factored in Florida has to get the nod as our biggest rival. They are a division rival so the game is big in that respect. They are a team with national brand recognition. It's also a special environment in that it's a neutral site game every year. All that added in I think makes them #1 on the list. I'm 39, btw, for those buying into the age theory.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

@orlando said:

I'm in the same boat. In N Ga close to Chattanooga, TN fans are the worst.

@PTDawg said:

I still think losing 3 in a row to Tech was the final nail for Donnan. Yes, he had a bit of a prickly demeanor at times and allegedly there was some questionable treatment of certain star players. However, UGA boosters are not going to tolerate losing to Tech consistently.

Funny story about what you were saying re. Donnan:

The day after our third loss in a row to GT, I was listening to the radio call-in show, and the fans were on there giving Donnan the business.

Donnan said something to the effect of, 'I don't know why these folks are getting all upset over losing to GT. It's not like it's a conference game or anything. It means nothing as far as SEC standings.'

As soon as he said that, I told my wife that he was going to be fired by Christmas. I was wrong about that, though....He was fired the next day.