DJ Daniel - JUCO DB

CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone know the story on this guy ? How he wound up in JUCO ? What highschool he came from ?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2747086/5ad608bb1762370ce02e4824

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looks to be about 6’7/8 tall, so should be good.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 4
  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m guessing he went unranked in high school, as 247 doesn’t have a high school page on him like the usually do.

@Teddy said:
    I’m guessing he went unranked in high school, as 247 doesn’t have a high school page on him like the usually do.

Yeah, I tried to look him up too, wanted to see what offers he had prior

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

looks like he’s got 17 offers now

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Looks to be about 6’7/8 tall, so should be good.

Hilarious!!!! GO DAWGS!!!

Wonder if he will be camping soon ?

• godawgsgodawgs Posts: 318 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

He did camp and he killed it which is why he was recently offered. His hudl video looks great.

• godawgsgodawgs Posts: 318 ✭✭✭ Junior

@godawgs said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

He did camp and he killed it which is why he was recently offered. His hudl video looks great.

Which camp did he attend ?

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 325 ✭✭✭ Junior

At the very least he could play on ST. Especially block situations. He had as many blocks as tackles lol

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 6

What an interesting quote from the defensive coordinator at GMC: “It’s just so hard nowadays to find taller corners that are athletic enough to play the position,” said Manchester.

If I didnt know better I would suggest he seems to be saying taller guys struggle to succeed at corner.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    What an interesting quote from the defensive coordinator at GMC: “It’s just so hard nowadays to find taller corners that are athletic enough to play the position,” said Manchester.

If I didnt know better I would suggest he seems to be saying taller guys struggle to succeed at corner.

There is a little known "height to hip flex ratio", that if preserved, all is aces.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks good in the little bit of video I’ve seen of him. If we could sign him, Perry, and either Booth or Stevenson we would be set at CB. We really need to sign a couple of good safety prospects this class, hopefully Cine and Andrews.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

strong w reach like pool...reminds me a bit of 2 tall..like some have mentioned...aggressive at the position ...from what little I know I think the kid has lots of tools..... and if he really has picked up the military attitude to stay disciplined on and off....??? he could be a great d1 player if he picks up the system....kid is racking up offers thats for sure.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 387 ✭✭✭ Junior

Never chimed in on the "too tall" debate before... But I was curious to look at the past couple years' CB rankings. And of the top 20, something like 9 of the top 20, followed by 11 of the top 20 were 6'1" or taller. Call it better training and coaching or call it a general increase in height of the population of defensive backs, but it seems like high-talent corners are getting taller -- at least at the college level.

edited June 7

@MarkBoknecht said:
    Never chimed in on the "too tall" debate before... But I was curious to look at the past couple years' CB rankings. And of the top 20, something like 9 of the top 20, followed by 11 of the top 20 were 6'1" or taller. Call it better training and coaching or call it a general increase in height of the population of defensive backs, but it seems like high-talent corners are getting taller -- at least at the college level.

But then someone said look at NFL all pro or pro bowl and they are "little people" or something like that. All I know is that I cannot get enough of this talk. Yeah, buddy.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

But then someone said look at NFL all pro or pro bowl and they are "little people" or something like that. All I know is that I cannot get enough of this talk. Yeah, buddy.

I Posted this in Feb, not exactly “little people”

NFL All Pro CBs:

Xavier Rhodes - 6’1
    Jalin Ramsey - 6’1
    Darius Slay - 6’0

Aquib Talib - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0
    Chris Harris Jr - 5’10

Josh Norman - 6’0
    Patrick Peterson - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0

2018 UGA Class
    Wilson - 6’0
    Joseph - 6’1.5
    Smith - 5’10.5

6’0 is the current sweet spot for top shelf corners with it slowly growing to 6’1 due to the size of NFL wr climbing.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 7

thanks to the inter web ... pro bowl , olympic sprinter, or bust ...2 tall will always be 2 tall in our hearts

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

NFL All Pro CBs:

Xavier Rhodes - 6’1
    Jalin Ramsey - 6’1
    Darius Slay - 6’0

Aquib Talib - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0
    Chris Harris Jr - 5’10

Josh Norman - 6’0
    Patrick Peterson - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0

2018 UGA Class
    Wilson - 6’0
    Joseph - 6’1.5
    Smith - 5’10.5

6’0 is the current sweet spot for top shelf corners with it slowly growing to 6’1 due to the size of NFL wr climbing.

So, nary a one over 6'1" in the pro section. Seems that has been mentioned somewhere recently.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t wait until I see Seamus O’Littlejeans on that list

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Makes me wonder, is THIS the one of the ones that kicks the "commit to the G season" into gear???? OR INSTEAD... are there A LOT OF behind the scenes things (as there ALWAYS are) that are going on right now..... & it is all for Georgia to be extra, extra, extra picky (like for instance Clemson has been for a while now) & then when the commits come (& they will come!) they will simply be like something other-worldly like it was when the 2017 early signing period insanity started up.... but all over again, there will just fewer of these elites in number(s).

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

NFL All Pro CBs:

Xavier Rhodes - 6’1
    Jalin Ramsey - 6’1
    Darius Slay - 6’0

Aquib Talib - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0
    Chris Harris Jr - 5’10

Josh Norman - 6’0
    Patrick Peterson - 6’1
    Marcus Peters - 6’0

2018 UGA Class
    Wilson - 6’0
    Joseph - 6’1.5
    Smith - 5’10.5

So, nary a one over 6'1" in the pro section. Seems that has been mentioned somewhere recently.

Just to stir the pot. What were the average CBs’ heights 10 or 20 years ago? 3 year sample is quite small. Going off pro bowl starters; 2008 just under 6 feet. 1998 5’10.5”. Seems they’re growing to me. 6’2 seems logical in the near future. Debate...

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

5'11 has been the standard since the 70s... There really aren't that many big CBs in today's NFL either. Average WR height is 6'1... Top WR in NFL is 5'10; I dont get the ongoing joke but Campbell is a corner and should be successful but that doesn't turn away UGAs smaller guys that offer different skill sets but still okay big.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Official visit set for UGA this weekend. It’s the first official.

DJ Daniel - JUCO DB