Why aren’t we talking more about...

SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tommy Bush?! Tommy was the last signee of
the 2018 class. Drastically underrated receiver because his HS squad threw the ball so few times. Legit 6’5/200lbs/4.4 40 yard dash and 36 inch vert with that 6.5 frame. Supreme deep threat and red zone nightmare potential. Tommy is going to be one who will be drafted the first two days of the 20/21 draft along with 4-6 others of the 2018 class.

Our coaches wanted him badly. At the 11th hour our staff likely turned away a position of need to honor the commitment of Tommy on NSD. When he adds some additional lean mass to that frame, there’s a lot of Julio potential there. This kid will be special. I think he lessens the need for a 3rd big body receiver for the class of 19. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/7c36f7e6-ac99-42f5-a282-03f40d93e8c8

Comments

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

he was definitely a great pick up. he’s gonna be a project for a few years and he will probably redshirt but i am sure that he will be one of our best targets a few years from now

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His measurables are a bit...dare I say...Randy Moss-like.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you don’t block, you don’t get the rock. Will be something to look for in fall camp

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 31

The potential is DEFINITELY there for WR Tommy Bush, & for the Georgia Bulldogs too, & then to just remember how he was the very last kid that was added to the 2018 signing class!!! He was the extra fancy icing on the amazing cake!!! I remember how exciting it was (on that day) it was like just a “holy smoke! We got THAT GUY too?? Are you kidding me???” <—- it was just THAT kind of incredible (once in a lifetime? I sure hope not!) day!!! Unbelievable the 2018 signing class!!!

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I personally want to see the 2017 version of Bush, Matt Landers, first

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    he was definitely a great pick up. he’s gonna be a project for a few years and he will probably redshirt but i am sure that he will be one of our best targets a few years from now

Not sure he’ll be much of a project but time will tell. Keep in mind he came from a triple option type system, he was blocking 95% of the time if on the field.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

In the immortal words of Sherrif Bart, "Dare... Dare..."

@Midnite_Train said:

Matt Landers is a good receiver. Watching G-day he flashed a couple of times. I do feel Tommy’s measurables are greater than Landers so we’ll see.

In 2020, Bush will be an all SEC receiver.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 31

2020 will be tough WR core to defend with Holloman (who if he steps up like I believe could be gone) Landers, Blount, Bush, Kearis, Haselwood, Blaylock

• donmdonm Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

just a bit...Moss was generational.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe Bush has the physical ability to develop into an outstanding receiver. There is no questioning the size and speed. When I saw him in the UA game he did not really stand out. Could be that he did not have much chance to work with the QB's at the game, but I am thinking he is pretty raw and needs a year to develop as a route runner to really contribute. I would not look for too much next year, maybe even a red shirt given the receivers we have. But I do expect him to be someone we will be talking about down the road a bit.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Well, it's been about a generation since we've seen a receiver like that. Football is due.

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Well, it's been about a generation since we've seen a receiver like that. Football is due.

We could only hope I guess...Moss is the most talented receiver ever (Rice is the GOAT) and he should’ve been the GOAT had he been mature enough earlier in his career. I think Bush’s body is going to transform in the S&C program and he’ll be closer to a Julio before all said and done. He’s got the frame for it...

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ChicagoDawg said:
    I believe Bush has the physical ability to develop into an outstanding receiver. There is no questioning the size and speed. When I saw him in the UA game he did not really stand out. Could be that he did not have much chance to work with the QB's at the game, but I am thinking he is pretty raw and needs a year to develop as a route runner to really contribute. I would not look for too much next year, maybe even a red shirt given the receivers we have. But I do expect him to be someone we will be talking about down the road a bit.

All-star games are a terrible way to evaluate a player...the kid is SUPER talented and may be hard to keep off the field

• Dawgnation33Dawgnation33 Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Midnite_Train said:

i am hyped about Matt Landers! I think he scores some big TD's on that fade route in the end zone this yr.

Rusty mentioned this morning that Tommy Bush is already flashing. Feeling very good about him. I think he’ll be a top 5 producer of this class.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Rusty mentioned this morning that Tommy Bush is already flashing. Feeling very good about him. I think he’ll be a top 5 producer of this class.

Bush has elite physical tools, but I've seen too many long fast receivers who never did much at UGA to get hyped till I see him produce at the SEC level. There is a feel for the position that is hard to define and many simply don't have it.

@superdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

All-star games are a terrible way to evaluate a player...the kid is SUPER talented and may be hard to keep off the field

I think it's most likely he'll either RS or see little game action in 2018. He played on a hs team that passed very little.

@pgjackson said:

I'll save everybody the suspense, he's never going to be confused with Moss on or off the field.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

I'll save everybody the suspense, he's never going to be confused with Moss on or off the field.

How do you know?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

How do you know?

He knows ALL. Notice I didn’t say tall, I said all

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

How do you know?

Well, he's fast, but not REAL fast, he doesn't have Moss's quickness, agility or jumping ability. Moss was among the fastest players in NFL history, this kid runs around a 4.5.
    Let's not get carried away.

@Kasey said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

How do you know?

Thanks, you're CLOSE, but I can't pick tomorrow's lottery winners, I'm near 100% on yesterday's though, with proper research of course.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 376 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

How do you know?

Thanks, you're CLOSE, but I can't pick tomorrow's lottery winners, I'm near 100% on yesterday's though, with proper research of course.

Ya, the odds of any receiver in all the NCAA in the next 5 years to resemble Moss is a stretch not just predicting Bush or any UGA receiver future for that matter. Moss is a HoF WR and arguably a top5 at his position for all time. I'd be happy if we could get a Malcom Mitchell type of production from anyone in the WR room.

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

How do you know?

Ya, the odds of any receiver in all the NCAA in the next 5 years to resemble Moss is a stretch not just predicting Bush or any UGA receiver future for that matter. Moss is a HoF WR and arguably a top5 at his position for all time. I'd be happy if we could get a Malcom Mitchell type of production from anyone in the WR room.

The 2 midgets, Godwin and Hardman are going to be excellent this season.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@superdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

I think it's most likely he'll either RS or see little game action in 2018. He played on a hs team that passed very little.

I see that data the complete opposite. He came from a run heavy scheme that required him to block most of the snaps he was on the field. I’m too lazy to find the exact quote but CKS has said before the first hurdle for WRs (and RBs) to see the field early is making sure they are realible blockers. Which is easier? Learning and Refining blocking technique or learning a basic package of routes to run? If Bush can block I bet we see him in the first half of the season.

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@superdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

I see that data the complete opposite. He came from a run heavy scheme that required him to block most of the snaps he was on the field. I’m too lazy to find the exact quote but CKS has said before the first hurdle for WRs (and RBs) to see the field early is making sure they are realible blockers. Which is easier? Learning and Refining blocking technique or learning a basic package of routes to run? If Bush can block I bet we see him in the first half of the season.

We have very experienced blockers in the receiver corp. He won't play unless he's a better pass catching option than others.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@superdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

We have very experienced blockers in the receiver corp. He won't play unless he's a better pass catching option than others.

I agree with you in terms on the starting 3 or 4 but bush will be competing with the 2nd string and below kinda guys. If he can run and catch as about(ish) as good as the next guy his familiarity with an aggressive blocking requirement can make him the first guy off the bench.

We went after this guy really hard. You have to assume he is pretty good. He will play. We had 7 different WRs catch passes last year. Sometimes there are 4 WRs on the field at the same time. He probably won't start, but he will get some garbage time at least.

Kid can block, immediately is our biggest receiver in height, runs laser timed 4.4, and probably has decent hands. His tape was rather easy catches I’ll admit...

If he does RS this year, it’s because we have the luxury to allow him to do so. He will see the field rather quickly. Holloman is the closest to Bush’s skill set. Landers draws a lot of comparisons but Landers can’t run like Bush. Bush is THE perfect compliment to our pro style/run heavy system. He will keep at minimum a single high safety in middle of field(6’5 4.4 Guy is nightmare on 50/50 deep middle routes in solo coverage), and IF he has every route at his disposal in year one (digs/slants/shallow crosses), he’ll force opposing LBs to take drop before reacting to the LOS (yes WCdawg the one step matters); 6 in box vs. 8, our RB/OL will have a field day. Pass to run & run to pass. Opposing DCs gonna hate us.