SI.com article on why the NFL is better than college

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For a good laugh, read this:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/11/college-football-ncaa-rules-difference-pros

I'd like to go point by point with a rebuttal, but that would be a long post. Let's just say I disagree with every point made. The NFL is stale and boring. I think I have watched maybe 3 NFL games in the last two years. It's slow, bogged down with endless instant-reviews and rules nit-picking, and individual games do not count. Stadiums are half full and the pageantry just isn't there. I get that this writer is an NFL fan, but his points are weak and personal. I'd rather watch Vandy play KY than watch your average NFL game.

Thoughts?

Comments

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last NFL game I actually got excited watching was when Julio put up 300 yds receiving. Against Green Bay I think? The only thing that makes the NFL any fun is fantasy football, if you're into that kind of thing.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolute c r a p. And it’s not even close. GO DAWGS!!!

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 280 ✭✭✭ Junior

While I whole-heartedly agree that college is much more entertaining than NFL, I think for some it depends on where you live. Like say Pittsburgh for example. If my only college team to root for was Pitt, I'd probably be more of a Steelers fan since they are always relevant, win championships, etc.

I got muuuch more excited watching the Dawgs when I was younger because we won most of the time and the Falcons, well, didn't.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is not a single thing in the NFL that compares to college rivalries like UGA/fla, OSU/Mich, FSU/Miami, OU/Texas...and so many others. Also, there is no such thing as a true upset in the NFL. If the Browns beat the Pats would it be as big a deal as Iowa St beating OU? Not even close (not to mention any FCS beating an FBS team). I don't care that the NFL has the more talented players, the quality of play in college is much more interesting, compelling and exciting.

edited July 11

In college football (I’m 55, if that matters?) the players IMHO almost NEVER “take plays off”... they’re still auditioning to become millionaires in the NFL. In the NFL??? They’ve now “been paid”, and then with that luxury you see time & again, the character flaw of complacency & dare I say laziness? rear their u g l y heads. This is just ONE of the “there are just too many things to list” reasons that college is king in my mind (& heart too!). GO DAWGS!!!

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally prefer NFL... But its only the Packers. Watching Rodgers work his magic you won't see at the college level. I don't watch too many other teams outside of "my" teams and Baseball is my usual go to.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didnt know the nfl still played ... thought their player had that couldntstandis disease... hard to play football when you can't even stand for 2 minutes

@BamaDawg amen.

• PigeonsPigeons Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder if this has anything to do about it?

Benoit is a graduate of The College of Idaho.

He grew up in Boise and went to a school without a football team. Not too shocking that he doesn't like college football. :sweat_smile: what a joke of an article.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You know it's a slow news day when SI has to resort to running a lame piece like that.

@DawgBones ain't that the truth!

@Pigeons said:
    I wonder if this has anything to do about it?

Benoit is a graduate of The College of Idaho.

He grew up in Boise and went to a school without a football team. Not too shocking that he doesn't like college football. :sweat_smile: what a joke of an article.

I went to a P-10 school (WAZZU). Later I lived in San Diego for 6 years. Nobody cares about college football on the west coast.

• PigeonsPigeons Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    I went to a P-10 school (WAZZU). Later I lived in San Diego for 6 years. Nobody cares about college football on the west coast.

I lived in Lake Tahoe for a few years and it amazed me how little they cared. Other then the occasional Oregon/USC fan requesting a game, bars didn't even have college games turned on.

I lived in cali and hawaii for about 7 years ... I use invite the friends over to the house for a breakfast tailgate (bacon, eggs, gravy) and then watch the early games... they were amazed at all the effort the wife and I put into it.... but they loved the omelettes

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That article reads like it was written by somebody who doesn't watch either sport and just looked at a set of dry ''facts'' and thinks he understands something, but he's clueless as to what makes CFB so great from a fan's perspective.

edited July 11

@Pigeons said:

@pgjackson said:

I lived in Lake Tahoe for a few years and it amazed me how little they cared. Other then the occasional Oregon/USC fan requesting a game, bars didn't even have college games turned on.

In Colorado, The Western Slope actually, neither high school or college ball has much following, The Broncos rule the state.
    They don't have the grass roots connections to sports that we have. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any University Of Colorado gear during the 5 years I lived there.

In a nut shell the author of that piece seems clueless to the loyalty, passion and source of those emotions that drive the love of college football. It's a grassroots sport.

• levanderlevander Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I personally prefer NFL... But its only the Packers. Watching Rodgers work his magic you won't see at the college level. I don't watch too many other teams outside of "my" teams and Baseball is my usual go to.

That to me is the one thing the NFL has. It’s been years since I really watched the Falcons. But watching Matt Ryan barely get a pass off as a defender is jumping on top of him and then Julio catches it on the sidelines as he’s falling down and almost out of bounds with another defender right on top of him... You don’t get that kind of technical excellence out of college football.

But despite college football having turned into more of a nationalized sport with a few powerhouse programs emerging, it’s still way more unpredictable than pro football. Like Auburn beating both Alabama and Georgia last year, then not even making it to the playoffs despite both Alabama and Georgia being there... and it’s just easier to root for young guys trying to make something out of themselves than it is to root for a grown man being paid 6 and 7 figures...

I hadn’t thought about this before, but with Georgia becoming one of the few powerhouses, the game might get stale for me. Going into 95% of our games knowing we’re gonna win by a large margin... I might become one of those fans who mostly just watches the post-season. We’ll see what happens...

@levander said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

That to me is the one thing the NFL has. It’s been years since I really watched the Falcons. But watching Matt Ryan barely get a pass off as a defender is jumping on top of him and then Julio catches it on the sidelines as he’s falling down and almost out of bounds with another defender right on top of him... You don’t get that kind of technical excellence out of college football.

But despite college football having turned into more of a nationalized sport with a few powerhouse programs emerging, it’s still way more unpredictable than pro football. Like Auburn beating both Alabama and Georgia last year, then not even making it to the playoffs despite both Alabama and Georgia being there... and it’s just easier to root for young guys trying to make something out of themselves than it is to root for a grown man being paid 6 and 7 figures...

I hadn’t thought about this before, but with Georgia becoming one of the few powerhouses, the game might get stale for me. Going into 95% of our games knowing we’re gonna win by a large margin... I might become one of those fans who mostly just watches the post-season. We’ll see what happens...

Of course The NFL has more concentrated talent and the skill level is superior, CFB is about grassroots loyalty and passion. If you feel it, you understand it.

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BamaDawg said:
    Didnt know the nfl still played ... thought their player had that couldntstandis disease... hard to play football when you can't even stand for 2 minutes

Please don't bring that argument into the forum. That's a slippery slope that could turn into the WWII post we have gotten lately. To many politics for my liking already.

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

Please don't bring that argument into the forum. That's a slippery slope that could turn into the WWII post we have gotten lately. To many politics for my liking already.

WWII is history, not politics, but I get your purist view, though I don't completely share it.

• donmdonm Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Politics is warfare - disguised? I guess one might one might say the opposite, with less of a disguise?

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

WWII is history, not politics, but I get your purist view, though I don't completely share it.

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

WWII was about politics as well, especially WWII and the reasons it even started. I just feel we are all more pleasant here when we just talk DAWGS and college sports in general. I respect your view on the subjects though.

@BrooklynDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

WWII was about politics as well, especially WWII and the reasons it even started. I just feel we are all more pleasant here when we just talk DAWGS and college sports in general. I respect your view on the subjects though.

There is nothing political in a discussion about WWII, unless 1 participant is sympathetic to The Axis cause.

edited July 11

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Of course The NFL has more concentrated talent and the skill level is superior, CFB is about grassroots loyalty and passion. If you feel it, you understand it.

Fromm threw about a dozen pinpoint backshoulder passes last year that rival anything NFL QBs are doing. Check that 3rd quarter long bomb Fromm dropped on Bama...no NFL QB could have done that better. I know the NFL is the cream of the crop, but I really don't see NFL players doing anything top college players aren't doing. And what the NCAA delivers that the NFL does not is variety. Triple option, RPO, West Coast, Spread, Pro-Set, Hurry-up...every team has a different flavor. In the NFL, every team seems to run the same 10-15 plays over and over.

Here's a sample.

@BrooklynDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

The OP was concerning an article about why the nfl is better than college. Politics currently in the nfl is one of the reasons it has lost its luster. I understand your hesitation, but I didnt bring politics into this conversation, certain people in the nfl did that for us. I just posted one of my reasons for not believing that the nfl isnt better than college.

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Fromm threw about a dozen pinpoint backshoulder passes last year that rival anything NFL QBs are doing. Check that 3rd quarter long bomb Fromm dropped on Bama...no NFL QB could have done that better. I know the NFL is the cream of the crop, but I really don't see NFL players doing anything top college players aren't doing. And what the NCAA delivers that the NFL does not is variety. Triple option, RPO, West Coast, Spread, Pro-Set, Hurry-up...every team has a different flavor. In the NFL, every team seems to run the same 10-15 plays over and over.

Here's a sample.

You lost me with that post.
    There is no comparison to the skill level of the NFL. The arm is 1 thing, knowing how to play at the pro level is a whole other thing.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 222 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nfl= sucks

I know the skill level is greater, but it's not like college players aren't making the same plays as the pros. I don't watch the NFL and actually see a higher level of play. Hardman's one-handed TD catch against ND, the long bomb against Bama, pick a highlight run from Chubb and Michel, watch our defense...it all looks the same as the NFL, just a lot more exciting. Just saying when you watch an NFL game, they are not doing things that you don't see in college.