There goes McCollough... who now??

Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not unexpected, he was never on campus and hardly mentioned Georgia in interviews.
    as of this moment, in state defensive back recruiting is whiffing quite hard.
    I love Jalen Perry and think he’s underrated but we really need to hit on the other 3 - 4 DBs in this class. Looking at other highly touted in state DBs... I am forecasting Phillips at Oklahoma and Booth to Clemson right now. Not sure how hard we’re after the North Gwinnett Three.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tiger_62082 said:

Not unexpected, he was never on campus and hardly mentioned Georgia in interviews.
    I love Jalen Perry and think he’s underrated but we really need to hit on the other 3 - 4 DBs in this class. Looking at other highly touted in state DBs... I am forecasting Phillips at Oklahoma and Booth to Clemson right now. Not sure how hard we’re after the North Gwinnett Three.

Thoughts on Lewis Cine?

@umooner said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Thoughts on Lewis Cine?

I like him and think we have a good shot there. Penn State will probably be the toughest competition. Cine & Perry would be great but we would still need IMHO at least two more elite talents to infuse into the secondary with Jalen & Lewis. Personally, I’d just give the NG3 blanket committable offers and take 5 this year,

I do believe that Shilo Sanders is due for a ratings boost. He could very well be a package deal with Cine & E.J. Smith. Landing those three would be BIGLY.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe somehow UGA pulls in a nice class at DB. To not be chasing so hard after some of these safties I think the coaches are in control of what they want.
    The NG3 fit the look CKS and CMT prefer. Cine looks good. Shilo would add something nice.

I cant figure why so many whiffs but last year I thought the same and turns out UGA pulled in the second best DB class if not third. So maybe there's something going on with Booth. I also hear rumblings about Hinton and Pappoe also.

Basically I rank safties in this order of likely hood to commit: Cine, Newsome, Cortez, Battle, Williams,

Corners: Perry, Burrell, Shilo, Turner II, Booth.

Ome HUGE reason I say dont stress it. Evaluation period is in May and June (early July) when most camps go on. You uncover new prospects and find some hidden gems or growth spurts.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We weren’t really on the radar for Campbell until late.
    These coaches have got it. I’d have loved Booth, but that doesn’t look like an option with his sister not won over yet.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson @tiger_62082

Do either of you think Tyrique Stevenson could be a late bloomer for us like Campbell was last year. I have read rumblings that he is a big fan of Mel and he was impressed with them getting Campbell last year.

I know he is a Miami lean and was previously a UF commit.

Yeah I like the fact that you take Burrell and Turner (who tweeted he is committing at the end of June) and see if you can swing Cine then you go ALL in for a guy like Stevenson.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to CBs , Turner is unfortunately Michigan bound.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I’m really not sure how hard we’re pushing for him

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I agree, seems like a common theme for those 3 teammates

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 347 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I hate not being in the know right now. A lot of Ga. kids committed or leaning elsewhere right now. Could be because the staff is not pursuing but it's still disconcerting. I know that we have a great class so far and I know that there is a long way to go so I'm not in panic mode but it just seems strange that after such a successful season and the liklihood of continued dominance that more of these homegrown kids are not wanting to jump on board. I know we can't sign them all but it still irritates me when they end up at a rival or UM, OSU or Clemson.

@Jinx55 said:
    @Thelordjohnson @tiger_62082

Do either of you think Tyrique Stevenson could be a late bloomer for us like Campbell was last year. I have read rumblings that he is a big fan of Mel and he was impressed with them getting Campbell last year.

I know he is a Miami lean and was previously a UF commit.

Yeah I like the fact that you take Burrell and Turner (who tweeted he is committing at the end of June) and see if you can swing Cine then you go ALL in for a guy like Stevenson.

Apparently, the staff feels good about its chances with Elam, Stevenson, & Cortez Andrews and is investing a lot of time there. Those will be stories to follow closely. They’re also pushing hard for Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe, but I don’t see that happening. Those two are in all likelihood package deal Texas A&M locks. I haven’t heard anything about Jalani Williams.

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I believe somehow UGA pulls in a nice class at DB. To not be chasing so hard after some of these safties I think the coaches are in control of what they want.
    The NG3 fit the look CKS and CMT prefer. Cine looks good. Shilo would add something nice.

I cant figure why so many whiffs but last year I thought the same and turns out UGA pulled in the second best DB class if not third. So maybe there's something going on with Booth. I also hear rumblings about Hinton and Pappoe also.

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Basically I rank safties in this order of likely hood to commit: Cine, Newsome, Cortez, Battle, Williams,

Ome HUGE reason I say dont stress it. Evaluation period is in May and June (early July) when most camps go on. You uncover new prospects and find some hidden gems or growth spurts.

Good posts. I’m not complaining; just pointing out the fact that there’s, to this point, been significant whiffing at instate DB recruiting - as in previous years. I think we all could legitimately wonder whether the staff ever made McCullough a priority (and the same could be said for Wallace and Watson) so I’m not categorizing all of those as whiffs just yet. However, I know they desperately wanted Charleston and Hamilton & Booth is a priority. I’d just hate to see both Booth and Charleston go out of state because both represent exactly what we need in the secondary. I’d prefer not to have to rely on so much out of state recruiting in that specific position group constantly.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

It seems like they’re making Burrell a priority but I’m not sure about Newsome and Turner II

@Thelordjohnson said:

FSU is the X Factor for Shilo Sanders. If Taggart pulls the trigger, it’ll be difficult for Shilo to say no. That’s completely understandable.

@DawgNut said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I hate not being in the know right now. A lot of Ga. kids committed or leaning elsewhere right now. Could be because the staff is not pursuing but it's still disconcerting. I know that we have a great class so far and I know that there is a long way to go so I'm not in panic mode but it just seems strange that after such a successful season and the liklihood of continued dominance that more of these homegrown kids are not wanting to jump on board. I know we can't sign them all but it still irritates me when they end up at a rival or UM, OSU or Clemson.

Agreed; it should be pointed out that other than last year, defensive back recruiting - particularly instate - has not kept pace with that of the other position groups. It’s certainly frustrating for me when kids like A.J. Terrell and Joseph Charleston are leaving the state more frequently than we’d like.

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

It seems like they’re making Burrell a priority but I’m not sure about Newsome and Turner II

You are correct, they have pursued Burrell with more intensity recently (good catch)

@tiger_62082 said:

@DawgNut said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Agreed; it should be pointed out that other than last year, defensive back recruiting - particularly instate - has not kept pace with that of the other position groups. It’s certainly frustrating for me when kids like A.J. Terrell and Joseph Charleston are leaving the state more frequently than we’d like.

Yeah I think the loss of Terrell was big last year. It does make you wonder. Hopefully @JeffSentell can comment on our priority when it comes to secondary recruiting. Kirby brought in a ton of out of state talent while at Bama but I think we all assumed with the talent pool so much larger in GA, that we could pencil in 60%-70% of the kids to be instate guys every year.

We just can’t miss big on some of these guys that are out of stay if that’s the route we go. The Campbell risk was worth it, we will see how this year turns out.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DB is one of the hardest positions to recruit for, so there’s gonna be plenty of “whiffing”when going after those guys. No matter what Kirby does, it’s never going to be as successful as recruiting for OLB for us, even if Kirby is very successful at recruiting DB’s.

You’d think Kirby would have a leg up on recruiting DB’s as that was the position he played and there’s been a lot of reporting that as a DC and HC he spends a lot of time with DB’s. But I don’t think we’ve seen that reputation pay off in recruiting for whatever reason.

@levander said:
    DB is one of the hardest positions to recruit for, so there’s gonna be plenty of “whiffing”when going after those guys. No matter what Kirby does, it’s never going to be as successful as recruiting for OLB for us, even if Kirby is very successful at recruiting DB’s.

You’d think Kirby would have a leg up on recruiting DB’s as that was the position he played and there’s been a lot of reporting that as a DC and HC he spends a lot of time with DB’s. But I don’t think we’ve seen that reputation pay off in recruiting for whatever reason.

I would say Dline is the toughest. To me Kirby had great system guys at bama when it came to DBs but not a ton of successful NFL guys outside of safety.

I honestly think that’s where JP has an edge. The talent he coached and recruited at FSU was nuts!

But if Kirby stock piles Dline and OLB, good system DBs will be able to thrive.

@JeffSentell said:
    "Tank" has not been an option for UGA for quite some time. Very good player. But there was a reason why you didn't see any McCollough stories on DN.

Don't believe in giving the reader false hope for clicks. Do try to avoid that.

Understood. Thanks for the follow up.

So at safety you've done stories on Cine, Cortez, and Newsome so I will use those guys as our current priorities...

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look out for Tyrique Stevenson.

My viewpoint on Stevenson is between Miami and UGA. I give Miami a slight edge but he does like UGA and talks about them frequently but the Ladson connection at Miami is deep. We just have to get Campbell on campus and let him get to recruiting and showing a freshman DB can get some meaningful time like LeCounte and Gibbs.

After watching a lot of Shilo tape I want him. Lol

My ideal class (being realistic)
    CB - Rique, Perry, Shilo, Burrell
    S - Cine, Cortez

Realistic Class
    CB - Perry, Shilo, Burrell
    S - Cine, ATH unknown

I also like Elam but I think CLEMSON and Florida are ahead currently.

After watching a few videos and reading multiple articles on Shilo Sanders, I have come to a couple conclusions (which are just an opinion and may be wrong)

1) He should get a star bump up to 4 after evaluations come through. If that does happen I believe he becomes a take with a commitable offer (this is if he isn’t already)

2) I know it seems logical to place him at FSU but after reading his comments, he does see his bloodline as a “blessing and curse”. What I mean there is he has the physical traits but the constant comparison especially as it would be at FSU could be a tough pill to swallow. With UGA being in the good graces of Deon (his own 2nd choice) along with being in the SEC might give us more of a punchers chance with him than most may think. Shilo could craft out his own legacy in a way.

3) Shilo wants to play with Cine. If we can win out for the latter, it adds more chips on our side.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    After watching a few videos and reading multiple articles on Shilo Sanders, I have come to a couple conclusions (which are just an opinion and may be wrong)

1) He should get a star bump up to 4 after evaluations come through. If that does happen I believe he becomes a take with a commitable offer (this is if he isn’t already)

2) I know it seems logical to place him at FSU but after reading his comments, he does see his bloodline as a “blessing and curse”. What I mean there is he has the physical traits but the constant comparison especially as it would be at FSU could be a tough pill to swallow. With UGA being in the good graces of Deon (his own 2nd choice) along with being in the SEC might give us more of a punchers chance with him than most may think. Shilo could craft out his own legacy in a way.

3) Shilo wants to play with Cine. If we can win out for the latter, it adds more chips on our side.

If I can add to your #3, the more we pull at shilo, it’s gotta help with Cine. Depth at both positions is critical I just think Kirby hides our difficency at safety better than CB. Case in point sanders vs Malcolm parish.

Plus, having the Sanders name and connection definitely won’t hurt! I can see it now the fathers of Holyfield, Sanders, Emmit Smith , and hopefully QB, Johnson !

@CZCashvilleDawg
    1) I TOTALLY agree. His jam game is ridiculous! He also has great speed. I think he personally should jump up to Top 15 to 20 in CBs. He is a great showcase talent. (I also believe Perry and Stevenson are more skillful in game situations vs a showcase).
    2) I will say 2 words that'll sum up what you said: JAMES COOK!!!
    3) If he sticks to that. Then I think he and cine end up here. Cine is favoring UGA and PSU. Shilo doesn't have a offer from PSU.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tiger_62082 said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

FSU is the X Factor for Shilo Sanders. If Taggart pulls the trigger, it’ll be difficult for Shilo to say no. That’s completely understandable.

Great pic from Shilo's Twitter account. Good post, @tiger_62082.

I keep wondering if the hype is warranted. Is Shilo really "Prime Time 2" (as in, will he be anywhere as good as Dad)? He's a 3-star and currently ranks as the nation’s No. 130 cornerback in the 247Sports 2019 composite.