Recruiting is so slow

brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Recruiting season has been soooo slow for the Dawgs, yet everyone else has been racking up commitments. Should change soon for us, CJ Clark will be a dawg on the 18th. After that, who could you see being next?

Comments

• SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 77 ✭✭ Sophmore

recruiting is going to be slow this summer, a lot of behind the scenes my be going on but Kirby and company will be much more selective this year early due to last year where they accepted so many early commits only to have to back out for bigger fish later in the year. The next commit I believe will be Clark, then we start looking for Davis and Dean. Travon Walker was one Id say pop early and be a leader in recruiting other players but now i think we will battle and the process will be a bit longer.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 422 ✭✭✭ Junior

The class is almost half full.

• dawgOf2002dawgOf2002 Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SWGADAWG said:
    recruiting is going to be slow this summer, a lot of behind the scenes my be going on but Kirby and company will be much more selective this year early due to last year where they accepted so many early commits only to have to back out for bigger fish later in the year. The next commit I believe will be Clark, then we start looking for Davis and Dean. Travon Walker was one Id say pop early and be a leader in recruiting other players but now i think we will battle and the process will be a bit longer.

Dean won't make any decision until december I'm afraid.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ Junior

This may be of some comfort, or not. Bammer had a killer recruit class in 2017. It had a mini-disaster the next year, salvaging what it could not until NSD, picking up the leavings. UGA had the killer this year, and is FAR ahead of Bammer's 2018 following class for its own 2019 class. Now the similarities are not very similar at all (?), plus why the big drop off for Bammer in the first place (I know that Kirby kept most of GA's top in-state for 2018, Bammer coaches may have been caught flat-footed by UGA attractiveness, and the coaches were heading out the door - many exited/were fired 2018?)?

Now this year, UGA is being selective (rec - as to numbers), there is a small class (rec -),UGA's early commits are aces, which means that even fewer positions are open for recruitment (rec -), the early play prospects of the 2019 class are less (rec -), (speculation) the class 2019 may be weak as to UGA's position needs (rec -) , GA is weak in positions of need by UGA requiring out of state (OOS) recruiting to a greater extent (rec -), the early signing day beginning in 2017 changed the commit dynamic from prior years (rec -?), UGA may be allowing commits only later in the cycle in the belief that it will ultimately sign the top recruits closer to the ESD/NSD (rec - for further early commits), and the SEC has several new/reshuffled/in stride coaches trying hard to make their mark (rec -).

On the positive side, UGA's rep is strong, Kirby's head is up, Kirby's relationship with the pro coaches and high school coaches is aces, UGA coaching and support staff is stable and energetic, the 2018 early enrollees confirm that the 2018 class is the real deal.

So, am I concerned - YES, but that is me not based on anything particular. Plus the negative influences cannot be overcome except by doing what UGA has been doing and hoping that the top recruits make the best choice. Another perspective: if the current commits came in dribs and dabs over this spring and summer, would be feel so ill at ease now? Not likely. We got our hoard (horde) early and should by rights be smiling like the fat cats (DAWGS) we are. Go DAWGS!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd be concerned if we were coming off a 8-5 season and the returning group of players wasn't looking much better. However, the opposite is the reality. We are SEC and Rose Bowl Champs and took Bama to the wire in the NC. Experts are saying even though we lost a lot of key players, overall the 2018 TEAM is probably more talented across the board. This is not a flash-in-the-pan program. Win, and they will come. I think Kirby is being more selective and tactical in his recruiting...only going after the top guys. It won't be a big class like 2018, but it will be absolutely stacked. The mojo is strong right now.

@pgjackson said:
    A lot of teams currently ahead of us are racking up the 3-star players. That Helps out in the beginning, but ultimately those aren’t our targets. I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with ZERO 3-stars. We currently have more 5-star guys than anyone. THat’s a good sign. This class will probably se something like 5 5-star guys and 14 4-star guys and a #2 or 3 class overall. We are the only team without a 3-star guy so far and still are #11 overall. SC is ahead of us but they have been loading up on the 3-stars (10 so far). Same with Clemson and Miami.

To further expand on this idea, our average recruit rating in 2018 was 94.23. So far in 2019 it is 95.78. To put that in perspective, right now Bama has the #1 class with 14 commits, but an average rating of 93.5. SC, TAMU. Clemson, Miami and LSU...all currently ranked above our class...are all in the high 80's for average player rating.

We are going after quality.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just chill. UGA will end top 4 at worst.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    The class is almost half full.

• mleemlee Posts: 402 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do hate seeing the Chickens getting momentum though while we are waiting for our guys to come home!

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:
    A lot of teams currently ahead of us are racking up the 3-star players. That Helps out in the beginning, but ultimately those aren’t our targets. I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with ZERO 3-stars. We currently have more 5-star guys than anyone. THat’s a good sign. This class will probably se something like 5 5-star guys and 14 4-star guys and a #2 or 3 class overall. We are the only team without a 3-star guy so far and still are #11 overall. SC is ahead of us but they have been loading up on the 3-stars (10 so far). Same with Clemson and Miami.

To further expand on this idea, our average recruit rating in 2018 was 94.23. So far in 2019 it is 95.78. To put that in perspective, right now Bama has the #1 class with 14 commits, but an average rating of 93.5. SC, TAMU. Clemson, Miami and LSU...all currently ranked above our class...are all in the high 80's for average player rating.

What is there avg with there top 8 guys against our 8 commits?

@FirePlugDawg said:
    This may be of some comfort, or not. Bammer had a killer recruit class in 2017. It had a mini-disaster the next year, salvaging what it could not until NSD, picking up the leavings. UGA had the killer this year, and is FAR ahead of Bammer's 2018 following class for its own 2019 class. Now the similarities are not very similar at all (?), plus why the big drop off for Bammer in the first place (I know that Kirby kept most of GA's top in-state for 2018, Bammer coaches may have been caught flat-footed by UGA attractiveness, and the coaches were heading out the door - many exited/were fired 2018?)?

Now this year, UGA is being selective (rec - as to numbers), there is a small class (rec -),UGA's early commits are aces, which means that even fewer positions are open for recruitment (rec -), the early play prospects of the 2019 class are less (rec -), (speculation) the class 2019 may be weak as to UGA's position needs (rec -) , GA is weak in positions of need by UGA requiring out of state (OOS) recruiting to a greater extent (rec -), the early signing day beginning in 2017 changed the commit dynamic from prior years (rec -?), UGA may be allowing commits only later in the cycle in the belief that it will ultimately sign the top recruits closer to the ESD/NSD (rec - for further early commits), and the SEC has several new/reshuffled/in stride coaches trying hard to make their mark (rec -).

On the positive side, UGA's rep is strong, Kirby's head is up, Kirby's relationship with the pro coaches and high school coaches is aces, UGA coaching and support staff is stable and energetic, the 2018 early enrollees confirm that the 2018 class is the real deal.

So, am I concerned - YES, but that is me not based on anything particular. Plus the negative influences cannot be overcome except by doing what UGA has been doing and hoping that the top recruits make the best choice. Another perspective: if the current commits came in dribs and dabs over this spring and summer, would be feel so ill at ease now? Not likely. We got our hoard (horde) early and should by rights be smiling like the fat cats (DAWGS) we are. Go DAWGS!

Pretty sure bama had a disaster because they lost like 6 coaches before NSD so that should not comfort anybody. I'd be a little worried we're hitting home at some positions but others we're having to take strong looks at out 3rd and 4th option. This class will be a strong testament on how good Kirby really is when we can't just cherry pick the state and I'm pleased at all at instate recruiting.

@dawgOf2002 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Pretty sure bama had a disaster because they lost like 6 coaches before NSD so that should not comfort anybody. I'd be a little worried we're hitting home at some positions but others we're having to take strong looks at out 3rd and 4th option. This class will be a strong testament on how good Kirby really is when we can't just cherry pick the state and I'm pleased at all at instate recruiting.

@dawgOf2002 what do you mean by 'and I'm pleased at all at instate recruiting.'? 2018 was pretty unique in that Kirby locked up most of the the state's top recruits. As to Bammer, Saban knew he was in trouble at ESD. Pruitt's departure was known - do not know who else's departure was known, or if most were a consequence of the poor recruiting.

What do you attribute the 'slowness' in recruiting to be due to?

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 11

@dawgy10 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

USCjr (Top 8 Recruits) = .9106
    UGA (Our 8) = .9578

@dawgy10 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

Don’t know, but since we have more 5-Star guys than anyone, I’m guessing we still have the highest average for the top 8 commits.

• ShulaShula Posts: 185 ✭✭ Sophmore

@pgjackson said:

@dawgy10 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

Don’t know, but since we have more 5-Star guys than anyone, I’m guessing we still have the highest average for the top 8 commits.

Alabama’s top 8 guys have a average of 0.9645. They don’t have as many 5 stars but have a lot of high 4 stars.

@Shula said:

@pgjackson said:

@dawgy10 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

Alabama’s top 8 guys have a average of 0.9645. They don’t have as many 5 stars but have a lot of high 4 stars.

LikeI said, I was guessing. Was pretty close.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

Wow i hadn’t looked at the other classes until today. Clemson has taken low numbers the past couple recruiting cycles, so they can sign a big class this year. That average is disappointing for them IMO

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

Wow i hadn’t looked at the other classes until today. Clemson has taken low numbers the past couple recruiting cycles, so they can sign a big class this year. That average is disappointing for them IMO

They’re not being selective like they normally are. .89 average is still pretty good.

@pgjackson said:

@Shula said:

@pgjackson said:

@dawgy10 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

LikeI said, I was guessing. Was pretty close.

Yea I would think ours would be a little better but they’re class average is being a little weighed down by there kicker commit. Would be .9450 without him.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@dawgOf2002 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@dawgOf2002 what do you mean by 'and I'm pleased at all at instate recruiting.'? 2018 was pretty unique in that Kirby locked up most of the the state's top recruits. As to Bammer, Saban knew he was in trouble at ESD. Pruitt's departure was known - do not know who else's departure was known, or if most were a consequence of the poor recruiting.

I don't really attribute it to anything these things just happen one thing I think could be a reason is kirby is a kind of guy they you either love or you hate and a lot of these kids parents aren't a big fan of kirby smart and his tactics.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@dawgOf2002 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Oh and I meant I'm not pleased with instate recruiting.

@dawgOf2002 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@dawgOf2002 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I don't really attribute it to anything these things just happen one thing I think could be a reason is kirby is a kind of guy they you either love or you hate and a lot of these kids parents aren't a big fan of kirby smart and his tactics.

What tactics? I suspect YOU are someone that doesn't like HC and SEC Champs coach Kirby Smart, yes?

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 12

Deleted - moved to another post

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

sorry

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Went to the high rent district