2019 QB Justin Fomby

Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kid is 6'5 190 with a long delivery but strong arm. Has some athleticism as well, I think would be a great developmental guy, and somebody who has good upside if developed. I think this is right in our wheel house to follow up Jake and Justin. I heard Cooley is seeing this kid soon. Also that Clemson is wanting to visit with the kid too.

We definitely need a QB this year I wonder how much traction we get with this one.

Anybody else know anything about this kid?? Saw he transferred from Brookwood to Central Gwinnett.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 7

I don't know any more except that Rivals show him as being Dual, while the others show him Pro. I am in the latter camp (for all I know about this). He has an offer from Missouri and some lower tier schools. If UGA gets him on board, I would like to learn how he was overlooked - late bloomer or just a miss? He has done well enough at a few showcase camps to start getting attention. I presume the switch to central Gwinnett is to have credibility in a higher compete level (more A's)

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is he going to have to camp this summer?

I like those measurables and he has to like the depth chart at Georgia better than Clemson

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

I like those measurables and he has to like the depth chart at Georgia better than Clemson

I don't know if UGA is in the position to require a QB to camp... but who knows. I think you want him to camp but you definitely let it be known that he has a developmental ability and redshirting and playing behind 2 guys that you have similar attributes to might be the only selling point we can provide. And yes, I have a feeling Clemson will get some transfer QBs coming as TL begins to force his way into more and more playing time.

@FirePlugDawg said:
    I don't know any more except that Rivals show him as being Dual, while the others show him Pro. I am in the latter camp (for all I know about this). He has an offer from Missouri and some lower tier schools. If UGA gets him on board, I would like to learn how he was overlooked - late bloomer or just a miss? He has done well enough at a few showcase camps to start getting attention. I presume the switch to central Gwinnett is to have credibility in a higher compete level (more A's)

That's interesting. I thought Brookwood had a better record and it would be 6A vs 7A which from a Gwinnett county school perspective isn't as big of a deal in my mind. But I agree I would like to see how he slipped through the cracks or was he just a late bloomer.

Don't forget Justin Fields blew up late. Even though I don't think this kid is anywhere close to Justin Fields.

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@Jinx55 said:

@Kasey said:

I don't know if UGA is in the position to require a QB to camp... but who knows. I think you want him to camp but you definitely let it be known that he has a developmental ability and redshirting and playing behind 2 guys that you have similar attributes to might be the only selling point we can provide. And yes, I have a feeling Clemson will get some transfer QBs coming as TL begins to force his way into more and more playing time.

I believe he will will camp along with K.J. Jefferson, Jaden Johnson, Joey Yellen, David Baldwin, Zach Calzada, and Jacob Zeno.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He will probably camp a couple times at Georgia this summer. At the very least be at Georgia for a 7 on 7 with his Central Gwinnett team.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,502 admin

Fomby is talented. But he was set to be in a battle to win the starting job outright at Brookwood. He decided to transfer to Central Gwinnett.

And he's picked up major recruiting attention accordingly.

@JeffSentell said:
    Fomby is talented. But he was set to be in a battle to win the starting job outright at Brookwood. He decided to transfer to Central Gwinnett.

Same situation as Calzada, correct?

• Atlanta_DawgAtlanta_Dawg Posts: 89 ✭✭ Sophomore

we could just give stetson a scholarship??? he looks pretty good

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Atlanta_Dawg said:

I agree and I don’t want him playing any games that we’re not up by 21 with 3 minutes to go in 4th. We need another QB as well.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Atlanta_Dawg said:

wouldn’t make sense to bc he is the same year as Jake Fromm so he won’t ever be the starter versus one of these guys who are younger

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Developmental QB’s don’t sound like Kirby’s gig. Just don’t see Kirby giving even Matthew Stafford a season and a half of on-field game time to develop and become a dominant quarterback like Richt did.

I see Kirby more in the model of, who cares if Blake Barnett is the much better long term option? Jalen Hurts is able to go out there today and make the decisions today...

But if Fields doesn’t transfer, what’s the earliest he could go NFL? Isn’t it after the 2019, before the 2020 season? With Fromm and Fields both so young in the UGA QB room, 2019 sounds like one of the few classes it makes sense for Kirby to take a development QB project on. Most years, I bet he’s looking for someone more in the polished mold of Fields or Fromm than the raw talent molds of Eason or Barnett.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@brentwilson said:

@Atlanta_Dawg said:

wouldn’t make sense to bc he is the same year as Jake Fromm so he won’t ever be the starter versus one of these guys who are younger

Unless fromm or fields gets injured, which is the entire point of having a third string QB

Fomby won the MVP QB at the Nashville Rivals 3 Stripe Campl but Bo Nix, Auburn commit Dual, who was there too got an invite to the Rivals Challenge, which I suppose is the next higher level. ?? I guess that Fomby doesn't yet have the rep that other QBs have. Scout shows him as #91 with 3 stars. The first link is pretty rah-rah Just sayin'

https://n.rivals.com/news/prospects-that-earned-their-stripes-at-rivals-3-stripe-camp-in-nashville

https://scout.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=GA

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 16

Per @Chip_Towers, CKS recently offered Stetson a scholly after Stetson said he intended to transfer. Stetson is home, mulling his options.
    Source: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-stetson-bennett-transfer-importance

• ShulaShula Posts: 342 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man UGA needs to offer Calzada. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was a top 5 qb at the elite 11 finals

@Shula said:
    Man UGA needs to offer Calzada. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was a top 5 qb at the elite 11 finals

Fomby beat out Calzada in Nashville as well. He was there with Bo Nix. Hey, man, Justin Fomby HAS the initials!

https://n.rivals.com/news/prospects-that-earned-their-stripes-at-rivals-3-stripe-camp-in-nashville

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JeffSentell said:

What sort of recruiting attention are you referring to? My interpretation of your post is that Fomby is leaving to avoid competition.

@andrews1253 said:

@JeffSentell said:

What sort of recruiting attention are you referring to? My interpretation of your post is that Fomby is leaving to avoid competition.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Shula said:

Fomby beat out Calzada in Nashville as well. He was there with Bo Nix. Hey, man, Justin Fomby HAS the initials!

@Shula said:

For what it’s worth, both Calzada and Fomby transferred to their respective schools this offseason and it has worked out well for them. A lot goes into a decision to transfer at a high school level.

Have no idea what it means but I was on Chris Hinton's Tweeter page and saw that he retweeted the tweet on Justin Fomby winning the Nashville Rivals QB MVP

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Have no idea what it means but I was on Chris Hinton's Tweeter page and saw that he retweeted the tweet on Justin Fomby winning the Nashville Rivals QB MVP

Maybe they know one another from the camp circuit. Can’t imagine him going to Michigan for all the QBs they have and a coach in turmoil.

@Jinx55 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Maybe they know one another from the camp circuit. Can’t imagine him going to Michigan for all the QBs they have and a coach in turmoil.

I doubt they traveled in the same camp circuit. Hinton is UP THERE and Fomby being a late bloomer is way over there. I think the Rivals Nashville deal was the most prestigious shot he has had.

As I've said top talent knows top talent. In Tom Callahan's bio of Johnny Unitas (Johnny U) he reports (from my memory) that Unitas was at a NFL all star practice. The players were told to separate with the 1st team over here and the 2nd team/others over there. Slowly the players got separated. Callahan said that the deal was that the coach had not posted who was 1st team.

Justin Fomby's spring 2018 Central Gwinnett video courtesy of Trent Smallwood's Twitter acct. Oh, did I mention this? He HAS the initials!

https://hudl.com/video/3/6242110/5b004b43578d32061442b726

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Justin Fomby's spring 2018 Central Gwinnett video courtesy of Trent Smallwood's Twitter acct. Oh, did I mention this? He HAS the initials!

I heard he was impressive. I’m sure an offer will be coming soon

@Jinx55 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I heard he was impressive. I’m sure an offer will be coming soon

He'll be in next week (not next weekend, Smallwood clarified):

https://twitter.com/SmallwoodTrent/status/1004522174357614592

edited June 8

@JeffSentell said:

247sports reports that The Ohio State U is interested. If The offers, then that takes it to a 'ho 'nother level.

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Fomby-46053819

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JeffSentell said:

247sports reports that The Ohio State U is interested. If The offers, then that takes it to a 'ho 'nother level.

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Fomby-46053819

He is really starting to catch schools eye. Uga was on him pretty early so that helps

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Shula said:

@FirePlugDawg That IS SO TRUE!

• ShulaShula Posts: 342 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 9

@christopherules said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Shula said:

@FirePlugDawg That IS SO TRUE!

There is also a reason one has 40 offers and one has 3 offers.