Nate McBride

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haven’t heard anything. Was expecting a lot this year from him. Anyone heard news?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems with who’s coming in this summer and next year he might wind up being the next Ryne Rankin

• eklubreklubr Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Nate will see playing time but has competition for that PT. I know Nate is fast. I do not know if he outworks others or not.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 216 ✭✭✭ Junior

He’s running with the third team. Likely will not crack the two deep at any LB position as the room is only getting more talented.

He’ll make his impact on ST.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 231 ✭✭✭ Junior

The competition for playing time in the wolf pack is really good. Nate may not see the field a lot this year but he’s a hard worker who’s time will come.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 211 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Nate McBride is really "bringing it", & he truly is busting his tail off, & he's still in a struggle to get playing time out on the field??? Then just how huge does that speak volumes for what IS out on the field now in front of him?? I sense a just a little bit of "sandbagging" might be going on at the podium with CKS. GO DAWGS!!!

@christopherules said:
    If Nate McBride is really "bringing it", & he truly is busting his tail off, & he's still in a struggle to get playing time out on the field??? Then just how huge does that speak volumes for what IS out on the field now in front of him?? I sense a just a little bit of "sandbagging" might be going on at the podium with CKS. GO DAWGS!!!

McBride is just coming up on a full year at the program, he’s going to need some time. Our LB Corp is the second deepest on the team.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 211 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg I agree wholeheartedly! This is great news for Georgia & us as fans too! That's the reason for my earlier remark about some possible sandbagging that might be going on.

• TomGroseTomGrose Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sandbagging?

It's strange to me that people (including media folks like Brandon Adams) don't take Kirby at his word every time he opens his mouth.

It makes sense to be skeptical when there's a reason to be skeptical. Until Kirby gives the fans and reporters a reason to doubt what he says, all the cynicism is just posing.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nate will get it figured out and his time will come

• donmdonm Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TomGrose said:
    Sandbagging?

It's strange to me that people (including media folks like Brandon Adams) don't take Kirby at his word every time he opens his mouth.

It makes sense to be skeptical when there's a reason to be skeptical. Until Kirby gives the fans and reporters a reason to doubt what he says, all the cynicism is just posing.

I’m with you 100% on this. BA has on at least two occasions I have heard said something akin to “I don’t believe him” or “I don’t believe a word of it” when referring to something Kirby said. It was quite close (at least to me) to calling him a liar. Just because you might not agree with Kirby (which is fine) does not give license to question his truthfulness. If you don’t believe him why bother re-playing the audio clip?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 15

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    He’s running with the third team. Likely will not crack the two deep at any LB position as the room is only getting more talented.

Question. David Pollack has been the only ____ defensive starter for UGA football this century ?
    Answer. 3 time All American of course o:)

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Question. David Pollack has being the only ____ for UGA football this century ?

Slow clap for you...

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@TomGrose said:
    Sandbagging?

I’m with you 100% on this. BA has on at least two occasions I have heard said something akin to “I don’t believe him” or “I don’t believe a word of it” when referring to something Kirby said. It was quite close (at least to me) to calling him a liar. Just because you might not agree with Kirby (which is fine) does not give license to question his truthfulness. If you don’t believe him why bother re-playing the audio clip?

Preach on brother! BA does have a tendency to make something out of nothing. He does the same with Saben.

• levanderlevander Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby has to make difficult decisions. A lot of times it’s not a good idea to make your thought process known publicly. Not because you’re doing anything wrong. But just because a lot of times in difficult decisions there’s sensitive information being discussed.

That’s only one obvious reason Kirby can’t be completely straight with the public.

You guys going all wonky because someone doesn’t believe every word that comes out of Kirby’s mouth need to get a clue as to how things really work.

This same thing goes for every politician or businessman you ever come across. You can’t listen to a speech by someone like Obama or Trump or W Bush and consider yourself educated, there’s always more to it than that.

The gullibility of the public never ceases to amaze me, no matter how many times I see it.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Kirby has to make difficult decisions. A lot of times it’s not a good idea to make your thought process known publicly. Not because you’re doing anything wrong. But just because a lot of times in difficult decisions there’s sensitive information being discussed.

That’s only one obvious reason Kirby can’t be completely straight with the public.

You guys going all wonky because someone doesn’t believe every word that comes out of Kirby’s mouth need to get a clue as to how things really work.

This same thing goes for every politician or businessman you ever come across. You can’t listen to a speech by someone like Obama or Trump or W Bush and consider yourself educated, there’s always more to it than that.

The gullibility of the public never ceases to amaze me, no matter how many times I see it.

I don't believe you!!!

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

Especially Drumpf, man. I've been watching The Americans a lot lately, now I think Drumpf is a secret asian man and he isn't being quite forthcoming on where McBride is on our depth chart.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

McBride played all last year on special teams and had some NASTY hits. And last I read he's rotating in with some of the 2's now. One of the fastest and strongest kid's on the team too.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Question. David Pollack has been the only ____ defensive starter for UGA football this century ?

And the only other 3-time All American UGA had since the 1940s?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There have only been five four-time consensus All-Americans in all of college football history, all before 1901.
    There have only been 26 three time consensus All-Americans and only one (James Laurinaitis, 2006, 07, 08) since Herschel Walker (1980, 81,82).

UGA is the only SEC school with a three timer (HW).

David Pollack was a consensus All-American in 2002 and 2004. The AFCA selected him in 2003 (the other four biggies (AP, FWAA, TSN, and WCFF) did not), hence the claim "Three-time All-American."

There have been eleven two-time consensus All-Americans from the SEC on the defensive side, three from UGA, three from Bama, three from Tenn, and two from Fla:

Terry Hoage, Jarvis Jones, David Pollack (UGA)
    Eric Berry, John Henderson, Steve Kiner (Tenn)
    Terrence Cody, Minkah Fitzpatrick, C.J. Mosley (Bama)
    Wilber Marshall, Brandon Spikes (Fla)

• donmdonm Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    There have only been five four-time consensus All-Americans in all of college football history, all before 1901.
    There have only been 26 three time consensus All-Americans and only one (James Laurinaitis, 2006, 07, 08) since Herschel Walker (1980, 81,82).

UGA is the only SEC school with a three timer (HW).

David Pollack was a consensus All-American in 2002 and 2004. The AFCA selected him in 2003 (the other four biggies (AP, FWAA, TSN, and WCFF) did not), hence the claim "Three-time All-American."

There have been eleven two-time consensus All-Americans from the SEC on the defensive side, three from UGA, three from Bama, three from Tenn, and two from Fla:

Terry Hoage, Jarvis Jones, David Pollack (UGA)
    Eric Berry, John Henderson, Steve Kiner (Tenn)
    Terrence Cody, Minkah Fitzpatrick, C.J. Mosley (Bama)
    Wilber Marshall, Brandon Spikes (Fla)

Apparently earning the title "all-American" is about like earning a "world" championship in boxing - far too many organizations doing the job. How many of the organizations have to agree on a player to make him a consensus pick?

• AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophmore

Fwiw, I think it's a good indicator for future success that LB Nate McBride played in all 15 games last season (mostly on special teams) as a true freshmen. At 6'2", 223 lbs. w/ 10.71 seconds 100-meter speed he brings a lot of force when he connects with an opponent.

Note that as UGA's quality depth increases w/ improved recruiting, it's going to be more difficult for youngsters to step in right away and unseat talented upperclassmen. However, if a true freshman plays in every game (including SEC road contests when travel squads are limited to 70 players), I think that shows the coaches trust him (ability, work ethic, etc.). Thus when I see someone like Nate McBride, it reminds me of the spark that LB D'Andre Walker demonstrated as a true freshman in 2015 (i.e., played in 13 games, mostly on special teams, and made 9 tackles). Now skip ahead to the rising senior's final spring and he's out there with the first-string defense and will likely start at OLB this fall. Fwiw, another example is rising junior WR Mecole Hardman. As a true freshman he played in 11 games (missed the first 2 games of the season [coaches decision]), mostly on special teams but a little as a backup DB, made 6 tackles, and returned a kickoff for 17 yds. Then as a sophomore he played in 15 games w/ 1 start and started making his mark as a WR, wildcat QB, PR, and KR. Now the rising junior is projected to start at WR this fall.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AirForceDawg said:
    Fwiw, I think it's a good indicator for future success that LB Nate McBride played in all 15 games last season (mostly on special teams) as a true freshmen. At 6'2", 223 lbs. w/ 10.71 seconds 100-meter speed he brings a lot of force when he connects with an opponent.

Note that as UGA's quality depth increases w/ improved recruiting, it's going to be more difficult for youngsters to step in right away and unseat talented upperclassmen. However, if a true freshman plays in every game (including SEC road contests when travel squads are limited to 70 players), I think that shows the coaches trust him (ability, work ethic, etc.). Thus when I see someone like Nate McBride, it reminds me of the spark that LB D'Andre Walker demonstrated as a true freshman in 2015 (i.e., played in 13 games, mostly on special teams, and made 9 tackles). Now skip ahead to the rising senior's final spring and he's out there with the first-string defense and will likely start at OLB this fall. Fwiw, another example is rising junior WR Mecole Hardman. As a true freshman he played in 11 games (missed the first 2 games of the season [coaches decision]), mostly on special teams but a little as a backup DB, made 6 tackles, and returned a kickoff for 17 yds. Then as a sophomore he played in 15 games w/ 1 start and started making his mark as a WR, wildcat QB, PR, and KR. Now the rising junior is projected to start at WR this fall.

Good to see you AFD. I know you have your hands full, but DN, this guy is a wealth of information. Hope you stop in on a frequent basis!!