Stetson

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unless he believes he's the next coming of Drew Brees, I don't get the transfer idea. I'd take the degree from UGA . Set up good for life after football. IMO.

Comments

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If this is about Stetson Bennett is there word he is looking to transfer?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson is a DGD, but has little to no hope in the NFL. If wants to play, transfer. If he wants a another championship ring, stay.....

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t blame the kid for leaving. I’d hate to lose him but would understand

• donmdonm Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 15

He’s got a great opportunity to learn offenses and if he has any interest in a coaching career, this could be great prep for him

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just can't wrap my head around transferring to play at a college whose degree doesn't carry the same clout as UGA's does.

@ugaforever said:
    I just can't wrap my head around transferring to play at a college whose degree doesn't carry the same clout as UGA's does.

He wants to play. It’s pretty straightforward I think.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

During the G-Day game, I’m pretty sure they said he weighs 172. I heard that and lost all sympathy for him being 3rd string.

I’d still love to see him get some playing time. But I don’t think he’s completely serious about the game. Otherwise he’d have bulked up.

My guess is he’s not really serious about transferring.

But we’ll see.

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huh? He's all DAWG.

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

8 Months ago -- they put those keys too close together.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is he on scholarship? For some reason I thought he was a walk-on.

@pgjackson said:

He’s a walk on who’s on academic scholarship. During his recruitment, think I remember he had athletic scholarship offers to like Yale and be their starting quarterback. He decided to go to an elite football school on academic scholarship rather than an elite academic school on football scholarship.

@levander said:
    During the G-Day game, I’m pretty sure they said he weighs 172. I heard that and lost all sympathy for him being 3rd string.

I’d still love to see him get some playing time. But I don’t think he’s completely serious about the game. Otherwise he’d have bulked up.

My guess is he’s not really serious about transferring.

But we’ll see.

That is an interesting point. At 6' tall...175lbs is entirely too light for a SEC QB. He should be up around 200. My guess is if we get to the point where we need him all he's going to do is hand off.

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

He’s a walk on who’s on academic scholarship. During his recruitment, think I remember he had athletic scholarship offers to like Yale and be their starting quarterback. He decided to go to an elite football school on academic scholarship rather than an elite academic school on football scholarship.

That is interesting. I think that is a good call. Dude has an SEC Championship ring already. That alone will get you a ton of job offers in the state of Georgia after graduation.

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

That is interesting. I think that is a good call. Dude has an SEC Championship ring already. That alone will get you a ton of job offers in the state of Georgia after graduation.

I think the whole Ivy League thing is overblown. The most impressive thing about it is what it says about you if you meet the entrance requirements. But as far as being there, teaching undergraduates is not what’s motivating Ivy League professors. They’re not showing up for your ECON 202 lecture just dying to shoot their bells off by giving such a great,lecture that you just... And if you’re gonna move up North for school, then come back home, it’s gonna be hard to,leverage any contacts you made,up there.

Only way I’d encourage someone to go Ivy League is if money is not an issue due to wealth or scholarship, or for graduate studies where you want a career in academia, etc..

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

I think the whole Ivy League thing is overblown. The most impressive thing about it is what it says about you if you meet the entrance requirements. But as far as being there, teaching undergraduates is not what’s motivating Ivy League professors. They’re not showing up for your ECON 202 lecture just dying to shoot their bells off by giving such a great,lecture that you just... And if you’re gonna move up North for school, then come back home, it’s gonna be hard to,leverage any contacts you made,up there.

Only way I’d encourage someone to go Ivy League is if money is not an issue due to wealth or scholarship, or for graduate studies where you want a career in academia, etc..

Plus, the Ivy League is basically a far-left Communist school system. Tell an employer in Atlanta that you graduated from Harvard or Yale or Columbia, that probably isn't going to carry a lot of weight.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

Plus, the Ivy League is basically a far-left Communist school system. Tell an employer in Atlanta that you graduated from Harvard or Yale or Columbia, that probably isn't going to carry a lot of weight.

Depends on where you’re from. If you’re from a wealthy area within a city, you probably already have plenty of “business contacts” just from growing up there. Regardless, saying that an Ivy League education won’t give you the same leg up as a UGA one in Georgia is ludicrous. Atlanta is a transient city, and many people that live there are not from Georgia. Also, an employer would be a complete moron to consider the prospective employee’s school’s political leanings when making a hire. Many of the finance guys in NYC are Ivy League grads, you think those dudes are all “commies”....?

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@christopherules said:
    Huh? He's all DAWG.

@Chip_Towers reporting that "Bennett met this week with coach Kirby Smart to advise him of his intent to transfer."
    Link: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-stetson-bennett-transfer-importance

• ZeebodawgZeebodawg Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Former athletes would all understand nothing beats playing gameday... I can't even be upset if he wants to leave #DGD

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

Depends on where you’re from. If you’re from a wealthy area within a city, you probably already have plenty of “business contacts” just from growing up there. Regardless, saying that an Ivy League education won’t give you the same leg up as a UGA one in Georgia is ludicrous. Atlanta is a transient city, and many people that live there are not from Georgia. Also, an employer would be a complete moron to consider the prospective employee’s school’s political leanings when making a hire. Many of the finance guys in NYC are Ivy League grads, you think those dudes are all “commies”....?

I don’t know how bad the politic leanings of the Ivy League are. If they’re as bad as pgjackson is saying, I think it’d make an excellent documentary I’d love to watch.

But a person’s beliefs says something about them. If I were interviewing someone from the far left for a job, Ikd be worried about how individually motivated they were to produce results on their own. Much like if I were interviewing someone from the far right, I’d be worried about their individual motivation to be part of a team and be willing to take hits for the team, even if they knew what the team was doing wasn’t the best way to be doing things...

It’s entirely prudent to be worried about someonody’d political beliefs when you’re hiring somebody, even if what you’re doing has nothing to do with politics.

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

I don’t know how bad the politic leanings of the Ivy League are. If they’re as bad as pgjackson is saying, I think it’d make an excellent documentary I’d love to watch.

But a person’s beliefs says something about them. If I were interviewing someone from the far left for a job, Ikd be worried about how individually motivated they were to produce results on their own. Much like if I were interviewing someone from the far right, I’d be worried about their individual motivation to be part of a team and be willing to take hits for the team, even if they knew what the team was doing wasn’t the best way to be doing things...

It’s entirely prudent to be worried about someonody’d political beliefs when you’re hiring somebody, even if what you’re doing has nothing to do with politics.

That is all well and fine, but we aren’t talking about the political beliefs of the individual, we’re talking about the political leanings of the I y League schools as institutions. I think it’s crazy to consider the individual to have the same political beliefs as the the reputation of the school’s academics have.

@umooner said:

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

That is all well and fine, but we aren’t talking about the political beliefs of the individual, we’re talking about the political leanings of the I y League schools as institutions. I think it’s crazy to consider the individual to have the same political beliefs as the the reputation of the school’s academics have.

pg referred to it as a school system. Systems produce results. And a far-left Communist school system would produce far left Communists...

I’m not saying pg is right. I am saying you should try to understand people before you go declaring them all wrong about something. Because there are obvious giant holes in your understanding of what he said. If you felt compelled to respond, you would have sounded a lot better by asking about rather than condemning. And if pg is some kind of anti-acedmic bigot, it would have become a lot more obvious before turning it into a pissing match.

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

pg referred to it as a school system. Systems produce results. And a far-left Communist school system would produce far left Communists...

I’m not saying pg is right. I am saying you should try to understand people before you go declaring them all wrong about something. Because there are obvious giant holes in your understanding of what he said. If you felt compelled to respond, you would have sounded a lot better by asking about rather than condemning. And if pg is some kind of anti-acedmic bigot, it would have become a lot more obvious before turning it into a pissing match.

I just think it’s a hot take backed by no evidence.

http://time.com/money/4364104/top-colleges-fortune-500-ceos/

Three Ivy League schools are on that list, and I don’t think too many American CEO’s are communists. Your attempt at further explaining his argument does not improve it. Big corporations do not think that way.

To further explain, while someone who goes to Harvard to major in philosophy might be more likely to become a “communist”, someone that goes to an Ivy League school with the intent to go into business, assuming they graduate, should have no problem getting a job. No one hiring in their right mind is going to even consider that they’re a far-left communist or socialist just because they went to an Ivy League school. There’s nothing personal about this, it’s just a bad argument. I assure you that plenty of wealthy right wing businessmen in Buckhead went to Ivy League schools and would be happy to hire a Georgia boy/girl who did too.

Good gravy guys. Perhaps the COmmunist term was a bit strong. Nothing to get all work up about. My point is I don’t think Ivy League schools have as much clout in the south as they do elsewhere.

@pgjackson said:
    Good gravy guys. Perhaps the COmmunist term was a bit strong. Nothing to get all work up about. My point is I don’t think Ivy League schools have as much clout in the south as they do elsewhere.

This is probably true, and you can definitely make connections at any big state school that set you up for later. Also, whoever said that Ivy professors are more concerned with research is probably right most of the time, but you don’t get a whole lot of personal attention at a big school like UGA either.

The main point I would make is that Stetson might not want to live in Georgia or the south his whole life and getting an Ivy League education does give one a certain prestige.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying to remember the last time I cared where the person I was interviewing went to school. Can't.

@umooner said:

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

@levander said:

@pgjackson said:

I just think it’s a hot take backed by no evidence.

http://time.com/money/4364104/top-colleges-fortune-500-ceos/

Three Ivy League schools are on that list, and I don’t think too many American CEO’s are communists. Your attempt at further explaining his argument does not improve it. Big corporations do not think that way.

To further explain, while someone who goes to Harvard to major in philosophy might be more likely to become a “communist”, someone that goes to an Ivy League school with the intent to go into business, assuming they graduate, should have no problem getting a job. No one hiring in their right mind is going to even consider that they’re a far-left communist or socialist just because they went to an Ivy League school. There’s nothing personal about this, it’s just a bad argument. I assure you that plenty of wealthy right wing businessmen in Buckhead went to Ivy League schools and would be happy to hire a Georgia boy/girl who did too.

You’r e really stuck on proving the worth of Ivy League schools. But you’re not doing a very good job. Showing a few people came out and became CEO’s just means it’s possible to have someone come out of an Ivy League school to contribute at your business. It doesn’t mean it’s likely.

And you come off like you didn’t even read your own article you posted a link to. It doesn’t say that there are three Ivy League schools on the list. It says that there are four. It says there are three schools known for their elite technology and computer science programs.

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

This is probably true, and you can definitely make connections at any big state school that set you up for later. Also, whoever said that Ivy professors are more concerned with research is probably right most of the time, but you don’t get a whole lot of personal attention at a big school like UGA either.

The main point I would make is that Stetson might not want to live in Georgia or the south his whole life and getting an Ivy League education does give one a certain prestige.

The point people are making that you don’t me understand is that that “prestige” is only useful in certain scenarios. What I do for a living is I write software. And people who have spent too much time in academia have almost always been a let down when I worked with them. I worked with one guy who went to Carnegie Mellon who was above average. But the rest of them, it was just like, “hell, what do we do with this guy”? And really, one thing I’ve noticed is a lot of the best guys I,worked with didn’t even finish college. My theory is college acts like a filter toward getting into the industry I’m in. And if you can get through the filter without a,college,degree, you probably are,pretty **** good. And yeah, I’ve been in the position where I’ve had to hire people (I try to avoid it, my philosophy is use what you’ve got), people without college degrees go to the top of my resume stack.

You’re not looking deep enough at reality and are paying too much attention to what you see in movies if you’re just looking at it like Ivy League = prestige. And you are probably watching a movie made to impress a rich Hollywood exec who’s daddy paid for him to go Ivy League.

@levander said:

@umooner said:

@pgjackson said:

The point people are making that you don’t me understand is that that “prestige” is only useful in certain scenarios. What I do for a living is I write software. And people who have spent too much time in academia have almost always been a let down when I worked with them. I worked with one guy who went to Carnegie Mellon who was above average. But the rest of them, it was just like, “hell, what do we do with this guy”? And really, one thing I’ve noticed is a lot of the best guys I,worked with didn’t even finish college. My theory is college acts like a filter toward getting into the industry I’m in. And if you can get through the filter without a,college,degree, you probably are,pretty **** good. And yeah, I’ve been in the position where I’ve had to hire people (I try to avoid it, my philosophy is use what you’ve got), people without college degrees go to the top of my resume stack.

You’re not looking deep enough at reality and are paying too much attention to what you see in movies if you’re just looking at it like Ivy League = prestige. And you are probably watching a movie made to impress a rich Hollywood exec who’s daddy paid for him to go Ivy League.

I'm not arguing the actual worth of a degree, but you're coming at this with completely anecdotal evidence. Software development, and the engineering and technology fields in general, are fields that are much more about one's actual skill set. This is a positive thing about those fields. Business in general is as much about who you know as what you know, and I'm telling you, that if you go to an Ivy League school for business, with the intent of going into business, you are set up for success through your alumni base. I'm not arguing that this is a good thing, but this does exist. His major is management, not software engineering or computer science.

This argument has gone all over the place though. The original point made was that Ivy League schools were overrated and that many businesses might not want to hire an Ivy League grad because those schools supposedly have "communist leanings". I still think that's a ridiculous argument. If Stetson Bennett wants to go get an Ivy League education, I do not think that it is completely overrated or that he would be better off just staying at UGA, although he could absolutely be just as successful with a degree from UGA. I'd like Stetson to stay too, but I'm not going to fault him for wanting to go to an Ivy League school if that's what he wants to do. There is added value in getting a degree from Princeton or Harvard.

I'm not arguing the actual worth of a degree, but you're coming at this with completely anecdotal evidence. Software development, and the engineering and technology fields in general, are fields that are much more about one's actual skill set. This is a positive thing about those fields. Business in general is as much about who you know as what you know, and I'm telling you, that if you go to an Ivy League school for business, with the intent of going into business, you are set up for success through your alumni base. I'm not arguing that this is a good thing, but this does exist. His major is management, not software engineering or computer science.

This argument has gone all over the place though. The original point made was that Ivy League schools were overrated and that many businesses might not want to hire an Ivy League grad because those schools supposedly have "communist leanings". I still think that's a ridiculous argument. If Stetson Bennett wants to go get an Ivy League education, I do not think that it is completely overrated or that he would be better off just staying at UGA, although he could absolutely be just as successful with a degree from UGA. I'd like Stetson to stay too, but I'm not going to fault him for wanting to go to an Ivy League school if that's what he wants to do. There is added value in getting a degree from Princeton or Harvard.

And some Ivy League FB players make it into the NFL.