New rules

dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The NCAA rules committee has announced that they will change the touchback rule. Now a player can call a fair catch between the goaline and the 25 yard line and receive the ball at the 25 yard line like taking a knee in the end zone. They sight to help limit injuries. This was a terrible rule change as kickoffs can be some of the most exciting things in college football. Next thing you know they will be wearing flags.

Comments

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

More rules more controversy. Leave the game along or just agree to participation trophies!

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All about the game being safer. I will be honest I’m saying I am not familiar with this, but it doesn’t really make sense in my opinion.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

If they are going to do that they should let the receiving team declare their intent on fair catch. Then the kicking team can just agree to let the have the ball at th 25.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I keep hearing two things consistently with regards to players safety:

1) kick offs will slowly but surely be phased out, in the name of player safety

2) the most violent contact takes place on the line every standard down

So my thoughts on this are that since Pennywise was the name of the clown in IT, classically played by Tim Curry and later inspiring the name of a punk band...

The rule that finally gets rid of kick offs should be called the Pound Foolish rule.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

What we DESPERATELY need is better officiating with refs being held more accountable! I am sick and tired of seeing some of these clowns ruin the game I love. Sick of seeing games being lost due to incompetent, or dishonest officials. These kids are out there playing their tails off, risking serious injury and even death to entertain us, they DESERVE better officiating! I bet Kirby would strongly agree, too!

GO AWAY BAD REFS!
    GO DAWGS!

• donmdonm Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The history of football sees a very early change in kickoff rules. The flying wedge, where return players locked arms and ran down the field to block, was banned for player safety. Even the NFL is headed towards eliminating kickoffs for safety reasons. Soon kickoffs will exist only on old films and some of our fading memories. Sigh.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really takes a lot of the excitement out of the game imo. Lame decision.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 This is so sad. This imho could really negatively affect the game & right away too.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My only thought is the Hail Mary does come into play in the final seconds of a game now but it does make the putch kick more interesting

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's going to turn into flag football. SAD, SAD, SAD.