Darnell Wright

christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just read the article put out by Jeff Sentell on which targets Georgia might sign for 2019 & it is encouraging:

Which top undecided targets can UGA recruiting land in 2019?
https://www.dawgnation.com/pwa/georgia/article/georgia-football-bulldogs-top-targets-uncommitted

In it he covers the 5 star OT Darnell Wright - he looks just great on film!! Anyone in the DawgNation forum know anything else about Georgia's chances of actually getting this one? Thanks in advance for the DawgNation brain trust that comment & post great stuff in here. All of y'all know who you are. BTW, Y'all make ESPN really look like foolish amateur clowns IMHO.

Comments

• ShulaShula Posts: 110 ✭✭ Sophmore
    edited May 16

Better shot with Dobbs imo. Currently Alabama and Tennessee lead but there is still a lot of time left.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Shula said:
    Better shot with Dobbs imo. Currently Alabama and Tennessee lead but there is still a lot of time left.

I agree, but I think the good thing is Bama has already gotten a lot of Offensive Line help with commitments from Bowles, Kight and Quick who are each legit OT. Tennessee is a toss up since they are kind of the unknown.

I did find it interesting that a @JeffSentell mentioned some guys wanting to make sure last season wasn't luck. I think repeating a successful season and dominating the East and getting to the SECCG is essential. I think if we are undefeated through October we will see a lot of kids thinking twice about UGA. That's when the flips and kids will re think maybe UGA is for real.

I know it is an odd perspective for us UGA fans who see what Kirby is building but just think how many teams have a good season or two. Prolonged success at the SEC level isn't promised.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 16

@Shula said:

Bama already has 3 tackles commited, Wright isn’t heading there. TN would be a legit threat, along with OSU (who leads in CBs and is also very close to his home)

Dobbs, according to some sources, is seen more as a guard or swing tackle at the next level.

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Jinx55 said:

@Shula said:

I agree, but I think the good thing is Bama has already gotten a lot of Offensive Line help with commitments from Bowles, Kight and Quick who are each legit OT. Tennessee is a toss up since they are kind of the unknown.

I did find it interesting that a @JeffSentell mentioned some guys wanting to make sure last season wasn't luck. I think repeating a successful season and dominating the East and getting to the SECCG is essential. I think if we are undefeated through October we will see a lot of kids thinking twice about UGA. That's when the flips and kids will re think maybe UGA is for real.

I know it is an odd perspective for us UGA fans who see what Kirby is building but just think how many teams have a good season or two. Prolonged success at the SEC level isn't promised.

Hard to understand why a kid would stay away because we may have had a lucky season but consider going to UTjr. Maybe they were just extremely unlucky last year and JP will turn it all around this season.

@DawgNut said:

@Jinx55 said:

@Shula said:

Hard to understand why a kid would stay away because we may have had a lucky season but consider going to UTjr. Maybe they were just extremely unlucky last year and JP will turn it all around this season.

JP is a hell of a recruiter so no telling what pipe dream he is selling. He did a great job of getting Morris in the fold and maybe they sell Wright on being the RT and those guys build a wall together.

Either way you gotta think we should have better selling point compared to UTjr. Makes holding on to the 2020 OT Broderick even more important. That kid is more talented than any of the 2019 guys at tackle in my opinion.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Shula said:

Bama already has 3 tackles commited, Wright isn’t heading there. TN would be a legit threat, along with OSU (who leads in CBs and is also very close to his home)

Dobbs, according to some sources, is seen more as a guard or swing tackle at the next level.

Lol, bama is likely the leader right now. He’s the #1 Ot and there Lt is leaving this year. They 100% have a great chance of signing him. They’ll just tell him that he’ll be one who starts. Also Quick and Bowles will be guards for them.

@Shula said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Shula said:

Lol, bama is likely the leader right now. He’s the #1 Ot and there Lt is leaving this year. They 100% have a great chance of signing him. They’ll just tell him that he’ll be one who starts. Also Quick and Bowles will be guards for them.

And according Steve Witlong OSU isn’t in it for him at the moment. Wright wants to be in the sec/acc.
    All those CBs occurred months ago and will change to another school eventually.

@Shula said:

@Shula said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Shula said:

And according Steve Witlong OSU isn’t in it for him at the moment. Wright wants to be in the sec/acc.
    All those CBs occurred months ago and will change to another school eventually.

Good insight

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wright will come down to UGA, BAMA, and TENN... Tenn is the leader because of Pruitt and location. Bama can sell a dream but he wouldn't/won't touch the field for 2 to 3 years.

• WartownDawgWartownDawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophmore

I would think Tennessee is only a leader for basically any recruit due to the obvious chance at early playing time. That's a difficult battle we will be fighting a lot in a lot of positions. Tennesse's oline last year was terrible and odds are will be just as terrible this year. If they are that bad an Oline recruit can see himself coming in and starting immediately.
    We just need to win and keep winning and that battle becomes easier since these kids still want to be on winning teams.

edited May 16

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Wright will come down to UGA, BAMA, and TENN... Tenn is the leader because of Pruitt and location. Bama can sell a dream but he wouldn't/won't touch the field for 2 to 3 years.

Such a common misconception. They’re selling playing time to him. Jonah Williams will declare for the draft leaving the Lt spot open. Alabama leads right now for him and believe it or not, he was on commit watch when he visited them weeks ago

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 302 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't see Wright picking UGA, but I hope I'm wrong. If I had to bet, I'd say Bama.

@Shula said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Such a common misconception. They’re selling playing time to him. Jonah Williams will declare for the draft leaving the Lt spot open. Alabama leads right now for him and believe it or not, he was on commit watch when he visited them weeks ago

Are we to believe that Bama doesn't hsve a few LT's waiting behind Jonah? Seems unlikely that Saban would be relying on a freshman to take over at that position once Jonah leaves.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 324 ✭✭✭ Junior

What about the notion of getting beat up all 3 years versus 2 good years? I can see playing time the first year, but given a choice of starting versus a taste I would go for the taste - if I were a top notch pro bound football player. There may be a difference by position, QB start if possible 3 years, but OL or DL 2 years is good. My guess is not really a 3 year starter as a choice. What ya think?

Bsma signed the #1 & #7 OT and #1 juco OT in 2017. Didnt land any big time oT's in this last class though.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 417 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Jinx55 said:

@Shula said:

This. If one was going to negative recruit on UGA, the history of shortcomings would likely be the message. Our targets are all blue chip prospects with numerous options. I personally applaud a recruit who wants to see continued success, as I think it correlates with the competition and best player plays messaging that Kirby sells. They’ll believe in the process more.

After the ass-whooping that will be placed on UF, and the undeafeated record that comes along with it, we’ll start to see our positions of need fill up with the players our staff wants. This delay also avoids Billy Bobbing some players which Dawgnation has mixed emotions on this practice. Travon commits sometime this summer and then it may be a bit slower until the season.

We’re right where we want to be...Go Dawgs!

@DawgNut said:

@Shula said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Are we to believe that Bama doesn't hsve a few LT's waiting behind Jonah? Seems unlikely that Saban would be relying on a freshman to take over at that position once Jonah leaves.

@DawgNut said:

@Shula said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Hey if they’re good enough they will. If I remember right Jonah and Cam Robinson started as freshman for them.

@FirePlugDawg said:
    What about the notion of getting beat up all 3 years versus 2 good years? I can see playing time the first year, but given a choice of starting versus a taste I would go for the taste - if I were a top notch pro bound football player. There may be a difference by position, QB start if possible 3 years, but OL or DL 2 years is good. My guess is not really a 3 year starter as a choice. What ya think?

I think most kids prefer to start right away bc they’re kids. If it’s me I’d rather RS my 1st year and start 2 years then leave for the nfl.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I dont know much @shula but what I can say is there are 3 guys ahead of any freshman when/if Jonah leaves as well as the fact that 3 guys are being signed at OT (2 of the 3 will stay at Tackle). Also Sabsn NEVER allows promises to playing time.

Biggest factoid in recruiting is NFL pedigree. UGA and Sam Pittman have multiple players in the league. Bama has produced a lot of OLINE bust.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superdawg said:
    Shula is there ANYBODY that the lowly Georgia Bulldogs have a chance of signing? Obviously, bama will sign ALL the good ones. Hopefully MY bulldawgs can sign a few 2 star guys with some upside.

Looking more and more like we are a one year wonder...I think we would be better served taking all those commitments from the 2/3 star kids dying to play for us bc everyone else is going to Bama

@superdawg said:
    Shula is there ANYBODY that the lowly Georgia Bulldogs have a chance of signing? Obviously, bama will sign ALL the good ones. Hopefully MY bulldawgs can sign a few 2 star guys with some upside.

@superdawg said:

What are you talking about it? I said nothing of UGAs chances.

The only recruit I’ve said Georgia has no chance with is Webb. Yes we’re behind for some recruits like Darnell Wright or Nakobe Dean but I’ve said before that it’s May and plenty of time left. It’s pretty ridiculous that you come to the conclusion that I’m saying we have no chance with anybody when I’ve literally only said that about 1 guy. Y’all are the ones who want to keep taking about the ones they’re we’re behind for. How about we talk about Dobbs and Truss. 2 guys that UGA is close to the top for > @superdawg said:

@Shula What have you heard on Truss ?

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @Shula What have you heard on Truss ?

UGA is at or near the top for him.

Saw something similar of FSF too (Old CBs currently still show Penn State though)

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Saw something similar of FSF too (Old CBs currently still show Penn State though)

Who is FSF please?

edited May 17

@FirePlugDawg

Field Street Forum

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @FirePlugDawg

Field Street Forum

The 'of' of "....of FSF...." threw me off. Recruiting is not necessarily logical but if Truss (of RI) is considering anywhere down South, he would have UGA near or at the top. (Three 'of's in a row is pretty impressive, no?)

I only see one of, but it should of been on anyway.