Possibly the reason for the Slow start

dawgOf2002dawgOf2002 Posts: 340 ✭✭✭ Junior

I responded about this in another post but I figured I'd make a post about it for those wondering. Probably the biggest reason is we have such a small class and we're trying to get the best guys meaning not accepting some commits. Another reason is Kirby Smart. Now there is no doubt of Kirby's recruiting prowess but his character is a kind of love it or hate. Kirby is very bold and confident but so much it comes off as arrogant. It really hit home last class but not really this class. Now this is probably what most of you do not want to hear but another reason is our tactics. Kirby is very dirty in his tactics. Now Dirty recruiting is just apart of it dabo is pretty bad too but I've been told kirby is taking it too a extreme that isn't sitting well with a lot of the recruits and specifically their parents. A lot of the parents are getting the feeling they don't want Kirby Guiding their children because of how badly he talks of other coaches some of the things aren't nessecarily true either . Now like I said either love it or hate For example deans mom loves kirby and the staff better than anyone. Not trying to be negative just relaying the info I've received over the past couple months. Kirby is still a phenomenal recruiter he just has some things he needs to perfect. He's already recruiting at a high level there is no telling what he'll be capable of when he works out the kinks.

Comments

• dawgOf2002dawgOf2002 Posts: 340 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 12

Sorry if it seems kind of choppy I tried posting a more well thought out post that took me about 15 minutes to type but it said it had to be approved or something and I figured it wouldn't. So I just put this together in a couple minutes.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgOf2002 said:
    I responded about this in another post but I figured I'd make a post about it for those wondering. Probably the biggest reason is we have such a small class and we're trying to get the best guys meaning not accepting some commits. Another reason is Kirby Smart. Now there is no doubt of Kirby's recruiting prowess but his character is a kind of love it or hate. Kirby is very bold and confident but so much it comes off as arrogant. It really hit home last class but not really this class. Now this is probably what most of you do not want to hear but another reason is our tactics. Kirby is very dirty in his tactics. Now Dirty recruiting is just apart of it dabo is pretty bad too but I've been told kirby is taking it too a extreme that isn't sitting well with a lot of the recruits and specifically their parents. A lot of the parents are getting the feeling they don't want Kirby Guiding their children because of how badly he talks of other coaches some of the things aren't nessecarily true either . Now like I said either love it or hate For example deans mom loves kirby and the staff better than anyone. Not trying to be negative just relaying the info I've received over the past couple months. Kirby is still a phenomenal recruiter he just has some things he needs to perfect. He's already recruiting at a high level there is no telling what he'll be capable of when he works out the kinks.

Hold on, now. Let me see if I understand. Kirby Smart comes off as arrogant (not saying that's right or wrong, probably is sometimes) but Nick Saban does not? I call BS.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @dawgOf2002 We all appreciate your info (rumor/opinion/fact based).

Just have one question, what teams do your source(s) pull for ? (Don’t need to name the source just their fan allegence).

I’m guessing “some parents” don’t like the way Dabo, Meyer and Kirby recruit. I’d imagine this comes from a King Saban grovler and they don’t like seeing the competition.

Nailed it. Honestly surprised some Gus vitriol hasn't seeped in either

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's only June! Got some time before the recruits start flooding in.

edited June 12

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    OK. Thanks again for the Bama perspective. Not saying that you are right/wrong/uninformed, just that a lot of your info seems to come through a Bama filter.

Bama filter? I'm not a bama fan

@UGAJ0E said:
    We have a third of our class filled and they are all inside the top 300. We have more 5 stars than anyone else and we have a legitimate shot at 2 more (possibly more as the year goes on). Well finish with a top 5 class following our best class ever.

I think he's doing alright and you're just speculating off of rumors. And when I say 'he' i should really say 'they' since recruiting is a team sport these days with the entire staff.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Just have one question, what teams do your source(s) pull for ? (Don’t need to name the source just their fan allegence).

I’m guessing “some parents” don’t like the way Dabo, Meyer and Kirby recruit. I’d imagine this comes from a King Saban grovler and they don’t like seeing the competition.

I have multiple 1 is a bama fan,2 are Georgia fans, and 1 isn't really a fan of any team. This is what all 4 have been telling me for months now. I didn't figure this was really news to anyone it's kinda been out Kirby recruits dirty for awhile now.

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Like i said dirty recruiting is apart of the game so yes saban does it, Ed O, mullen, anybody really but Kirby does it to a extreme that isn't sitting well with a lot recruits.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 377 ✭✭✭ Junior

There's several reasons why Kirby can't land some recruits. One of those is beyond his control and that is players just want to go out of state. But one area that Kirby and his staff have improved on, it seems, is identifying talent early and offering -- something the previous staff struggled with. Another factor is coaching style. Most kids want to be coached hard, but don't want to be "over coached". And to Kirby's credit, he is aware of this. He won't say that, but he's been doing this for awhile. He knows what's going on.
    Kids want to be coached hard, but the emotional connection needs to be there too.

I'm not trying to come off as a traitor or negative. Kirby is one of the best coaches and recruiters in America. This is just the info I've been getting for a while now and I'm sure most of you know I'm not, not gonna voice my opinion or give my take on something just because it's negative towards our coach I try to be as unbiased as possible.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 12

It’s now Summertime in Athens, Georgia. Georgia IS HOTT IN THE SUMMER!!! Things will definitely start to “heat up” pretty soon for Kirby Smart & our beloved Georgia Bulldogs. Don’t believe me?? Just watch & see for yourself!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 12

Is it slow?

Using Rivals rankings... UGA is tied for second in the number of 4-star commits (behind Bama, tied with OSU, FSU, OU and ND). UGA is tied for second in 5-star commits (behind OU, tied with A&M, PSU, Michigan, and South Carolina).

We're only "slow" because we don't have anyone OTHER than a 4 or 5-star committed. I feel pretty confident we call fill in 3-star guys toward the end of the process if we need to. Why not try for higher rated guys first?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:
    Is it slow?

Using Rivals rankings... UGA is tied for second in the number of 4-star commits (behind Bama, tied with OSU, FSU, OU and ND). UGA is tied for second in 5-star commits (behind OU, tied with A&M, PSU, Michigan, and South Carolina).

We're only "slow" because we don't have anyone OTHER than a 4 or 5-star committed. I feel pretty confident we call fill in 3-star guys toward the end of the process if we need to. Why not try for higher rated guys first?

I just think we mean slow in so much as we haven't had a commit in a while and we have to wait 6 more days for CJ Clark to officially commit. There have been plenty of rumors about one happening soon only to have it not happen. I don't think anyone is doubting the strength of the class, we would just like to see it grow faster than it has so far

@Teddy said:

@dawgOf2002 said:

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Like i said dirty recruiting is apart of the game so yes saban does it, Ed O, mullen, anybody really but Kirby does it to a extreme that isn't sitting well with a lot recruits.

Yeah, it's not sitting so well with recruits that we couldn't find enough spots that wanted to join last year's #1 signing class. And not sitting well for the class with the most 5 stars and highest overall rating average so far this year... Aren't you the one that flips where a recruit is trending just based upon if they visit somewhere, and claim insider knowledge? I'm sure "dirty" recruiting happens, but to say Kirby is the worst and not provide one example is fairly reckless.

You know I said in the initial post that it hit home with last years class if you liked to read it.

@Kasey said:

@DawginSC said:
    Is it slow?

I just think we mean slow in so much as we haven't had a commit in a while and we have to wait 6 more days for CJ Clark to officially commit. There have been plenty of rumors about one happening soon only to have it not happen. I don't think anyone is doubting the strength of the class, we would just like to see it grow faster than it has so far

Yes this.

Some ppl just can't take negative news huh? It's ok tho.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 12

@Kasey said:

@DawginSC said:
    Is it slow?

Is it that different from last year though? We ended up with 5 guys we had committed by the end of June in our 2018 class. We maybe had 2-3 others that left (don't recall exactly). Feels like we're way ahead of last year with better quality players... and last year's class was pretty awesome.

Year before that we ended up with 9 guys we had committed before the end of June.

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgOf2002 said:

I supported your info before, but this is just wreckless , this thread should be taken down

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Perspective. Some people think we are supposed to get a new commitment every week. My theory is that the majority of those people also aren't married and still think sex is a regular habit.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The one thing I keep going back to is that Kirby specifically addressed dirty recruiting lately. Ok, obviously he’ll state that he doesn’t do it. Given. But he also said that any recruits who are susceptible to negative recruiting are gullible and not the caliber of player he wants. Both Kirby and Saban have a way of talking to their players/recruits through the press. Seems odd to me that he’d publicly insult players who listen to negative recruiting, and then sit in a players home and do just that.

My two cents anyways.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:
    So, I think the information is here is good information, but it’s also incomplete information, and I think everyone should consider that before either dismissing or flippin out about it.

There are a few things to consider though.

1. This definitely has a Bama slant to it, which doesn’t necessarily make it bad. 2002 has had a post he deleted talking about his sources and where he lives, and they are Bama related. Also, this opinion about Kirby’s recruiting has been written about on BOL and SECRant before. Bama fans aren’t self aware enough to realize that they aren’t the only elite program that doesn’t negative recruit(bc Saban does).

2. Having an extreme love or hate it kind of vibe isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s better to finish first five times and last five times rather than first twice, and second eight times.

3. This information is INCOMPLETE. Basically, unless we knew which families thought this, it’s impossible to know the biases that might be in play. Two options come to mind immediately.

A. It’s someone that was slowplayed which could’ve been seen as arrogant.
    B. It’s someone that was already very committed and they didn’t like someone trashing a school that they already felt a part of.

Neither of those are a big deal, and they probably aren’t the kind of recruits that end up at UGA anyway.

1. Another thing you can see on Bama boards is the disbelief that Dean could possibly choose UGA over Bama. One astute Bama fan noted that as hard as it is for some of them to believe, some recruits really do just prefer other schools and coaches. The same thing is true for Kirby Smart, some people just aren’t going to like him or his staff for whatever reason, and that is okay.

Anyone that thinks that recruiting has been too slow recently needs to let this process sort itself out. People in the know (ie, not me) seem to think we are going to have another killer class, and it’s my opinions, that until Kirby has a class that is not elite, we should trust that the class will be elite.

“B. It’s someone that was already very committed and they didn’t like someone trashing a school that they already felt a part of.”

I can see this being very true. Whether deliberate or not, one of these heavy bama leans or silent commits could have taken serious offensive to an honest comparison of UGA to bama. It does even have to be dirty, some people really don’t react well to being told their opinion might not be the right or best opinion. How many times have you been out with a group of guys and one dude gets rubbed the wrong way and wants to bail even if everyone else is having a blast? I can see a high schooler trying to poison the well much in the same way.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgOf2002 said:

What'> @Bankwalker said:

Perspective. Some people think we are supposed to get a new commitment every week. My theory is that the majority of those people also aren't married and still think sex is a regular habit.

Sounds like those people are winning at life

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgOf2002 said:

@Teddy said:

@dawgOf2002 said:

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Yeah, it's not sitting so well with recruits that we couldn't find enough spots that wanted to join last year's #1 signing class. And not sitting well for the class with the most 5 stars and highest overall rating average so far this year... Aren't you the one that flips where a recruit is trending just based upon if they visit somewhere, and claim insider knowledge? I'm sure "dirty" recruiting happens, but to say Kirby is the worst and not provide one example is fairly reckless.

You know I said in the initial post that it hit home with last years class if you liked to read it.

Seems to be hitting home just fine with this class too, but guess you can’t read it in my response... Highest average rating and most 5 stars. At this time last year we had 26 spots available and less players onboard than we do this current cycle. As stated before, recruiting only seems slow because 5 of the 8 commits committed in 2017. All that matters from this point forward is winning on the field. Do that and recruiting will take care of itself... I guess we shouldn’t hold our breath waiting for actual proof he’s a dirty recruiter.