It's 2018 Guys! - Raise your Sights and Expectations - Natty Fever

FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anything less than a national championship this year will be a disappointment. The team is good enough, with no team to fear - to be wary, eh? -and the stars are aligning to play their part.

Key elements: The team is good enough. There are enough talented players to seal the deal and are in place to sweep into the SECCG. No doubt about that. Several new coaches in the SEC. No one in SEC West is a concern except Bama. Bama (I'm being respectful) had 6 coaches turn-over within the last year. It will face a UGA team of near parity, with an experienced coaching staff that has worked together +/- for 3 years, and a lights out offense, and a very good defense. This is the year to blast by Bama (may not blast, but, hey, getting by is enough) and take on the CFP rounds.

UGA wins the SECCG. Then what is the barrier/ the bugaboo team? Bama again? No reason to think so. Beating them once will be devestating to their morale. The UGA O will test and sorely stress the D of anyone else. The UGA D will be steady and experienced by the SECCG.

The only barrier to success that may be at play in 2018 could be (lack of) senior and other team leadership. Won't know until the season unfolds. If team leadership is there, then only (bad) luck can interfere with this sweet reverie.

We're mired in 2019 recruiting guessimates. It will be just fine - a great class is coming. Let's get the cosmic energy focused for the big push this fall. We HAVE THE TEAM to take it all. Let me hear you make the call: Gooooo Dawgs!

Comments

• SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior

The dawgs again will be playing for a playoff birth in Atlanta... bama will most likely be the opponent. I see us losing no more than one game in regular season making Atlanta a win and you’re in game. I have a feeling if we win Atlanta there will be no stopping this team.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our time is NOW!!!

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally, I'm putting more stock in our 2019 team rather than 2018. Is it possible to head into the SECCG undefeated? Absolutely. Hell, that should happen. But with some new guy playing defense, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that we drop on (or two) games that we shouldn't. I say we get close in 2018 and win it all in 19

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 11

ESPN FPI Rating. Note that while UGA is 3rd, it leads Bammer in all stats**. Old habits die hard. Charming.

espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Edit It is below Bammer on "Remaining strength of schedule rank".

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

During Georgia’s playoff run in 2017, I remember last year’s press corps kept on asking CKS (over, & over again) is this team here to soon? Are you ahead of schedule? CKS answer was PERFECT “There is NO schedule, with the players on your team?, what you have, is what you have.” GO DAWGS!!!

All things are possible from the (obvious) disappointment of a 10-2 & some other New Year’s Day Bowl, to winning the “Natty”... this year could be the “Revenge 2.0 tour”. Simply beating Bama on the way to a “Natty”... CKS will NEVER say it, & NEVER let the players even BREATHE it. But right now? Georgia is on THEIR minds WAY more than BAMA is in Georgia’s. Why??? Because of all the trolls right here is all the proof needed!!!! GEORGIA IS DOING THINGS RIGHT. Someone else, hears footsteps. GO DAWGS!!!

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jgf1031 said:
    Personally, I'm putting more stock in our 2019 team rather than 2018. Is it possible to head into the SECCG undefeated? Absolutely. Hell, that should happen. But with some new guy playing defense, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that we drop on (or two) games that we shouldn't. I say we get close in 2018 and win it all in 19

I have to agree on this one. Can we win a natty this year? Yes, but I think it’s more realistic in 2019. We have come a long way in a short time in the depth chart, but the 2-3 deep depth chart is heavily dependent on freshmen and sophomores. Just not a lot of playing time experience. The talent is there – although we’re still not quite as deep and Bama and/or Clemson. And, yes, I’m sure some will throw in, “Look at all the blue chips we have in the 2-3 deep,” but not all blue chips live up to their expectations and you can’t “teach” experience. I love our Dawgs as much as anyone and I’m as optimistic as any Dawg fan, just being a realist here.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ve been following players on instagram and when there’s mention of their goals they all say getting back to the natty. There’s plenty of leadership on this team albeit young leadership it’s leadership the same. Godwin, Fromm, Swift, Thomas and Nauta on the offensive side of the ball. Led Walker Baker RLIII and I think big Julian steps up the leadership role this year. That’s all the media keeps talking about is our leadership but it seems they haven’t done their homework. We “shouldn’t” be tested until the SECCG and I get the feeling that’s gonna be a shootout. After that the only teams in the playoff to worry about is Clemson and OSU both with new QBs most likely. I think we have the opportunity to go back to back barring injuries stacking up. Mark it down DAWGS ON TOP

GO DAWGS!!!