2 Punters on Scholly?

superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

So we are going to grey shirt a DL and keep 2 punters on scholly. Would not be surprised to see us pick up another grad transfer during the summer and let one the punters go...

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m guesing that’ll happen sometime toward the end of fall camp

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Camarda expected to be the starter this year?

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 29

I would say Camarda will be the odds on favorite to win the job, as maybe the top punter coming out of high school last year. Marshall Long has been hurt and was not overly impressive in the limited time he has played. Has he gotten much better? Kirby and staff have done a GREAT job managing the roster, but to ask a DL to greyshirt so you can keep 2 punters on scholly seems kinda strange. Thus, I think something else may be in the works.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ Junior

@superdawg said:
    I would say Camarda will be the odds on favorite to win the job, as maybe the top punter coming out of high school last year. Marshall Long has been hurt and was not overly impressive in the limited time he has played. Has he gotten much better? Kirby and staff have done a GREAT job managing the roster, but to ask a DL to greyshirt so you can keep 2 punters on scholly seems kinda strange. Thus, I think something else may be in the works.

Are you saying that Kirby might kick himself later for keeping two punters on scholly? ;)

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 29

@superdawg , @Kasey , & @FirePlugDawg I believe that HC CKS is showing all of us perhaps a few things that have NEVER even been seen before at Georgia!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ Junior

No later than 1 July each year, FBS programs must notify student-athletes in writing whether or not their scholarship will be renewed for another year (as most scholarships are 1-year renewables at the discretion of the program). Therefore, it's possible that a current player could have their scholarship renewed, but remain with the team as a walk-on player (with the hope of earning back a scholarship as inevitable attrition occurs). If they are a Georgia resident with a core GPA >3.0 then perhaps they would qualify for the HOPE Scholarship. Also, as former walk-on Rodrigo Blankenship's father articulated a year ago, some training table meals are available to help defray expenses. However, lodging/utilities/other COA expenses would be out of pocket. For a student-athlete from a middle- or upper class family they could probably handle this financial burden.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

@FirePlugDawg said:

@superdawg said:

Are you saying that Kirby might kick himself later for keeping two punters on scholly? ;)

I see what you did there. Took me a minute, but I think I get it now. Good one!

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 7

Another punter (grad transfer) to join team: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/murray-state-graduate-transfer-announces-commitment-to-georgia
    Always averaged +40 yards.
    Guess he'll be a PWO?
    Future looks bright with Camarda and now with Stratton. Long still recovering , I guess. (G-Day punting looked shaky to me, but Camarda hasn't enrolled yet.)

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Another punter (grad transfer) to join team: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/murray-state-graduate-transfer-announces-commitment-to-georgia
    Always averaged +40 yards.
    Guess he'll be a PWO?
    Future looks bright with Camarda and now with Stratton. Long still recovering , I guess. (G-Day punting looked shaky to me, but Camarda hasn't enrolled yet.)

I'm sure it's as a walk on. Smart probably didn't like what he saw on G-day, even though Camarda isn't there yet, and should start. Barring this guy beating him out.

@Teddy said:
    ... Smart probably didn't like what he saw on G-day, even though Camarda isn't there yet, and should start. Barring this guy beating him out.

My thinking exactly.

Either way, we've got to keep our punting-as-an-advantage that CKS has instilled. Flipping the field really saved us last year in some games.

What makes UGA attractive for punters? Must be more than luck.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the intense roster management that CKS has going on nowadays at Georgia??? I highly doubt the DAWGS carry TWO punters on scholarship going into the season. There will only be one.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He got this boy to help with competition with Camarda. Very similar how Smart brought Marvin in for Hot Rod last year. It’s all about having competition at every position. The more bodies at each position creates more competition. This shows how much special teams matter.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn’t be shocked if he was on scholarship and Long announces his intention to transfer soon. Total speculation by me though

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    SEC football and southern women> @FirePlugDawg said:

What makes UGA attractive for punters? Must be more than luck.

SEC Football and Coeds

Huh. You don't think there are no lookers at Murray State?

@Kasey said:
    Wouldn’t be shocked if he was on scholarship and Long announces his intention to transfer soon. Total speculation by me though

According to Nick Krueger’s article on DawgNation, Stratton is most likely a walk-on as it appears he signed with Houston Baptist in April.

Take that for what it’s worth, though – The same article states that “[w]alk-on Bill Rubright and walk-on Bill Rubright both punted during the G-Day game.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/murray-state-graduate-transfer-announces-commitment-to-georgia

@Kasey said:

Wondered same thing...

@DirtDawg said:

@Kasey said:

According to Nick Krueger’s article on DawgNation, Stratton is most likely a walk-on as it appears he signed with Houston Baptist in April.

Take that for what it’s worth, though – The same article states that “[w]alk-on Bill Rubright and walk-on Bill Rubright both punted during the G-Day game.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/murray-state-graduate-transfer-announces-commitment-to-georgia

Guys, doncha know that Kirby has perfected cloning? Shown here is the last step: ensuring the right helmet fit:

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dang

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BullyDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Wondered same thing...

Long transfers or goes to PWO status, Camarda is the ONLY scholly punter...we instantly have room for another grad transfer at another position, that will open up another scholly for next years class at years end....

In a perfect world, CKS uses @FirePlugDawg 's clone contraption on Cam Nizelak (sp?) from now until the end of time. Really, is that too much to ask?

• donmdonm Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DirtDawg said:
    In a perfect world, CKS uses @FirePlugDawg 's clone contraption on Cam Nizelak (sp?) from now until the end of time. Really, is that too much to ask?

I’d wait til I see Camarda punt...might not need a Nizelak clone.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 421 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@DirtDawg said:

I’d wait til I see Camarda punt...might not need a Nizelak clone.

Success to the prepared. What if camrada like long hair himself year one. Kirby all prepared. "What if" No mulligans to greatness.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Long just never lived up to his name. The others are squibs, and this transfer is a long-shot. However, Camarda will drop in nicely this Summer, even if the others are still hanging in Athens.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is Long still on scholly?

I’m wondering how the numbers are shaping based on recent events.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Is Long still on scholly?

I’m wondering how the numbers are shaping based on recent events.

Seems like it would be medical disqualification allowing UGA to still give him a free ride and hopefully fix his knee post football

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 271 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have plenty of scholarships at this point.