Whatever happened to D'Marcus Hayes?

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dude is a beast -- 6'5" and 315 lbs. Came to us as the #2 JUCO OL prospect.
He's now a senior, and he's never cracked the two-deep.
What happened?

Comments

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sam Pittman and his recruiting prowess.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve said it before, I’ll never know how Hayes as an early enrollee AND a juco guy couldn’t beat out Andrew Thomas who showed up in June.

Makes me thinks he has a Dyshon Sims ceiling at this level

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good question. I had honestly foegotten about him.

• donmdonm Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    I’ve said it before, I’ll never know how Hayes as an early enrollee AND a juco guy couldn’t beat out Andrew Thomas who showed up in June.

Might be because AT is pretty good and DH isn’t as good. Plus if they are = ( which I don’t believe they are) the younger guy plays. Does seem like he never really got into the flow of things at UGA.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Might be because AT is pretty good and DH isn’t as good. Plus if they are = ( which I don’t believe they are) the younger guy plays. Does seem like he never really got into the flow of things at UGA.

oh I'm sure Andrew Thomas is better, but I thought an older guy with more experience would've won the battle, I was wrong

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Dude is a beast -- 6'5" and 315 lbs. Came to us as the #2 JUCO OL prospect.
    He's now a senior, and he's never cracked the two-deep.
    What happened?

Apparently he isn’t as good as the coaches hoped. Especially if they’re shifting Baker over to get reps as the backup left tackle. Seems he’s a 3rd team tackle as of now. But yeah, not much news on him.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like more often than not this is what happens with Jucco players. There has been some that have worked and maybe I’m wrong.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Javon Wims was a juco recruit that panned out big time

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 293 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake Ganus wasn’t a juco but transferred from UAB and lead the team in tackles in his one season.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 15

WR Ahkil Crumpton is a JUCO transfer from L.A. that's contributing.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

It appears that CKS and company are using JUCO and graduate transfers to fill out roster depth rather than relying on them as starters. I agree with @donm -- if two players are graded similarly by this staff, game time goes to the younger player. All the better if the staff lucks out on a transfer as it did with Javon Wims, but more than likely the transfers like D’Marcus Hayes will be used as “iron that sharpens iron.” It’ll be interesting to see if either of the recent graduate transfers, Jay Hayes or Landon Stratton, compete for playing time.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JRT812 said:
    Seems like more often than not this is what happens with Jucco players. There has been some that have worked and maybe I’m wrong.

Leonard Floyd

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MODawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Leonard Floyd

He turned out OK...

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

Floyd was not a JUCO player. He signed with UGA but failed to qualify so he went to Hargrave Military Academy (prep school) for a year. UGA has not had much luck with JUCO guys. I remember that Odell Collins was supposed to be the next big thing but never panned out.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

Best JUCOs that I remember--Kendrell Bell, John Jenkins, Javon Wims out of more than 25 signed in the last 20 years.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 482 ✭✭✭ Junior

He still on scholly, forgot about as well. What role will he have this year. I know last yr a redshirt so he has 2 years still to play.
    I never say Lamont Galliards future at one point.

• PigeonsPigeons Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MODawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Leonard Floyd

You're not implying LF was a JUCO transfer are you?