Wide Receiver Recruits

ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA Didn't make the top 10 for Zion Puckett but weirdly enough made the top 6 for Marcus Washington.

Comments

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭ Junior

That is quite strange. I really am interested in how we're doing with Jalani Williams. I heard that Lanning has connections in the STL.

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 208 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's got to be one of are most crowded position groups, not even included the Top 2 in the nation enrolling next year. I'm sure its tough to convince a kid to commit to that / not be picky when it comes to sending out commitable offers

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think haslewood gets iffy going down the stretch, I believe some serious negative recruiting going on about how we only run the ball

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Thelordjohnson said:
    UGA Didn't make the top 10 for Zion Puckett but weirdly enough made the top 6 for Marcus Washington.

I agree, I was expecting him to have UGA high. And it seems like the Marcus kid is just throwing uga in there to even out his options. When was the last time he was on campus?? And where is he on the list??

The saving grace is I’m sure Cortez and Kirby are all in on the two committed kids. You get those and anybody else is icing

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgy10 said:
    I think haslewood gets iffy going down the stretch, I believe some serious negative recruiting going on about how we only run the ball

Perhaps, but our passing stats are almost identical to Bama and they don’t have a problem reeling in top WRs. Calvin Ridley only averaged 1.5 more receptions per game than Wimms (Wimms actually had more TDs). We definitely are a run-first team...but I think the WRs are going to get plenty of work over the next few years. We are on the verge of being a team averaging 45+ points per game.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tiger_62082 said:
    That is quite strange. I really am interested in how we're doing with Jalani Williams. I heard that Lanning has connections in the STL.

I would believe he should coming from a Memphis program (STL is 3.5 hours away). But you never know. Zion also cant be counted out unless he commits soon.

As for Haselwood he is all dawg. There wont be any swaying of the heart.

@Thelordjohnson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I would believe he should coming from a Memphis program (STL is 3.5 hours away). But you never know. Zion also cant be counted out unless he commits soon.

I'm not sure if Zion is being recduited by Georgia as a DB or WR; however, I think it's the former.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 417 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgy10 said:

I do believe we’re going to have to be 40-45% pass with some explosive plays this year to keep Haslewood. Good news we have the QBs and OL to make this easier.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I'm not sure if Zion is being recduited by Georgia as a DB or WR; however, I think it's the former.

I believe it’s DB

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I believe it’s DB

Indeed

• ShulaShula Posts: 110 ✭✭ Sophmore

Not to worried about it with the guys we have got on board now.

• tkeever0124tkeever0124 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

@dawgy10 said:

That negative recruiting only works if we run it as much as last year. Our passing numbers increased as the season went on and the coaches felt more comfortable with Fromm. That won’t be an issue this year and I see the Dawgs being much more balanced for the entirety of the season....outside of the cupcakes of course.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 324 ✭✭✭ Junior

@tkeever0124 said:

@dawgy10 said:

That negative recruiting only works if we run it as much as last year. Our passing numbers increased as the season went on and the coaches felt more comfortable with Fromm. That won’t be an issue this year and I see the Dawgs being much more balanced for the entirety of the season....outside of the cupcakes of course.

As to the cupcakes, with the 2nd team OL being so strong and RB depth, UGA should score pretty liberally with the 2nd team in. In other words, UGA should be able to run up the scores like Bammer did last year. That should impress the impressionable as long as its conference games are strong performances. Might help if there is turmoil in other conferences as to post season selections.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do you think for Zion Puckett, it might have something to do with a realistic evaluation of where he would fit at Georgia.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Per Jeff’s article, academics are a big pull and I think he wants to play WR

• donmdonm Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@tkeever0124 said:

@dawgy10 said:

As to the cupcakes, with the 2nd team OL being so strong and RB depth, UGA should score pretty liberally with the 2nd team in. In other words, UGA should be able to run up the scores like Bammer did last year. That should impress the impressionable as long as its conference games are strong performances. Might help if there is turmoil in other conferences as to post season selections.

If we have big leads, are we not more likely to just run the ball and run out the clock, which would limit the # of passes that are thrown, especially in the 2nd half? Of course, passes may well help us get those large leads.

@tkeever0124 said:

@dawgy10 said:

UGA - 258 ypg rushing (#1 SEC), 176 ypg passing (#12 SEC)
    Bama - 250 ypg rushing (#3 SEC), 193 ypg passing (#9 SEC)

I don't think our rushing stats are going to effect how WRs feel about UGA. This is the Bama formula...and they have no problem landing top WRs. If it was about passing stats, teams like WAZZU, Oki St, TT and Mizzou would be hoarding all the top WRs.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Academics are a big pull, indeed; however, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee & South Carolina are on that list while Georgia Tech is not. I know Texas A&M has good academics, but is it THAT much better than Georgia? Miami? Ohio State certainly isn’t on Michigan’s level. Seems like it’s a combination of a kid who wants to get out of state & is interested in some great schools

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 324 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@tkeever0124 said:

@dawgy10 said:

If we have big leads, are we not more likely to just run the ball and run out the clock, which would limit the # of passes that are thrown, especially in the 2nd half? Of course, passes may well help us get those large leads.

If our 2nd team OL is strong as we think it is, then these runs will be very productive, and will result in more points. That is my contention.

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Academics are a big pull, indeed; however, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee & South Carolina are on that list while Georgia Tech is not. I know Texas A&M has good academics, but is it THAT much better than Georgia? Miami? Ohio State certainly isn’t on Michigan’s level. Seems like it’s a combination of a kid who wants to get out of state & is interested in some great schools

Academics is the most absurd attraction for any top football recruit. Most top players leave after 3 years. Seriously, how many actually stay for their senior year and get their degree (Murray, Chubb and Michel are not the norm)? Why doesn't Vandy or Stanford ever get a 5-star player looking for academics? The whole "I want a school with great academics" is all for mama. I know graduation rates for scholarship athletes is increasing overall, but I'd like to see a study on 5-star recruits (or even guys rated in the Top 100 of their class) and how many of them graduate. The overall NCAA numbers are skewed because the huge majority of scholarship athletes do not get drafted (declaring for the NFL early is not an option). I'd bet Top 100 players have a significantly lower graduation rate.

• donmdonm Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Academics is the most absurd attraction for any top football recruit. Most top players leave after 3 years. Seriously, how many actually stay for their senior year and get their degree (Murray, Chubb and Michel are not the norm)? Why doesn't Vandy or Stanford ever get a 5-star player looking for academics? The whole "I want a school with great academics" is all for mama. I know graduation rates for scholarship athletes is increasing overall, but I'd like to see a study on 5-star recruits (or even guys rated in the Top 100 of their class) and how many of them graduate. The overall NCAA numbers are skewed because the huge majority of scholarship athletes do not get drafted (declaring for the NFL early is not an option). I'd bet Top 100 players have a significantly lower graduation rate.

That would be an interesting research project for someone with more time on his/her hands than me..

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 368 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

Think our 2nd string offense will pass more often than usual in order to get Fields and some of our young WRs some experience, especially if Fields isn’t get regular series with the 1st team.

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Don't get me wrong: academic prestige is a pull for some kids. Stanford's success on the field & on the recruiting trail under Bill Walsh, Harbaugh, and Shaw is a testament to that. Bryce Love could've gone pro but he stayed in school. Grant Hill & Shane Battier went to Duke for athletics & academics. Kyle Hamilton chose Notre Dame because of its rigorous requirements. People got angry with Josh Rosen for his comments, but I think he's dead on most if qhat he said. With that being said, I do think a lot of kids who state academics as a factor in choosing certain schools don't fall into this group. Certainly, Zion, no disrespect intended, is not laser focused on books when half of his list is the wau yhat it is.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 15

Things I know from Zion Pucketts list:
    *His degree is obviously in something non business related.
    *As Sentell reported UGA only calls every once in a while and he only visited once in 9th grade.
    * ND, STAN, TA&M, OSU, DUKE, and TENN all have good engineer programs.
    * TENN was his first scholarship offer.
    * He said Corner will be his primary college position but wants to try both sides initially and thats something Auburn, OSU, STAN have a history of allowing.

Some schools won't allow football players to be in certain degree programs. There is a kid at South Dakota St who is a close family friend who was recruited by Nebraska (the kid killed it in Nebraska HS ball). He wants to be a a doctor but they wouldn't let him do pre-med. SDSU said no problem. He's they guy who broke off that long TD run against TCU a couple of years ago ( I think it was the play of the day on ESPN). Oh yes, we gave him plenty of crap for the early celebration...

http://broadband.espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17460245